Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Basticle posted:

So the articles somehow dont specifically mention if it does or dosent it but this does actually play original cartridges right?

Since it's a "Mini" version and they don't explicitly say it would, it's heavily implied that it does not play original cartridges. I would have thought that would be a big selling point for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Captain Invictus posted:

Looks to be sold out, I think. Bummer. I had to sell my SNES collection to help pay my mom's medical bills, and like 15 of the games from my old collection are included in this, so I really want to get one.

US pre-orders haven't even gone up yet I thought?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd argue that the biting FM synth of the Genesis was superior for EWJ, since that soundtrack made it work so well, and they seemed suited for each other.

Like, I can't imagine the soundtrack of Toejam and Earl being as good played through the SNES soundchip. On the flip side, Castlevania 4 sounds incredible.

Genesis version also had an extra level "Intestinal Distress" that the SNES version never got, due to Nintendo's stance on gore.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Nephzinho posted:

I'm still upset I lost my Earthworm Jim action figure like 10 years ago. It'll turn up, one day.

I have my Evil the Cat with Rat Henchman on my messy desk at work. Sorry for the lovely iPhone snap, but it's all I have here.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
E: Wrong thread.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Oyster posted:

I picked up an SD2SNES for cheaper than this will be selling for and loaded it with everything and more than this will have.

Still going to buy it because it's the only legitimate way to play Star Fox 2 which doesn't play in the SD2SNES and I want to see how it stacks up to the repro cart.

It's me. I'm the fanboy idiot.

I already owned a SD2SNES and still want a Mini due to the fact that the Mini has almost every non-playable game of interest for the SD2SNES. Starfox 1/2, SMW 2 Yoshi's Island, and Super Mario RPG.

Specifically I'm curious how long it'll take to get the updated ROM of Starfox 2 dumped.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

LorneReams posted:

Back in the day, Nintendo offered the first 50 issues for $50. Those are really the best ones to read anyway. I wonder if they still do something like that.

Nintendo power is long dead now...?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

katkillad2 posted:

I'm always sad when I've finished my Gameinformer on the shitter. I am definitely a Nintendo fan, but I just can't imagine how they have enough material to work with to make a regularly released magazine.

If it weren't for the Switch, I would be totally into getting some print Nintendo Force. I have no desire for a Switch though, so I feel like the vast majority of the coverage would be wasted on me.

Nintendo Force doesn't have an archive available of older issues or something does it?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I wasn't watching my email and missed it apparently :suicide:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/07/26/walmart-cancels-snes-classic-edition-preorders

IGN and various other aggregators are all reporting that Wal-Mart is cancelling orders en masse. I wouldn't hold out hope that you're a special snowflake that doesn't get it cancelled.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah Super Castlevania IV is on New 3DS VC, I was looking through the SNES games there last night. Dracula X is also on there.

Are you thinking of Castlevania III? That had special chips in it to enhance the music or whatever.

I thought that chip was Jpn only?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
So zooalerts, is that literally just a webpage to keep open at all times? Because I don't see any kind of text/email alert situation on here.

Of note, how are people setting up the google group alerts to text them? I had seen that people had ways to get it to be an annoying as poo poo alert with rooted android, but I'm on an old as poo poo iPhone 4s that is not jailbroken. Not quite sure what voodoo magic people are doing with phones and the google groups to get it to text you.

I also joined the google group, but have received not 1 message from it.

Zooalerts is just open in a tab at work now at least. Hopefully I can jump on Target/Gamestop when they put it up ( Hopefully during a decent hour for people on the eastern coast -_- ).

E: Nevermind, found the text alerts on Zooalerts

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Bird Law posted:

I just came here to ask if something's going on with Gamestop, I can't get to their website because of runtime errors.

