Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Pondex posted:

Yeah, I figured you could do something like that manually. A school I used to teach at had an ancient Jobo-machine that worked like that. Probably the last of its kind in northern europe.
How do you do agitation. Just roll it continually?

Jobo still makes the machines - http://www.jobo-usa.com/jobo-analog-products/jobo-cpp3-processor

For manual rotation, yes, you'd be rolling it continually on a roller base like this:

The arms that hold the wheels pop out for different positions for different size tanks (it's set up for 3xxx Expert tanks in the picture). On that note, I was never able to completely avoid development artifacts with the Jobo 2509n reels, with or without the paddles. I switched to using a 3010 tank for 4x5 and I've never been happier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Pondex posted:

What kind of artifacts are those? I used the 2509n-model (I think) and I had a bit of scratching on one sheet.

I don't have any examples handy, but I'd sometimes get surge/flow marks on the edges. Usually only visible if there were large areas with even tones, but enough to dissuade me from continuing to use the 2509n.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Helen Highwater posted:

Do you mean the tank is not full, but the sheets continually dip into and rotate through a pool of chemistry at the bottom?

How does that affect development times if so?

Yes, that's roughly it. Development times decrease (for me, using motorized rotation, about 15%) because of the constant agitation.

Here's what it looks like with an Expert drum that has cylinders for each sheet or two sheets - the cylinders are all connected. https://youtu.be/ZCUSWwse1M4

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
What's your longest lens right now? I love my Nikkor-M 300mm f/9. It's the longest lens in Copal 1 my Chamonix 045N-2 will focus at inside-the-room focus distances, and weighs only 270g.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I've had my Chamonix for 8 years and taken thousands of photos with it and the only thing I've had to do is adjust the screws on the front standard tilt detents. It's been blown over twice and it's totally fine.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

King of Bees posted:

Just got a "Schneider 135mm f5.6 235mm f11 Symmar in Synchro-Compur shutter" and a 6.8 90mm from an auction and I'm ready to take the plunge. What's the best next steps? Not looking to go all out or on the cheap. Almost all of my shooting is MF these days so I'm excited to bump up for epicly lame but cool to me landscapes with 80 pounds of gear.

Here's what the 135 looks like.
https://oneofmanycameras.com/collec...d-december-2017

I'm here to learn from your terrible mistakes! Thank you!

Do you have a camera yet? What kind of photography do you do?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Just repeating that I still think my Intrepid was worth the money and weight saving, but they're a lovely company and any buyer should be aware of that.

Just curious: have you ever used a large format field camera that isn't an Intrepid?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

CodfishCartographer posted:

gently caress, the n2 is sold out :( Website says they'll be back in "4-6 months" but who knows when that was initially posted. I'll just have to keep my eyes on there I suppose. I'm not a huge fan of super wide-angle, and while I would like to take advantage of movements and such I dunno if I'd really need the flexibility provided by the 45F-2, I doubt I'd be able to take full advantage of it.

For what it's worth, you don't have to use the extra movements on the 45F-2, so it's really a matter of whether you want to spend $200 extra to have the camera sooner.

No, I have not and while I have no doubt that the Chamonix is much nicer to use, I don't think it would make my pictures any better.

Sure it would - I remember the shot you posted of the alleyway that had some real wacky tilt. Don't underestimate how much of a difference something really simple and basic like having zeroing marks/detents makes.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

King of Bees posted:

Looks like I need to save up some cash for when the chamonix comes back on line. So getting an old wista n or something for a couple hundred is not a good idea? There's tons of them from japan on ebay.

A Wista 45N is a perfectly decent choice, with some relatively minor limitations:
- Base tilt rather than axis tilt on the front standard means more tilt/focus/tilt/focus iterations - axis tilt like on the Chamonix means if you zero out rise/fall, changing tilt won't change the focus distance at the center of the frame
- No front swing or fall movements
- 5 pounds is heavier than most other field cameras
- 300mm maximum bellows draw means a 240mm lens is probably about the longest you can use and still focus at distances you'd use to photograph people

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I've used a 65mm on my Chamonix a number of times. Using the rearmost position for the front standard and with zeroed rise/fall, the bed appears in the frame in portrait orientation but not in landscape. The problem disappears if you use the second rearmost position for the front standard. Yes, you have to move the rear standard forward. You won't have much image circle for movements but the standard "universal" bellows won't be a problem in this regard.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 17, 2020

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

eggsovereasy posted:

You just kind of figure it out over time. I use the hole closest to the rear standard for my 90mm, second closest for my 135mm and the one furthest away for my 210mm. That said, I'm shooting at or near infinity all the time so I don't rack it out very far, so your YMMV.

