Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

I've really been loving everything you've been doing lately. All top quality stuff. Keep at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

2spoopy

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

That's cool. What's the story there?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

e: sorry for shopping shitpost

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 11, 2016

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Twenties Superstar posted:

i dont really care much for the blur tbh
I did a digitial long exposure (half second) photo years before in just the rough open sea that came out really well, wanted to try the same thing going though ice and got the chance to do it again. I agree it's not exactly knock out stuff but it was worth trying. A thousand apologies that it didn't blow your loving mind.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 21, 2016

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I'm not lovely. Just drunk and obnoxious. :lumpen:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Fellers I'm sorry if this is too e/n for the thread.
I had a real bad romantic distress a couple of months ago and] it has entirely sapped all my passion or drive for anything photographic. Moreso than ever before as usuallly these situations are what push me into suffocating myself with photography.. I've been stuck in a static state of just work/sleep/eat repeat. Completely fallen off the wagon and have produced literally zilch in about 2 or so months. I've tried drastically to build up the confidence and motivation to do something but just cannot summon the energy. I've been watching the threads and blogs and going to shows and feeding my appetite for art but not producing anything myself. I don't know what I'm waiting for. Outside of "go out and shoot" I need something else because that's what my IRL friends keep saying but I can't muster the juice. I feel completely hosed. Feel like I'm even losing my eye. Does anyone have some advice you can give me? I'm totally at a loss but I feel the itch, but the instictive urge to scratch it isn't there. Sorry to dump e/n but I just feel worthless atm

sincerely
token e/n guy

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 1, 2016

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
8x10s

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 6, 2017

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Cheers for the comments a few pages back re: motivation. Didn't want to clog up thread. Made it my new years resolution to really nail this process.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 15, 2017

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Like this one.
Good to see you still manage to get out shooting with babby and whatnot

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
The Big Spud near where I grew up sure is something else.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Nws: http://i67.tinypic.com/53wt8x.jpg

32 sec exposure @ f5.6, window light. 13 secs dev

Kinda wish i halved exposure and developed longer for more contrast but we didnt have time and it's a nice start for something new to me

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 26, 2017

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

underage at the vape shop posted:

You've single handedly made me pause and look at potted plants every time I'm out.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Was out the lakes the other day and tried to do an 11x14 tintype. Same old developer problems. 11x14's are way harder than 8x10's. Getting there but at least dust isn't an issue anymore. Need to work on getting the developer to flow more evenly and stop it evenly as well. the misty streaks in the bottom half of the image are parts where the developer has either hit that area a second or so before the rest or where the water stop hasn't washed it off enough and it's just diluted the developer into the water and continued to develop a little slower. Stop water behaves super oily when it hits the plate.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 6, 2017

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I'm getting curious about pinhole particularly pano's. Can anybody recommend a nice 6x12-6x17/18 120 roll film pinhole camera?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
lovely photo of an 11x14 clear glass ambrotype on a black bedsheet

The exposure is bunk but I'm finally happy with the even flow of developer over the whole plate, which is what I was trying to nail today. It's slowly all coming together with these 11x14's

If the weather holds out this week I hope to get out and do some nice trees.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Cheers bud
Yeah she moved a fair bit during the 32 second exposure but it turned out way better than i thought it would

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Yeah I hung a thin bedsheet in front of the window to diffuse the sunlight

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 27, 2017

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
My old Toyo 45AII had a coldshoe slot on top that you could slide in a viewfinder (i bought a cheap one on ebay that you could change between 90, 150 and 210mm field of view)
I dunno how many cameras have that feature but you can find some good deals on 45A's on shitbay sometimes and I'm sure if you had a beater without a coldshoe slot you could rig up something similar very easily.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
11x14 ambrotype

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 5, 2017

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
8x10 black glass ambrotype
4 seconds exposure

:nws:

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 10, 2017

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
sorry

Here's another one, this one on ruby (red) glass

:nws:

https://flic.kr/p/UnhsEy

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
11x14 clear glass ambrotype
4min 25sec exposure

and another with 30 seconds exposure. Harsh sunlight is a prick with emulsion this old.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jun 13, 2017

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

BANME.sh posted:

Two rather unremarkable landscapes using my Graphic View II 4x5. First one I forgot to stop down after focusing so it;s completely out of focus. They both looked moodier in person and I was hoping that would make up for the lack of decent subject and composition but I was wrong. I think I was just getting anxious to shoot something which is not a good idea most of the time.

That first one could be cool if you recomposed the creek in a more interesting leading-line fashion and maybe in black and white (where it goes into that snaky s-bend for example)
the bright reflective water is a cool contrast to the dark grass around it. The colours dont really do it for me but I have blinding autism so ymmv

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 13, 2017

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
You can get graflex 120 roll film pano backs for some 4x5 cameras. Like the toyo or sinar for instance. They can be 6x7, 6x9, 6x12 but im not sure if they go up to 6x17 (they could do)

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
11x14 inch clear glass ambrotype of a 130 year old mulberry tree and an 8x10 inch black glass ambrotype of the owners of the property on which it sits.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
11x14 inch clear glass ambrotypes

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Awkward Davies posted:

How not to meter/how not to pose

how did that happen?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

elgarbo posted:

Your use of Hipstamatic filters has reached next level, nice work dude.

You know you're getting somewhere when your actual photos almost get as many instagram likes as the photos of your cameras

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
This might be a stretch but do any of you guys have any tips or hacks on fixing light traps in old wooden film holders? Any tutorials or anything online? It's a 100+ year old Korona plate holder so getting it replaced is drat near impossible unless one comes up for sale by some chance.

I tried doing the load/unload under dark cloth thing and still no bueno, its pretty bad.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Replacing the felt seems like the only viable option I think. It's just a very delicate woodworking job.
It's a 12x20 inch holder and the dark slide is colourbond steel which is very heavy so just leaving it part ways in is pretty much out of the question. If I could remove the plinth or whatever it is I could assess the felt but I think it's glued together and there's tiny little cobbler's nails as well as flat head screws that won't budge without some woodworking know how.

E: i did a test by turning the lights out and looking through the front standard while running my phone torch up wnd down the strip of the slide slot. It is a pretty catastrophic leak. The fogging on this plate is worst along the top and bottom but the whole plate is fogged to some extent

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 27, 2017

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth