Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

JcDent posted:

I just hope the fuckers periscope more of Steven Segalls Movies.
His earlier movies, before he went completely down the drain into direct-to-video, are pretty ripe for Chapo critique. Movies like Marked for Death, On Deadly Ground and Fire Down Below have this weird liberal hippie viewpoint where they fetishize marginalized cultures while still portraying them as awful stereotypes. And that's without getting into the environmentalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

"As a follower of the Dalai Llama I believe all life is precious but if you are slightly rude to me I will snap your bones into acute angles with no warning"
Yeah so, a Chapo thread is a totally appropriate place to diss martial arts. If you want to beat people up, but also avoid maiming them, judo is actually way better for that and it works.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Where do goblins fit in? I really want my liberal Alex Jones.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Well it's so popular that they had to institute a ticketing system, so he's already on the wrong side of history. So to speak.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Flip Yr Wig posted:

You could probably figure out a way to make gardening fascistic. Something about selective breeding, blood and soil, intentional communities. Hell if I'll do the math on that one.
Uh, excuse me, I think you'll find that Maoist gardening killed far more people than Nazi gardening. Check and mate libtards.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
He wears a leather jacket to sit at his computer desk. I'm guessing his real beef is with Tessier-Ashpool SA.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
So, same as for the gangstalking victims.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

little munchkin posted:

i don't understand the point anyone here is trying to make
Liberals are stunted half-wits who were raised by mass media and don't actually believe in anything, so they can't even consider real politics except by comparing politicians to fantasy characters.

Like can you imagine Harvard students in the 60s forming an anti-Nixon group and calling it the Fellowship of the Ring?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Ronald Reagan is like Hermione Granger because a lot of Republican dads have a disgusting fetish for them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That guy looks like Mike Huckabee if he bottled his own kombucha, holy poo poo

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The United States has a Democratic Party for the same reason the Third Reich had a national labor union.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Amber is a reading series superstar and should be on the show more often.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Cloks posted:

It's five stratego moves ahead.
Nerd spotted! You were playing checkers, we were playing Axis & Allies.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Funny, that didn't happen when I was looking up Don Rickles the other day.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

If zack Snyder had ever made an unironically good movie, I would believe you
Snyder makes ironically good movies, it's his thing.

It's hilarious to me that he made a film where a brothel madam is going on about how dancing around in sexy outfits is empowering, is immediately interrupted by a pimp staring into the camera saying "This is about making me money!" and people will work themselves up into a frenzy insisting that Zack Snyder doesn't know the meaning of irony or parody.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Just became Grey Wolf, totally worth it. Going through all the episodes start to finish. The only stuff I don't care for is the live audience stuff.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
best president movie is Death Race 2000 you loving scrubs

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Dave Barry is a silly old man, but he once said that West Wing is about Serious People boldly striding everywhere, talking about stuff the average person doesn't give a gently caress about as if it's gravely important, which I think is pretty fair.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Getting Trump angry at you is the least ambitious political agenda in this or any possible universe.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Why not just wait to jerk off until after you get turned down for sex
They're cucks, they need permission to jerk off.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Was listening to, I think, ep. 37 and I had to turn it off when they asked their guest what his latest meme is now that Dicks Out for Harambe is passe.

Who the gently caress is this guy?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

prefect posted:

Brandon Wardell. He's great on Cum Town -- Nick just goofs on him pretty much nonstop. Even when he's not there.
So I see he had a brief, panned stand-up career before he got a job hosting shows where he just talks about Twitter. Sounds about right.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Zikan posted:

the Bradon Wardell episode is acknowledged to be the worst Chapo episode by far to the point where a guest made a joke that bombed during another episode and Will immediately went "Brandon Wardell , everyone!"
I am a little impressed with how he sounds even less interested in anything he's saying than anyone he talks to. I assume it takes some practice to get that tone of voice down.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Still? No way. That came out the year I graduated from high school.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
One of my students is now being stalked by a tradcath, gently caress this earth

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Dr.Radical posted:

I'm going through History of Rome and thoroughly enjoying it. Because of it my new go-to phrase of exasperation is "Sweet Jupiter!"
Why not double down and make it "Great Caesar's Ghost!"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Serf posted:

is it wrong of me to think of libs as people who just need a little pushing to come around on things? i feel like they're a hell of a lot closer to where we need to be than the other side of the fence. seems like a lot of libs in my social circles are changing their tune as time goes on
Never count out the possibility that the liberal middle class will run screaming toward fascism as soon as their own privilege is threatened. But I'm optimistic that you'll continue to see more liberals coming around, because it's increasingly obvious to them that inequality keeps growing, the status quo favours an ever smaller elite, and oligarchy rather than some dreaded Other is to blame. For example a woman I dated, who is doing her residency now, was posting articles about how physicians are shifting from employers to employed and the threat this poses to their generally middle-class status.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Chapo is a great entry drug to leftism and has had some loving fantastic guests but I think you have to have your brain broken by twitter first for it to click.
The thing I enjoy least about Chapo is the Extremely Twitter poo poo No One Cares About, but I "get" the sense of humour just from being vaguely aware of FYAD over the years. I mean I do post on Twitter, but in fits of pique when I'm bored. I'm too old and crotchety to understand how all these people can be extremely online 24/7 without ever getting tired of it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

GNU Order posted:

Surely the 30k posts you have made on this dead comedy forum would afford you some level of empathy for posting.
Oh totally, but I appreciate that there's an archive of everything I've ever posted. I can find my old posts, I can read Let's Plays or whatever that were posted years ago, I can read megathreads on topics that interest me with lengthy detailed OPs. Facebook and Twitter and Tumblr aren't set up for depth of content, and if you don't engage with the platform constantly, it's actively hostile to going back and reading anything you've missed.