Yep, this. IIRC the holes are 30mm apart, so they go 90/120/150/180/210 with the rear standard flush with the back of the bed. I like to keep the rear standard a few mm forward of that.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

theHUNGERian posted:

I have read favorable reviews of the Da Yi S-IIA which can shoot 6x12, 6x14, and 6x17. While not cheap, it is more affordable than the Fuji GX617. Suppose I wanted to use a 300 mm f/9 Nikkor-M with this camera, I understand that I would need a lens cone. But how would I focus? Do I also need a bellows or a helicoid? I am assuming I would have to make my own hyperfocal scale?

You buy what they call a "lens cone" for each lens, which puts the lens at the appropriate distance from the film and which appears to come with a helicoid.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Megabound posted:

Might be interesting to explore for really long exposures but I'm usually not down for waiting for 30 minutes for a 2 minute calculated.

This is why I use Acros for my pinhole photos! No reciprocity failure up to 2 minutes metered, 1/2 stop from there to 1000 seconds.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

theHUNGERian posted:

Hey MF crew,

A lens for my RZ67 Pro II is acting up, and while it is just a nuisance (not really a problem, since there is an easy hack) I am curious if this can be fixed.

When I install my 210 mm apo, at first everything is ok: The shutter is open as it should be, so I can see an image when looking through the viewfinder. I then put the camera on the passenger seat of my car and drive to my location. The camera is off during all this. Upon arriving, I notice that the shutter has closed randomly, meaning I can no longer see anything through the viewfinder (yes, the lens cap has been removed). My hack is to put the lens cap back on, set the camera to multiexposure, smallest aperture, shortest exposure, expose, and "advance" the film (which will only reset the mirror and cock the shutter). I am then ready to expose for real, and switch out of multiexposure when I get the frame.

How would I go about diagnosing this? It routinely happens on just this one lens.

How many times has this happened? Do you lock your shutter button between shots? I had something like this happen when I accidentally bumped the lens into T mode and hadn't locked the shutter button.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

theHUNGERian posted:

This has happened four times now, and each time a car trip was involved (on the cushioned passenger seat). I turn the camera off immediately after taking a shot, before advancing to the next frame. And the camera was off as I installed the lens (and the shutter was open) and it remained off during the trip to the location (where, upon arriving, I realized that the shutter had closed). There is literally no way I could accidentally put the lens into T mode as that would require two very precise knocks. Accidentally switching out of T mode? Sure, that could happen.

Unless the 210 APO has some extra mechanisms the other lenses don't - I don't have any direct experience of that specific lens - it's easier than you think to actuate the T switch. It doesn't take very much force at all to engage the T button lock; in my case it was a surface pressing against the switch just enough and then the lens moving. I don't know for sure that's what happened to you, but it's the kind of thing I can definitely imagine happening if the T switch is touching a car seat.

What does "off" mean? I'm asking which position the release button collar was in - it could be, per the manual, "normal operation" (white dot on collar aligned with white dot on collar stop lever) or "locked" (white dot on collar aligned with red dot on body) or "emergency shutter operation" (white dot on collar aligned with orange dot on body).

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Google Butt posted:

Has anyone used a 6x9 slide in roll film back with a chamonix n2? The thickness of the backs vary a little between manufacturers (thus moving the film plane?), and I'm not sure if it's enough to make a difference when focusing.