Working fine for me.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Good soup! posted:

Virtual Boy HD Edition

The internet has proven that people are stupid enough to stare at the eclipse, so this could work.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Tender Bender posted:

Lmao looked at my phone as soon as the alert buzzed, went right to the site, added to cart, went to checkout and it's closed.

I went to the site immediately, and it was 'Out of Stock" with 'Add Alert', no way to actually add it, and it was gone in under 1 minute.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Tengames posted:

Tried target, everytime i hit "ready to check out" i got "something went wrong" until it finally just said it was out of stock.

God i hate online retailers

Same here. I clicked checkout and it kept erroring until 'Out of Stock'.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Just got back from GameStop with my pre-order. I called to make sure they were taking orders and the guy said "Yeah, but they are going fast, you have to come NOW if you want one. We're the GameStop on the second floor of the mall, the first floor is already sold out." So I jumped down 2 exits on the highway from work, walked 'briskly' to Gamestop, and there were 3 guys in front of me. While I stood there, the line just all of a sudden grew huge, out the door, so I was like... well poo poo there is no way....

The 3 guys in front of me were getting Xbox controllers and Madden, I was the first getting a SNES. The guy RIGHT BEHIND me sighed when I was putting in my order, and I left before finding out if anyone else was in line for it ( You know they all were, like 10 more people in line ). That dude did get one as far as I know though.

I was preparing myself to be disappointed for having to drive all the way down, and was pleasantly surprised. Especially after the Target/Wal-Mart fiasco.

E: It's one of those days that failing to take lunch at Noon really worked out for me!

E2: Also had problems pre-ordering there, I had to specifically use my wife's phone number since they tried to pre-order on mine, and it failed, requiring a new phone number apparently to track it by.

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 22, 2017

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

ballistics statistics posted:

Not a single alert from nowinstock. Awesome.

I got one last night for Best Buy but that's all. Use ZooAlerts.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

FilthyImp posted:

So basically once someone in the mod community gets one of these they'll:

Figure out how the FX Chip functionality is implemented to reverse engineer a copy

Figure out how to load more sweet romz on it

Figure out how to loaf NES games on it

Right??
Because if thats the case and I get an FX compatible Everdrive out of this clusterfuck then nintendo can go ahead with their limited supply bullshit.

Even after having already bought a SD2SNES, I would probably double dip for a new one that can do the full library.

With that being said, the SNES Classic already plays pretty much every relevant game that the SD2SNES can't play.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I've never played Starfox 2, and now with the mini coming, I'm going to just wait it out.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Nail Rat posted:

I don't think the majority who want these will get them. They made what, about a million NES Classics? Even if they make five million SNES Classics, it won't cover the majority of those that want this.

2 million actually. Not like it's that much, but double. They said they are making a significant number more, and people are hoping that if it's even 3 million, that the majority of that would be at launch. Meaning we would be getting the entire run of NES Classic pushes at launch, and then maybe more in a supplemental push, like the NES Classic ended up having.

Nail Rat posted:

We'll see. For starters I think demand will far outpace the demand for the NES Classic because most of these games are actually still enjoyable to play for a long time, which couldn't be said for a bunch on the NES Classic.

Also if they've had all year to get together the first shipment and stores are only getting single digits for preorders, how many more can they really get the rest of the year?

I have to agree with this though, the demand for this is in my opinion going to be more, as the game selection is tilted more towards long form games in the SNES, as opposed to the pick up and play for short bursts on the NES Classic.

The NES got legs due to people wanting to mod it, but in the end, the number of people looking to mod a NES Classic are going the be less than the number who want a 0 effort set top box.

I would be very curious how many people got a NES Classic and within 2 months, hell 1 month, let it just sit as a tchotchke on the shelf. I think due to the RPG's the SNES will likely have a longer burn.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
As it's been pointed out, getting the legitimate carts for these 20+ games is ludicrously expensive.

As someone who ponied up for a SD2SNES, I'm still interested in a Classic due to the FX and SR-1 chip games that are included.

