Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

How do you guys go lugging around all the gear for those big LF landscapes? It'd all be quite heavy and awkward wouldn't it? How do you guys go with the expense too, LF film would cost (relatively) a shitton right?

My 4x5 weighs less than and is about the same size as my 6x7 gear. Only 8x10 is heavy and awkward for me, and even then that's because my 8x10 is a metal monorail instead of a folding wooden and CF field camera like my 4x5. As for film costs, I end up spending only slightly more than when I shot only 6x7, because I only take the $6 photos I know will be decent, rather than taking lots of $1 photos that may or may not turn out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

BANME.sh posted:

I am curious, how much do you typically reframe a shot before you press the shutter? Like you said with 35mm and even MF I'll usually see something interesting, take a shot, and then go "poo poo, I better try that from another angle." So I end up taking 3-4 of the same subject and picking my favorite in the end.

I never take my camera out of the bag without being reasonably sure of how I'm going to compose the photo.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

The Right Place by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 18, 2016

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Biosphere by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ansel autisms posted:

Building or art?

Why not both??

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Karl Barks posted:

yikes, thanks.

btw, they moved the bb code share link under the arrow when you hover over the picture.

or just right click -> copy image location

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

A B Chinese Restaurant by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

House of Chen by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Personally Your's by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I recommend you skip straight to LF, inevitably get frustrated, then come back here and post about it so we can say we told you so :smugdog:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I mean you could just say what you are trying too like El Garbo and not be an rear end in a top hat? It's not difficult.

What makes you so ready to believe you're being attacked?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Actually, there is a lens that will get you 10mm equivalent FOV on 8x10: the Goerz Hypergon 75mm. Don't let naysayers like ansel autisms tell you it's not possible!!

Oh, by the way, even that beat-up example is $3500 and there's no shutter.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ansel autisms posted:

Pinhole + hat shutter

Unironically a cheaper option for superwide on 4x5 - here's 25mm on 4x5 (~6mm equivalent), and it can be yours for $131:

Ready for Trouble... (4x5 Pinhole Photograph) by Scott Speck, on Flickr

Chandelier at SmokeStack Studio (4x5 Pinhole Photograph) by Scott Speck, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Eugene Lock & Safe Co. by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Albany Lock & Key by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

King Kone by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Bob's OK Tire Store by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Bob's OK Tire Store by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

The XKCD Larper posted:

Good stuff from Ansel Autism and MrBlandAverage too btw... love those long exposures

Thanks!

The XKCD Larper posted:

I should probably donate it to them since I scammed them out of a 4x5 lens in 2011.

There's a story here and I want to hear it.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

An Apparition of the Colonel by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Fox in Snow, Salem, Oregon by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 12, 2016

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

spongepuppy posted:

Just bought a fuji gx680ii with lens, rollfilm holder, aa battery holder and 135mm 5.6 lens for ¥19,000!

The camera store guy said it was in really bad condition, but other than being a bit grubby and worn everything seems to work. Any tips on problems to look out for?

Bellows issues?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Cyne posted:

There was some Pentax 67 chat last page so I hope you guys might be able to set me straight on my new 6x7 - it's been a dream camera of mine for awhile but I just got mine yesterday and I'm afraid I'm loving poo poo up already. :(

Here's where I'm at right now:

The film's loaded, the frame counter is at 1, and the wind lever in that position is very tense, so it seems like the shutter should be cocked, but... it's not firing. Everything is properly set for 120 film, I popped a fresh battery in when I got it yesterday and can see that the TTL viewfinder is working fine. The camera is in amazing condition so I don't think it's a mechanical / electrical issue, I'm guessing I just screwed up the film loading somehow. What's my best bet here? Will I be able to just wind the rest of the roll through if I open the back at this point?

Thanks guys!

Can you open the back and show us what it looks like? I agree that at this point you'll be losing the first few shots on the roll no matter what. I'm wondering if maybe you loaded the film backwards?

If the lever is at that point, it's not fully wound yet. When the first frame is ready to shoot the lever should be in its resting position.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Breadnought posted:

My first 4x5, I never want to shoot small formats again :love:

What camera/lenses did you use/get?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Focus on your mental wellbeing and you'll be better prepared to come back strong when you're ready. Sometimes I go a month or two without really taking pictures and it doesn't even require trauma - but when I start again, I feel fresh and the results are always good.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Arashiyama Monkey Park by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

underage at the vape shop posted:

I like this, do you know the dude or was it a random also visiting the park?

A random, like these people:

Yellow Pumpkin, Yayoi Kusama by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Tenryu-ji by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Miyajima by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Breakwater by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

srf? sr9?