Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

theperminator posted:

Just refresh my memory, what voltage is the earths core?

69 GV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I think the real tragedy of the matrix is that the loving solar powered robots didn't take a hint and just go into space. Let us humans sit under the earth making GBS threads into buckets like we always have and always will. Maybe if they weren't stupid machines they would be able to stop trying to achieve their stupid goals and go off and be happy and lazy like a real sapient being.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

reignofevil posted:

I think the real tragedy of the matrix is that the loving solar powered robots didn't take a hint and just go into space. Let us humans sit under the earth making GBS threads into buckets like we always have and always will. Maybe if they weren't stupid machines they would be able to stop trying to achieve their stupid goals and go off and be happy and lazy like a real sapient being.
We made them in our own image.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Here's the thing about making GBS threads into a bucket: would you be able to poo poo into a bucket if you were being pursued by metal cthulu creatures that want to grind you into gibs. Would you be able to pinch a loaf knowing that you might die at any second and you'd die while making GBS threads.

everytime i take a poo poo i know it could kill me not scared of no gayboy anime creatures

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Hate to poo poo in the soup here but if there was a matrix it would actually be real :airquote: because entropy dictates that any simulation as complex as reality would ultimately reach heat death as it approaches the voltage of the earths core, at which point it would simply give way to reality. But hey I'm not scientits. :shrug:

nah lol you're prolly a brain in a jar

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Admiral Bosch posted:

the matrix was a better movie than dark city, don't let CineD fool you

it was like dark city if instead of improving on the cheesy aspects they just added a bunch of retarded action movie scenes

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
i hope they make district 10 and it's an action movie for the first 20 minutes while humanity gets utterly stomped then it switches to a doc style for the rest of it while patronizing bugs talk about the deplorable conditions in the human camps.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Reminder that a nonzero number of people really truly think WE ARE IN THE MATRIX RIGHT NOW

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_hypothesis

For example, hero of the modern age and champion of the New Economy, ELON MUSK

http://qz.com/699518/we-talked-to-the-oxford-philosopher-who-gave-elon-musk-the-theory-that-we-are-all-computer-simulations/

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
why is that so absurd to you?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's not absurd at all, I think it's great and hope he ends up like fellow crackpot Steve Jobs

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Flesh Forge posted:

Reminder that a nonzero number of people really truly think WE ARE IN THE MATRIX RIGHT NOW

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_hypothesis

For example, hero of the modern age and champion of the New Economy, ELON MUSK

http://qz.com/699518/we-talked-to-the-oxford-philosopher-who-gave-elon-musk-the-theory-that-we-are-all-computer-simulations/

I mean, the only consciousness-related thing a human being can possibly know for certain is that they themselves exist, so it's not that weird for people to speculate that the Matrix is an actual real thing. The chances of it being true are near 0% as opposed to reality being exactly what it appears to be, but still.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

So given that we’re clearly on a trajectory to have games that are indistinguishable from reality, and those games could be played on any set-top box or on a PC or whatever, and there would probably be billions of such computers or set-top boxes, it would seem to follow that the odds that we’re in base reality is one in billions.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

why is that so absurd to you?

If this was a simulation we would have found a way to lag the processor by now.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I think it's only better if you're a minority, OP.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
God drat those sequels sucked.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

So given that we’re clearly on a trajectory to have games that are indistinguishable from reality, and those games could be played on any set-top box or on a PC or whatever, and there would probably be billions of such computers or set-top boxes, it would seem to follow that the odds that we’re in base reality is one in billions.

I don't know what possibly makes you think "we're clearly on a trajectory to have games that are indistinguishable from reality." like have you played games recently man haha

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gobblecoque posted:

I don't know what possibly makes you think "we're clearly on a trajectory to have games that are indistinguishable from reality." like have you played games recently man haha

have you played dwarf fortress

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah thats the gist of it.

Holographic principle is cooler than simulation hypothesis, because rather than being speculation, it is provable (and pretty much proven) that the 3Dness of the universe is some illusory bullshit projected from a 2D surface.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

monkey posted:

yeah thats the gist of it.

Holographic principle is cooler than simulation hypothesis, because rather than being speculation, it is provable (and pretty much proven) that the 3Dness of the universe is some illusory bullshit projected from a 2D surface.

His post is a 1:1 quote of what elon musk said when he was forced to talk about it

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A lot of people have shoes, so it seems to follow that the world is actually a giant eggplant

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

CJacobs posted:

His post is a 1:1 quote of what elon musk said when he was forced to talk about it
I don't get how he was "forced to talk about it". He's a spergy billionaire with too much time on his hands and because he has an accent some Americans take him seriously. He talks about poo poo that's as old as Pythagoras but all the internet suckups tell him he's a genius whereas people in real life take him with a grain of salt, so of course he believes in the matrix.

I'm all for weird metaphysical talk, but this is just more of the same "what if like, our whole world was a giant (X)?" Smoke some more hash, druggie.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

phasmid posted:

I don't get how he was "forced to talk about it". He's a spergy billionaire with too much time on his hands and because he has an accent some Americans take him seriously. He talks about poo poo that's as old as Pythagoras but all the internet suckups tell him he's a genius whereas people in real life take him with a grain of salt, so of course he believes in the matrix.

I'm all for weird metaphysical talk, but this is just more of the same "what if like, our whole world was a giant (X)?" Smoke some more hash, druggie.

No, I meant he literally was forced to talk about it. He was at a seminar for a completely unrelated thing and taking questions, someone brought up multiple universes via simulations and he said he didn't wanna talk about it, and gave that response when the guy wouldn't just say ok and shut up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KK_kzrJPS8

edit: like the first words out of his mouth in that video are "i am so sick of talking about this"

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 14, 2016

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

phasmid posted:

I have no mouth and there is no spoon.

loving lol this should have been the tag line

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Flesh Forge posted:

Pokemon Go is to real life what real life is to Humanemon Go

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

CJacobs posted:

No, I meant he literally was forced to talk about it. He was at a seminar for a completely unrelated thing and taking questions, someone brought up multiple universes via simulations and he said he didn't wanna talk about it, and gave that response when the guy wouldn't just say ok and shut up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KK_kzrJPS8

edit: like the first words out of his mouth in that video are "i am so sick of talking about this"

the full conversation is so much better because it's not just some snappy answer he gave a dude to end a conversation, it's a long, drawn out chain of bullshit leading to a big dumb non sequitur conclusion :allears:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

if this is a simulation its not a very good one because i dont look like this:

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Flesh Forge posted:

if this is a simulation its not a very good one because i dont look like this:

I look like that. Get this proof to Elon right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

SpaceAceJase posted:

I look like that.

not fair :(

• Locked thread