Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I didn’t even know the Eccos had cd versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I didn’t even know the Eccos had cd versions.

Yeah, they have cool FMVs of Ecco shooting lasers out of his head.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's a translation of an interview with the producer about how these games were chosen and why:

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1557746241622376448

Of note:
  • Phantasy Star 2 has an optional "Easy Mode" that doubles walk speed and XP/money gain while halving the random encounter rate, which should make the difficulty more tolerable.
  • There won't be any more Game Arts games in the final announcement set.
  • Robo Aleste's US version was originally gonna be exclusive to the Genesis Mini 2, but it was different enough that Sega figured, why not both?
  • Shin Megami Tensei has certain non-gameplay-effecting content edits from the original release that have been made under Atlus's supervision. They didn't say what was changed except that it was necessary for reissuing the game. Copyright stuff? Age rating stuff? I'm not familiar with that version.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
That's really cool about Phantasy Star 2. That was my favorite RPG growing up but it's BRUTAL. They even locked saving the game anywhere behind a hidden item

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Medullah posted:

That's really cool about Phantasy Star 2. That was my favorite RPG growing up but it's BRUTAL. They even locked saving the game anywhere behind a hidden item

I was hoping after that amazing job with Phantasy Star on the Switch we might have gotten 2, maybe 4, and 3 :smith:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ghostinmyshell posted:

I was hoping after that amazing job with Phantasy Star on the Switch we might have gotten 2, maybe 4, and 3 :smith:

It sucks they ended the Ages series so early on Switch. They’re all fantastic.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The last batch of Mega Drive Mini 2 games:

Star Cruiser MD (with optional overclock mode)
Night Trap (CD)
Mahou no Shoujo: Silky Lip (CD)
Granada
Ranger X
Crusader of Centy
Midnight Resistance
Atomic Runner
Honoo no Tokyuuji Dodge Danpei
Captain Tsubasa (CD)
Super Locomotive (New arcade-to-MD port by M2)
Party Quiz Mega Q 2022 (New version with contemporary questions - Five player support via USB hub)
Party Quiz Sega Q (New version with Sega questions - Five player support via USB hub)
Devi & Pii (Previously unreleased title by a pre-Sonic Team Takashi Iizuka)
Puyo Puyo Sun (New Saturn-to-MD port by M2 with altered gameplay systems - 2 player only)
Space Harrier 2 (New version with smooth sprite scaling and other improvements)

In addition, the complete batch of Genesis Mini 2 games was announced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzE_oH-MDAM

The Kins fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 19, 2022

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The MDM2 is, no joke, all bangers. Even the quiz game has them putting in extra work so the quiz peripheral isn't required. The licensed games are really good, too, and probably won't make it to the GenMin2. Unless they announce a number of fixed Workig Designs games in the final batch there, I'm probably sticking by my preorder for the MDM2.

Edit: Hadn't watched the video at that point. I think the biggest selling point the Genesis version has is Crusaders of Centy. Which is a pretty big one...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 19, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Kins posted:

Night Trap (CD)
Granada
Ranger X
Crusader of Centy
Midnight Resistance
Atomic Runner
Captain Tsubasa (CD)
Party Quiz Mega Q 2022 (New version with contemporary questions - Five player support via USB hub)
Party Quiz Sega Q (New version with Sega questions - Five player support via USB hub)
Puyo Puyo Sun (New Saturn-to-MD port by M2 with altered gameplay systems - 2 player only)

Aww, I was kinda hoping the Genesis Mini would actually get the localized Sega CD version of Snatcher. :sigh:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

Night Trap (CD)
Granada
Ranger X
Crusader of Centy
Midnight Resistance
Atomic Runner
Captain Tsubasa (CD)

Holy poo poo, Crusader of Centy AND Desert Strike?

I've said it a bunch in the Switch thread, but I really wish EA would release their old 16 bit catalogue. This is a promising start!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A European release has been confirmed. Same date as the US version. Same lineup. Probably the same hardware with different plugs.

https://twitter.com/SEGA/status/1560612545840328705

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Aww, I was kinda hoping the Genesis Mini would actually get the localized Sega CD version of Snatcher. :sigh:

Also no Lunar games or Popful Mail because of Working Designs. Enjoy Sewer Shark and Night Trap instead.

Edit: Apparently, Sega wouldn't give Vic enough money for the games

https://twitter.com/cj_iwakura/status/1557898695638663168

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 19, 2022

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is there any real reason to get the Genesis Mini 2 if you've modded your Mini 1? Does it have different insides?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Willo567 posted:

Also no Lunar games or Popful Mail because of Working Designs. Enjoy Sewer Shark and Night Trap instead.

Edit: Apparently, Sega wouldn't give Vic enough money for the games

https://twitter.com/cj_iwakura/status/1557898695638663168

While it's always a safe assumption that that a big company is going to lowball you into oblivion, given the people involved I'm going to bet that the hang up was WD wanting something absurd for using the games in what is a marginal project while Sega and M2 couldn't offer anything more since it's not like Popful Mail was going to move additional units.

