Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Digital Photography of my LF gear, GW690ii and a shameful F100 for scale.

Homebuilt 8x10, Century Graphic Whole Plate and Speed Graphic 4x5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I REALLY like this

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Here's too many photos at once:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

elgarbo posted:

I really like this whole set.

Thanks, there's a few more but they're a little too personal to share

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Awkward Davies posted:

Well now I'm even more curious.

They're from a late family member's home.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

My guess is to find old people who've lived in the same house for 50 years

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

elgarbo posted:

My advice: don't try to learn photography on a MF camera. Seriously, if you like the look and want to experiment with it, set it as a long term goal. Play around with a manual 35mm camera for a while first. You'll save yourself a poo poo ton of money and frustration.

Seriously this, I didn't touch a medium format camera until I had shot 35mm for a couple of years

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Well then why ask it of me except to be a dick.

He's asking the question you should be asking yourself.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

This thread was going so well :sigh:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

At least yours got delivered, mines still sitting in a holding depot in Melbourne somewhere, and I think alkanphel's got sent back because they hosed up his address.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

nielsm posted:

Received my SP-445 developing tank just now. Finally I can develop all those LF negatives I never shoot.

Mine now arrived, I'll give it a work out tomorrow with a couple of sheets

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Spedman posted:

Mine now arrived, I'll give it a work out tomorrow with a couple of sheets

I can confirm that he SP-445 is pretty great, really even negs without any special processing parameters. I just treated the development like you would with a Paterson tank, inversion times, etc, no problems.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

somnambulist posted:

In what way is it different? (MF raw compared to FF)

My current large prints are hung in a gallery and up close you start to see it break apart a bit. I printed something at 30x60 and it looked "ok" but I wish It had more detail.

I recently saw a show where 8x10 negs were wet printed to that kind of size, and if you got close you could start to easily see the grain etc. I think you're trying to solve a problem that isn't actually a problem, but you've got $10k to burn and more megapixels would somewhat elevate this non-issue.

What kind of work do you shoot? Is there other gear that would improve you're shooting or make you're job easier? Would some travel give some opportunities you'd never have otherwise?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

rohan posted:

Matthew Abbott at the Fox?

Check it out if not, great work.

Yep that's the one, ridiculously good.

somnambulist posted:

I recently sold a print of this at 30"x60" and the ice looked "pixelated" a bit when printed at that size.

mendenhall by David Franco, on Flickr

It wasn't AWFUL, i mean, it sold-- but I noticed the people interested in buying the work got really close to look at details, and it kind of bothered me that they would be looking at a limitation on my camera. I might be overthinking it of course, but I felt like medium format would help in not only resolution, but in general clarity.

I also do a lot of portraiture, and here I need the resolution less, but I do love the look of medium format portraiture (the depth of field is so nice) Here is an example of my portrait stuff.

Michaele by David Franco, on Flickr

The reason why I asked what you shoot was more to do with if you'll get more out of say better lighting gear for your portraits, or travel to somewhere totally new to you for landscape shots, etc How often are you actually printing those size prints? Do you actually want to printing your work that size anyway?

I think if you want to go more mega pixels than the 5Ds you'll have to shell out a lot more than $10k to make it worth while

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

ansel autisms posted:

Reflective metering is for chumps.

:orks:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

iSheep posted:

thanks everyone

Give the man a Chapstick

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Here's some 4x5 shots of flowers taken with an uncoated f/2.9 lens

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Much sharper on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

elgarbo posted:

love these

Then here's some more (again, sharper on Flickr)

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

GW690 so simple, so good, none of this SLR business

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Delzuma posted:

I'm thinking about pulling the pin on a Fuji Ga645zi. Anyone have any thoughts on it? I'm looking for a traveling camera with some level of exposure help and I won't sneeze at autofocus either. Looks like this is the (affordable) way to go. I'd prefer something in the 6x6 area but this seems like a good way to go.

