Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

ansel autisms posted:

He's not being an rear end in a top hat, you're just a baby.

Also, the fact that this dude will attack me every time I post makes me think I get attacked for posting in the dorkroom. Go check his posts when the dude was asking for a dslr for a few hundred bucks in the general questions thead. Ansel was so thirsty to jump down my throat he embarrassed himself into deleting his posts, because they were unhelpful vitriolic bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Chill out, dude, you throw a hissy fit every time you post.

If you think going MF/LF will solve your issues with wide angles you're going down the wrong path. 10mm on crop isn't good enough? Not a single MF or LF lens will let you get that wide.

edit: I checked. There's a 47mm Schneider that barely covers 4x5, which is roughly equivalent to a 12mm lens on 35.

bellows lugosi fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 4, 2016

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I don't think there is anything wrong with seeing the great shots people post in this thread and being excited about the format as a result; it just can come off as gear worship to an extent or some manner of assertion that the quality of the photos seen are due to the gear and not the person behind the lens.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Actually, there is a lens that will get you 10mm equivalent FOV on 8x10: the Goerz Hypergon 75mm. Don't let naysayers like ansel autisms tell you it's not possible!!

Oh, by the way, even that beat-up example is $3500 and there's no shutter.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Pinhole + hat shutter

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ansel autisms posted:

Pinhole + hat shutter

Unironically a cheaper option for superwide on 4x5 - here's 25mm on 4x5 (~6mm equivalent), and it can be yours for $131:

Ready for Trouble... (4x5 Pinhole Photograph) by Scott Speck, on Flickr

Chandelier at SmokeStack Studio (4x5 Pinhole Photograph) by Scott Speck, on Flickr

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Karl Barks posted:

if you got the money, learn on film, learn on large format. who cares. just take photos, imo. actually, maybe don't learn on large format.

film isn't going anywhere, the sales of film leveled off in like 2011~ if i remember correctly. Maybe if they made a sub-$1000 medium format digital, you'd see another drop in film sales. I don't think that will happen for a long time tho.

That's about the space of it. Fuji keeps discontinuing stocks without any warning or discussion, but it seems like most of that is a problem of consolidating their lines and making their bottom line more efficient, not getting out of film all together. I think availability of just about everything else has been pretty stable ever since Kodak discontinued its E6 lines.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Well then why ask it of me except to be a dick.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm a pretty big promoter of "you do you". As long as your kids aren't going hungry or something, if you want to learn photography on 20x24 Polaroid, more power to you. It's your money, and it'll be your camera and your film. You'll be the one paying for it, not me, and another person buying film is good for everyone who shoots it. That said, there are many reasons that the 35mm format (and even there, mostly 35mm SLR or point-and-shoot) has been so incredibly dominant - it's really versatile, and the quality is good. Every step you take away from that is a compromise of some kind - you improve one aspect of your camera by giving up a little bit on another. Learning what you actually want to do and choosing the gear that gets you there should be your first step, or you can spend thousands of dollars (even tens of thousands) collecting equipment designed to solve problems that you don't actually have, or maybe don't care about.

GAS is fun and everyone's vulnerable sometimes, but if you've got it, own it for what it is.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

This thread makes me want to buy a mf camera, just to get the film look. I'm going to be a very poor man soon aren't I

we're all poor because of all the money we're spending on cameras, lol

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Also, the fact that this dude will attack me every time I post makes me think I get attacked for posting in the dorkroom.

Have you considered not posting like a 12 year old? The people who are being "dicks" are right, you are looking at film as a magic bullet not an aesthetic or procedural choice. If you think you can't take similar pictures on a "lovely crop rebel" to any other camera then you aren't gonna gain much by buying into medium or large format. The only difference is now your bad photos cost $3 a piece. If you want to shoot film go right ahead but you better have deep pockets. Sure film gets you a few things not available on your "lovely crop rebel" such as a shallow DOF from the larger medium, the better highlight roll off of Portra, the tonality of a larger capture medium, and the simplicity of a chosen color palette. Depending on what you shoot and how you present your work the differences can be minimized, not every exposure needs to be on the bleed edge of the format war. In fact if you can tell me which photos in my portfolio were shot with mf/lf and which ones were on a 16mp Fuji crop camera I'll eat my own rear end.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

unhelpful vitriolic bullshit.

Why are you so thin skinned? If you ask a question then get a different answer from the one you were expecting that doesn't mean the person is attacking you.

deaders fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 5, 2016

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
This thread was going so well :sigh:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

deaders posted:

Why are you so thin skinned? If you ask a question then get a different answer from the one you were expecting that doesn't mean the person is attacking you. There must be a forum for overly-entitled, thin-skinned 14 year olds somewhere that better suits your needs.

So I guess I read more into it than was there but the usual thing is to take a dump on that bratwurst fella for no reason. It gets pretty tiresome pretty bloody quick. Sorry I took your post as continuation of that.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 5, 2016

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
" take a dump on that bratwurst fella for no reason"

New thread title pls mods

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Eugene Lock & Safe Co. by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I love the little grill on the left.

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Untitled by Benjamin Gibb, on Flickr

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 6, 2016

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Medium format is fun as heck. Everyone should have a big heavy rear end MF camera.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Kurnell by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

akadajet posted:

Medium format is fun as heck. Everyone should have a big heavy rear end MF camera.

This is true. I was doing headshots and group photos for my company's webpage today with my Kiev 88. Next door to our new office space is a photo studio and the two very nice girls from there were watching what we were doing and playing around with 5D3s and some nice L glass. I asked if they'd mind pushing the button for the group shots with me in them, and they thought it was just the neatest thing. I gave them a roll of film to play with and they gave me their phone numbers...

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Helen Highwater posted:

This is true. I was doing headshots and group photos for my company's webpage today with my Kiev 88. Next door to our new office space is a photo studio and the two very nice girls from there were watching what we were doing and playing around with 5D3s and some nice L glass. I asked if they'd mind pushing the button for the group shots with me in them, and they thought it was just the neatest thing. I gave them a roll of film to play with and they gave me their phone numbers...

Also TLRs are huge chick magnets, as I've discovered.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

alkanphel posted:

They're also huge fat balding engineer magnets though?

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
You MFers are making me miserable; I want that look and those colors, but I'll keep myself from doing something stupid for a little while longer until I get better with what I have now. Keep sharing, please. This is my new favorite photo thread.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

alkanphel posted:

Checks out.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If it was made today

e: from work with an online version of ps but the idea gets across

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

tau posted:

You MFers are making me miserable; I want that look and those colors, but I'll keep myself from doing something stupid for a little while longer until I get better with what I have now. Keep sharing, please. This is my new favorite photo thread.

Majority of the photos here are from LF tho :smugmrgw:

tau
Mar 20, 2003

alkanphel posted:

Majority of the photos here are from LF tho :smugmrgw:

My jokes :gonk:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

The motion blur on the flags is super distracting. I'd have been tempted to clone them out.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
The flags are one of the reasons I love it.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

I think it would seem rather staid if the flags weren't in motion but I can understand that they're distracting. Just not necessarily in a bad way.

Now what of the ghost people? :ghost:

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Helen Highwater posted:

The motion blur on the flags is super distracting. I'd have been tempted to clone them out.

Distracting from what?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

deaders posted:

Distracting from what?

To me, the photo is all about the contrasts between the dark scene and the pools of light within it. The way that colours within the image transition from subdued and muddy tones in the darkness to popping vividly in the localised harsh lighting.

The blur takes you away from that.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

I've really been loving everything you've been doing lately. All top quality stuff. Keep at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006