Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Does this count? I got a big lens and made a big camera. It's a 600mm f/9

Camera Test20220619-3 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I did some math, and then checked it by putting the lens in a cardboard sheet blocking my bathroom window. It projected an image of my back yard onto a 48" roll of paper I hung up as a backdrop. I just moved things around and measured until I had a good idea of what to build.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
The rear is 44" x 44" with the image area being 42" x 42". Right now I have a frame with a sheet of hardboard I painted flat white that I'm projecting an image onto and I'm just taking a photo of the image with my DSLR. The lens covers the full 42" square at that focal distance, but less at infinity. The plan is to refine everything and do alternative processes and experiments once I get the camera in a state I can take it places and set it up without it looking like a pile of garbage. I can hang up photo paper, do multiple parts at once and make a one shot photo collage or eventually I'd like to do some wet plate stuff. I'm still working out the kinks though.

I made the whole camera myself. It's been a fun project so far.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Lots of interesting things are opening up with the availability of laser cut wood and 3D printers. I didn't use anything like that but it would have made some parts a lot easier. My focus mechanism is parts meant for a 3D printer though so I did benefit in some way. :v:
I can't take credit for the bellows though. I bought that off ebay years ago. It's meant for an 8x10 camera.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I made a sort of bag bellows to go from the front half of the camera to the rear half of the camera. Seems to work well so far. It has velcro on it, but I haven't put the other side on the cardboard yet so it's just gaff taped right now.

Edit: Have a test shot.

Camera Test-1 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

TomR fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 27, 2022

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I made a frame to hold all of the camera parts. It's much easier to setup and position now. The digital camera stays fixed in relation to the projection screen so I don't have to refocus it as often. It's a lot less of a pain in the rear end to use this way. Still a few things I would like to add and tweak. I'm considering putting wheels on the frame so I can roll it into position. Maybe I'll put a tripod plate on the bottom of the front and back and have it up on two tripods.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I got my big camera out and used it today. Good times.

Tree-20230510-1 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I made a new box camera that can focus to infinity more easily than the other camera I made. This is 2 seconds 600mm at f/64, the paper is 600mm wide.

BigCamera-20230921-3 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
8 seconds at f/180, but with massive light leak

Light Leak-20230921-1 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

BigCamera-20230922-1 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I managed to mostly take care of the light leaks.

BigCamera-20230923-3 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Neat.