Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

I like the atmosphere here but it feels like it's lacking something. It's like the scene would be prime for a Crewdson style portrait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

8th-snype posted:

I like the atmosphere here but it feels like it's lacking something. It's like the scene would be prime for a Crewdson style portrait.

Just add more mist, random floodlight, and surreal person standing in the middle.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

alkanphel posted:

Just add more mist, random floodlight, and surreal person standing in the middle.

An old 70s/80s Chrysler, door open, children in the back seat facing away, car lit from the inside, adult out of the car in the middle of the road, lit softly by headlights, silhouette of adult in one of the upper windows of the building.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Untitled-(29) by Benjamin Gibb, on Flickr

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 3, 2016

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

quote:

Hello valued member of I Shoot Film.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/ishootfilm

We are sorry to inform you that your submission to our flickr group was rejected because you did not follow the posted rules on using one way or another to indicate it was shot on film.
We can not just go by looks alone as there are so many post processing programs out there that mimic film including adding sprocket holes to the edge.
Here is a link to the rules for I Shoot Film.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/ishootfilm/rules/

Also there is a sticky thread that boils it down to a few words.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/ishootfilm/discuss/72157649477992349/

We thank you for being a member of I Shoot film and hope that you will follow the posted rules. If there is a language barrier we can also provide a translation in most languages.

Thank you
I shoot Film Moderator

:owned:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Good pictures in here, guess I probably shouldn't have taken a huge absence from Dorkroom and thus passed up on my birthright to make the next MF/LF thread.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Deleting my Flickr out of embarrassment

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Personally Your's by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

"Medium" Format.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 26, 2017

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

iSheep posted:

"Medium" Format.

I really like this dude. The 3D like quality and the way the light is coming in from the right (her right) making the eye pop is just stunning to me. I could do without the digital clock in the background, but this image really makes me want a "medium" format camera for portraits of my kids.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
This thread makes me want to buy a mf camera, just to get the film look. I'm going to be a very poor man soon aren't I

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

This thread makes me want to buy a mf camera, just to get the film look. I'm going to be a very poor man soon aren't I

Yes

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Good pictures in here, guess I probably shouldn't have taken a huge absence from Dorkroom and thus passed up on my birthright to make the next MF/LF thread.

Yeah we missed your orange/red skin tones.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
E: a bad post

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 4, 2016

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

You can also get the "film look" by buying a $5 35mm film camera.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Goddamn it, there's a Pentax 6x7 kit with a TTL prism, wooden grip, a 105 2.4 and an 90 2.8 for only $500 CAD in my area right now. If only I wasn't trying to save money.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BANME.sh posted:

Goddamn it, there's a Pentax 6x7 kit with a TTL prism, wooden grip, a 105 2.4 and an 90 2.8 for only $500 CAD in my area right now. If only I wasn't trying to save money.

Do it. Make sure it has the MLU.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

elgarbo posted:

You can also get the "film look" by buying a $5 35mm film camera.

Well, the big format part too.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
are you limited by your current gear and have a specific need to move to medium format or do you just think it will magically make your photos better?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yes to the limited but not in the way you are asking, and no. Why so hostile? I just like it. Are you limited by not shooting MF/LF Does it magically make your photos better?

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Aug 4, 2016

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Yes to the limited but not in the way you are asking, and no. Why so hostile? I just like it. Are you limited by not shooting MF/LF Does it magically make your photos better?

My advice: don't try to learn photography on a MF camera. Seriously, if you like the look and want to experiment with it, set it as a long term goal. Play around with a manual 35mm camera for a while first. You'll save yourself a poo poo ton of money and frustration.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

elgarbo posted:

My advice: don't try to learn photography on a MF camera. Seriously, if you like the look and want to experiment with it, set it as a long term goal. Play around with a manual 35mm camera for a while first. You'll save yourself a poo poo ton of money and frustration.

Seriously this, I didn't touch a medium format camera until I had shot 35mm for a couple of years

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

My first film camera since digital was introduced was a GW690II and it broke my soul because it was so drastically different - the huge negatives didn't help that in any way. It took several months of consistently using a few different 35mm cameras with convenience features and a low cost of failure before I could "handle" MF/LF without it feeling like a chore. After improperly loading a few rolls of 120 and a few 4x5 sheets starting out, I was paralyzed by the potential of wasting more film.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

I don't understand the question, I shoot mf, 35mm, dslr and with my phone.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

elgarbo posted:

set it as a long term goal.

I'm shooting for 3 to 5 years for entry to medium format. I didn't really start taking photography seriously until about 6 months ago and just entered the realm of 35mm film a couple months ago. I've been taking pics for a decade, but it's always been snapshots without really thinking. I'm hoping with that time frame I'll have a good foundation in developing my own film, scanning negatives, and just photography in general, but i doubt it.

The only thing that concerns me is reading stuff on other photography forums that film is going to completely dry up and I'll miss the opportunity to try medium format. Are these people full of poo poo?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

deaders posted:

I don't understand the question

Well then why ask it of me except to be a dick.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Because medium format film is not the answer you seek. Or do whatever you want, it's your time and money so go nuts.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

He's asking the question you should be asking yourself.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Choicecut posted:

The only thing that concerns me is reading stuff on other photography forums that film is going to completely dry up and I'll miss the opportunity to try medium format. Are these people full of poo poo?

People on photography forums have been saying that film is going to completely dry up and you'll miss the opportunity to shoot it ever again for at least ten years now (the Canon 5D came out in 2005). They are exactly as full of poo poo as the people who say that digital is a fad and film is going to regain its professional dominance, who have been saying that for the same ten years.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I hope someone isn't shooting film for bad reasons here

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Shoot whatever you want, whenever you want, however you want.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

if you got the money, learn on film, learn on large format. who cares. just take photos, imo. actually, maybe don't learn on large format.

film isn't going anywhere, the sales of film leveled off in like 2011~ if i remember correctly. Maybe if they made a sub-$1000 medium format digital, you'd see another drop in film sales. I don't think that will happen for a long time tho.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I recommend you skip straight to LF, inevitably get frustrated, then come back here and post about it so we can say we told you so :smugdog:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I shot exclusively on digital until late last year when I bought a Kiev 88. Since then I've been buying up lovely Soviet 35mm, MF and sheet-film cameras and going hogwild. My photos are still bad but I don't feel that I had to go through some kind of 35mm film apprenticeship to earn the right to shoot 120 film. The last time I shot film before buying my Kiev 88 was shooting 8x10 stuff on a rack system for White Dwarf about a million years ago and then when I was a kid and had a lovely Halina 110 cartridge camera.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

deaders posted:

Because medium format film is not the answer you seek. Or do whatever you want, it's your time and money so go nuts.

I mean you could just say what you are trying too like El Garbo and not be an rear end in a top hat? It's not difficult.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I mean you could just say what you are trying too like El Garbo and not be an rear end in a top hat? It's not difficult.

He wasn't being an rear end in a top hat.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

What makes you so ready to believe you're being attacked?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

MrBlandAverage posted:

What makes you so ready to believe you're being attacked?

The attitude that someone would only consider this because clearly "they think it'll just magically make their photos better". No, I look at this stuff and I like it and I can't try it with my gear because it's a lovely crop rebel and isn't capable of the same frame because they don't make lenses that wide. And then it's completely different because of focal length compression.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

He's not being an rear end in a top hat, you're just a baby.