Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

Jerusalem posted:

I love how Hank changes from the initial perception of him (which I think is strongly informed by how Walt apparently feels about him)

I completely disagree with this being informed by how Walt feels about him. The first scene we see with Hank he is being a straight up rear end in a top hat. He takes Walt's drink to deliver his birthday toast, drops a series of at best backhanded compliments, and leaves Walt holding the gun he was uncomfortable with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

syscall girl posted:

But we aren't talking about the worst thing Walt did, just the subjective bit where we think he really broke bad.

He broke bad in the pilot, we are talking about when he became unsympathetic.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

I never got a lot of the hate for Skylar (other than just people's misogyny)

This right here is a third of the reason I dislike Skyler.

The other two thirds are half heatedly embracing her dark side when it is convenient and beneficial for her, and being a poorly written antagonist with no real role to play. Walt did what evil he did for selfish reasons just like Skyler did what evil she did for her.

Escobarbarian posted:

Skyler is portrayed as sort of over-the-top and bitchy for, what, three episodes? Pretty much until she finds out about the cancer? After that the hate literally was just misogynist bullshit.

Going after Jesse instead of having a conversation with Walt about his marijuana use is simultaneously controlling and pathetic.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 29, 2016

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
God yes. Even more so on re-watch.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I don't think you read gud.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
Yup, you don't read good.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Wasn't the marijuana thing in one of the first 3 episodes? I was considering that her last truly lovely moment.

Scamming Bogden out of the car wash. Not taking the advice of her lawyer. Pushing Walt to kill Jesse. Siding with Walt against Hank and Marie because she thought he was going to win and she was going to get to keep the blood money.

quote:

Also I get you didn't actually mean a third of the reason you hated Skyler is for misogynistic reasons but honestly that is exactly how that first sentence reads. You might wanna elaborate instead of just being insulting.

For the benefit of the condescending and deliberately obtuse?

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

And I mean....dude, you know it is entirely possible for you to phrase something badly, right? I seriously have no idea what you could possibly have meant, reading the actual words you wrote, other than "a third of my hatred for Skyler is based on misogyny". That's literally, objectively what you wrote.

It's the argument that any dislike of Skyler comes from misogyny. I literally don't understand how you could not have even considered that interpretation.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
As irrational as it is, part of the reason I dislike Skyler is because of that stupid argument. Hence quoting it and saying this is part of the reason I dislike Skyler.

Yes, I could have been much more clear, but I legitimately find it very hard to believe that this isn't something you could have realized on your own.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 30, 2016

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah I didn't consider that because it doesn't make any sense whatsoever

CharlestheHammer posted:

Its weird to hate a character because a lot of people irrationally hate her. I don't think I have ever seen that. It's usually the opposite.

You can understand how people irrationally hating Skyler would make someone like her more, but you can't understand that irrationally defending her might make someone like her less?

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Ted, Hank, Marie, Gus, Jessie, Skyler, Mike, Walt...they're all likable in some ways and dislikable in others. Walt Jr. seems like the moral center/compass of the show to me. The one true innocent.

After Marie's klepto spree she never really does anything unlikable. Hank is a pretty terrible person, but at least he has the benefit of being a credible antagonist to Walt. You know from the beginning that when Hank finds out Walt is cooking meth the poo poo is going to hit the fan, and it absolutely does.

Walt Jr is the best. Him and maybe Gomie, who dies unceremoniously offscreen.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

piratepilates posted:

She's not the most likeable character in the show but the show ends with her terrifying husband killing her brother in law, widowing her sister, putting the family in danger (including having a bunch of neo-nazis come in to her infant daughter's bedroom to threaten her), and stealing her infant daughter while leaving her destitute and bound for prison.

Having bad things happen to her, especially when she has been offered an out several times by the plot and chosen the status quo, does not maker her likable or interesting. At least not to me.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

but she doesn't move the plot nor advance any of the intrigues.

This, a thousand times this. Every time she has a chance to continue moving the plot along she decides to stagnate it instead. Four corners is a prime example of this. She could abandon Walt and cause something interesting to happen, but instead she turns around and go home. Later she could side with Hank and Marie and turn Walt into a wanted fugitive, but instead she decides to side with him ("for her family" shades of Walt anyone?) and delay that development. There is a scene in season 5 (I think) that encapsulates the problem plot wise with Skyler. The kids have been living with Hank and Marie, Walt has gotten out of the game. Family life has resumed some semblance of normalcy. And then cut to Skyler and Marie sitting in a living room and instantly it is obvious that it is time for the kids to come back home. It felt like the writers checking a box off on a list of things that need to happen.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is not why she was disliked, people don't dislike boring characters they forget they exist.

She starts unlikable, and proceeds to be boring. It's not... good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

WampaLord posted:

I can't imagine why the wife of a school teacher would be concerned that her husband was buying pot from a former student.

It's not that she was concerned, its what she did with that concern. Confronting Jesse instead of talking to Walt was controlling and manipulative. It's like saying you can't imagine why anyone would have a problem with Skyler being upset that those Jocks were making fun of her son without acknowledging that her going to confront them would only make the situation worse, and was explicitly against Walt Jr's wishes for good reason.

• Locked thread