Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I've been following this guy's Instagram for a bit and really enjoyed his work. All LF: http://instagram.com/gregmillerfoto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ansel autisms posted:

I don't understand why people would want to share their LF work on Instagram. Such a big format presented on such a tiny network.

I think the network is huge though. You gotta go where the people are, to some extent. It does seem somewhat silly, but also you can still see the LF difference in the photos.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

I dunno. I think snobbery is available to people who are already successful. Lynch can rail against iPhones all he wants, he doesn't have to worry about people not watching his stuff. He can afford to tell them that they're consuming his work "wrong".

Also, why would you limit yourself? The more people who look at, appreciate, and get interested in any sort of analog photography, the better. The more inaccessible and exclusive you make it, the fewer people buy film and cameras, and the sooner it dies.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Thoogsby posted:

Greg Miller travels and holds workshops all over the place. My guess is he has the Instagram presence so Joe Q. Millennial in rural town X can find him easily. To me it says Greg Miller is probably a dullard that's out of ideas. There's established photographers doing cool things on Instagram (Stacey Kranitz, Stephen Shore, Teju Cole), follow those guys!

I didn't know Stephen Shore had one. Looked at his instagram, what cool thing is he doing? Looks like normal gram shots to me.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Report: I've run a couple rolls through my "new" GW670ii, and a fair number of frames are black because I left the lens cap on because I'm used to looking through the lens :(

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Mods pls rename this thread "photos of buildings" thanks

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
A person!!!!!111!!1!1!!!!112!!!!

Tyler

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 20, 2018

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ansel autisms posted:

3 sisters & their mother

Holy poo poo people and buildings TOGETHER

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

8th-snype posted:

I dont know if you know this about the person pic you posted but that person is pretty clearly in a building

shitttttttttttt I didnt even realize when I took it

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Karl Barks posted:

^^ wow

Attempting some scanning and color correction myself. Maybe slightly magenta?

Just a tiny bit. I played around with it a little:

http://imgur.com/a/CjHxA

edit: wow, imgur blows now. No direct links to images?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ansel autisms posted:

The hell are you talking about

Hunh weird, I was served a new page with no direct link. Maybe he's AB testing or maybe it's my ad blocker ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Spedman posted:

Thanks, there's a few more but they're a little too personal to share

Well now I'm even more curious.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Nice

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Spedman posted:

They're from a late family member's home.

Oh, I'm sorry :(

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

alkanphel posted:

Just add more mist, random floodlight, and surreal person standing in the middle.

An old 70s/80s Chrysler, door open, children in the back seat facing away, car lit from the inside, adult out of the car in the middle of the road, lit softly by headlights, silhouette of adult in one of the upper windows of the building.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

This thread makes me want to buy a mf camera, just to get the film look. I'm going to be a very poor man soon aren't I

Yes

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
E: a bad post

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 4, 2016

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Shoot whatever you want, whenever you want, however you want.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So my girlfriends father just gave me a roll of Kodachrome 64, and a couple rolls of Ektachrome (100 and 200 speed). The Kodachrome expired 1988 but it's been in a fridge. What are the chances it's still shootable, and can you even get it developed anywhere?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Yond Cassius posted:

It's probably still shootable, but the only way to develop it is as black-and-white. Resurrecting Kodachrome is one of these mad delusions that comes along every so often, but it's really only viable with the kind of industrial-scale chemical purity and process control that Kodak provided. Academically speaking, it's possible to reconstruct the process, but good luck: one guy in Australia has done it, and from his account it was like trying to reconstruct formulas from scraps of Necronomicon scattered into the four winds.

:( oh well, guess I'll give it back to him to stick back in his film fridge. At least I can do the Ektachrome.

8th-snype posted:

There's a dude on etsy that will develop it for like $50
https://www.etsy.com/shop/PiratelogyStudios

Wait this can't actually work right

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Yond Cassius posted:

Clearly the best answer is to talk to Hugo or Keith, get an actual 30x60 camera made, and do everything as contact prints.

Uh the best answer is to go full on Clifford Ross and make terrible art out of the highest resolution images ever created.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I think my photo place cut the first two frames off all of the rolls I just got developed (11 total). There are about 8 developed frames on each roll. One end of the roll has a small fraction of a seemingly well exposed image, and the other end has a blank space, enough for two frames.

I shot the rolls with the GW670II, which seems pretty precise about roll start and end points.

It seems like they just hosed up, and didn't realize where the start and end points of the roll were (though I can't be totally sure obviously). Is that possible?

Obviously there's nothing I can do about it now, but I'm upset. If they did gently caress up, I lost 22 frames, more than two full rolls.

I scanned 2 of the rolls before realizing, but have the others. Is it worth going back and asking what happened and trying to get some money back?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ansel autisms posted:

Why would your lab cut your 120 at all?

I get the "whole" roll back, and then I cut them in order to scan them. The rolls do look like they've been trimmed (in one case, it cuts off in the middle of a perfectly exposed image with no obvious light exposure or blotching like it was hosed up as part of developing the roll or otherwise.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Here's a couple examples, sorry for the poo poo quality.

Perfectly good image cut in half:

Untitled by spike mccue, on Flickr

Full roll, with a lot of space on one end and a chopped image on the other.

Untitled by spike mccue, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Thoogsby posted:

Don't know what kind of a lab error would cause that, looks more like the film wasn't loaded properly.

I mean that's totally possible, too. Maybe I didnt advance it so the arrows on the film lined up with that of the camera before closing the back? I don't know.

(I mean, user error is much more likely here, I'm just not sure how that would have happened).

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 2, 2016

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Wild EEPROM posted:

I never had any issues of that type with that camera either.

Are you sure you're lining up the arrows on the film to the orange dots?

That's probably what happened I guess. Lesson learned.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The face of a guy who cant load film properly (or expose properly, depending on how you look at it)

This guy sucks

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 20, 2018

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Girlfriend and I took a round trip road trip between SF and LA a few weeks ago and did some exploring into empty central CA.

AK

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Still scanning and editing bad photos sorry

Another friend portrait gone only ok:

Russ

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Hah, I know him. Hi rijard.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Untitled

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 20, 2018

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Pretty annoyed at myself for missing the metering on this shot (and the whole rest of the roll). Metering on the fly with a hand meter (aka my phone) is hard as gently caress. I need a camera with a godamn light meter on it.

img253.jpg

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Yeah I gotta do that.

It's more that I suck at doing the mental work of "super dark and super light in the same image, okay, what should I be metering for, cause if I meter for this...etc etc". Basically I'm bad at photography 101.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

What film/speed was this?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Lots of stuff was on fire when I was in California.

Santa Barbara Fire

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

CA

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Twenties Superstar posted:

i dont really care much for the blur tbh