Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

The top one was a cool picture the first time you posted it 5 posts back.

Edit: In quoted thumbnail form it looks like an ATAT walker, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

iSheep posted:

"Medium" Format.

I really like this dude. The 3D like quality and the way the light is coming in from the right (her right) making the eye pop is just stunning to me. I could do without the digital clock in the background, but this image really makes me want a "medium" format camera for portraits of my kids.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

elgarbo posted:

set it as a long term goal.

I'm shooting for 3 to 5 years for entry to medium format. I didn't really start taking photography seriously until about 6 months ago and just entered the realm of 35mm film a couple months ago. I've been taking pics for a decade, but it's always been snapshots without really thinking. I'm hoping with that time frame I'll have a good foundation in developing my own film, scanning negatives, and just photography in general, but i doubt it.

The only thing that concerns me is reading stuff on other photography forums that film is going to completely dry up and I'll miss the opportunity to try medium format. Are these people full of poo poo?

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Karl Barks posted:

lol, no, but I'm curious how you could tell.

^^ really amazing stuff deaders

Letters on the sign are backwards. 😀

That's a really great shot. Was he playing to the camera or did you catch him like that?

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 16, 2016

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

I like the part where your username, avatar, and posted photograph work together. :dance:

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Does a Bronica etrsi 645 with AEII finder, Zenzanon pe 75 and 150 lenses for 250 sound like a good deal to break into medium format?

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Awesome. Glad I asked before running out and getting it! It popped up on Craigslist and the guy seemed trustworthy. I'll hold off for a Pentax or the like to pop up here or local. Thanks dudes!

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Well, I hope I did good. I just bought a late model Pentax 67 with the later 105mm 2.8 for $650 bucks. I was really on the fence for a 67 or a C330, but lust finally won over. I will be broke after I buy some Portra 400 and black & white off Amazon, so I'll have to hold off on getting a light meter. Guess it's sunny 16 for awhile or lug around an extra camera. So worried It's gonna get here and be a pile of junk or need all kinds of work right off the bat:

Please feel free to flame my worries and call me a moran.

Edit: Apparently the big wooden dick handle is not cool?

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

VelociBacon posted:

You can get metering prisms for these, and you should.

I may get one down the road when the budget permits. Are they pretty accurate?

iSheep posted:

this works well enough with any free app you can find on your phone that supports it.

I didn't even know they made these!

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
I'm literally making GBS threads my pants right now! I just picked up a Mamiya C330 and all kinds of goodies with a blue dot 80mm for 125 bucks. I've only had the Pentax for like a week and have only put 1 roll through it when the deal popped up from a friend of a friend. I couldn't pass it up. Now I can suck at two medium format cameras!

Waiting on my developer/fixer to come in so I can develop the roll I put through the Pentax (finally trying to develop my own B&W,99% positive I will gently caress it up). First impressions are, "wow this is loving heavy", and, "wow this is loving huge". I'm not a fan of the mesh? circle prism deal for focusing (I don't know what it's called), but i can get used to it. I'm kind of shocked it doesn't have the split prism type focusing my Nikon cameras have. I Also broke down and picked up a Sekonic L-308 light meter. I tried out some of the light meter apps on my phone after you guys suggested them, but my phone is an old Note 3 that sucks poo poo and it wasn't working very well. :(

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 18, 2017

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

elgarbo posted:

I expect to see some radbad photos ASAP.

I do too.

Wild EEPROM posted:

It's hard to truly gently caress up developing black and white.

It's easy to recover from your mistakes.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :)

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
My first roll of 120 and first time developing film turned out successful I think. I am really happy with the results for my first go around. I wish I would have took the dive years ago! All of the images except for 3 were family stuff, but my wife and I are working on some boudoir type images that I would love some feedback on. This is my first time trying to pose anyone, so I would be super appreciative of your opinions. Obviously these are NSFW.

I was also curious why there was so much grain on these. I like the way they look, but seemed super grainy. Is that just the result of the Ultrafine Extreme 400 cheap film?

NSFW NSFW NSFW NSFW NSFW NSFW
[url=]pic 1[/url]

[url=]pic 2[/url]

[url=]pic 3[/url]
NSFW NSFW NSFW NSFW NSFW NSFW

Edit:I changed my mind about having those public. :(

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 23, 2017

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

MrBlandAverage posted:

It's also quite possible your developer/agitation scheme is responsible for some of the grain too. More/stronger agitation and higher development temperatures can definitely make grain more pronounced.

