Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

This is a LF camera:

LF is not as hard as you think.
Ask in the thread or read largeformatphotography.info.

This is a MF camera:

Because MF is larger than puny 35mm full frame, it counts too!

So go ahead and share your shots!

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Some LF photos:

Moonrise, Storage Tanks - After Adams by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

space by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

The Picture Wall by Jason, on Flickr

Stairwell, Pearl Centre by alkanphel, on Flickr

Untitled by Lucas DeShazer, on Flickr

Hollow Tree Road by alex gard, on Flickr

Some MF photos:

Tomales I by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Baw Baw by Tim James, on Flickr

Shenandoah by dren88, on Flickr

New Housing Development, Mandurah, July 2015 by Simon Deadman, on Flickr

Kirrawee by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

Untitled (Raytown) by Drew Davis, on Flickr

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 15, 2016

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

How do you guys go lugging around all the gear for those big LF landscapes? It'd all be quite heavy and awkward wouldn't it? How do you guys go with the expense too, LF film would cost (relatively) a shitton right?

If you have to do it, you have to do it, no matter the cost.
Also: http://www.alexburkephoto.com/blog/2013/08/27/backpacking-with-a-4x5-camera

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

Okay I'm very excited that there's a fresh new LF/MF thread because I just bought a near mint Pentax 67 and it's totally rad and good. (Although shooting the solely mechanical C330 made me forget about things like batteries - my first trip out to take pictures ended in much frustration with a dead battery.)

I played with a P67 once, I managed to short out all the batteries I put into the prism within seconds. That was pretty dumb of me.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

I am curious, how much do you typically reframe a shot before you press the shutter? Like you said with 35mm and even MF I'll usually see something interesting, take a shot, and then go "poo poo, I better try that from another angle." So I end up taking 3-4 of the same subject and picking my favorite in the end.

Yeah quoting the rest, usually you have the shot in your head 80% of the time even before you setup the LF camera. The remaining 20% is the fine-tuning in the ground glass after you set it up. Like you know how they say, with digital you'd probably shoot 10 shots, with MF film you take about 2-3 shots, with LF you just take that 1 shot.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

That sounds like the problem right there. You don't put the batteries into the prism.

Oh wait it's at the bottom of the body or something right? But actually it was the way I put the flat cell batteries together. I did it the right way after that.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

I dropped my Mamiya C330s face first into the sand on the beach the other day because I am a careless idiot.

That moment of clarity, as you see a still image of this thing hanging in the air. Then the moment of hope that it'll somehow land in a way that doesn't get a gently caress-ton of sand into every crevice. Finally, the many hours of regret and denial that follow when you see that it has landed lens first and the shutter, the rails, the finder, and every other possible nook is now guzzling sand.

It has been sent off to get cleaned. Let's see how this works out.

Hopefully it didn't fall into fine sand, otherwise that's gonna be a real pain in the rear end.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Im That One Guy posted:

I found this lever on my 6X7 that I can't seem to find on any of the manuals online. Is it maybe for using different film formats seeing how its next to the 120/220 switch?
There's a little spring loaded pin that keeps it to one side or the other.

You could have just spent 3 secs on Google: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/124503-pentax-67-little-switch-m-written-right-side.html

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

8th-snype posted:

I like the atmosphere here but it feels like it's lacking something. It's like the scene would be prime for a Crewdson style portrait.

Just add more mist, random floodlight, and surreal person standing in the middle.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Good pictures in here, guess I probably shouldn't have taken a huge absence from Dorkroom and thus passed up on my birthright to make the next MF/LF thread.

Yeah we missed your orange/red skin tones.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Helen Highwater posted:

This is true. I was doing headshots and group photos for my company's webpage today with my Kiev 88. Next door to our new office space is a photo studio and the two very nice girls from there were watching what we were doing and playing around with 5D3s and some nice L glass. I asked if they'd mind pushing the button for the group shots with me in them, and they thought it was just the neatest thing. I gave them a roll of film to play with and they gave me their phone numbers...

Also TLRs are huge chick magnets, as I've discovered.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

tau posted:

You MFers are making me miserable; I want that look and those colors, but I'll keep myself from doing something stupid for a little while longer until I get better with what I have now. Keep sharing, please. This is my new favorite photo thread.

Majority of the photos here are from LF tho :smugmrgw:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Yeah I hope I get mine soon...

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

somnambulist posted:

Help me out goons!

Wait for Fuji's much more affordable clone of the X1D. Should be announced at Photokina but I could be wrong. If you've ever played with a digital MF raw file, it's very different from the normal FF camera files, regardless of the megapixels. However you didn't exactly mention what you don't like about your current large prints?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

somnambulist posted:

In what way is it different? (MF raw compared to FF)

My current large prints are hung in a gallery and up close you start to see it break apart a bit. I printed something at 30x60 and it looked "ok" but I wish It had more detail.

Richer and more malleable files, better tonality. But if you want detail, that's really the domain of megapixels, so if the 5Dsr doesn't do it for you, you might want to rent a Hasselblad H6D with the 100mp back and see if that gives you what you want. Or look into stitching with the smaller megapixel backs.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

You might want to consider the Hasselblad multishot cameras as well: http://www.hasselblad.com/h5-system/h5d-multi-shot

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Manarola by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ritten by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

HookShot posted:

Those are some weird-rear end greens you got there.

That's the beauty/horror of Fuji Velvia 50.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Renon by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

beep-beep car is go posted:

And Alkanphel's but he doesn't let people not him bbcode share them (I didn't know you could do that.)

Hmm I didn't know that either but I think I have now changed the setting that would allow people to share my bbcode. Amusingly I ran into the same situation as you when compiling the OP of this thread.

Anyway yeah for color I shoot almost only slides, mostly Provia 100F but occasionally Velvia 50 in the past (and some rare Astia 100F).