Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Escobarbarian posted:

The Lydia stevia thing was, is and probably always will be the dumbest thing about the finale.

The final season having to invent a new slew of villains whole cloth is definitely one of those things that doesn't hold as well over time. Lydia was actually one of the less egregious parts of that since she was at least an actual character and not just a mostly nameless and faceless force of evil like the neo-nazis were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Boywhiz88 posted:

There are threads for it, but if it's anything like those last few seasons of BB, they are terrible. The threads, I mean. Not the shows. Mike's voice. Mike trying to shoot Jesse. "Skylar is or isn't a bitch". Lots of terrible discussion

No it's mostly just people complaining about the old BB threads talking about Mike's voice and Mike trying to shoot Jesse five years later and doing "hilarious" "parodies" of it constantly.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BiggerBoat posted:

With both Walt and Saul, it seems like a case of escalation born of desperation. They both seem to get in over their heads and then convince themselves to do "just this ONE more morally questionable act" and then everything will be OK. In Walt's case, he's just completely in over his head aside from the science and for every act he takes two more problems arise.

With Saul, you can see he's pretty much just been blackballed (primarily by his brother it turns out) and no one thinks he's a "real" lawyer anyway because of where he got his degree, but he never seemed "in over his head" with law. Season one actually shows he's pretty competent.

The pacing of BCS is super weird because the ending of season one feels like a completely organic point for Jimmy to leave his old life and start his downward slide into Saul...and then the first thing they do in season two is retcon the ending the season one so he can eventually go back to his old life and rehash the lessons he learned in season 1. The ending of season 2 was actually a regression because he still hasn't reached the point where he was at the end of season 1 where he had accepted who he was and was leaving everyone behind to do his own thing. And the show itself seems to be aware of it somewhat since Mike got almost as much screentime as Saul this season even when their two stories had nothing to do with each other and weren't overlapping.

It's still a really good and entertaining show but it feels like it's becoming a victim of its own success where since they don't have to worry about getting renewed they don't feel any pressure to keep things moving.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

sticklefifer posted:

What do you think are some of the best examples of the great acting in this show?

Secular Humanist posted:

I can say the only bad acting I remember from BB was the prostitute lady Wendy. Makeup team did a great job but her acting was so stiff.

Per the Breaking Bad Insider podcast she isn't actually an actor, she's a local marathon runner they hired because she was so naturally skinny that she looked the part.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Bryan Cranston is going to be playing Zordon in the Power Rangers movie.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Harold Stassen posted:

Your husband is dying of cancer and you're going controlling psycho over him and his acquaintances smoking pot uh yeah what's not to like, obviously you're a confirmed woman hater if you're not gung ho for that

Don't forget that she herself was secretly smoking while pregnant, just to really drive that hypocrisy home.

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Also, I understand that Skyler comes off as controlling, but do you ever stop to ask why she's controlling? How she came to be in the position where she's telling her adult husband which credit cards he can and can't use?

It's because she's staying at home all day :airquote:writing a novel:airquote: so she has endless free time to micromanage everything he does. Walt is too busy working multiple jobs from dawn til dusk to support his willfully unemployed wife and special needs son and the unexpected child they have on the way to pore over every credit card statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tender Bender posted:

I'm also not sure how I feel about the "Mike Begins" stuff, since it's so disconnected from Jimmy at this point. It's entertaining but feels very patched on and definitely feels like the "breaking bad lite" that I think the many, many people who don't watch this show assume it to be.

Also I know that it's something that can't be helped but Jonathan Banks is almost 70 years old and with him getting more screen time and being a lot more hands-on than he was in Breaking Bad it's definitely starting to make his constant supercop antics a little hard to swallow. I mean, he's a great actor and he can look intimidating for miles and hold a gun like nobody's business but when they start having him delivering beatdowns on thugs half his age and disarming a dude holding a gun to his head in an instant it really pushes the illusion to its breaking point even with the best TV magic at work.

I really hope he lives for a good long time because another thing about his increased involvement is that if he bites it anytime soon they're either going to have to end the show or pull off something really awkward like when Tony's mom died in The Sopranos.

• Locked thread