Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MiddleOne posted:

Every DS and PSP game pretty much.
Also, most of the later GBA ones. GX Duel Academy was kind of the sweetspot, as long as you don't mind the really, really old cardpool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Update #8: It Wouldn't Be a Finale Without a Rapid-Fire String of "gently caress You"'s.

UGGGHHH. I am completely tapped out when it comes to this game. My hatred was enough to keep me going, but now I'm on the edge of being broken.

Like, I'm currently LPing Digimon World 3 (/shameless plug) and that has a metric poo poo-ton of grinding in it, but HOLY poo poo you have issues dude.

It's finally time to enter the Vast Shrine with our 6 Millennium Items and end this stupid game.

Just in case you selected this location by accident, the game gives you one final chance to back out. Recall what I said, this game forces you to play through six or seven consecutive duels depending if you did the sidequest or not. Yeah, you better make sure your deck is well-structured.

Y'know, I'm actually surprised. With this game, I'd fully expected them just to slap you across the face and make you do the boss run anyway.

I'll open it for you.

Does this location look familiar to you? This was the same place where Teana was held. Yup, we were literally at the final dungeon. This makes Heishin's decision to leave even more baffling, among other things.

Along the way, you'll find mages that have sworn to protect him. It is wise to be cautious...

Man, what a secret passage. Another door!

It has handles :cripes:

...Snake and eagle hats.

Hats still undeniably the best worst part of this game.

Neku the Skillful! This is where it all ends...

Well, that got one thing right. This is the final update.

:toot: thank gently caress for that

These dudes are essentially Low Mages in terms of deck power, but the field defaults to Dark.

But Neku... He shall defeat you!!!

Oh man, we have to duel the Prince one at a time, even though there are two people invading!

Let's see what you got!!!

But you just saw that when we dueled- Nevermind. Not even worth it.

Y'know, that's what I tell myself every time you send me an update.

Yeah, I'm not even sure if there are any special properties with their decks since one's power, the other's skill. Not that there would be considering there are no Monster Effects?

Everything surrounding Heishin has been a complete clusterfuck. Can this game repeat that habit a 3rd time?

I want you guys to note the background in this screenshot. Just keep in mind where we are.

That's a lot of Eye of Horus.

I haven't come this far to be beaten by a child!!!

VS Sebak/Neru/Heishin 2nd

The third duel I used a GameShark cheat that lets you see the opponent's hand. Why? Well, take a look at what Heishin did at 3:39. He changed one of the cards in his hand. Yup! Meet the AI's second ability to cheat: Card Morphing! They can change one card in their hand to any card they have access to, at any time. Every duel from Heishin 2nd to the end of the game can do this. In addition, they all have Pegasus' vision, meaning they can see all of our facedowns!

You put down a facedown? The AI will morph a card into Harpie's Feather Duster, destroying it. You buff one of your monsters? The AI will morph a card into Shadow Spell, debuffing it by 1,000 Attack Points. First turn of the game? The AI can summon Gate Guardian with morphing. The AI needs to fight your buffed card? Call forth a Mega Morph. You're about to win? Raigeki. The AI has the capability to make perfect decisions and is unencumbered by the RNG.

WHAT. THE. gently caress.

Aaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahah

HAAAAAAAhhhahahahahaaahahahahah

Holy poo poo this GAME. It just keeps getting worse!

...The eyes.

What the hell is with his teeth?

Suicide Glitch - During any duel with Heishin 2nd and Seto 3rd (come on, it's obvious another duel with him is coming up), they have a chance at killing their own monsters by attacking stronger ones that you have. When the AI scans your field, it checks for which monster is the weakest so they can deal the highest Life Point damage. Fair enough.

But there's a bug associated with them: they only scan the BASE power of the monster and not the most up-to-date attack power. So, if I had a monster with 2,800 ATK, but I boosted it by 1,000 Attack points, the AI thinks the monster in question still has 2,800 Attack points! You can see how this is helpful and abusable.

It's a neat little shortcut in doing the math - the game checks to see how much Life Point damage they can do, and if it's zero or less (i.e. if they attacked their monsters would be destroyed) then they won't attack and will put their monsters in defense mode. It makes sense; if you can't do Life Point damage, then the weakest monster we have is stronger than the strongest monster they have. In that case, you'd want to be in defense mode, so as to not lose Life Points of your own.

But because of this glitch, if the game has a monster with (let's say) 3000 ATK, which is coincidentally the same ATK as a Blue Eyes, and you have a monster with 2500 + 1000 ATK (or, in other words, a Dark Magician plus Megamorph) then the game will think that they can do 500 Life Points in damage and attack, thus suiciding against us.

Remember when I said to take a look at the background? We just went back into the previous duel with Sebak and Neru. Holy poo poo, we just found a game bug! YAAAAAAY!

No, no, clearly we just dueled so hard that the world itself warped and twisted.

Heishin ran away, so that means it wasn't a Shadow Game, since he didn't suffer any injuries. Let me repeat that.

We didn't start a Shadow Game with the main villian.

extra, extra, the main character is a colossal moron :nallears: read all about it

Osiris, is that you?

This game switches backgrounds again. What was the point of that? It's only one extra textbox. Could have easily kept it with the last picture.

...Another bug?

So, we crossed the mountains and go through King's Valley to enter the Forbidden Ruins. The party crossed a fair distance in order to reach this next plot point. Think about that for a minute. The developers could have easily cut this boss rush segment in half and it would be better paced for the player.

Let's be clear here; the developers knew what they were doing. They knew that the player will get so fed up with grinding that they'll just throw their hands up and say "my deck is good enough, I just need to get lucky." Indeed, if you get lucky, you could probably get off that one fusion monster and beef it up to a high attack level and just power through everything. The problem is that you got 6 duels back to back. You might get lucky enough to win one, two, perhaps even 3 duels. But 6? With the AI's cheating bullshit? No, not happening unless you roll Natural 20's on an hourly basis. You need a reliable deck. That's the only real reason why you can't save.

This game is so blatantly manipulative that it's digusting.

Like, I have so many words I could be saying about game design and luck versus skill, and none of them loving matter because this game just saps all of my will to keep doing co-commentary.

Seto's a b-b-bad guy!? OH NOOOO

Quelle surprise.

I mean, really. Who didn't see this coming. Even if you haven't seen anything Yu-Gi-Oh related.

I mean, seriously, look at his face. That is not a trustworthy face.

Probably could have just stabbed the dude in the back, literally speaking. But what do I know?

...saving me the trouble of doing it myself!!!

This game has a nasty habit of putting 3 exclamation marks at the end of every sentence!!!

It's kinda annoying!!!

You just said that!!!

Fixed that for you. You missed a few exclamation marks.

They belong to the highborn... They can only be held by a noble... One such as myself.

Now, this may seem like a retarded line, and indeed, it is. But he actually has a slightly deeper meaning to what he said. Basically, the writer chose the wrong word when he wrote "noble." Give it a few textboxes.

You know what would have been cool foreshadowing? If we could have understood the symbols on the wall. But no.

Hm... "Fut snek sqweegl sqweegl burd".

Do you know why this place is called the Forbidden Ruins?

Durrr, because bad things.

There's a sound of a panel in the floor opening up.

A table? :v:

And now I intend to summon him... Here, to these very chambers... I will renew that pact, and regain the power to rule over all!!!

Oh no!!!

What a shock...

Seto 3rd is probably the hardest duel in the game, mainly because he can frequently summon one card in particular.

This. This is the strongest card in the game. And naturally, he can morph any card he wants into it, as well as knowing what cards you try to hide facedown.

But I have to bring up another point. What is the strongest card in the game that the player can reasonably get their hands on?

The strongest card we can have caps out at 3,500. The AI can summon cards that are two levels higher than that...in a game where Attack is the only stat that matters.

So why is that the case?

This is what's called a Pocketstation. In Japan, this was a popular accessory for your Playstation 1. Many games would lock away certain features or resources in games and have it be accessible via a code input from this. You plugged it in, got a code, and got power. Pay-to-win, people.

And that's why these card costs are all 999,999. They didn't want you buying them legitimately. Gotta use that peripheral.

"No it's a fair business strategy where you get to pay extra money if you enjoy the game and " :fuckoff: NO.

3 Updates Ago posted:

This? This is supposed to be the code for the Ritual card for Magician of Black Chaos.

Straight up unobtainable without Pocketstation. Not even 999,999. This is terrible on its own merits, and I don't have to explain why, but the Pocketstation was never released outside Japan. So, the difficulty curve, while still lovely in the original version, at least had a way to get around the early sections and make grinding go a little faster. But the English localizers did not bother to make adjustments to compensate!

