Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

deaders posted:

I haven't contributed for a while expect to poo poo on the street thread so here are some photos

These two, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

McMadCow posted:

This is a shot from an 8x10 paper negative, darkroom printed to 16x20.

Lyola by Jason, on Flickr

What's the workflow like making a enlargement from a paper negative? Similar to a film-negative?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

McMadCow posted:

Similar, but it's a much longer exposure. The paper neg goes into the negative carrier on the enlarger emulsion down, just like a cellulose negative. Obviously paper is opaque, so the amount of light that makes it through to the easel is pretty minimal, but it does get there. The paper neg itself tends to be super contrasty, then the enlarger shooting through solid paper turns it all very flat. So you need to use a high contrast filter to get good results. Obviously all the contrast manipulation results in a lot of changes to the quality of the image, but that's the point. There's absolutely no silver grain at all, obviously, but there's some granularity from the paper itself that makes its way to the image.

Basically just shoot some 4x5 paper negatives and experiment with them on an enlarger. You'll be surprised at the quality that is possible.

Sounds fun. I'll have to try it next time I'm in the darkroom. I've played around a little bit with photograms and contact-printing paper prints but never enlargements.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Sludge Tank posted:

I've had the photographic version of erectile dysfunction all year so I've been shooting some 120 pinholes to try and motivate myself

What kind of film is that? 120?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Any good tips for using a Speed Graphic?

I borrowed one from a friend and I'm taking it out to shoot some landscapes. So I don't think I'll be using the rear shutter.

My first ever large format-shots and I'm stoked, to put it mildly.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

double think whether you want your darkslide in or out before you do anything!

make sure you pull the front standard out to the appropriate track stop (for that lens, if multiple).

work the shutter a few times before you remove the darkslide and take your final exposure, it helps older shutters that are gummy to run reliably at full speeds.

if it's a non-original lens you may need to trip the lens shutter from something other than the main body release. If so, consider your hand position as you fire. Don't cover the lens.

do not move any unknown shutter to its top speed when it's cocked. Always reinsert darkslide (if necessary), dry fire, and then move to the top speed. The top shutter setting often engages a special top speed spring that strains some older shutters to spin to when it's cocked. If your shutter is new enough it'll probably have a modern datable 70s+ shutter, don't do it on your friend's retro graphlex shutter or random old-looking compur.

wait till you pull giant negatives out of the tank/envelope. mf/lf film reveal moment is always amazing.

Will you be using rangefinder or rear glass focusing?

This was all good advice, thanks.
I used rear focusing and it looks like the focus turned out pretty good.

I just developed them this morning and yes they look amazing. I'm already thinking I need to get my own 4x5.

e: What's the most economical development setup? I used a Jobo-tank with 4x5-reels this time, and it uses 1500ml for 6 sheets, which is pretty steep IMO.

Pondex fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 4, 2020

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

MrBlandAverage posted:

Jobo tanks and rotation instead of inversion.

Yeah, I figured you could do something like that manually. A school I used to teach at had an ancient Jobo-machine that worked like that. Probably the last of its kind in northern europe.
How do you do agitation. Just roll it continually?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

MrBlandAverage posted:

Jobo still makes the machines - http://www.jobo-usa.com/jobo-analog-products/jobo-cpp3-processor

For manual rotation, yes, you'd be rolling it continually on a roller base like this:

The arms that hold the wheels pop out for different positions for different size tanks (it's set up for 3xxx Expert tanks in the picture). On that note, I was never able to completely avoid development artifacts with the Jobo 2509n reels, with or without the paddles. I switched to using a 3010 tank for 4x5 and I've never been happier.

What kind of artifacts are those? I used the 2509n-model (I think) and I had a bit of scratching on one sheet.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

theHUNGERian posted:

:ohdear:: Can I ask a gear question here?

I have been curious about MF ever since opening this thread for the first time. What kinds of questions should I be asking myself to determine what MF system I might enjoy as a second camera (primary camera is a digital FF, I use manual focus 90+% of the time, and I frequently spend many minutes on just one subject)? Alternatively, since I already have one compatible lens, would a Hasselblad 500 be a decent choice for walking around and landscape shooting?

If the Hassy 500 is a decent choice, all I need is a camera body, a film back, film, a finder, and a lens, right? Any reason to pick the CW over the CX or the CM?

Almost any MF-camera is going to be manual focus and a slower workflow. But it sounds like that suits your temperament.

If you can afford a Hasselblad it's an amazing camera. My 500CM is probably my favorite camera that I own.

You should consider how much money you'll want to spend upgrading down the road. Everything Hasselblad is more expensive. Something like a Pentacon Six is going to be much cheaper to get new lenses for. It's kind of bulky and heavy compared to the Hasselblad though (as most MF-slrs are).

Also, consider what format you like. 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 etc.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

What's reasonable to pay for a Toyo 4x5 Field with Schneider-kreuznach 110 & 66mm, both f5.6, plus a few film-backs?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

beergod posted:

Picking up a 500cm tomorrow. Very excited. Who has One Weird Trick?

If you take the lens off and trigger the shutter on the body, the lens can lock up when you put it back on the body. The lens and body need to both be cocked or uncocked when you put them together AFAIK. Not catastrophic, but it's annoying to get fixed.
That's really the only fussy thing I know about that camera.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Are the Hasselblad "C"-lenses annoying to use? The ones with the coupled speed/aperature?

I imagine it would be fussier than the CF where you can lock the two rings together if you want. But they're also cheaper than CF-lenses.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

TomR posted:

Does this count? I got a big lens and made a big camera. It's a 600mm f/9

Camera Test20220619-3 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Holy poo poo.
How do you figure the details out about coverage/depth of field etc.? I have a few projection lenses (300/400mm IIRC) that I haven't figured out how to do anything with yet.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

That's very nice. Kind of cinematic.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Is it worth picking up a cheap Pentax Spotmeter (model IV) for medium format? I got one on my local craigslist.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Yeah, same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Is the Hasselblad Makro-Planar 120/f4 CF lens any good for portraits?