Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

8th-snype posted:

I shot a bunch in the early '00s it was trash but then again so was I.

Not a lot has changed I see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I never had any issues of that type with that camera either.

Are you sure you're lining up the arrows on the film to the orange dots?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

~*just medium format things*~

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Satan takes his toll.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Wild EEPROM fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 15, 2017

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

how to not suck at photo:

1) be good

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Plaubel makina 67
Fuji gf670

In my case I stopped bringing so much stuff, and my single camera single lens setup of the 500cm is very reasonable.

Basically buy a hasselblad.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

seriously though it's not supposed to feel good when you suddenly realize what you're missing.

the p67 is a top-shelf professional camera that you can be shooting right now for $500 with a lens. You can't even buy a Hasselblad kit for half that price. gently caress, you can't even shoot a Mamiya 645 with an 80/1.9 for that nowadays.

literally all of my camera gear has appreciated +100% in the last 6 years but my MF gear is the poo poo I'm most convinced in, and the P67 most of all.

Sure you can http://www.ebay.com/itm/HASSELBLAD-500-EL-M-BLACK-WITH-9V-BATTERY-ADAPTER-/201759905363?hash=item2ef9d3d653:g:Ff8AAOSw44BYDtM7

the EL sucks but still.

I also agree with everything you say with the p67. It's a good camera.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's a body, no lens, how much does the kit cost?

$85 Viewfinder http://www.ebay.com/itm/HASSELBLAD-...EQAAOSwMgdXx1t2

$113 for a back http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hasselblad-A12-V-Button-Roll-Film-Back-Chrome-425-/401196834990?hash=item5d6931e0ae:g:IiIAAOSwOyJX63ga

$210 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Excllent-Ha...f0AAOSwENxXlsG2

and $206 for the above body

= $614.

Doesn't really suit my style but it's possible. For me I would get a regular 500cm body and the 80mm instead.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I had the wrong link pasted. It's basically a flip up hood so you can actually see your poo poo.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HASSELBLAD-...EQAAOSwMgdXx1t2

It's also possible to find setups for not significantly more; I paid closer to $750 for mine, I've seen ones here for around that, and once a (pretty tired) 500c with chrome 80mm locally for the equivalent of $550 usd.
Realistically it's closer to $900 for a standard 80mm 500cm setup though

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

It also lets you shoot short rolls of 120

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Also the expensive cameras have incredible resale so you won't really be out much if you don't like it and resell it.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Pro400h is just like portra but instead of being good it's bad

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

You could buy the 38 or 40 for hasselblad 500cm

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

It's hard to truly gently caress up developing black and white.

It's easy to recover from your mistakes.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

If it doesn't say anything it's broken.
If it says functioning it's probably not accurate.
If it says MINT++++ A++ it's broken.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Yes I am the other goon who shoots the hasselblad while goon VelociBacon shoots pentax. I also had a pentax in the past.

The hasselblad is around 3lb, while the pentax is closer to 5lb with the standard lens.

The pentax is just like a big slr, the hasselblad is an slr but it's a different shooting experience because of the ergonomics.

The hasselblad is not metered. (mine isn't, at least). You will need a handheld meter. The Pentax has a pentaprism with a meter in it, which is quite accurate.

The hasselblad is a leaf shutter, and can flash sync at any shutter speed, unlike the Pentax's 1/30 flash sync speed. However, the hasselblad maxes out at 1/500 shutterspeed, while the pentax gets up to 1/1000.

I prefer the ergonomics of the hasselblad for extended shooting. It's light, carrying it diagonally with a strap is comfortable, and the viewfinder is enormous and very bright.

The hasselblad is fully mechanical. Many old camera repair guys can still fix them. The pentax is partially electronic, and only a few camera repair guys will fix them.

No comments to the pentax normal lens quality as I did not own one with my pentax. The hasselblad normal lens (80mm f2.8) is stunningly good.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

The bellows are large, heavy, and also cool

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Yeah never buy the standard 2x35 Patterson tank always buy the bigger one.
Minimum 3x35 but the pro option is the 5x35

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

girl pants posted:

I wouldn't want to spend more than like... Maybe $3-500. Closer to $300 if possible.

there are So many systems you could buy for $3-500.

The previously mentioned, plus:
Mamiya C series TLRs
Ricoh TLRs
Probably an older Rolleicord TLR
Pretty much every folding viewfinder camera (zeiss ikonta, agfa isolette, etc)
Those big fuji rangefinders (GW670, GW690)
Pretty much every eastern europe MF camera (previously mentioned arax, plus also things like the pentacon and kievs)
Pentax 6x7 would be at the higher end of your budget, but it is an unbelievaly good system
Probably some of the bronica cameras?
Mamiya RB and RZ 67

Basically as long as you aren't expecting a hasselblad, rolleiflex, makina, contax 645, or mamiya 6/7, most systems are very affordable.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

My first was the Pentax 6x7. I shot about 4 rolls of film through it before it stopped working.

Then I moved onto the fujifilm gw670ii, which helped me discover that I don't like rangefinders.

Then I got the hasselblad 500cm and that's where I am now. It's fairly small and light for a modular mf slr camera.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

how are you scanning and could it just be your scanning setup

is it sharp under loupe or unsharp under loupe

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Which did you get, with the Olympus lens?
How is the size of the rangefinder, is it old-school-small?
How is the image quality?

Been thinking about one for a long time.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

best one is the bessa III

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Sounds like it's time to learn all about the following topics:
- 18% grey
- spot vs centerweight vs "matrix" metering
- how much light is 1 stop
- sunny 16
- incident vs reflective
- reciprocity failure (if you are shooting at night)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Price no object: gitzo

Price is an object: Sirui carbon fiber

Price is very important: get more money so you wont have to re buy eventually.

Spend the money on a nice ball head and Arca Swiss comparable plates for every camera too.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Saving money on the camera is a false economy.

Your big expenses are elsewhere, and also if you cheap out on the camera you’re gonna spend the money on the good thing in the end anyways so just get the good thing now.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

The sooner you get in, the less your existing digital gear will depreciate

At this point they’re practically paying you

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

V550 is not big enough to do 4x5, you can either scan twice and stitch (ugh) or buy a v700/750/800/850 as suggested above.

The light in the 550 is just wide enough for 120 film

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Large format

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

looks a clown enlarger for clowns to make prints of the circus

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

False economy.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

also don't just set the black point to the area around your image and call it a day for whitebalance, you won't be getting any good results with that.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Large format weighs less than medium format

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

it's worth the extra for sure.

you're going to buy one eventually anyways so instead of wasting the money buying 5 more aluminum tripods before you get there, just spend the money right the first time.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

You already have the best hasselblad lens so buy a hasselblad to take advantage of it. No other system will take advantage of it.

Dont buy a 500c or any of the focal plane models (1600, 1000, 2000, 203, 205, etc). They are all incredibly unreliable and extremelt expensive to repair. Stick to the leaf shutter models (500cm, 501c, 501cm, 503 cx,503 cw, etc) or if you really want, the motor drive models (500el, 500elx, etc)

Also keep in mind that yes a hasselblad will be more expensive but if you’re trying to resell it you wont lose much or any money. Other systems will be cheaper but nobody wants to buy a kiev at any price.

Its also somewhat easy to find repair and service for a hasselblad. Parts are available and every major city in the western world will have an old guy who can get it serviced. Good luck getting anyone to fix a bronica.

What you’ll need is a lens, body, viewfinder or prism (usually comes with the body), and a film back. I think emulsive has a comprehensive guide on the system. I think the best place to start is the 500cm body, a waist level viewfinder, and an a12 back. 80mm f2.8 is the standard lens and it is unbelievably good.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Extra benefits of the 501 and beyond is that you also get the much brighter acute-matte screen by default. The 500c and 500cm screens are not even close to as bright, and the acute-matte is a $250+ upgrade (and the acute-matte D is a $400+ upgrade)

Just make sure if you are buying a 501, to check if the seller has actually kept the acute-matte screen with it.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Here's some more to read, if you're not confused enough:

start here
https://emulsive.org/reviews/the-hasselblad-v-system-master-guide-overview

And about the various film backs
https://emulsive.org/reviews/camera-reviews/the-hasselblad-v-system-master-guide-film-magazines-instant-and-sheet-film-backs

And here are some about the lenses
https://emulsive.org/articles/the-hasselblad-v-system-master-guide-c-and-c-t-star-lenses
https://emulsive.org/articles/the-hasselblad-v-system-master-guide-cf-cf-fle-and-ihi-lenses

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

C
H
A
M
O
N
I
X

Don’t waste your time with poo poo like the intrepid. You’ll end up buying the chamonix later anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Intrepid is the lightest 4x5 since you’ll realize how poorly made it is and just not carry it around.