Wow that's good to know. Looking at my notes, I did 11:50 in ddx with 60 second initial agitation and then 5 second flips every 30 seconds. I didn't know that agitation would introduce more grain; I was under the impression it would just make it more contrasty. I have a couple more rolls to develop, so with knowing this, I think I will play with the agitation intervals a bit.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

MrBlandAverage posted:

What temperature?

Thermo said 69F just before putting it in the tank.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Haha..A potato cut into the shape of a fender Stratocaster..

I'm scanning with an Epson v500 I picked up awhile back on the cheap.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Sludge Tank posted:

Nws: http://i67.tinypic.com/53wt8x.jpg

32 sec exposure @ f5.6, window light. 13 secs dev

Kinda wish i halved exposure and developed longer for more contrast but we didnt have time and it's a nice start for something new to me

The wet plate stuff is really amazing to me and someday I plan on wasting money in that area. Very, very cool dude.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

akadajet posted:

i love my pentax 67

I'm so glad I got one and wish I would have a long time ago. I'm getting some great portraits of my family and I enjoy taking pictures with it so much more than any of my other film/digital cameras. I can't say it's improved my photography at all, but the slower process in taking images and developing my own film is great. Instead of 8000 garbage images to sift through, I only have 10 to 20 poo poo negatives.

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 28, 2017

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
I'm curious as to what you guys are using to lug around your medium format gear in. I'm probably being stupid, but I have a trip to Hawaii coming up in May and feel like I would enjoy having the 67 with me while there. I have a stop in Anaheim to take the kids to Disneyland on the way, so I would need to haul the XT-1 for candid moments, but wonder if I'm being silly trying to carry all that on a plane. I also have a bike trip to Washington/Oregon/Cali in July and would love to have the 67 or the Mamiya with me, but again I have no idea how to transport it securely since they are so big.

I'm seriously in love with these cameras and the process of developing my own film. They are so much fun to shoot! I've burned through 12 rolls of film in like 2 weeks! :cool:

Zag

Somewhere in Ohio....

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 1, 2017

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Right on. I have a 30L Lowepro hiking backpack, but the camera area just isn't working for the 67 and the XT1 together. The Naneu looks similar to the Tamarack Expedition I used to have. It was a great bag, but man was it huge and cumbersome when flying.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Inniswood

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

8th-snype posted:

You should move to Hawaii. Two reasons, it's much farther from where I live and your pictures of there don't suck as much as your other ones

They suck equally, possibly even more, don't kid yourself. I wouldn't be able to stalk you if I moved away either.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

8th-snype posted:

You don't live near me, it's just that Hawaii is farther away. Yes I keep a google map of noted bad posters and their relative locations to my posting throne, what of it?

That list must be huge.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Can someone recommend a good cable release for the 67? I want to try some long exposure shots. I'm guessing any threaded release will work, but was curious what you guys are using.

Probably a long shot, but are there any "remote" options available?

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

ansel autisms posted:

hit mirror lockup, turn the dial into the space between X and 1000, and fire with your hand. this holds the shutter open until you move the dial back onto an actual speed. if you're worried about shake, put your hand in front of the lens before you fire the shutter

Thanks, I'll give this a whirl for the time being.

Helen Highwater posted:

You can also get friction releases that screw into the shutter button. I have an old Russian one where you tighten or loosen it to get a longer or shorter timer, then it fires the camera once the spring is released.

If you're comfortable around a soldering iron, there's also this DIY wireless mechanical release project

A timed release is exactly what I'm looking for. My wife is complaining that I'm not in any pictures. What would I search for to get one of those Russian cables?

akadajet posted:

I use a generic cable release from amazon and it works great.

I may pick one of these up if I can't find some sort of remote or timed release.

I enjoy using the 67 so much that it is my go to camera now. I have giant banana hands and am built like a gorilla, so it feels right to me. I just got back from a 7000+ mile motorcycle trip to Montana/Washington/Oregon/California and used it the whole time. My dad called me an idiot for carrying such a beast, but I just love the thing. The Mamiya C330 comes in second, with my xt1 a close 3rd. I'd really like to try a Hasselblad someday!

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Helen Highwater posted:

It's not a cable, it looks like this.

You turn the knob at the top to adjust the tension, screw it into the shutter release and then push the spring-loaded button out of the locked position. After a few seconds (0 to ~25s) it releases and pushes a spike into the shutter release. The text on the case says 'avtospusk' which is just Russian for self-timer. If you search eBay for 'mechanical self-timer' there are a bunch of similar ones.

poo poo yeah dude, this is exactly what I'm looking for. All kinds of options on eBay. Thanks for info!

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
I'm always really impressed by the photos posted in this thread, but Sludge, your stuff is loving outstanding. The wet plate stuff is really cool man.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Sinclair