Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Turmoil posted:

I never understood the whole "get to a hard line to log out" thing.

Were they worried that the agents would accuse them of combat logging and not stop whining about it?

it's a story constraint because if they could just drop out of the matrix safely any time they wanted then nothing would ever present any threat to them except instant death from total surprise which makes for a really short movie

e: I mean I realize you were making a joke and you know this, I totally knew that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Reminder that a nonzero number of people really truly think WE ARE IN THE MATRIX RIGHT NOW

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_hypothesis

For example, hero of the modern age and champion of the New Economy, ELON MUSK

http://qz.com/699518/we-talked-to-the-oxford-philosopher-who-gave-elon-musk-the-theory-that-we-are-all-computer-simulations/

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's not absurd at all, I think it's great and hope he ends up like fellow crackpot Steve Jobs

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

So given that we’re clearly on a trajectory to have games that are indistinguishable from reality, and those games could be played on any set-top box or on a PC or whatever, and there would probably be billions of such computers or set-top boxes, it would seem to follow that the odds that we’re in base reality is one in billions.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A lot of people have shoes, so it seems to follow that the world is actually a giant eggplant

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

CJacobs posted:

No, I meant he literally was forced to talk about it. He was at a seminar for a completely unrelated thing and taking questions, someone brought up multiple universes via simulations and he said he didn't wanna talk about it, and gave that response when the guy wouldn't just say ok and shut up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KK_kzrJPS8

edit: like the first words out of his mouth in that video are "i am so sick of talking about this"

the full conversation is so much better because it's not just some snappy answer he gave a dude to end a conversation, it's a long, drawn out chain of bullshit leading to a big dumb non sequitur conclusion :allears:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

if this is a simulation its not a very good one because i dont look like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

SpaceAceJase posted:

I look like that.

not fair :(