Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

This is a LF camera:

LF is not as hard as you think.
Ask in the thread or read largeformatphotography.info.

This is a MF camera:

Because MF is larger than puny 35mm full frame, it counts too!

So go ahead and share your shots!

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Some LF photos:

Moonrise, Storage Tanks - After Adams by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

space by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

The Picture Wall by Jason, on Flickr

Stairwell, Pearl Centre by alkanphel, on Flickr

Untitled by Lucas DeShazer, on Flickr

Hollow Tree Road by alex gard, on Flickr

Some MF photos:

Tomales I by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Baw Baw by Tim James, on Flickr

Shenandoah by dren88, on Flickr

New Housing Development, Mandurah, July 2015 by Simon Deadman, on Flickr

Kirrawee by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

Untitled (Raytown) by Drew Davis, on Flickr

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 15, 2016

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How do you guys go lugging around all the gear for those big LF landscapes? It'd all be quite heavy and awkward wouldn't it? How do you guys go with the expense too, LF film would cost (relatively) a shitton right?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

How do you guys go lugging around all the gear for those big LF landscapes? It'd all be quite heavy and awkward wouldn't it? How do you guys go with the expense too, LF film would cost (relatively) a shitton right?

If you have to do it, you have to do it, no matter the cost.
Also: http://www.alexburkephoto.com/blog/2013/08/27/backpacking-with-a-4x5-camera

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Okay I'm very excited that there's a fresh new LF/MF thread because I just bought a near mint Pentax 67 and it's totally rad and good. (Although shooting the solely mechanical C330 made me forget about things like batteries - my first trip out to take pictures ended in much frustration with a dead battery.)

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

Okay I'm very excited that there's a fresh new LF/MF thread because I just bought a near mint Pentax 67 and it's totally rad and good. (Although shooting the solely mechanical C330 made me forget about things like batteries - my first trip out to take pictures ended in much frustration with a dead battery.)

I played with a P67 once, I managed to short out all the batteries I put into the prism within seconds. That was pretty dumb of me.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Digital Photography of my LF gear, GW690ii and a shameful F100 for scale.

Homebuilt 8x10, Century Graphic Whole Plate and Speed Graphic 4x5

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I carry my poo poo in a bag and I have a job that gives me enough money to buy film at the end of the day.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 15, 2017

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

My 4x5 weighs less than and is about the same size as my 6x7 gear. Only 8x10 is heavy and awkward for me, and even then that's because my 8x10 is a metal monorail instead of a folding wooden and CF field camera like my 4x5. As for film costs, I end up spending only slightly more than when I shot only 6x7, because I only take the $6 photos I know will be decent, rather than taking lots of $1 photos that may or may not turn out.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

MrBlandAverage posted:

I only take the $6 photos I know will be decent

I am curious, how much do you typically reframe a shot before you press the shutter? Like you said with 35mm and even MF I'll usually see something interesting, take a shot, and then go "poo poo, I better try that from another angle." So I end up taking 3-4 of the same subject and picking my favorite in the end.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

BANME.sh posted:

I am curious, how much do you typically reframe a shot before you press the shutter? Like you said with 35mm and even MF I'll usually see something interesting, take a shot, and then go "poo poo, I better try that from another angle." So I end up taking 3-4 of the same subject and picking my favorite in the end.

I never take my camera out of the bag without being reasonably sure of how I'm going to compose the photo.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

I never take my camera out of the bag without being reasonably sure of how I'm going to compose the photo.

And even once it's out, you have a 4x5" glass plate that's showing the image you're going to take. At that point you've got to put the holder in the camera, stop down the lens, cock the shutter, remove the dark slide, and fire. There's a lot of time to think hard about the shot you're taking before you do it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I have a phone app that overlays bounding boxes for the focal lengths of my LF lenses. This is a great help in deciding where to put up the tripod.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Confluence of a severance package from my old job and a few days carrying my rz67 around in 90 degree heat led to this purchase:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

Yeah quoting the rest, usually you have the shot in your head 80% of the time even before you setup the LF camera. The remaining 20% is the fine-tuning in the ground glass after you set it up. Like you know how they say, with digital you'd probably shoot 10 shots, with MF film you take about 2-3 shots, with LF you just take that 1 shot.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

MrBlandAverage posted:

I never take my camera out of the bag

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

alkanphel posted:

I played with a P67 once, I managed to short out all the batteries I put into the prism within seconds. That was pretty dumb of me.

That sounds like the problem right there. You don't put the batteries into the prism.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Ganked from the old thread, the various backs that come on LF cameras:

quote:

One other complexity of large format is the back. The standard Graphic back was initially intended only to hold film holders - you focus on the panel, slide in the holder, and shoot. However, accessories like Polaroid backs and rollfilm (120) holders eventually came out and these typically cannot fit behind the ground glass. These need a removable panel, which is called the Graflok (or International-) type back. These can be distinguished by the sliding latches at top and bottom. This is a real nice feature but not strictly necessary.

Graphic back (for Speed Graphic or Crown Graphic cameras):

Graflok/International back:

Confusingly, Graflex made a third type for their single-lens-reflex 4x5 models, which is referred to as a Graflex back:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

That sounds like the problem right there. You don't put the batteries into the prism.

Oh wait it's at the bottom of the body or something right? But actually it was the way I put the flat cell batteries together. I did it the right way after that.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Here is a medium format:

Menai by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Here is a large format:

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

atomicthumbs posted:

I never take my camera out of the bag

Arting 101- creating value through scarcity.

Been doing more with my 8x10 paper neg project. At some point I hope to have a full compliment of prints from this series.
A at Home by Jason, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

The Right Place by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 18, 2016

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Mt. Hood spotted

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

God Bless This Chamonix

ape
Jul 20, 2009
A couple medium sized Elvises

ape fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 19, 2016

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Billings, Montana

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I've been following this guy's Instagram for a bit and really enjoyed his work. All LF: http://instagram.com/gregmillerfoto.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I don't understand why people would want to share their LF work on Instagram. Such a big format presented on such a tiny network.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ansel autisms posted:

I don't understand why people would want to share their LF work on Instagram. Such a big format presented on such a tiny network.

I think the network is huge though. You gotta go where the people are, to some extent. It does seem somewhat silly, but also you can still see the LF difference in the photos.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 15, 2017

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Awkward Davies posted:

I think the network is huge though. You gotta go where the people are, to some extent. It does seem somewhat silly, but also you can still see the LF difference in the photos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

I dunno. I think snobbery is available to people who are already successful. Lynch can rail against iPhones all he wants, he doesn't have to worry about people not watching his stuff. He can afford to tell them that they're consuming his work "wrong".

Also, why would you limit yourself? The more people who look at, appreciate, and get interested in any sort of analog photography, the better. The more inaccessible and exclusive you make it, the fewer people buy film and cameras, and the sooner it dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Greg Miller travels and holds workshops all over the place. My guess is he has the Instagram presence so Joe Q. Millennial in rural town X can find him easily. To me it says Greg Miller is probably a dullard that's out of ideas. There's established photographers doing cool things on Instagram (Stacey Kranitz, Stephen Shore, Teju Cole), follow those guys!