Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I really like this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, I fell in love with the idea of a LF camera over the winter. I also like to build stuff, so the original plan was to build my own, but other more important projects kept getting in the way, so I finally caved in and ordered an Intrepid Mk4. I now that there's cheaper options on ebay, but I was keen on a field camera, as I plan to take it with me hiking in the mountains.
I did do film photography some 25 years ago, including development/enlarging, so I got some idea of what I'm doing...but probably not as much as I should.
I got a local lab that can develop at a reasonable price ($6/shot), which is fine.
I have a lens (135mm), 5 film holders, shutter cable/trigger.
I'm planning to just get a box of HP5 to start with and I'll use my OMD-5 for light metering.
I still need to buy a changing bag.
What do you use for focusing hood?. Do I need a loupe?.
Any other bits that will be handy?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah, I'm in Canada...so call it $4 USD :D.

I don't hate the idea of developing my own, but I'll wait until I actually know how to use the camera

I had mostly seen positive reviews for the Intrepid...but then most of those were linked off Intrepid themselves. I'll dig around some more, but I have fallen in love with the look/design. There's currently 6 weeks wait, so cancelling is definitely an option.

I'll dig around for a loupe...seems to be about $100USD?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, some googling and mostly reading on the largeformatphotography forum, seems to suggest that most people are happy with their intrepids, but also that there is some lemons out there.
I'll take it as being forewarned and will stick with my decision...hopefully I wont have to come back here and tell you that you were right :D.
Found a 5X EMO Macromax on ebay for $60 and now just need a change bag...which I hope my local film shop will have in stock. My local camera shop just looked at me weirdly...I don't think they stock any film at all any more.
I have found several on amazon, but would like to support local shops if possible (and prices not outrageous).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hey, I also need a tripod. Doubt my skinny one will hold up.
Any recommendations? Bear in mind that I want to take it hiking,

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I really like this one too.

Has anyone tried the SP-445?
https://shop.stearmanpress.com/collections/photography/products/flight-pack-sp-445-film-and-chemistry

This seems like a good deal for experimenting...

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'll add it to the list!

In other news, my Intrepid Mk4 finally shipped. Hopefully I'll have more luck with than people here :).
I also got a change bag yesterday and it was obviously too small. (23"x23"). Found a Harrison Pup Changing tent on Ebay and bought that instead.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

That's pretty epic!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Google Butt posted:

Is there a consensus "cheapest large format camera worth buying", or is the link in the op still pretty accurate?

So, I've gone against the advice of consensus and ordered an Intrepid Mk4*....however, there's still a significant amount of stuff you need to buy beyond that:

- Lens (doh!
- Cable release
- Film holders
- Changing bag/tent (or darkroom)
- Tripod sufficiently strong.
- Loupe (for checking focus)
- film!

While none of it is outright expensive, it still quickly adds up.
Then you may want to develop your own film, add filters, etc and before you know it, it's another $1000+.

*And the thread might be right about Intrepid. I haven't even received the camera yet and they're barely replying to my emails. It is supposedly shipped, though!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Where did you get your Charmonix from and how long did it take for them to ship it?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Erhh, how do you guys drop of your film to be processed? In the film holders or do you unload them first?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'm still waiting for my Intrepid. Tracking number never got tracked and I agreed to give them a reasonable amount of time. That time is now up, so they either have to courier a new one over or give me a refund.
I know the thread warned me, but they are really badly organized.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah. this is more like a early kickstarter company, than one who has already done several revisions, etc.

Similarly, I asked for a lens holder to get added to my order, but that wasn't possible and I had to order it and get it shipped separately. (That *has* turned up, but it still took them 2 weeks to actually ship it).

I know, you told me so...I still want the camera, though!.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

alkanphel posted:

You better hope your Intrepid has no problems when you get it, otherwise you'll be doing this all over again.

Any problems and it's a refund. I was this close to pulling it when they shipped it. I have everything else ready. (Ok, so still need an spare box/envelope for exposed film).
They didn't reply to my email today, so if there's no reply tomorrow, then I'll start a paypal dispute.

I mostly looked at Ben Horne and Alex Burke. Not sure if they're typical youtubers, but at least they seem to have 'other' photography experience.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Well, it actually appears to be waiting for me at the post office!.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Finally got my Intrepid Mk4.
Plywood & Alu parts are nice, but the knob for mounting the front standard and the focus knob was just lying loose in the box and not on their bolts....and one of the clips holding the ground glass came off the moment I put in a film holder, sending both the ground glass and the film holder flying. Luckily I was on a thick area rug and not on the concrete floor!. Easy fix, but could have been costly. Their QC definitely could be better.

However...I'm still pretty happy. It's fairly light, easy to use and I wont have to worry (too much) about it getting knocked about. Now that I have all the accessories, it wont seem as costly, should I grab a Charmonix later on.

Also, thanks to whoever it was who recommended the Macromax loupe. It works awesome.

Gonna spend the evening going through the motions and then I should have time get out to a 'test spot' tomorrow after work.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Well, it works!

Fujinon 150mm, FP4. 2 x f11 @ 4 secs and f16ish @ 8 seconds. I realized my counting was all over the place so I'm amazed they came out as consistent as this.

