Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
i got a snes classic and played earthbound and mother 3 (both for the first time) on it. if i never touch it again it was still worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

How well did Mother 3 run on it?

almost flawlessly although there was some slowdown during a couple of boss fights, the conductor ghost dude was pretty rough. i left everything on default in retroarch though so it's entirely possible you could run through it flawlessly with some tweaks

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

Disappointing Pie posted:

I wish Nintendo would bring back the Virtual Console for Switch, I wouldn't like it but I'd pay to play "legal" roms on a handheld. Thought about hacking my 3DS but it seems like not the easiest thing. Even thought about trying to hunt down a Vita. I just want a good handheld emulator with a nice screen.

fwiw hacking your 3ds is actually insanely easy there's just a lot of jargon to pick up because nerds are elitist and love gatekeeping

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

Dr. Poz posted:

My moms got nostalgia from when she would play Mario while I was at school. The prices of the NES/SNES Classic or a Switch with monthly subscription are kind of excessive. Is my best option RetroPi or something like that? I'd really like to do this without too much fiddling.

an android phone (if she has one), hacked new 3DS or PSP/vita are all extremely good & relatively nonfiddly options for that level of emulation