The one that's a real shame is Snatcher and that might be M2 unaware of the demand for it.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Random Stranger posted:

While it's always a safe assumption that that a big company is going to lowball you into oblivion, given the people involved I'm going to bet that the hang up was WD wanting something absurd for using the games in what is a marginal project while Sega and M2 couldn't offer anything more since it's not like Popful Mail was going to move additional units.

The one that's a real shame is Snatcher and that might be M2 unaware of the demand for it.

For the record I wasn't blaming either Sega or Vic, although I think you're right in that Vic probably wanted way more than Sega thought it was worth for a niche product.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Willo567 posted:

For the record I wasn't blaming either Sega or Vic, although I think you're right in that Vic probably wanted way more than Sega thought it was worth for a niche product.

Yeah, I don't want to be definitive here, but my impression is Victor Ireland is someone who enormously overvalues the IP he owns. It would be far from the only time this has happened; a lot of tiny niche nerd projects get derailed because someone who is a big fish in a small pond doesn't grasp how small the pond is.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, I don't want to be definitive here, but my impression is Victor Ireland is someone who enormously overvalues the IP he owns. It would be far from the only time this has happened; a lot of tiny niche nerd projects get derailed because someone who is a big fish in a small pond doesn't grasp how small the pond is.
Conversely if, say, Digital Eclipse did a SNK 40th-style multiplatform compilation of Working Designs' titles don't you think it would sell pretty darn well for that kind of thing and Vic would get decent royalties?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Conversely if, say, Digital Eclipse did a SNK 40th-style multiplatform compilation of Working Designs' titles don't you think it would sell pretty darn well for that kind of thing and Vic would get decent royalties?

Not really. Working Designs is like Treasure or Toaplan. They're well known to a tiny group of nerds who are really into their retrogames and unknown outside of it. We have been seeing quite a few "small company that made some beloved cult games" collections lately, but I haven't seen any sign of these collections being successful; just a few thousand units to people who are into them. That's not a knock against them since they're labors of love by fans who want to keep the material available, but it does mean that they have to get the games they're releasing for a song in order to keep the lights on.

I have a hard time picturing anything that WD released driving as much interest as the Megaman, Castlevania, or Contra collections. A Lunar collection might be their best bet, but I'm guessing it wouldn't get a lot of takers. It would be a small passion project and couldn't afford any significant royalties.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

The Kins posted:

Of note:
  • Shin Megami Tensei has certain non-gameplay-effecting content edits from the original release that have been made under Atlus's supervision. They didn't say what was changed except that it was necessary for reissuing the game. Copyright stuff? Age rating stuff? I'm not familiar with that version.

If it's an age rating thing, maybe Mara was changed in some way?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Random Stranger posted:

Not really. Working Designs is like Treasure or Toaplan. They're well known to a tiny group of nerds who are really into their retrogames and unknown outside of it. We have been seeing quite a few "small company that made some beloved cult games" collections lately, but I haven't seen any sign of these collections being successful; just a few thousand units to people who are into them. That's not a knock against them since they're labors of love by fans who want to keep the material available, but it does mean that they have to get the games they're releasing for a song in order to keep the lights on.

I have a hard time picturing anything that WD released driving as much interest as the Megaman, Castlevania, or Contra collections. A Lunar collection might be their best bet, but I'm guessing it wouldn't get a lot of takers. It would be a small passion project and couldn't afford any significant royalties.

https://twitter.com/realstrictlyltd/status/1560265741823160320?s=21&t=kYPEtqPh6-duhyLcPLe8Wg
If this could get a collection then anything is possible.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The difference is that Working Designs themselves doesn't own any games, just certain localisations and publishing rights, so you can't really compile everything they published because they're all owned by different people, and I can't think of a single case where everyone (except Vic) wouldn't benefit from the owners of these games re-localising them for themselves.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jajamaru was huge in Japan. Like multiple games in the series sold over a million copies there. That's why the collection exists. Now the US localization is weird, but I'm positive it's a low budget, labor of love that's going to sell maybe 10k copies between all platforms and digital. I doubt that City Connection (the holding company that owns all of the old Jaleco IP) are getting a significant amount of money here.

I'm not going to say that we'll never see any Working Design stuff released again, just that this kind of low profile, for the mega fans release is what you could reasonably expect. Not something big and flashy that gets a lot of attention.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Medullah posted:

Is there any real reason to get the Genesis Mini 2 if you've modded your Mini 1? Does it have different insides?

I don't think they've released any technical details, and of course nobody knows if it will be moddable until it's out. Between the price and the extra shipping charges I'm very hesitant to pick one up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ahhh gently caress, they confirmed a Europe release for the Mega Drive Mini 2?! That means I might be able to get one in Australia and, oh no; my wallet is opening and money's escaping from it towards a purchase, stop, come back... :ohdear:

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Looking over that list and seeing Populous brings back a lot of good memories. I assume most people think it's trash but I had a lot of fun with it in a non-pc household growing up. Unfortunately it was one of those EA carts that got locked out with newer genesis systems so I ended up selling it as a kid.

