Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Fans will latch on to anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sticklefifer posted:

I don't know if I'd call Jane's overdose the turning point for Walt, because he was protecting Jesse. There's still technically a moral grey area in that Walt was trespassing and that she would've died if he hadn't. Shaking Jesse caused Jane to roll over, but it's tenuous to say she would've lived through the overdose. In Walt's mind he was saving Jesse's life instead of letting both of them die. He could've either not interfered with Jane choking, or not interfered with their relationship and doomed them both. I think his real turn happens later. By the time he's able to straight up execute someone for crossing him, that's the point of no return. But like anything, it's a gradual slope. I think that's what makes him a compelling character - that you don't really notice when he became the bad guy.

It doesn't even make sense as an argument. ADR happens constantly in post for every non-live show and film out there. Sometimes it's another take on set, sometimes they get the actor in a booth, sometimes it's a soundalike because an actor's schedule won't allow it. It's not a novelty in the slightest. If you don't see an actor's lips moving (and often even if you do) it's ADR.

Murdering someone is not morally grey thanks.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

That's not how murder works.

Yes it is, you can contort if you want I guess with some bullshit pseudo philosophy 101 but it's still murder.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

No, it's literally not murder. Wrongful death at best, maybe a manslaughter charge. But no court would convict him of murder.

What do you think manslaughter is.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

Do you want an actual legal definition?

No who loving cares.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I got to say a poster admitting they hated a character for being a women is refreshingly honest.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

A true you did say it was only a third, which is progress.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I was being condescending but not obtuse you just write really poorly. Also it turns your post from interesting into a bog standard breaking bad post. Which is sad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Its weird to hate a character because a lot of people irrationally hate her. I don't think I have ever seen that. It's usually the opposite.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Blind Melon posted:

You can understand how people irrationally hating Skyler would make someone like her more, but you can't understand that irrationally defending her might make someone like her less?

Legit criticism are so few and far between I don't think it could really.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I thought the point was to show how they were struggling financially to really drive home the need money angle. Because Breaking bad ain't subtle.

She didn't come out annoying at all in that instance.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I do like how much hate she gets for early characterization when Hank was a 100% worse.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

For what it's worth, Skylar wasn't a well-liked character because she's boring for the first season and a half because the writers gave her nothing to do. It's exactly that simple--once she got stuff to do, she stopped being an insufferable nag (and just became an rear end in a top hat).

It's stupid to call all criticism of Skylar misogyny just as much as it is stupid to call Skylar nothing but a miserable nagging oval office. It's exactly that simple also.

Mitte actually suffers the condition that Walt Jr. suffers in the show, but to a much more reduced degree. He actually forwent sleep to make his symptoms worse and threw himself intensely into the role. He particularly wanted to bring awareness to his condition and be a sort of role models to others in his position. It's incredibly laudable that he was cast because another popular show at the time, Glee, featured a wheelchair-bound character whose actor I do believe is not handicapped--in fact, I think he even has a dance number in one of the movies, though I am basing this on second hand knowledge.

That is not why she was disliked, people don't dislike boring characters they forget they exist.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Marie isn't boring she was the focus of several weird, pointless subplots.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah weirdly hating women in TVIV isn't new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

WampaLord posted:

I can't imagine why the wife of a school teacher would be concerned that her husband was buying pot from a former student.

No way he could get in trouble at work for that.

Yeah I have a hard time finding any real critical look of her that isn't just taking a rational response she has and twisting it around to desperately find a way to paint her as comically evil.

• Locked thread