Look, localizers, I understand your bosses probably told you to remove this functionality from the game. But there was no reason at all to leave the rest how it was. Change the cost of the loving cards. Remove the AI's access to the strongest cards in the game since we can't get them. Give at least an iota of thought about the player.

Maybe you didn't have the time, and the environment was probably a lot different than it is today, but the fact is that removing the functionality and changing nothing else just made the game somehow way worse. This is what happens when you don't compensate for changes in your design. It's just careless and these are mistakes I'd expect from a loving first-time developer.

tl;dr: gently caress you, game designers, gently caress you. And a very special gently caress you to the localizers.

On the less ranty side, I made this duel a little bit special. Those of you who watched the anime can probably tell what my deck was emulating. shibbotech, you definitely should see this one. Here is a GIF of the AI's cheating bullshit that needs to be shown everywhere.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA gently caress THIS GAME gently caress IT gently caress IT gently caress IT

VS Seto 3rd

I am genuinely amazed about the bullshit present in this duel, from both sides. (And for those keeping track, that's duel number 4 in a row.)

Please... Not like this...

The game actually put forth effort here. There's a special animation for Exodia and even has new music for the occasion.

AGH! IMPOSSIBLE!

You see, game!? That's putting effort into the right place: the part where the player's gameplay is directly affected. Summoning Exodia is a huge pain as there are no cards that give you more drawing power in this game. Still, getting Exodia guarantees an S-rank. Although, you can't obtain all 5 pieces of Exodia because the legs can only be obtained from Pocketstation. Hooray for goon card submissions!

This choice, while a sensible one given the revelation, is completely irrelevant.

Oh no he came back i didn't see this coming

See, Seto!? HE BROUGHT A WEAPON!

poo poo, they found the Millennium Dagger

I've known he descended from the Dark Houshold for some time now.

And that's what Seto meant by "noble birth." His family was just part of the asshats who used a very bad magical force. :v:

Aha, the old "let myself get defeated so I can spring my trap!" You know, Heishin, if you won the duel, you wouldn't have had to do this. After all, we probably would have left the Shrine and just pouted if we lost. And if you suspected him of treachery, then just kill him!

...This still doesn't explain why Heishin left when Seto kidnapped Teana. If you thought he was betraying you, you wouldn't want to leave Seto ALONE with the Pharoah, would you? :rant:

Oh no, dude, you're plenty senile.

Oh, is that so? Heishin couldn't get into this room without Seto's help. Something something, only the correct bloodlines can open it. Uhh.

That's... I don't... what...? I've just kinda checked out on the plot at this point, is this the first time we're told only someone immersed in the Dark Side of the Force can open the door?

This game. This game actually has the nerve to offer up a choice. The only reason this would be here is to reflect the player's growth and liking to a character (or lack thereof). Problem is, why the hell should we save Seto? Seriously, WHY!? The very last thing he did was to try and take over the world! We're supposed to care all of a sudden?

You know what? gently caress you game. This is my defiance!

F

U

C

K

T

H

I

S

G

A

M

E

OKAY FINE!

WHATEVER

This game is a bigger shitposter than I. And that's saying something.

Now I can summon the DarkNite!!!

Come to me, Darkness!!! Grant me the power!!! Grant me the world!!!

Time to steal Yeti's joke.

"Millennium Items, fill me with everlasting darkness!"

Bastard. Taking away one of the few things I enjoy in this co-commentary gig.

Meet our final boss: Macho Man Randy Savage.

Somehow he has a pointier chin than Heishin. Like, is that possible? It just comes to a point on his chest.

You command me to what?

:nyd:

Why should I be compelled to obey you...?

Gee, this guy called forth by the powers of Darkness is a dick. Who would have thought?

This, unironically, is the best dialogue to have ever come of this game. I'm being serious. DarkNite's a complete dick and he loves it.

And now you must honor the pact! You must obey me!!!

Dude, just give it up.

Hahahahahahaha. Amazing. Macho Man Randy Savage just suplexed this bitch. :allears:

Can we pull an anime-Seto (or Weevil) and rip the card in half?

^^^ accurate

YES! YESSSS!!!!

For once, Forbidden Memories did something right. It made me smile once right before the very end. It's not even because Heishin sucks. It's because Randy Savage is so...well, savage.

What is this feeling, so sudden and new?

It's... enjoyment. I enjoyed a screenshot in this LP.

Ah, so he is the Game Master. Wait, why would you make cards when you have an unstoppable edge in magic? :v:

And the best place to start is with this miserable planet... these miserable creatures...

Yeah, this whole backstory isn't really explained. He created all the cards that people use, and I guess they sealed him away because he was a massive dick. But then why aren't the cards sealed away if they have bits of his power. :v:

Remember those Millennium Items we turned into cards in the present? They finally come into play here. You can see why I forgot this at first. It doesn't come up until one scene at the very end.

But he has powers over cards. So he has power over the Millennium Cards.

Also we can have the Millennium Shield card, I think, so what the gently caress?

Use them! Use the cards to send that thing back...

How do you know this, Seto? No really, how does he know this? Did Seto come to the future, to- ah, gently caress it. Defenders of this game, insert bullshit explanation here!

Woah, that's a spanking eye symbol on our chest.

It's worth noting that the eye on our chest is the Eye of Horus, while the eye on Randy's chest is the Millennium Eye.

You mean 6. Can't you count, Seto?

I'll tell you what... I'll give you one chance.

Yeah, uh, looks like it's a Shadow Game, since he can use all the Millennium Items that Heishin gave to him.

Beat me in a duel, and I will go home... quietly. Now come on... Let's play...

DarkNite has access to just about every Magic card in the game, as well as the strongest monsters. And yes, he can see all your cards and morph his cards as well.

Paradoxically, he's easier than Seto 3rd because he has too many options. The AI mainly just rolls the dice to decide what card it wants if there's no clear condition to check for: e.g., spawn Harpie's Feather Duster if the player puts down a trap card. Because of that, you could end up with a super easy DarkNite, or a hard one.

No... No... I CANNOT LOSE!!!

The screen starts shaking and then he...

...evolves into Randy Skeleton Nightmare.

Oh, so that's how he got that beard spike. He just had an implant.

VS Final Boss

The devs showed mercy for the last fight in this game. Nightmare's deck contains only monster cards, so as long as you got a card that can stop Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon, you've won.

When you activate the 3D battles, the framerate drops a bit, but I believe that's moreso an emulator issue.

There's actually a sound effect that plays that sounds like a loud yell. It's great.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WE DID IT! THIS GAME IS loving OVER!

HAHAHA YES

WE DID IT. WE BEAT THE GAME

Seto! You forgot your hat!

And we're wielding the Millennium Rod? Game please.

Yeah, the game's paning upwards again.

Which apparently means King of Games. You know, the same name that Kaiba's Present-Day tournament was called? Wait a minute...loving PARADOXES.

After you beat the final boss, you can save and start a new game with the same deck you ended with. If you felt like playing this shithole of a game, that is.

And this secret code is relevant for another game called Duelist of the Roses -- a PS2 Yu-Gi-Oh! game. Anyone in the thread wanna try this code and see what you get?

...That's it? That's the entire ending? BOOO! BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Ahem. I'd just like to issue a public service announcement to those poor unfortunate souls who have brain damage have terrible taste happen to like this game: there's gonna be a lot of screaming during the credits, so you can just go ahead and skip them.

As for me, I'm just gonna kick back and enjoy the show. It's my own reward for making it through this shitshow.

YOU! WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU!?

YOU NEVER EXPLAINED THE MAIN loving GAME MECHANIC!! I PLAYED THIS GAME AND I STILL DON'T HAVE THE SLIGHTEST SHITTIEST IDEA HOW TO USE IT!

YOU FORCE THE PLAYER TO GRIND HOURS TO ADVANCE THE STORY BY 2 MINUTES!

You wanted to make 3D models for all the monsters, BUT YOU DIDN'T MAKE ANY OF THAT AFFECT THE CORE GAMEPLAY!

A BLONDE-HAIRED GANGSTER TALKING ANCIENT EGYPTIAN!? WTF!?

What the gently caress-poo poo were you smoking, Masaaaaaaaaki? This plot was a complete and utter mess! There are RPG Maker games more coherent than this. I don't know what the hell you were thinking with everything after the first section of the game. Clearly nothing. Idiot.

