Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Actually op, the matrix is fine and "liberating" people by bringing them into a completely different world that they have no experience in and no knowledge of by the loving truckload just because you can is a terrible idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh word? You can plug dudes into a computer and they'll just know how to do stuff? Huh, weird, it's almost like being plugged into a computer is better for you than living in the Matrix's real world......

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Welcome to the real world, get ready to help us fight the machines!! War!! Fear!! Constant threat of death!!"

"uh hey can i go back to the place i was in where there are none of those things"

"No, shooting that gross sludgy birthing allegory scene again in reverse would be way too taxing on the film budget"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jukeboxblues posted:

"Maybe not everyone is a little bitch like you"

- man who shits in bucket on spaceship because he left all the toilets behind to live in squalor and misery

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Woah...... I don't know kung fu......

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

social vegan posted:

idk poo poo bucket is pretty tight

Here's the thing about making GBS threads into a bucket: would you be able to poo poo into a bucket if you were being pursued by metal cthulu creatures that want to grind you into gibs. Would you be able to pinch a loaf knowing that you might die at any second and you'd die while making GBS threads.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Then fair enough. You have a stronger colon than I do I guess.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Flesh Forge posted:

Reminder that a nonzero number of people really truly think WE ARE IN THE MATRIX RIGHT NOW

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_hypothesis

For example, hero of the modern age and champion of the New Economy, ELON MUSK

http://qz.com/699518/we-talked-to-the-oxford-philosopher-who-gave-elon-musk-the-theory-that-we-are-all-computer-simulations/

I mean, the only consciousness-related thing a human being can possibly know for certain is that they themselves exist, so it's not that weird for people to speculate that the Matrix is an actual real thing. The chances of it being true are near 0% as opposed to reality being exactly what it appears to be, but still.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

monkey posted:

yeah thats the gist of it.

Holographic principle is cooler than simulation hypothesis, because rather than being speculation, it is provable (and pretty much proven) that the 3Dness of the universe is some illusory bullshit projected from a 2D surface.

His post is a 1:1 quote of what elon musk said when he was forced to talk about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

phasmid posted:

I don't get how he was "forced to talk about it". He's a spergy billionaire with too much time on his hands and because he has an accent some Americans take him seriously. He talks about poo poo that's as old as Pythagoras but all the internet suckups tell him he's a genius whereas people in real life take him with a grain of salt, so of course he believes in the matrix.

I'm all for weird metaphysical talk, but this is just more of the same "what if like, our whole world was a giant (X)?" Smoke some more hash, druggie.

No, I meant he literally was forced to talk about it. He was at a seminar for a completely unrelated thing and taking questions, someone brought up multiple universes via simulations and he said he didn't wanna talk about it, and gave that response when the guy wouldn't just say ok and shut up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KK_kzrJPS8

edit: like the first words out of his mouth in that video are "i am so sick of talking about this"

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 14, 2016

• Locked thread