A side note, some numbers are getting confused, it wasn't a 3 million run of NES Classic, but about 2.3 million apparently according to Gamasutra: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/297102/Nintendo_sold_23_million_NES_Classic_Editions.php

Regardless, it's projected that we will have more at launch for the SNES. I'm hopeful that means that in store day 1, they have tons more in stock. It's STILL a question of how saturated the market has to be to make scalpers scared off, but I think the only thing that really can be done to combat that is doing a 1 per person thing even at the store level.

Morby posted:

Yeah, I have my original SNES that still works, but I didn't own a lot of the games as a kid and didn't really build up my collection until I was older. We rented a lot, which is how I got to play Earthbound, Super Metroid, FF3/6, etc. Some of those cartridges are almost the cost of the SNES mini alone. Games of that caliber are easily $50-$70 (except Earthbound which is super rare and sells for a lot more).

Funny story, Earthbound isn't actually THAT rare. There are much harder to come by games, but it has an inflated price due to this reputation. I have yet to go to a con that didn't have 10+ copies of Earthbound available across all of the vendors.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

wafflemoose posted:

Don't get me wrong, retrogaming is expensive as gently caress and there's the hassle of dealing with old hardware and swapping the carts out. Systems modded to play :filez: can be a pain to get going and you can't ensure everything to work properly, not to mention the jankiness that normally comes with this sort of thing.

Having a plug and play console with all the classic SNES games is something I do desire, but not at scalper prices where I'm better off with other options. If it costs as much as a flashcart to get an SNES mini, then I feel like I'm better off the with the flashcart.

At scalper prices maybe: http://krikzz.com/store/home/27-sd2snes.html

$197 for a flash cart is nothing to scoff at, but still, it cannot play ~1/4 the library included on the Classic.

Starfox
Starfox 2
SMW2: Yoshi's Island
Super Mario RPG

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

univbee posted:

A Super Everdrive is like half the cost and will also play the other SNES Classic titles.

Eh, limiting yourself even further, if you're going to get a flash cart for your SNES, why not just get the one that plays almost all of the games as is, and has an option of later being able to be upgraded to play all of them. Do you really want to double dip?

Regardless, the point still stands, you're paying more for the cart retail, and you still cannot play everything on the classic, only worse in other ways.

If you're saying that you don't want to pay scalper prices, news flash, nobody wants to pay them! It's not worthwhile. I don't think that anyone is making that argument.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

canyoneer posted:

Let's be real though this SNES will probably see as much use from me as my Wii, which is about 5 hours in the last 5 years

Oh I wholly expect it. I got a SD2SNES and played the poo poo out of it when I first got it. Now a days I play it randomly while on break from work when working from home, but that's about it.

I actually just started a new game of Secret of Mana just a little bit before the SNES Classic's initial announcement. Haven't gone back to it since.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

univbee posted:

The list of games compatible with the SD2SNES hasn't really changed since 2012 so I wouldn't expect SA-1 and SuperFX compatibility with them ever.

There are a handful of games the SD2SNES gives you access to which the Super Everdrive doesn't but very few, it's basically just Mega Man X2 and X3 (which I think are slightly inaccurate on it) and Star Ocean. And the MSU-1 patches which can be neat but are more a curiosity, really. Also as someone who owns both flash carts, the SD2SNES is a bit less stable, I think drawing more power from the SNES. The SD2SNES is no doubt a nice upgrade but with the difference in cost it's definitely not for everyone.

Agreed, but the point does still stand, a super everdrive is still more expensive than a Classic.

There is hope that the new emulation from the classic may yield dividends toward the SD2SNES being able to be updated through reverse engineering their code.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

ditty bout my clitty posted:

They're doing a som remake for the PS4

As I see it, they are doing it for the Vita, and it's easy enough to port that to PS4, they get it free. Regardless, I don't like the style as much as the original. :( I'll happily try and get my Wife to play it 2 player with me on the Classic.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Phantasium posted:

You don't need to grind in Secret of Mana. At all.