I've threatened to get a GA645 for a long time as a travel cam, I'd rather get a fixed focus rather than a zoom for the faster/sharper lens, and less parts equals less opportunity for cam failure:

https://www.filmshooterscollective.com/analog-film-photography-blog/fujifilm-ga645-long-term-review-5-19

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

Finally shot and developed some expired Astia 220 that I bought from some goon earlier 2016. My first time developing E-6 at home :)

edit: I need to dust better

The best bit is pulling a big roll of developed slides out of the tank, very satisfying

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Just get a GW690, it's got two exposure buttons, on the front and one on the winder, and takes no batteries

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Understanding posted:

I chanced on some holders, figured why not, if I don't get a camera, I can use them for some fancy pinhole work, or sell em.

e: 5 4x5 holders, one 6 shot 4x5 magazine, and a steel 35mm development roll for $40, why not?

Beware that those Grafmatics can be a little problematic sometimes and jam

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Sludge Tank posted:

Like this one.
Good to see you still manage to get out shooting with babby and whatnot

Cheers
I'm still not getting out very often, once every month or two, hopefully with more regularity as time goes by.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Thats really nice Sludge Tank, nailing the exposure. I can only imagine how difficult it is dealing with such a big plate, 8x10 was more than hard enough for me.

Here's a couple of 6x9 cropped to 4x5, something I'm liking these days.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

That's real nice, and the technical difficulty of getting that shot on wet plate is ridiculous

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Primo Itch posted:

I'm thinking about a Graflex, but all the models are making me quite confused honestly, from what I understand I should be looking for a speed graphic or a busch pressman, right? Any other sugestions? Are the focus plane shutter on these usable after so many years? I'm quite the tinkerer and having the oportunity to adapt whatever crazy lenses I get across sounds nice.

Thank you guys :)

New page, hope this counts as content.

I've got a Speed Graphic with the focal plane shutter, which works really well and is quite accurate. I've adapted a bunch of barrel lenses just by making my own crappy lens mounts out of plywood, which is easy enough to do. It doesn't have the most movements by any stretch, but it's a versatile and compact camera, I'd recommend it.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I always use freestylephoto dot biz. They're appreciably cheaper than either of my local stores. Sometimes there are deals on eBay, but they can also be pretty sketchy.

If there's a consistent source with better prices than freestyle, I haven't heard of it.

B&H

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Here's one from a few months ago

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Here's a few from recent outings

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Yes, I like the ratio and the 6x9 gives me room to get the crop I want

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Rot posted:

Aw but I like my ETRsi :(

That being said, today I got this thing in the mail:

fuji
by Brian Kennedy, on Flickr

Ye gods, what a monster.

First impressions:
- it's comically huge and a bit awkward to handle but I'll get used to it
- the shutter and aperture rings are kinda hard to adjust since they're so close together and the window to reach them is a bit small
- the infamous shutter clang isn't nearly as bad as the internet lead me to believe. There's definitely a hollow *sproing* kinda sound and it's not pretty but it's much quieter than my Bronica's mirror slap

The body shows it's age but so far it seems mechanically sound. Unfortunately it kinda smells like cigarettes but hopefully that will pass.

I ran a roll through it and to be honest was feeling a touch of buyer's remose...that is until I pulled the roll out of the tank....

:fap: 6x9 :fap:

I know 2:3 isn't the favoured mf ratio but....wow.

Edit: Any tips on cleaning this thing? The shutter/aperture/distance numbers are kinda yellowed and grimy and I'd really like to do what I can to get rid of this stale cig smell. I've found a guide for opening up the top so I can clean and adjust the rangefinder but I'd like general tips on the best way to clean this up.

GW690 is the best, mine isn't as clean as yours, I wouldn't bother cleaning or opening it up, just get out and shoot.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Have some square death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Also if you’re getting into LF with some decent gear you won’t lose money if you decide it’s not for you. The gear isn’t cheap, but it holds its value well.