Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

So, I have no idea how to fix your knees, but there are a few things to try to pay attention to, and consider while descending:
  • Try walking down a set of stairs (preferably one with a handrail). Do you drop the last few inches onto your lead foot? Yeah, everyone does. Try not to do this while descending! Practice going down stairs and halting your lead foot a 1/4" before it contacts the step. This moves the stress to your flexed rear leg musculature, and reduces impact. Consider incorporating some of this resistance to your descending stride.
  • Do you extend your lead leg fully? Are you fairly close to fully extended on any part of your stride descending? Try not to do this either! Your stride should be short; well inside full extension, slightly sunken down, to lower your centre of gravity, and to keep the majority of your weight inside your stride, never overtop your lead leg.
  • Are your foot placements linear (like, in a row?) Also do not do this. You should have a wider than normal stance, with some amount of side to side motion, allowing your hips to move with and help absorb the impact of descending, and to let the sides of your feet to take a bit more load and help with stability.
  • You can also change up your descending line, adding mini-switchbacking when the direct descending becomes too steep for littler fast steps, or whatever.

You already have hiking poles? You have footwear that has a pretty solid footbed? I know people have lots of different preferences for shoes, but for me, if I am carrying any kind of load for steep climb and descend sequences means I'm wearing a pair of light mountaineering boots, not hiking boots.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread