Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I don't know if I'd call Jane's overdose the turning point for Walt, because he was protecting Jesse. There's still technically a moral grey area in that Walt was trespassing and that she would've died if he hadn't. Shaking Jesse caused Jane to roll over, but it's tenuous to say she would've lived through the overdose. In Walt's mind he was saving Jesse's life instead of letting both of them die. He could've either not interfered with Jane choking, or not interfered with their relationship and doomed them both. I think his real turn happens later. By the time he's able to straight up execute someone for crossing him, that's the point of no return. But like anything, it's a gradual slope. I think that's what makes him a compelling character - that you don't really notice when he became the bad guy.

Timby posted:

It seriously led to pages' worth of back-and-forth nonsense.
It doesn't even make sense as an argument. ADR happens constantly in post for every non-live show and film out there. Sometimes it's another take on set, sometimes they get the actor in a booth, sometimes it's a soundalike because an actor's schedule won't allow it. It's not a novelty in the slightest. If you don't see an actor's lips moving (and often even if you do) it's ADR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Michael McKean is so good he makes me hate him.

CHUCK :argh:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

ninjahedgehog posted:

I didn't join SA until 2011, was it more or less ridiculous than "I acquit" or "What is this, the local?"

On par with "Shannon was stabbed".

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

CharlestheHammer posted:

Murdering someone is not morally grey thanks.

That's not how murder works.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yes it is, you can contort if you want I guess with some bullshit pseudo philosophy 101 but it's still murder.
No, it's literally not murder. Wrongful death at best, maybe a manslaughter charge. But no court would convict him of murder.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

CharlestheHammer posted:

What do you think manslaughter is.
Do you want an actual legal definition?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

xcore posted:

I found on later rewatches that I was a lot more sympathetic to Skyler. Not sure if it was knowing what was to come in future, or the lack of "Skyler is a oval office" barraging me every time I took part in discussions online but she was a lot more sympathetic with further viewings.

I never got a lot of the hate for Skylar (other than just people's misogyny), because from her POV her husband is drastically changing his attitude, doesn't tell her why, keeps everything a secret, pushes her away, etc. Meanwhile her most vocal detractors aren't bothering to justify that Walt is becoming a powerful meth dealer, getting into business with cartels, and ducking the feds. I get it, he's trying to apply what he's good at into saving his life and can't tell her because it's illegal, but that doesn't mean he's treating her well. You can point to her eBay handjob in the pilot as her being an awful wife if you want to stretch blame I guess, but that to me was more a scene of both of them having been together for a long time and having long since become bored suburban spouses. Her perspective is pretty well justified throughout the show, but people at every turn just kept calling her 'oval office' because internet gonna internet. I feel like she was finally vindicated by the "I liked it. It felt good." scene, though it didn't stop her from being such a hated character overall.

With the point of Walt's "turn" being discussed in the thread, I think the "I liked it" scene applies to that discussion as well: Walt stopped being a good guy when the meth stopped being about getting himself cancer treatment, and more about enjoying what he was doing. If you go by that logic, his turn happened much, much earlier: blowing up Tuco's drug den. Just watch how he reacts inside his car after doing that. It was no longer about his cancer, it was a rush. As for when I personally stopped liking him, like most things with the show it was gradual, not sudden.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What do you think are some of the best examples of the great acting in this show?

It's hard to pick one with Bryan Cranston, but for Aaron Paul the scene that stands out the most to me is the one where he's beaten up in the hospital and Walt comes to see him for an offer, and Jesse just flips his poo poo and tells him off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

BiggerBoat posted:

Hank, Saul, Gus, Skyler, Marie, Jessie, Mike, Walt Jr., Gale, Hank's partner (Steve?)...

I think they're all great. I have a pet peeve about bad actors and when I see it, it tends to take me right out of the movie/show I'm watching. I don't think that ever happened once on BB. I can't recall one time where I left a scene because some actor sucked.

I was looking for specific examples, which is why I posted one in the same post you quoted.

• Locked thread