Well, aside from like, one bug, I suppose it was done all right. Not that this game required complex programming. Pretty sure a bunch of Computer Science students could do this.

And yes, the credits are animated with wireframes of certain monsters.

Thought Logic Design? Tell me, what is this and where does it appear in the game? Because I don't see it. Did you make this up?

Gratz, all that work into something that's hardly ever shown because it extends the duels unnecessarily.

Ah, yes, the direction. "Give the enemies funny hats."

Look at all these cards that are useless because of how the gameplay system is formulated.

Again, you guys wasted your time. I actually feel bad for all of you.

Keep it up, guys. At least someone did their job!

Who gives a poo poo.

You guys are assholes! ASSHOLES! Couldn't be assed to edit the shop prices, huh? Nope! It's fine as-is. Perfectly reasonable!

No idea how you guys factored in, but if you wanted to design a poo poo product, you did a commendable job at that.

Card Rule... gently caress YOU ALL. WHAT WAS THIS, HUH!?

:spergin: Let's make the Attack stat the only thing that matters. That's a great idea. Let's invalidate every card that's not above 3,000 Attack points!

4Kids otherwise sucks, but they did a better job with this franchise.

gently caress you.

Go gently caress yourself. With the biggest cactus you can find. No preparation, sit on it. Jump on it. Off the roof of your house so that if you miss the cactus, at least you still break your legs.

Not even a "Thank you for playing." Amazing.

Good night, everyone!

giver336 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 30, 2016

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
This Let's Play is over! It was nice to do a quick game with little-to-no custom aspects after Battle Network 3. And it was nice to manage my own thread for us. Thank you for the card submissions -- they cut down on my grinding enormously. Though I might have cheated anyway. :ssh:

Final card usage list:

Cards Used:

Dark Flame Master's Thunder Dragon
Dark Flame Master's Blue-Eyes White Dragon
Dark Flame Master's Witch's Apprentice
Dark Flame Master's Raigeki

Level Seven's Summoned Skull
Level Seven's Beaver Warrior
Level Seven's Witty Phantom
Level Seven's La Jinn of the Mystical Lamp
Level Seven's Gyakuteno Megami

Tengames's Labyrinth Wall
Tengames's Gaia the Fierce Knight
Tengames's Curse of Dragon

Mystic Blade's Battle Ox
Mystic Blade's Peacock
Mystic Blade's Axe Raider
Mystic Blade's Judge Man
Mystic Blade's Rude Kaiser

mateo360's Harpie Lady
mateo360's Dark Magician
mateo360's Red-Eyes B. Dragon

shibbotech's Right Leg of the Forbidden One
shibbotech's Left Leg of the Forbidden One
shibbotech's Right Arm of the Forbidden One
shibbotech's Left Arm of the Forbidden One
shibbotech's Exodia the Forbidden One

Ephraim225's Kattapillar
Ephraim225's Pumpking King of Ghosts
Ephraim225's Dark Rabbit
Ephraim225's Parrot Dragon
Ephraim225's Bickuribox

Rigged Death Trap's Dokurorider
Rigged Death Trap's Hungry Burger
Rigged Death Trap's Giltia the D. Knight
Rigged Death Trap's Little D

darealkooky's Skull Servant

Poison Mushroom's Silver Fang
Poison Mushroom's Widespread Ruin
Poison Mushroom's Flame Swordsman

Kemix's Prevent Rat
Kemix's Millenium Shield
Kemix's Swords of Revealing Light

Tunicate's 7 Colored Fish
Tunicate's Giant Soldier of Stone

Txn's Flower Wolf
Txn's Penguin Soldier
Txn's Liquid Beast
Txn's Firegrass
Txn's Fire Kraken

Pyroi's Witch of the Black Forest
Pyroi's Meteor Dragon
Pyroi's Meteor B. Dragon
Pyroi's Millenium Golem

Blaziken386's Ryu-kishin
Blaziken386's Winged Dragon, Guardian of the Fortress
Blaziken386's Wicked Worm Beast
Blaziken386's Skull Red Bird

Unknown Quality's Acid Trap Hole
Unknown Quality's Malevolent Nuzzler
Unknown Quality's Labyrinth Tank
Unknown Quality's Seiyaryu
Unknown Quality's Salamandra

