Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Spedman posted:

I recently saw a show where 8x10 negs were wet printed to that kind of size, and if you got close you could start to easily see the grain etc.
Matthew Abbott at the Fox?

Check it out if not, great work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

rohan posted:

Matthew Abbott at the Fox?

Check it out if not, great work.

Yep that's the one, ridiculously good.

somnambulist posted:

I recently sold a print of this at 30"x60" and the ice looked "pixelated" a bit when printed at that size.

mendenhall by David Franco, on Flickr

It wasn't AWFUL, i mean, it sold-- but I noticed the people interested in buying the work got really close to look at details, and it kind of bothered me that they would be looking at a limitation on my camera. I might be overthinking it of course, but I felt like medium format would help in not only resolution, but in general clarity.

I also do a lot of portraiture, and here I need the resolution less, but I do love the look of medium format portraiture (the depth of field is so nice) Here is an example of my portrait stuff.

Michaele by David Franco, on Flickr

The reason why I asked what you shoot was more to do with if you'll get more out of say better lighting gear for your portraits, or travel to somewhere totally new to you for landscape shots, etc How often are you actually printing those size prints? Do you actually want to printing your work that size anyway?

I think if you want to go more mega pixels than the 5Ds you'll have to shell out a lot more than $10k to make it worth while

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

You might want to consider the Hasselblad multishot cameras as well: http://www.hasselblad.com/h5-system/h5d-multi-shot

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Clearly the best answer is to talk to Hugo or Keith, get an actual 30x60 camera made, and do everything as contact prints.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Yond Cassius posted:

Clearly the best answer is to talk to Hugo or Keith, get an actual 30x60 camera made, and do everything as contact prints.

Uh the best answer is to go full on Clifford Ross and make terrible art out of the highest resolution images ever created.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Have you actually considered just shooting MF film? The barrier to entry is pretty low right now

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib
case in point :razz:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

Parc Olympique tower, Montreal

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

This reminds me of Todd Hido

eggsovereasy fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 31, 2016

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

Parc Olympique tower, Montreal

I'd fave this on flickr

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Trying some different stuff...

Kurnell by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

That's cool.

k-zed posted:

case in point :razz:

This is cool, did you do it with LF movements (probably not, since you're referencing MF), or a shift lens? Or you were up in another building?

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

nice posting station

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Really nice.

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

SMERSH Mouth posted:

That's cool.

This is cool, did you do it with LF movements (probably not, since you're referencing MF), or a shift lens? Or you were up in another building?

It's just a 180mm lens and some cheating (a bit of lightroom perspective correction)

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I think my photo place cut the first two frames off all of the rolls I just got developed (11 total). There are about 8 developed frames on each roll. One end of the roll has a small fraction of a seemingly well exposed image, and the other end has a blank space, enough for two frames.

I shot the rolls with the GW670II, which seems pretty precise about roll start and end points.

It seems like they just hosed up, and didn't realize where the start and end points of the roll were (though I can't be totally sure obviously). Is that possible?

Obviously there's nothing I can do about it now, but I'm upset. If they did gently caress up, I lost 22 frames, more than two full rolls.

I scanned 2 of the rolls before realizing, but have the others. Is it worth going back and asking what happened and trying to get some money back?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Why would your lab cut your 120 at all?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ansel autisms posted:

Why would your lab cut your 120 at all?

I get the "whole" roll back, and then I cut them in order to scan them. The rolls do look like they've been trimmed (in one case, it cuts off in the middle of a perfectly exposed image with no obvious light exposure or blotching like it was hosed up as part of developing the roll or otherwise.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Here's a couple examples, sorry for the poo poo quality.

Perfectly good image cut in half:

Untitled by spike mccue, on Flickr

Full roll, with a lot of space on one end and a chopped image on the other.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Don't know what kind of a lab error would cause that, looks more like the film wasn't loaded properly.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Thoogsby posted:

Don't know what kind of a lab error would cause that, looks more like the film wasn't loaded properly.

I mean that's totally possible, too. Maybe I didnt advance it so the arrows on the film lined up with that of the camera before closing the back? I don't know.

(I mean, user error is much more likely here, I'm just not sure how that would have happened).

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 2, 2016

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Awkward Davies posted:

I mean that's totally possible, too. Maybe I didnt advance it so the arrows on the film lined up with that of the camera before closing the back? I don't know.

(I mean, user error is much more likely here, I'm just not sure how that would have happened).

Or your camera is out of alignment, the frame spacing doesn't look consistent on the strip you posted. If the camera is eating up extra space you would end up with half a frame at the end.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I almost always get a half-frame on the end of each 120 roll. I put it down to my camera being hilariously badly put together. I don't know how half a frame can actually end up in front of the shutter unless only part of the film is coated with emulsion and I'm just hitting the boundary for it.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Awkward Davies posted:

Here's a couple examples, sorry for the poo poo quality.

Perfectly good image cut in half:

This looks wrong to me. Fuji numbers their 120 1-16 (for 645), so their spacing is not the same as Kodak's, but there should be way more lead there than the image suggests. If nothing else, there's a bit of tape holding the "front" end of a 120 roll to the backing paper, to ensure that it feeds together properly. Even ignoring the numbering, if this were just a loose nut behind the viewfinder or an alignment error, you'd see its shadow left in the image.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 2, 2016

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I never had any issues of that type with that camera either.

Are you sure you're lining up the arrows on the film to the orange dots?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Wild EEPROM posted:

I never had any issues of that type with that camera either.

Are you sure you're lining up the arrows on the film to the orange dots?

That's probably what happened I guess. Lesson learned.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I've been scanning a lot of film this week

edit: redid white balance

eggsovereasy fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 3, 2016

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

eggsovereasy posted:

I've been scanning a lot of film this week

Your colours are fairly off. Seems to be lots of red/purple

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

deaders posted:

Your colours are fairly off. Seems to be lots of red/purple

Thanks, I redid them is it better now?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

That's cool. What's the story there?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Sludge Tank posted:

That's the large format forums hq, dukeku bravely took a photo as we all got banned.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Sludge Tank posted:

It's on the Bonneville Speedway. I showed up (coincidentally) a day after races were held, saw a blip on the horizon, drove towards it, and found toilets a few minutes before the trucks came to haul them all away.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I shot some expired ORWO NP22:

The Claptain fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 3, 2016

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

Doctor Bombadil posted:

I shot some expired ORWO NP22:

i especially like the middle one with the roof. what camera did you use?