Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Biosphere by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Thoogsby posted:

Greg Miller travels and holds workshops all over the place. My guess is he has the Instagram presence so Joe Q. Millennial in rural town X can find him easily. To me it says Greg Miller is probably a dullard that's out of ideas. There's established photographers doing cool things on Instagram (Stacey Kranitz, Stephen Shore, Teju Cole), follow those guys!

I didn't know Stephen Shore had one. Looked at his instagram, what cool thing is he doing? Looks like normal gram shots to me.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Does instagram still retain control of any image posted on instagram? That's one reason to not put anything serious on it.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Karl Barks posted:

Does instagram still retain control of any image posted on instagram? That's one reason to not put anything serious on it.

It's the same as Facebook, you grant them a free licence to use your stuff but they don't own or control it.

quote:

Instagram does not claim ownership of any Content that you post on or through the Service. Instead, you hereby grant to Instagram a non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, transferable, sub-licensable, worldwide license to use the Content that you post on or through the Service, subject to the Service's Privacy Policy, available here http://instagram.com/legal/privacy/, including but not limited to sections 3 ("Sharing of Your Information"), 4 ("How We Store Your Information"), and 5 ("Your Choices About Your Information"). You can choose who can view your Content and activities, including your photos, as described in the Privacy Policy.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Awkward Davies posted:

I dunno. I think snobbery is available to people who are already successful. Lynch can rail against iPhones all he wants, he doesn't have to worry about people not watching his stuff. He can afford to tell them that they're consuming his work "wrong".

Also, why would you limit yourself? The more people who look at, appreciate, and get interested in any sort of analog photography, the better. The more inaccessible and exclusive you make it, the fewer people buy film and cameras, and the sooner it dies.

You're implying that the goal of all (most?) photographers is purely for exposure. I don't think you need to be successful to want to retain some modicum of control over how your images are presented. There's nothing inherently wrong with sharing your images on whatever platform you want, but I personally feel like you're losing out on some of the benefits of presentation of LF (or even any non-phone image, really) when displaying them on a medium that's going to only be viewed on a small screen. If your entire goal is exposure or convincing people to follow in your footsteps, sure, whatever, use Instagram. I use it as a mobile phone sketchbook but obviously I don't represent the views of the entire userbase.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

I REALLY like this

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bellows lugosi fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 21, 2016

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Greg Miller should only present his work in person with framed prints at least 1m wide. Send him an email so he can drive over to your house to display his work.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Who?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

That's my new favorite shot of yours. - those clouds are majestic as gently caress.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 22, 2016

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

deaders posted:

Greg Miller should only present his work in person with framed prints at least 1m wide. Send him an email so he can drive over to your house to display his work.

That sounds pretty rad tbh

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Automotive Instincts by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

I don't know why you're giving me that look mate, you're the one walking into my loving photo

which part of deadpan urban landscape says "hi-vis vest" to you

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Total Recoil is such a badass business name.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Untitled-(21) by Benjamin Gibb, on Flickr

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 25, 2016

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Helicity posted:

That's my new favorite shot of yours. - those clouds are majestic as gently caress.

Thanks!

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I dropped my Mamiya C330s face first into the sand on the beach the other day because I am a careless idiot.

That moment of clarity, as you see a still image of this thing hanging in the air. Then the moment of hope that it'll somehow land in a way that doesn't get a gently caress-ton of sand into every crevice. Finally, the many hours of regret and denial that follow when you see that it has landed lens first and the shutter, the rails, the finder, and every other possible nook is now guzzling sand.

It has been sent off to get cleaned. Let's see how this works out.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

I dropped my Mamiya C330s face first into the sand on the beach the other day because I am a careless idiot.

That moment of clarity, as you see a still image of this thing hanging in the air. Then the moment of hope that it'll somehow land in a way that doesn't get a gently caress-ton of sand into every crevice. Finally, the many hours of regret and denial that follow when you see that it has landed lens first and the shutter, the rails, the finder, and every other possible nook is now guzzling sand.

It has been sent off to get cleaned. Let's see how this works out.

Hopefully it didn't fall into fine sand, otherwise that's gonna be a real pain in the rear end.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Report: I've run a couple rolls through my "new" GW670ii, and a fair number of frames are black because I left the lens cap on because I'm used to looking through the lens :(

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

We've all been there at least once.

Live and learn.

Also, re: sand. I once left my 500cm in my gym bag, which had had towels from the beach in it from 2 days prior. I still cringe when I feel that grinding as I focus :/

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Good neon, shame it'll obviously never turn on again

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Dude!

Some Canadian medium format eh:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

elgarbo posted:

buy my c220 in the buy/sell thread :v:

also the last couple pages have been really good. good job everyone.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Bar 3/3 (of bars I'm posting on this page of the thread) in Conrad, MT

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Untitled-(5) by Benjamin Gibb, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Mods pls rename this thread "photos of buildings" thanks

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
A person!!!!!111!!1!1!!!!112!!!!

Tyler

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 20, 2018

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Awkward Davies posted:

A person!!!!!111!!1!1!!!!112!!!!

3 sisters & their mother

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ansel autisms posted:

3 sisters & their mother

Holy poo poo people and buildings TOGETHER

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Awkward Davies posted:

Holy poo poo people and buildings TOGETHER

I dont know if you know this about the person pic you posted but that person is pretty clearly in a building

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

8th-snype posted:

I dont know if you know this about the person pic you posted but that person is pretty clearly in a building

shitttttttttttt I didnt even realize when I took it

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Happens to me all the time

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Building or art?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ansel autisms posted:

Building or art?