PenguinKnight's Jirai Gumo

GawainStark's Gate Guardian
GawainStark's Cosmo Queen
GawainStark's Mega Morph
GawainStark's Twin-Headed Thunder Dragon

EclecticTaste's Harpie Lady Sisters
EclecticTaste's Crab Turtle
EclecticTaste's Reverse Trap

serefin99's Yami
serefin99's Crass Clown
serefin99's Mystic Clown

Nuebot's Sanga of Thunder
Nuebot's Suijin
Nuebot's Kazejin
Nuebot's Magical Labyrinth
Nuebot's Metalmorph

SkinCrawling's Armored Zombie
SkinCrawling's Spellbinding Circle
SkinCrawling's Stop Defense
SkinCrawling's Machine King
SkinCrawling's Axe of Despair

GeneralYeti's Mystical Elf

Torchman's Gate Guardian Ritual

GeneX's Tri-Horned Dragon

SystemLogOff's Castle of Dark Illusions
SystemLogOff's Dark Elf

Solumin's Tremendous Fire

Tofu Survivor's Launcher Spider
Tofu Survivor's Metal Dragon
Tofu Survivor's Cyber Saurus
Tofu Survivor's Roaring Ocean Snake

Glaive17's Zoa
Glaive17's Metalzoa
Glaive17's Dragon Capture Jar

TiamosLoren's Swordstalker
TiamosLoren's Dragon Seeker
TiamosLoren's Sword of Dark Destruction

Faust IX's Forest
Faust IX's Wasteland
Faust IX's Mountain
Faust IX's Umi
Faust IX's Sogen

dis astranagant's Kawarimi Attack
dis astranagant's Skull Knight
dis astranagant's Gaia the Dragon Champion
dis astranagant's Thousand Dragon
dis astranagant's Perfectly Ultimate Great Moth

Traitors

Dark Flame Master's Blue-Eyes White Dragon
Dark Flame Master's Raigeki

Tengames' Gaia the Fierce Knight

Poison Mushroom's Widespread Ruin

Kemix's Millenium Shield
Kemix's B. Skull Dragon

Pyroi's Meteor Dragon
Pyroi's Millenium Golem
Pyroi's Meteor B. Dragon

mateo360's Red Eyes B. Dragon

Ephraim225's Pumpking King of Ghosts
Ephraim225's Bickuribox

Unknown Quality's Seiyaryu

PenguinKnight's Jirai Gumo

GawainStark's Gate Guardian
GawainStark's Cosmo Queen
GawainStark's Twin-Headed Thunder Dragon

Nuebot's Suijin

Glaive17's Dragon Capture Jar
Glaive17's Zoa
Glaive17's Metalzoa

TiamosLoren's Swordstalker

Faust IX's Forest

dis astranagant's Thousand Dragon
dis astranagant's Gaia the Dragon Champion

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Holy poo poo. You're free! It's over!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
you know, that heishin card might not deserve a spot in his deck, but it might make a good coaster for his drink

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I like the credits music.

giver336 posted:

In addition, they all have Pegasus' vision, meaning they can see all of our facedowns!

ok I know this isn't exactly true because you can definitely fake a couple of the late game fights out by playing poo poo facedown if you are really that desperate that you need to buy a single extra turn to draw one card. It almost certainly won't save you, but it's definitely an option. At least for Heishin 2 and maybe Seto 3rd? I don't think Nitemare goes for it and I know DarkNite especially doesn't give a gently caress he is going to attack your rear end no matter what.

Granted, whether or not they buy it seems to be random. No idea, I just know it works.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 30, 2016

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I like the credits music.

ok I know this isn't exactly true because you can definitely fake a couple of the late game fights out by playing poo poo facedown if you are really that desperate that you need to buy a single extra turn to draw one card. It almost certainly won't save you, but it's definitely an option. At least for Heishin 2 and maybe Seto 3rd? I don't think Nitemare goes for it and I know DarkNite especially doesn't give a gently caress he is going to attack your rear end no matter what.

Granted, whether or not they buy it seems to be random. No idea, I just know it works.