You do if you want all your stuff to be overpowered and have slightly larger versions of their animations!

When I was a kid, grinding wasn't a thing that I was cognizant of, and when I cast certain spells and they were like 4x the size of when I originally got them, I was a bit surprised. It wasn't until I revisited the game years later that I realized that every 'Seed' that you unlock, unlocks a new level for your spells. I tried grinding to make sure that all the spells were max level, but gave up after a while. The animations just got larger, not really changing.

You definitely don't need to grind anything to get through the game though. It just makes some battles easier.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Nail Rat posted:

3's already pretty questionable, or at least greedy :argh:

Just pick one person who you love the most to give one to as a gift. It'd be a great introspective exercise.

If they are legitimately cancelling orders for multiple, I can't logically reason why 3 is reasonable and 10 isn't. 1 per customer is the obvious range they would accept if they are in fact cancelling orders for multiple. These aren't tickets to a concert/convention or otherwise event where you are socially expected to bring a friend. I only bring that up as in those cases usually companies limit people to 4.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The saves probably take more space this time around if they're storing inputs back up to a couple minutes. Also I think maybe the manuals are actually on the device this time instead of just a qr code? Not sure about that one

They are a QR code again, several previews have shown it. No worries about the manuals taking up precious game space.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
What is all this talk of fire? Did a previous release of a Capcom repro go all Samsung Note?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

The Bloop posted:

:v: is for vulpix

"hey guys what's all this talk of fire? was there a fire? :v:

Meta. I didn't realize it was said in the disclaimer though.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
So TRU may be filing for Bankruptcy, they are in talks to try and figure out how to manage their debt: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/09/07/toys-r-us-eyes-potential-bankruptcy-filing

Makes some more sense why they wouldn't want to start pre-orders and such. But I would expect any consoles they got would be a good source of extra capital :v:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
While I know that is true for stuff like a Switch/Xbox/PS4 or whatever, I was unsure if a set top box like a SNES Mini would be the same.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Medullah posted:

When I was at Best Buy, the biggest profit came from selling Product Replacement Plans on consoles. They won't even really have that as an option with the SNES Mini because, well, they won't be able to replace it in store. Definitely a "Hopefully they buy other stuff while they're in the store" item.

Again, this is a all in one system, not a console selling games separately. Therefore most of our experiences aren't going to directly correlate. Unless someone has cost info from the NES Mini?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

LuiCypher posted:

Just so everyone know that what's posted here is completely legit:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/17/15974096/what-it-costs-to-run-an-independent-video-game-store

The gist of it is - new game sales typically incur losses at most retail stores. Why? The companies publishing them continue to eat away at the wholesale margins, such that most game stores are buying new games at nearly the same price as consumers. If you don't sell out of all of your copies of a new game, you're pretty much hosed because those slim margins mean any inventory you have remaining is a loss you incur.

It's also doubly bad when you're trying to sell a new game (Battleborn. It's Battleborn) and the publisher drops the retail price from $60 to $30 in two weeks. You bought your stock for nearly $60 per game, and now you have to sell that leftover stock for $30 a game, eating a big loss every single time.

All of these posts are missing the point. This one does point out that video games are less of a margin golden goose now a days than before, but these articles don't talk about all-in-one solutions. I'll admit that it's VERY likely they aren't making much of anything on them, but regardless, comparing an apple to an orange is still going to result in them being different.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Freaking Crumbum posted:

if you were running the store, you'd have to hope there was some other completely unrelated yet still desirable product that you could sell people coming in for an SNES classic. it couldn't be another game or system though, because you're not getting anything back there either.