Found this little chart for reference:

Model Type / Formats / Depth
Cambo slide-in / 6x4.5 / 4.95mm
Cambo slide-in / 6x7, 6x9 / 4.95mm
Cambo slide-in / 6x12 / 4.95mm
Horseman clip-on / 6x7,6x9 / 4.95mm
Horseman clip-on / 6x12 / 4.95mm
Linhof S-Rollex clip-on / 6x7,6x9 / 4.85mm
Linhof Rapid Rollex slide-in / 6x7 / 4.85mm
Linhof Techno-Rollex clip-on / 6x12 / 4.85mm
Sinar Zoom slide-in / 6x4.5 to 6x12 / 4.85mm
Sinar standard slide-in / 6x7, 6x9 / 4.85mm
Toyo clip-on / 6x7,6x9 / 5.05mm
Wista clip-on / 6x7, 6x9 / 5.10mm
Wista Type DX / slide-in 6x7, 6x9 / 5.10mm

I have a Chamonix 045N-2 and both Horseman and Sinar Zoom backs and I have not noticed the 0.1mm difference in practical use. I don't use them for portrait distances as in Yond Cassius' calculation, FWIW. I'm guessing that you're not doing critical focus work with a Chamonix and rollfilm backs.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Google Butt posted:

Nah I'm not, just wasn't sure if it was something to consider. Any thoughts on those two backs?

I got the Sinar Zoom to do 6x12 and because I got a deal on it, but it's pretty fiddly. The Horseman I have is 6x7, and it's simple and dead reliable. The fact that you can't just slide it in discourages its use for some subjects, though.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Foma is a lesson in false economy.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Ethics_Gradient posted:

On the lens front, I picked up a Schneider Componon 180mm f/5.6 (5x7 enlarging lens) since it was available locally and not too expensive. I think mounting it is gonna be a challenge though - threads seem to be 58-59mm and weight of it may make an epoxy-based solution (was originally gonna epoxy a same-sized filter to a lens board to mount it) precarious.

Are you using a Packard shutter or just doing long exposures?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Google Butt posted:

Is anyone rocking a 75mm on 4x5? Curious how often you use it

I have a 65mm and it gets used about once every other year. My 90mm is far more useful.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

A Chamonix would be nice, but it wont take nicer pictures than the Intrepid anyway. It's probably quicker to set up, though, with better indexes.

A camera with zero markings/detents will make it much, much easier to avoid unintentional movements, which is the main way I've seen pictures with the Intrepid not be as nice.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Is an intrepid really any better than a crown or speed graphic? At least the graflex cameras have metal at all the important load-bearing points. Or are the new intrepids better than they used to be?

The problem with Graphics is that they're all a minimum of 49 years old, so in buying one you're either making a commitment to have to fix/replace wear items (e.g. bellows) or taking a gamble on their having been fixed/replaced already. Their movements are also significantly more limited than the Intrepid or Chamonix. Neither of these things are issues for everybody.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

luchadornado posted:

Any advice on a first lens? I've shot a lot at ~45deg field of view and I want something a little tighter to start. I'm guessing my options are 150 (42deg) or 210 (30deg).

A Nikkor 150 seems like a pretty sweet deal for ~$500. With some in-store credit, I can also pick up a Nikkor 210 for $200. How do the Nikkors compare to the Fujis?

They're mostly roughly equivalent except that the average age of the Nikkors is a little younger.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I have a Zero Image 4x5 75D. It's f/138 at 25mm, f/176 at 50mm, and f/216.5 at 75mm. I've used it almost exclusively at 75mm, which is already quite wide for 4x5.

These are all photos of gravestones, taken with the camera at 75mm about 12-18" away from the subject. I made a table of subject distance to field of view to help me compose.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

VelociBacon posted:

Legit that looks like a graveyard for people named Derrick?

More like Viktor, Roman, and Vladimir.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Google Butt posted:

You guys think the Chamonix reflex viewer is worth the $330? Never used a reflex before so I'm a little unsure about that.

No. If you decide otherwise, good luck with critical focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

big black turnout posted:

Can someone point me to a resource/explain to me how view camera/shutter/lens compatibility works?

Here's what I think I have: camera/shutter compatibility is based on basically whether or not a lens board exists/can be made that fits the camera and a certain type of shutter

Lens/camera compatibility is basically just image circle and bellows length

Lens/shutter compatibility is??? Sometimes it seems like these things come together but sometimes it seems like they're totally separate?

Sounds like you've mostly got it. Lenses are (were) made with a specific size shutter in mind, and the aperture scale printed on a shutter that came with a lens in it would be made for that lens. You can switch shutters between the same type (i.e. you could switch a lens in Copal #1 only to another Copal #1) but you would want to switch the aperture scale over to accurately reflect the lens that's now in the shutter, which is something a company like SK Grimes can do - or you can make a paper copy and tape it to the new shutter.