Alternatively, AI can also be super stupid, given I've seen it cheat for a card that wasn't helpful at all. But I've seen it morph an HFD 100% of the time when I put down Poison Mushroom's Widespread Ruin.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Fionordequester posted:

Yyyep! The A.I. in this game can swap out it's cards whenever it wants to. So if the guy's got, say...4 Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragons; it can exchange it's cards for it four times.

wait wait you can have more than three of a card in your deck?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Herr Tog posted:

You can't. The AI doesn't really care iirc.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wait it actually tracks deck contents? I thought it was just a RNG

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I remember hearing that you can 4 of the same card in your deck in this game. The AI probably cheats that with it's 1/number draw thingy and changing cards.

Thanks for the LP, Giver. This game really is a mess, huh? Make me appreciate 2009 (or was it 2010) only dropping a meta Lightsworn deck on you.At least it doesn't cheat.

Also, all my cards featured in the LP and didn't betray us. :3:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

You can't. The AI doesn't really care iirc.

gently caress this game all the way home.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

giver336 posted:

Alternatively, AI can also be super stupid, given I've seen it cheat for a card that wasn't helpful at all. But I've seen it morph an HFD 100% of the time when I put down Poison Mushroom's Widespread Ruin.
Still proud of how much loving work that card put in. :toot: Every time I saw it in a video I got excited cause it was like I helped make this LP just slightly less poo poo.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Herr Tog posted:

the AI doesn't have an actual deck, just a list of % probabilities based on the deck. so there might be a 3/40 chance that he would draw the blue eyes, except that's 3/40 for every draw and so he could get twenty of them or zero depending on random chance

of course by the endgame when they can just turn every card into one it doesnt really matter but now you know

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
AHAHAHAHA THAT CODE IS FOR loving MIRROR WALL.

That's the most broken thing in Duelist of the Roses.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

quote:

Nefarious Pharaoh Heishin
4*, DARK Gemini Spellcaster, 1000/1000

This card cannot be Special Summoned. This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it become an Effect Monster with this effect.
-Once per turn, if an effect is activated that would destroy or banish this card, this card is not affected by that effect. Once per turn, by sacrificing 2000 LP, you may see one card your opponent has Set, and if you do, you can destroy it. Once per turn, by sacrificing 5000 LP, you may banish one card from your hand face-down, and Special Summon any Normal Monster, activate any Normal Spell, or set any Normal Trap from your deck (you cannot Normal Summon or Set the turn you use this effect.) If this card battles an opponent's monster, after damage calculation, return this card to the Hand.

: What the gently caress is this? This won't help my Madolche deck at all!

GawainStark
Apr 9, 2016
Congratulations on beating the game Giver. Now lets pray you never have to go through something like this ever again.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

the AI doesn't have an actual deck, just a list of % probabilities based on the deck. so there might be a 3/40 chance that he would draw the blue eyes, except that's 3/40 for every draw and so he could get twenty of them or zero depending on random chance

of course by the endgame when they can just turn every card into one it doesn't really matter but now you know

oh my god how is this the worst game the more I learn about it?

GalenEvil
Apr 22, 2014
If they hadn't taken up disc space with those 3D models the AI decks probably could have been actual decks. Then again, each deck could probably have been just a hundred or so bytes (2 byte card ID each) that gets copied and shuffled at duel start. All of the decks put together probably would have taken up less space than the smallest 3D model.

As a side note, I have started playing 7 Trials to Glory again thanks to this thread so thanks for rekindling my urge to play YGO!!!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

GalenEvil posted:

If they hadn't taken up disc space with those 3D models the AI decks probably could have been actual decks. Then again, each deck could probably have been just a hundred or so bytes (2 byte card ID each) that gets copied and shuffled at duel start. All of the decks put together probably would have taken up less space than the smallest 3D model.

As a side note, I have started playing 7 Trials to Glory again thanks to this thread so thanks for rekindling my urge to play YGO!!!

Disc space isn't remotely the issue here. I'd be willing to bet that all YGO games up to this point pull poo poo like that since they were all Gameboy games and this one just inherited a lot of the same poo poo behind the scenes. They didn't make the console game for more consistent rules or anything like that, they made it for the spectacle they could put on with the fancier hardware.

It's just shovelware, even if it does have a once respected name attached. YGO wasn't this international marketing juggernaut like it would be in a few years. It was just another loving manga license we gotta exploit to pay the bills. Throw some junior devs and interns at it and everyone collects a paycheck.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 30, 2016

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

giver336 posted:

Meet our final boss: Macho Man Randy Savage.

So a friend of mine got a little bored...