it would have to be something like, if switch controllers are in really short supply and you happen to get a shipment of 3rd party switch controllers (like Madcatz or Logitech or whatever) you get your sales people / cashiers to try hard as hell to get people buying the SNES classic to also buy the 3rd party switch controller, banking on the hope that people who buy Nintendo stuff tend to buy every Nintendo console. or, if you're game stop, you try and get people to buy used copies of another popular game that they might not have yet, since that's almost pure profit for the store.

as someone else said, normally they'd try and force every SNES classic customer to buy a 90 day replacement plan, but there's (likely) no feasible way they could ever honor this plan on this console, and absent that I'm not sure what other non-software non-hardware attachment they're looking at. other stores like wal-mart or target sell a variety of goods including softline poo poo like underwear and toilet paper and alcohol, so having the SNES classic bring people into the store opens up the chance that they also buy something completely unrelated and it offsets the console. for retailers like game stop that really only sell video game stuff, I don't know what their plan is beyond just selling their entire SNES classic inventory at 12:00:01 am on 9/29.

Totally agree. At best we're looking at attachments of a book ( SNES Playing with Power or whatever ) and maybe a carrying case? Those are the things that make the most sense to something like this.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

LuiCypher posted:

It's not really apples and oranges when you consider that the same model for games sales is just as easily applied to all-in-one solutions - publishers/hardware creators push the profit margins on wholesales in their favor, especially if they can control the distribution channels as vigorously as Nintendo.

I guarantee you that the SNES Classic wholesale price is north of $70 and Nintendo would only agree to sell to them if they maintained the MSRP of $80. Stores are going to pay whatever price it is because they know after the NES Classic debacle that it will get people in their stores and:

You know, I yield that yes, this is definitely very akin to a game release. Point taken.

Back to this for one moment, after completing reading this, I found a new game store in NH that I didn't know about before, thanks for that :D

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

LionArcher posted:

I have three pre ordered (in theory). One for me, one for my brother and one to possibly flip to pay for the other two, or if one of my other pre orders falls through. Personally, I'm glad if it doesn't become a major flippers market :) I want everyone to get one that wants one :)

Said while banking a third for flipping. :rolleyes:

BonoMan posted:

So I don't buy the licensing bullshit about these limited runs.

I mean I know it's just a fan theory, but what company is just sitting on an old license collecting $0 dollars and says "sure you can sell some of these... but not too much! Don't wanna make too much money!"

And aren't most property licenses done on a unit/price level and not some time sensitive thing?

It seems like both companies involved would love to, you know, keep making money until the margins become too thin.

Say I own a license making $0, you come to me and say "I have an idea, I'll pay you $10 to get 1 million things made, and MAYBE they will sell"

3 months later, they sell out instantly and there is a HUGE demand for more.

"Hey man, that idea was awesome, I got another $10 for you for more!"

The inevitable response "gently caress that, your poo poo is selling like mad and I want more of that cash! It'll be $100 now"

It is no longer nearly as profitable at the price point negotiated originally.

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Rufio posted:

I love the idea of one of the owners of these dead assets loving big timing Nintendo.

I like that you guys are naive enough to think that these companies don't hold onto their IP with greed to make as much as they can from them. Why do you think "licensing issues" are even news worthy? This isn't something that isn't already reported often and cited as issues with re-issuing older games.

Sometimes it's music, other times it's simply companies wanting more than an agreed upon amount for updated releases.

Nintendo isn't the "Big Dog' anymore, the Wii U was panned and generally considered a failure. The Switch isn't blowing the doors off anything. They don't have the pull they did when they had a stranglehold on gaming back in the late 80's early 90's.

Many companies would rather nothing be made than not get what they consider their lovely old IP is worth. Don't discount greed. This is a thread almost completely filled with discussion/bitching about scalpers. :laffo:

On topic of other things that were scalped in gaming, Blizzard Collector's Editions of their games are often snatched up and resold. Hell even Diablo III and it's expansion are STILL selling on eBay for more money than retail.

That game was generally viewed as a failure in comparison to 2 in most circles.