Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I've considered CAFing out the pole remnants on the left, we'll see.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

The XKCD Larper posted:

Good stuff from Ansel Autism and MrBlandAverage too btw... love those long exposures

Thanks dude

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Have you actually considered just shooting MF film? The barrier to entry is pretty low right now

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Why would your lab cut your 120 at all?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Sludge Tank posted:

That's cool. What's the story there?

It's on the Bonneville Speedway. I showed up (coincidentally) a day after races were held, saw a blip on the horizon, drove towards it, and found toilets a few minutes before the trucks came to haul them all away.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

^ Your frame edge is showing

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

A simple incident meter is a good buy - would have worked wonders in a scene like that. Not as accurate for every situation as a spot meter but once you know how to use one they're dope, I use mine for everything but distant night scenes.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

They're very different methods of metering.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gossen-Digisix-Light-Meter-MINT-/302069081610

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Benefits of the Digisix: you can slide the incident cover off and it becomes an incident meter, and it meters in insanely dark situations. My expensive Sekonic can't even go as low as the Digisix.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

EV -2 at ISO 400 which would be EV 0 at 100, which seems like a reasonable number

If you just pretend the meter is a well-exposed person in your scene, incident is the best

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Yeah, the incident meter is supposed to collect a combination of shadow/highlights that are hitting the dome like it's a face. Learning how to angle one thoughtfully is incredibly useful. Reflective metering is for chumps.

Even on a photo without a person I try to imagine there's someone standing in the scene and I hold the meter accordingly.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bellows lugosi fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 15, 2016

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

pentaxs.com

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Yond Cassius posted:

The space available in my fridge for actual food grows smaller and smaller. Somehow I'm not completely sure I mind.

How do you shoot your 8x10? I have 18 sheets of astia in my freezer but I'm terrified to shoot it. Box speed? Worried about bellows compensation?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Sometimes you just gotta set it aside for a while, it's not a skill that's gonna fade away fast because you're not actively working on it. Just take the time you need and come back to a camera when it calls to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLEXp0JFAcQ

bellows lugosi fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 1, 2016

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

^^ good hands, good garden

'dorkroom aesthetic' shot

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Pentax 67 handle sucks rear end, it'd be nice if they made one with a shutter release on it. "Shutter priority" is a lovely way to shoot.

Signed,
someone who's shot probably a thousand rolls on a pentax 67

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I know exactly what shutter speed and aperture I want to shoot at. That's why the camera has these convenient dials that let me enter the settings I desire!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I love adding steps to my photo workflow so I can have a big dick wooden handle to show people I'm a big grown up who's ready for Medium Format.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I've sanded down a bunch for a kodak duaflex and it works fine

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

what makes you want to go to 4x5?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

That was basically what I was thinking when I took it. It's a runoff detention area underneath a county office parking garage, so it is government contractor architecture.

I wasn't completely happy with the lab's color on this scan.

The stairwell picture I posted before was largely the same kind of concrete on the same day, but my own color correction produced a much bluer image on that one.

so do your own color instead of expecting your lab to do it right

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

fastbilly1 posted:

Broom Maker - Mamiya C330 - Porta 160

where did your blacks run off to

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

fastbilly1 posted:

Good question. It was magic hour and he was wearing blue on blue on blue and threading brown. Photo was not modified in Photoshop, just scanned and uploaded.

He was also the only person at the entire event that knew what a TLR was. We chatted for a bit because of it, he carried a Yashicaflex A for many years.

you should learn to use photoshop instead of trusting your scanner (or a lab) to do the work for you.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

a probing question: if you're not using the ground glass and all of the benefits it provides (accurate movements, for one): why bother with 4x5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003