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I'm super glad that my raigeki made your time with this terrible, terrible game at least a little easier. And the others, but Raigeki put in work with bullshit like Seto 3 was throwing down.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Ephraim225 posted:

AHAHAHAHA THAT CODE IS FOR loving MIRROR WALL.

That's the most broken thing in Duelist of the Roses.

For confirmation:

IIRC it even stacks.
(If you haven't played it, all you need to know for context regarding this is that attacking "your Leader" is effectively a direct attack.)
And yes, that's an actual effect monster in the background there. :aaa:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
now play reshef of destruction

no cheating

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Giver what game can you play that is possibly worse than this?

find it and lp it next

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Don't be cruel.

Thanks for the LP, Giver. I'm kinda glad I gave up on this game after the tournament when I was a kid. What a waste of time that game is.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Giver in the interests of cruelty friendship i think i probably could code a meaner game than this if you need something else to LP :allears:

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Why would you need to code that when Forbidden Memories 2 has already been made by the fans? I mean, I already know everything I need to about that game from commentators in the thread, but there is a clear worse YGO game than this.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Valgaav posted:

I wouldn't go so far as to say this made the whole LP worth it, but that's just because of how unbelievably bad Forbidden Memories is.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Here's a video of your mirror wall in action. Note that this is a starter deck.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Just for fun, I decided to go through the Seto duel and list his plays...

Turn 1:Punished Eagle -> Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon
    Turn 2: Dragon Seeker -> Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon
    Turn 3: Zoa -> Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon
    Turn 4: Reaper of the Cards -> Shadow Spell
    Turn 5: Labyrinth Tank -> Harpie's Feather Duster
    Turn 6: Meteor Black Dragon (no Yuma)
    Turn 7: Punished Eagle -> Black Skull Dragon
    Turn 8: Dragon Seeker -> Wall Shadow
    Turn 9: Metal Guardian -> Blue-Eyes White Dragon
    Turn 10: Zoa (no Yuma)

Out of ten turns, Seto didn't cheat in two. Four out of five turns were him cheating hard, with the first three turns bringing the single strongest card in the game three times in a row. The game expects you to beat this without cheating yourself, without ever being able to get something stronger than Meteor Black Dragon (3500, a full 1000 lesser than Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon which Seto can summon at-will even if he didn't drew it).

In short...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkMhyIJnJAg

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Good job, now get started on New Game+ :colbert:

You try my patience. Now get started on New Game+

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Valgaav posted:

i legit read the whole convo in the voice, and well, it made it bearable

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Mysticblade posted:

I remember hearing that you can 4 of the same card in your deck in this game. The AI probably cheats that with it's 1/number draw thingy and changing cards.

Thanks for the LP, Giver. This game really is a mess, huh? Make me appreciate 2009 (or was it 2010) only dropping a meta Lightsworn deck on you.At least it doesn't cheat.

Also, all my cards featured in the LP and didn't betray us. :3:

2009 had the penultimate battle against four meta decks (including Lightsworn) with your LP carrying over all four battles. It was still hell.

Still better than the stealth segment. Or this game.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

i legit read the whole convo in the voice, and well, it made it bearable

Poison Mushroom posted:

I wouldn't go so far as to say this made the whole LP worth it, but that's just because of how unbelievably bad Forbidden Memories is.

He got bored again.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0PiRP2uyzxf

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0E9FcOZkFYy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Waterfall of Salt posted:

Still better than the stealth segment. Or this game.

Ste-what? Card game....stealth?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Waffleman_ posted:

Ste-what? Card game....stealth?

Well it's an RPG, it needs a stealth section right?

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
After you break out of jail, the cops still have your deck and your motorcycle so obviously you have to stealth your way to get it, duh

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I remember that in the actual card game, Mirror Wall is balanced out by the fact that you need to pay 2000 LP during your Standby Phase to keep it on the field. No such balance exists there, I see.

And Duelists of the Roses looks like a much better game, giver should play it when he feels like he should make another LP. Giver- please don't rush back into it, you need to regain some strength after conquering Bullshit Mountain.

Seriously, it looked like Seto didn't play a single legitimate card in that duel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Well hell, it's finally over. Thanks for the LP, giver, I hope your sanity is not too damaged. And shoutout to General Yeti for putting up with this piece of poo poo game.

I'm glad I was able to contribute, even just a little bit. :yaycloud:

• Locked thread