Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

I think this is some sort of hvac thing, or maybe a brutalist trumpet? Either way, I don’t care cause it’s great, nice work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I have three TLRs sitting around in various states of disrepair and am trying to decide which one to get fixed:

Walzflex:
I've never shot with it, but it was gifted to me by someone who worked at the Tonight Show with Steve Allen in the 50's. Steve apparently gave these to everyone on the crew one year, so it's got a cool story! Focus knob is slow, but shutter and aperture seem to work. Needs new front leatherette.

Zeiss Ikoflex:
I've shot the most with this, and like the way it's photos look, but it's also probably got the murkiest viewfinder. Focus knob is pretty tight, and I think the shutter is starting to gum up.

Yashica 24:
I've never shot with this, because I thought it was 220 only for years. I noticed a 120 Film Alignment sticker the other day, and did some reading, turns out it works just fine for 120! It focuses well, but I can't get the shutter or aperture blades to move at all. Of the three, this has the fastest viewing lens (2.8, vs. 3.5 for the others). The taking lenses for all 3 cameras are basically the same. Needs new front leatherette. ergonomically it seems like this is probably the nicest to use, with the shutter and aperture windows on top.

Of the 3 which would you get repaired?

My gut tells me to get a quote for the Yashica, but it also has the most wrong with it....

frogbs fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 20, 2020

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Paul MaudDib posted:

If the Yashica has the Yashinon lenses, that's the nicest of the three cameras. Crank advance is also considered nicer than knob advance. It's also going to be the most likely to have someone with any experience working on it.

All three are fine choices though. The Yashica is probably the technically best camera, the Ikoflex is Zeiss, and the Walzflex has a cool story.

The Yashica does have Yashinon lenses! I think that’s the one I’ll try to get a quote for. Thanks!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Blackhawk posted:

6x12 crop of some 4x5 portra 400 from this morning, I was there late and missed the best light so it was getting a bit harsh and I should probably have shielded the lens a little better, but overall happy.

Awesome! How did you get it developed and scanned so fast, home development?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Posted this in the film thread, but thought I’d try here too:

I've found an enlarger on Ebay that's prettymuch exactly what i'm looking for at a reasonable price, but am a bit worried about shipping. Should I ask the seller if he's going to pack the condenser separately, or maybe wrap the lenses individually? Or are they robust enough that he can just leave everything together when shipping?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

birds posted:

Haven't shot photos in ages. Decided to break out the 500C/M for my trip to Maine.

This is great! Also, I swear to god this is almost the exact same shot as one from the opening sequence of Moonrise Kingdom.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

theHUNGERian posted:

Is the GX617 the most economical 6x17 camera (with interchangeable lenses) that can be taken seriously?

You could always go with one of the Holga 6x12 options to see if you like it for way, way less money. There's the 6x12 'Holga Pan': https://www.freestylephoto.biz/200120-Holga-120-Pan-Panoramic-Camera

People have also mounted their own lenses on the Holga Pan, so you could always try that: http://www.oddcameras.com/holgamods_612_pan.htm

And then there's the 'WPC' or 'Wide Pinhole Camera': https://www.amazon.com/Holga-Panoramic-Camera-Format-Black/dp/B07M937HNV

I have the WPC and was actually surprised with how sharp it is!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

theHUNGERian posted:

^
Very nice!

Sorry in advance if this question is silly/bad, but why do people like pinhole cameras that use 120 film? Doesn't diffraction completely ruin the resolution of the final negative? Seems to me like a terrible use for 120 film. In addition, what subject matters work well with pinhole cameras? I've looked at countless pictures and I don't get it so far, but perhaps I have been looking at the wrong images.

People shoot pinhole on 120 for the same reason they shoot anything on 120, more resolution! Just because the charactertics of the image/lens are soft, doesn't mean it's not an improvement to have more information from the larger negative.

Viginti Septem posted:

Does 120 count as MF here?

I think 120 counts as medium format everywhere?

MrBlandAverage posted:

These are all photos of gravestones, taken with the camera at 75mm about 12-18" away from the subject. I made a table of subject distance to field of view to help me compose.

These are amazing!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Ziggy Smalls posted:

I dont 6x4.5 counts though

Personally anything larger than 35mm = Medium Format. 6x4.5 is much larger than 35, so I think it's worthy of being 'medium'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

bobmarleysghost posted:

I was curious about when I bought my GW670 iii, in 2015 from KEH as a BGN condition, but it was honestly pristine except for a slightly bent strap eyelet.

It hasn’t needed any CLA at all and it’s been my main MF cam since then.
Can’t recommend it enough.

Same, bought a GW690III from the KEH outlet on eBay in 2018 and it’s been going strong ever since.