At least half of the blowups and meltdowns on liberal Twitter/Tumblr are because people try to have discussion threads on a platform that doesn't do discussion threads.

quote:

But now imagine the forums have always been in your pocket and people can notify you and send you a push alert
I don't think you pick up what I'm putting down. This is like "But now imagine the forums give you AIDS and stomach cancer."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Amber is awesome, even when she's on she doesn't say much, but it's always perfectly timed and hilarious.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The canteen? Jeez, he is British.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I can't wait for Eli Roth to make a movie out of this.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm surprised that the tradcath thing didn't come up in their interview with Angela Nagle. I get that Douthat and Dreher aren't part of the alt-right, but I've encountered a sliver of young-ish tradcaths who are pretty much that type of guy, they just become conservative Catholics instead. Old Right instead of alt-right, and they repeat a lot of the same anti-feminist, anti-trans, etc. memes.

Which actually makes some sense to me, because if the salient factor is that you're a man who rejects liberal society because you can't get along in it, joining a conservative religious movement is maybe a better route to actually finding your place in a community than going down the 4chan rabbit hole.

Phone posted:

The trad cath loser? Holy poo poo, if you ever want to yell at your radio/phone/computer monitor/whatever, screamlisten to that one.
I only listened to the recap, so I found it far more funny than it was annoying. It seemed like he really only had one trick in his playbook, and he was totally flustered when his TRUTH BOMB didn't blow the Dry Boys' minds.

"If you...support...abortion...then you...support...NAZI CONCENTRATION CAMPS! Ever think about that? What? You're not getting it? Okay. If you...believe in...gay marriage...then you...believe in...TURTLES MARRYING CHILDREN! Wait, I'll come in again..."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Digital Jedi posted:

I'm going back and listening to all the episode before I found Chapo (about episode 20). Currently on episode 3 and it's so weird listening to them knowing what will happen in the election.

Chakan posted:

It's painful to think of re-listening to their stuff from this time last year. The episodes right before the conventions especially would probably kill me.

The Crotch posted:

The immediately post-conventions episode with Dan O'Sullivan is seriously one of my favourites. Not coincidentally, it's probably the one where the inadequacies of the Clinton campaign and its messaging are best highlighted and the Dry Boys come the closest to realizing what's about to happen.
I didn't start listening until a week before Christmas, so this is my default Chapo experience. (By the way, "El Chapo" sounds like Christmas music.) And I just recently became a supporter, so I'm going through it again listening through all the premium episodes.

The thing is, they come off looking a lot better than most. They laid out very intelligently why Trump appealed to a lot of people, why Hillary is a horrible candidate in every way, why both major parties are morally bankrupt, and why the media went along for the ride. But then after doing that they just conclude with "...but Hillary's going to win and continue the bullshit neoliberal status quo."

I think the most cringeworthy thing I've heard so far is listening to episode 51 or 53 when Matt says "polls are accurate if you have enough of them."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

MikeCrotch posted:

Gorka shouldn't have bet his career on that game of Axis and Allies
Gorka would never lose a game of A&A. Probably Mattis baited him into trying Advanced Squad Leader for the first time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It did strike me as odd that people were focusing on Nate Silver in the aftermath (via that Onion article and in more serious articles) when his polls actually gave Trump a better chance than anyone else's that I know of. I think it was just that he was the only professional pollster who had any name recognition.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
What if your labour is writing a blog for a magazine nobody reads?

Also, anyone else like Dead Pundits? I got interested in Angela Nagle's work thanks to Chapo and she did a great interview with him as well.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I thought they kicked Poochie off the Itchy & Scratchy show???

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Flip Yr Wig posted:

You could probably figure out a way to make gardening fascistic. Something about selective breeding, blood and soil, intentional communities. Hell if I'll do the math on that one.
Just noticed this again, and the Nazis absolutely had agronomists advocating quasi-mystical blood and soil stuff.

There are a lot of facile comparisons between Trump and the Nazi Party out there, but one valid one that still strikes me is how many untalented kooks and cranks both administrations brought in because they parroted the right fashionable nonsense.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Bryter posted:

So then a doctor earning $200,000 a year is upper class? That seems weird to me, I think of the Vanderbilts or Kennedys or some other insanely wealthy and powerful clan of creeps when I think of an American upper class, not well paid professionals.
First of all, bear in mind that a doctor making $200,000 is in the 6th percentile, even assuming their salary is the entire household income and they have no investment or other income. But that's a good question because working class status also concerns things like your working conditions and precarity, and medicine is a profession that's shifting more and more from employer to employed.

By the way, where does the Dry Boy thing really come from? Because I listened to all the free episodes, I'm working my way through the premium ones (currently somewhere around 55, I just let the playlist run) and this is not a thing outside of Felix's weird multifaceted persona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Felix is the real baby face, which is really funny given how cartoonishly huge the rest of him is.
Yeah but he has the facial symmetry of a Picasso painting

cat doter posted:

a classless society would own all we have to do is actually follow through and consume the flesh of the wealthy
Tim the Cannibal has nothing on us!