Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Let me see if I can get this straight: Everyone is suddenly up in arms now (instead of, say, after the Modern Warfare 4 Ghosts reveal) about Call of Duty being too samey and unoriginal, but at the same time they're extremely excited about the HD remaster of the decade old CoD that everybody played. Also, they're furious that the CoD4 remaster isn't being sold as a standalone, despite the fact that Activision did this exact same thing with packaging their CoD1 remaster with MW2 before selling the latter as a standalone almost immediately. Also, Battlefield 1 will be much better despite the fact that, if every released video is any indication, the WWI setting is purely an aesthetic thing and the game seems to have less meaningful differences from Bad Company 1/2/3/4 (both in game modes and gameplay) than- get this- Hardline.

Titanfall 2 will be the best shooter this year anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Bill NYSE posted:

Extinction was the best side-ops game that this series had going for it, and only showed up in the worst of the series because it was timed with the next generation platforms. I used to like zombies but I don't know what the gently caress it has become since BO3 has completely jizzed into their own ears with additional menial poo poo that doesn't include shooting zombies.

Call of Duty 3 didn't have Extinction mode.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I can, and will, forget that game.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Good lord... This game is going to kick some rear end!

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_WjYh-r9rg

campaign trailer. looks pretty good. Jon Snow is a space fascist.

Can't wait to get my hands on this game!

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

If Advanced Warfare 2 doesn't happen because of all the future setting complaints, I'll die.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Kevin Spaceys character will be brought back in a Darth Vader style suit.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I played through the CoD4 remaster last week, and the whole time I was kind of thinking to myself about how unnecessary this is, especially on a graphical level- from what I remember, CoD4 didn't really look much worse than this remaster does. It was only one console gen ago.

So I went ahead and played the first few levels at max settings and oh my God, oh my God, what? What? I remember this looking way way better when I was in high school, what gives?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Regarding MWR: I know they'll be patching in the other six launch maps as time goes on, but have they mentioned anything about the four Variety Pack maps? Broadcast and Chinatown were two of my faves :(

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I like all Call of Duty games except 3 and the Vita one.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I'm glad they IW finally got around to adopting Treyarch's 'loadout selection for campaign' stuff. I'm also glad that they adopted the 'tons of ancillary documents to read' from BO1/3.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Mister Macys posted:

IW is easily the grayest and brownest video game in recent memory, even by CoD standards.

It's pretty bad in that regard but it's not anywhere near Ghosts. That game had the worst color palette of any game I think I've played since the PSX era.

Ghosts felt as if Infinity Ward saw people calling CoD games 'brown and grey' and got upset and overreacted, like oh yeah? You think MW2 is 'brown n' bloom', xXCapn_Pri$eXx? You think MW3 is '2gray4me', b0n3rL0rD? Huh? You guys wanna see loving gray and brown, you've got it, gently caress YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Juking people with FTL jump is my new favorite thing

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

My big problem with this (and BO3) is how the minimal is a rectangle and it shows way more stuff to the sides than it does to the front/back. Why is this?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I like Mayday

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If you're dreaming about cod you may want to evaluate your life

I used to have dreams about CoD2 CTF in my high school days

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Did they ever fix that thing in AW where you were locked out of playing with anyone who didn't have the same DLC you owned. I can't believe I paid $30 extra to basically get locked out of MP

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I'd like a WWII CoD that had setting which aren't done to death. USSR vs Finland, Australia & British colonies vs Japan in Southeast Asia, the American campaign in Italy, that brief war between the USSR and Japan in Manchuria... there's a lot of interesting and relatively untouched aspects of WWII, but if it's just Stalingrad/Tunisia/Normandy/Ardennes again they can go gently caress themselves.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

How about a Korean War CoD? Are there any Korean War games?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

If they really must take away the new movement stuff could they do everyone a solid and go back to designing maps that aren't all symmetrical 3-lanes?

The maps in these last few CoDs feel like they were designed to cater specifically to a CoD esports/tournament crowd that, to my knowledge, doesn't actually exist because this series is certainly not meant for that.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Call of Duty's in a really weird place, like if this leak turns out to be true expect another huge division between the playerbase between people who like the future movement and see WWII as an admission that they've officially run out of ideas vs. people who hate the newer games and desperately want a return to older CoD gameplay, even if it means going back to WWII/modern era.

I can't actually think of a setting that wouldn't piss off half the community for one reason or another.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Mister Macys posted:

So what you're saying is, they should start releasing two Call of Duty games each year, to address the market split? :haw:

Now you're getting it

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Wait does the MWR map pack really not come with the Legacy Pro Edition? Weak...

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Mill Village posted:

How are you uploading videos to Youtube from your PS4? My PSN account is apparently bugged and it won't link up to my Youtube account anymore, even though the PS4 OS acts like it did.

PS4s refuse to hook up to YouTube most of the time and I don't know if it'll ever be fixed. All my friends and I have had this problem on and off for a good year or so.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Flip the reactions

Yeah this

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Oh it's just the western front again. Mm.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

:lol:

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I'd preorder CoD:WWII right this second if Sledgehammer confirmed that they're going back to Treyarch's gritty, grindhouse-style presentation and music of WaW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeWUjNh4d7g

Little-known fact: the gory exploitation film aesthetic of WaW was the reason they thought of including a Zombies mode in the first place. It's a real shame they ditched that and kept the zombies instead of the other way around.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

It bears repeating that Treyarch accomplished the whole "hyperviolent 70s/80s style exploitation flick but in WWII" schtick earlier, and better, than Quentin Tarantino.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

WaW's MP was the only one with gore IIRC. There's some full-on gibbing in later games, but nothing that actually made me wince like watching my Marine get turned into a pile of bleeding stumps.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

:geno:

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Western front '44-45 only. gently caress off

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Gamers today are usually too young to have seen Saving Private Ryan or play our older games, it's important that we step up and educate them about WWII... Anyways, here's some Zombies footage

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

They confirmed that there is no regenerating health and CoD1 style health packs are back, which is the first bit of news that makes me interested.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Godzilla07 posted:

The 48-player mode is really a feature that's like the Tower in Destiny/pre-match in H1Z1, so you can dab with your fellow soldiers.

hell yeah, I can't wait to Press F To Pay Respects while my character walks through Dachau

Press (X) to hide in conspicuously placed shower room

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I really wish Activision would cut the crap and just make old CoD games' map packs free, or at least really discounted. Advanced Warfare's DLC maps were mostly great and I only got to play them a handful of times.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

It was a weekend-only mode, unfortunately. A lot of fun, though

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

That and the Michael Myers weekend they did should be a permanent playlist.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I don't think I've ever seen a discount on a season pass, so... baby steps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

It'd be fun to play a CoD game as some random grunt who doesn't have a dramatic arc or arch nemesis or special powers, or anything like that, but fucktard millennials grew up learning to be stupid fee fee filled Snowflake's Cucks so we have to play as the most special soldier ever... or else their fee fees will be damaged. Oh well. I guess Running With Rifles will have to do...

• Locked thread