Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Automotive Instincts by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

I don't know why you're giving me that look mate, you're the one walking into my loving photo

which part of deadpan urban landscape says "hi-vis vest" to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Spedman posted:

I recently saw a show where 8x10 negs were wet printed to that kind of size, and if you got close you could start to easily see the grain etc.
Matthew Abbott at the Fox?

Check it out if not, great work.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Bigfoot by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

What could I possibly do with my last roll of Astia, besides taking it back to Japan for a proper send-off?

Shimokitazawa by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

Shopfront by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

Scanning these last shots made me realise just how good a film it was, the Provia shots I'm working through are nowhere near as nice. Why must Fuji make terrible decisions :(

oh well, at least we can still buy three loving versions of velvia in every format

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

I have two, and recommend them. The only advantage Mod54 has is that it can load 6 sheets as opposed to 4, but I never loaded the full six sheets anyway so it was a moot point. I also noticed my Mod54 would sometimes leave marks from the plastic fingers, while the SP-445 doesn’t have any plastic touching the emulsion at all.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Google Butt posted:

Gotcha, in that case LF is probably out of the equation until I get my Sony a7ii and lenses at least. Is MF marginally cheaper or significantly so?
Camera costs aside, because it doesn’t make any sense to compare camera prices (you can buy 35mm cameras that are more expensive than entire LF kits), LF is significantly more expensive per shot.

Again, it’s a false economy if you’re after the LF experience, though. Shooting LF is different to other formats even before you develop the negatives.

[edit: I also think it’s a false economy to get a camera you’ll never take into the field with you, monorails seem like a PITA to me though I know other people here have used them and might have better insight...

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

MrBlandAverage posted:

I disagree, rollfilm backs can be good. I'm always going to shoot 4x5 if it makes sense, but there's some cases where I want movements and also don't need 4x5. The main practical issue is that a 135mm lens is normal-wide on 4x5 but pretty tight on even 6x7, so you're either getting a much shorter lens (I have a 65mm that just barely covers 4x5 and is used rarely for that purpose but more often gets used when I'm using my rollfilm back) or taking an entirely different kind of photo.
Wouldn’t a 90mm lens be the best solution here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Wild EEPROM posted:

Large format weighs less than medium format
Cameras and lenses, sure, depending on the kit. I can’t really argue that LF can be more inconvenient, though. My Chamonix weighs about the same as my Hassy with lens attached, and the Hassy has the benefit of being able to hold 12 shots when loaded. There’s more commitment to shooting 4x5 just in terms of loading film holders beforehand and carrying them with you, as opposed to throwing a few rolls of film in a bag and changing rolls in broad daylight.