(Scan of a contact sheet...didn't want to spend money of paying for scanning just yet).

I was running out of light and getting eaten by mosquitoes, so I rushed more than I would have liked and this was mostly to check if everything worked.

Lessons learned:
- A towel is useless as a dark cloth..lets in way too much light and I had a hard time composing. (And/or the ground glass from intrepid is not very bright). A real dark cloth will be ordered
- Tripod mount came loose, hence the varying compositiion. It was finger tight, which was not enough.
- bring bug repellent!. This place is normally fine if you keep moving.
- Use a real timer!.
- Buy a scanner!

Super stoked..was half expecting to get super under exposed grey mush back.
$36 CAD for 4 films + contact sheet.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I converted my changing bag into a dark cloth and still find the ground glass very dark...granted this was indoors, but I was struggling to compose. (Yes, wide open).

I guess that not all ground glass is made equal?

Also looking for viewfinder apps (Android). Currently using Magic Camera Viewfinder (free). Any other worth using?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I just ordered it, but I'm also just fumbling my way through this :D

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ansel autisms posted:

yo seriously if you want "affordable" just don't shoot 4x5. don't waste your time shooting garbage film like foma, even for testing

I don't know. You get it for like a song with that kit and I see it as a perfect opportunity to experiment, especially with movements.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

MrBlandAverage posted:

I'm not sure how you could read any of the posts about Intrepid's cameras in here and think this is a good idea.

I think my camera is fine for the price. Just don't expect them to deliver on time or be able to communicate about it :D

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I bought a cheap one from ebay, seller stating that it had been stored incorrectly and smelled a 'little'.
In fact, it stank like something had died inside it. Rinsed it out in warm water and baking soda which took care of the smell and it was, if not as good as new, fully functional.
Only 4 sheets so far, but no signs of fogging.

Should get my SP-445 tomorrow and should have time in the weekend to test it out.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Got my Epson 4990 today and it works. One step at the time...

Then I went up to the mountains, got setup by a small lake I'd scouted a few weeks back and realized I'd forgotten my loupe!
Also ground glass on my Intrepid is really dark. Slight overcast, but I could barely see anything under the dark cloth.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Tested the SP-445. Seems easy enough? I mean, there's something on it and I haven't developed anything in 30 years. (Fixer still stinks..did that bring back memories!).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Eurgh, struggling with scanning. Strong blue cast that's hard to get rid of. (Use Vuescan).
Ektar 100

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 4, 2019

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

MrBlandAverage posted:

This is a common problem I've heard from users of Vuescan and the simplest solution is not to use Vuescan.

Lol, wtf. I figured a maintained software, with colour profiles, etc would be better than something from 2007, but no..
This is straight from the Epson Scan software

Wont give me raw, but at least I can still get a tiff. I spent like 2 hours trying to get Vuescan to behave reasonably well.
(Edit: It does offer16 bit tiff)

Also got some persistent marks on the scanner where the top film holder fits...will give it another clean in daytime...or use the bottom one.

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 4, 2019

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

One of us is missing something here - how would a scanner give you RAW when RAW formats are from digital camera sensors? I think all of us scan to large TIFF files. Make sure you adjust the histo in Epson scan utility so that you don't lose detail in dark and light areas, you can set black points and do RGB levels in PS after the scan.

Looks like I edited after your reply. Yeah, only saw 24bit scan as an option, but 48bit is there.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Blackhawk posted:

What aperture is that? Did you want the foreground to be out of focus? I'm going to develop a few shots I took last weekend sometime today that had some front standard movements to try to both foreground and distance in focus, hoping it worked out because it seemed like the amount of front tilt I needed was almost zero.

F16 and no, that was a plain mistake from my side. I picked the most contrasty line I could find, which was the background mountain.
Still need to add a couple more 'steps' to my plan when setting these up.

Installed a fresnel lens today on my GG which makes a huge difference indoors.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

What do you guys use for negative storage?
I'm looking at something like this
https://www.printfile.com/negative-kit-4x5.aspx
Is there any better alternatives?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

First time testing Velvia100.

]

Since exposure was always going to be compromise, I'm actually fairly satisfied.

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 19, 2019

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I quite like the colours in this one.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This is a big dark hole...I'm now looking at getting a medium format camera, for faster/indoor photography. Who needs money anyway...

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

I have MF and a modern DSLR and nothing about the MF camera makes it faster, even shutter speed wise since you can't pump ISO and fast glass isn't as big a thing for MF. Get a MF camera because it's fun but it's a slower process.

Well, erhh, faster than my 4x5. I have no real interest to go back to digital. I really enjoy the process of film. ..but with the 4x5, I cant just take it with me for walk.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This is kinda neat:
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/2...NbQYEglaLYg_4Qc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqNEu4IKDLY

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Still waiting on the film holder for my scanner, but the first roll of 120 film came out ok, I think.
Quick scan on the bed of the scanner..will do properly once the film holder arrives!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Took both my Bronica and Intrepid to a kendo event. (Promotional exam).
Knew that the 4x5 would be hard, but it was worth the try.

4x5

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Out with the Bronica again. Delta 3200

Obligatory dog picture

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This one is quite good!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I have the SP445 and find it quite easy to use. It will occasionally drip a litte when agitating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013