Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

To talk about Better Call Saul a bit: it's a great show. Its biggest weakness is that everyone expected it to be a Breaking Bad lite, or a Saul sitcom, and it takes a few episodes to prove to you it's NOT that. It's its own thing, a really slowburning character study, and it excels at that. For example, without spoiling anything, there are many times the show builds up some problem or tense situation and you know it's about to boil over in an intense classic Breaking Bad moment. Instead, there's a compelling conversation between two characters or a big emotional reveal, the plot kind of meanders in a different direction, and it feels just as powerful as any of the action packed plot event twists in Breaking Bad. The biggest reveal in the show thus far is basically a character explaining his state of mind, and it WORKED as a big moment. It's a really smart and really well written show, and Bob Odenkirk flashes some dramatic chops that I don't think anyone knew he had.

The Season 2 reset is lame but I'll forgive them because it's clear they wanted to make sure the show told a complete story in the (very possible) event it only got one season. I'm also not sure how I feel about the "Mike Begins" stuff, since it's so disconnected from Jimmy at this point. It's entertaining but feels very patched on and definitely feels like the "breaking bad lite" that I think the many, many people who don't watch this show assume it to be.

BiggerBoat posted:

With both Walt and Saul, it seems like a case of escalation born of desperation. They both seem to get in over their heads and then convince themselves to do "just this ONE more morally questionable act" and then everything will be OK. In Walt's case, he's just completely in over his head aside from the science and for every act he takes two more problems arise.

With Saul, you can see he's pretty much just been blackballed (primarily by his brother it turns out) and no one thinks he's a "real" lawyer anyway because of where he got his degree, but he never seemed "in over his head" with law. Season one actually shows he's pretty competent.

Yeah, Jimmy's an interesting contrast to Walt. Both guys have the instinct to "break bad" in their core. Walter gets so many outs but keeps turning back to the bad stuff because it's what he ultimately wants to be. Jimmy is a guy who really wants to make it as a legitimate lawyer, but everything around him (both people, circumstances and fate) sabotages that and pushes him back to the illegitimate stuff. He really is a good guy and so much of the show is made incredibly sad by knowing the scuzzy guy he turns out to be.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Spellman posted:

BCS has some interesting characters, but it feels like the story is running on a treadmill. And episodes seem boring, and quiet. I miss the amazing songs they picked for Breaking Bad.

It has the production quality of endgame Breaking Bad. But it is dryyyyyyyyy.

The legal stuff moves super slowly. But the show isn't really about that, it's about the characters who happen to be involved in the legal stuff, and every episode is CRAMMED with rich character moments. Like, as the first season built to its climax I was sure the retirement home thing was gonna come to a head in a big dramatic event. Instead it's just a backdrop to the actual important stuff, the relationships between all these people. It's a lot like the Sopranos in that respect, another show that got frequent complaints about being too slow.

It definitely isn't Breaking Bad Too. Again, I almost feel like it would be more successful if it didn't have Breaking Bad's shadow looming over it. The first few episodes also made it seem more like it was gonna be about wacky capers which didn't help.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 28, 2016

• Locked thread