Actually I'm surprised it's on there because of the whole genesis copy protection deal.

Also do you think we might luck out and Revenge of Shinobi will be version 1?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's an edited version they use specifically for re-releases that has a pink not-Spiderman and a different shinobi face on the title screen, because even that was stolen.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
There’s some real trash on the genesis mini 2 but if it’s modable then it doesn’t really matter. Funny to see both JP and US complain that the other system has games that theirs doesn’t.

Earthworm Jim was always garbage

Worgit
Jan 11, 2020
Taito put out a firmware update for the Egret II mini last week. You can get it at https://www.taito.co.jp/en/egret2mini/support/update. The main changes involve adding the 10 paddle/trackball titles to the main unit, where they'll only be visible if the controller is plugged in (you don't use the sd card anymore), making all games run at 4:3 instead of their default aspect ratio, and tweaks to the paddle controls for Arkanoid, DOH, and Plump Pop. They also announced their first post-launch expansion set. The 10 games on it are:

Cleopatra Fortune
Gekirindan
Light Bringer(Dungeon Magic)
Riding Fight
Grid Seeker
PuLiRuLa(they mentioned before that rereleasing this was off the book due to the pictures of at the time employees making this a legal nightmare, I wonder if they got that resolved or edited the game)
Daisenpuu(Twin Hawk)
Slap Fight
Ougon no Shiro(Gladiator)
Great Swordsman

It also comes with a 32 page strategy guide like the one for the main unit & paddle/trackball expansion, and inserts for the games. No international release announced yet, but we'll probably see Games Rocket/ININ/Strictly Limited bring it out.

Worgit
Jan 11, 2020
We're getting the Astro City Mini V, with an additional game (Super Zaxxon) via Limited Run on the 25th. They'll also be restocking the regular Astro City Mini on the same day.

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/archive/products/sega-astro-city-mini-v

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Does anybody have a game gear micro they want to get rid of? It took me too long to decide that I wanted one after all and now the black color is out of stock everywhere and the scalpers want a hundred bucks shipped

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
https://twitter.com/ModernVintageG/status/1586864394943676416

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I could never tell the difference but that's cool

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Some Sega Ages releases have this feature too. I think the Genesis 2 always sounds worse but it’s cool to have the option.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I’m enjoying the mini 2 but can’t wait for it to be hacked. Some of these games are turds. Who wants to play outrunners or night striker in 2022 it’s the future.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Where's the HD version of Sewer Shark?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Overbite posted:

I’m enjoying the mini 2 but can’t wait for it to be hacked. Some of these games are turds. Who wants to play outrunners or night striker in 2022 it’s the future.

I just want the new stuff dumped so it could be played on flash carts and mister.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Sounds like M2 sorted out some of the bigger emulation issues from the first mini.

https://www.retrorgb.com/genesis-mini-2-lag-tested.html

quote:

The Genesis Mini 2 performs better than the original, with a pretty stable 3 frames of lag from button press to movement on screen. Audio delay is about 5 frames over the original, so it can sometimes feel a bit delayed. For $130 delivered with 60 games and an awesome box & shell, I’d call this a fair deal for people who want to experience the games and a lot of fun for people who want a mini version of their original. The full lag testing can be found above (3 hours of stream to conclude the two opening sentences of this post ;/) and there’s a bunch more info below:

I think the most important thing learned from my testing is that the latency seems very stable. When running the same tests with the original Genesis Mini, the lag was all over the place: From 3-7 frames. This means you can never really time your moves properly, as they might not land the same way twice. To say it a different way, I’d rather game on this Mini 2 with a solid 3 frames, than a device that’s 2-4 frames variable.

The audio delay didn’t bother me too much, as it was only two frames (5 total, 2 more than the overall latency of the Mini 2). I imagine my opinion might change if I sank into games where part of your reaction time included music and sound effects, but overall it wasn’t terrible. The audio emulation itself wasn’t terrible, but my guess is it’s inaccurate to the original. Swapping between model 1 and 2 audio modes was fun (although an in-game option for that would be better) and certain games definitely felt more natural with one mode or the other.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
I snagged a Genesis Mini for cheap on Marketplace and it's been fun to play with so far. I like the stock interface, just wish there were more options. Do either of the hacks (Project Lunar/Hackchi) expand the core UI stuff without adding retroarch/emustation? Like, a few more background choices, screen filters, a better menu hotkey would be nice.

loopsheloop fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 7, 2022

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Modding the TG-16 mini has seen some progress. Nothing public yet but it reads as having 6 GB of internal free space for additional stuff to be crammed in so it won't need any weird USB dongles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFAeX-UkWuM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

6 gigs? You could fit the whole turbografx library on that there, including the games for the cd addon

A good bargain for whomsoever bought one of those things