Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

That's my new favorite shot of yours. - those clouds are majestic as gently caress.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

My first film camera since digital was introduced was a GW690II and it broke my soul because it was so drastically different - the huge negatives didn't help that in any way. It took several months of consistently using a few different 35mm cameras with convenience features and a low cost of failure before I could "handle" MF/LF without it feeling like a chore. After improperly loading a few rolls of 120 and a few 4x5 sheets starting out, I was paralyzed by the potential of wasting more film.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 4, 2016

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I miss the *PING* of that camera, but I was never able to rock the aspect ratio as well as this.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I switched jobs and have been sick off and on so I haven't shot anything in quite some time, but I wanted to say the last few pages have had some good poo poo from all of you. Inspired me to get off my rear end and shoot something, anything, this weekend. I especially like these two:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

alkanphel posted:

Just look up photos taken by a P67 with the 105/2.4.

This isn't helping my GAS.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Are you guys always tripoding your Pentax 67s? I have been pleasantly surprised at how well the Mamiya 7 can be used as a hand-held.

On a related note, at what point is the vibration an issue for getting sharp shots (on the Pentax)? I've heard anywhere between 1/4-1/60 are exposure times to be wary of, but that seems to be with the longer lenses. How prevalent is it with say - the 45/75/105?

edit: specified for the P67. I've gotten great handheld shots at 80mm and 1/15 on the M7. The P67 has a lot more heavy stuff slapping around, even with MLU.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 31, 2016

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I like it! :eyepop:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Because giant negatives are awesome. 4x5s are also rather easy to build and tinker with yourself since you don't need to mess with winding mechanisms, shutters, etc.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I'm feeling the itch for an MF SLR, so I'm looking at either the Pentax or the Hasselblad. While I do have a fondness for square formats, 6x7 is probably my favorite aspect ratio. Has anyone shot extensively with both? How did they compare on usability and print quality?

I'd probably go with 50/80 on the Blad, and either 55/105 on the Pentax or maybe even the zoom.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 6, 2017

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

VelociBacon posted:

If you get the metered prism the Pentax is more convenient but still much heavier. Print quality is the same basically. You get 2 more shots per roll on the blad. The Pentax has electrical components and they're expensive if they fail.

Is the weight difference like "oh gently caress this is heavy I hate this"? Do the 67s tend to need repairs, and are they easy to find repairs for? Part of the reason I'm looking at a new MF camera is that I'm getting anxious that the RF on my Mamiya 7 will knock out of alignment or something else will break - and repairs don't seem to be super feasible (and rangefinder MFs in general just don't "feel" right to me).

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

That makes me want to get out of my funk and shoot more.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Rules as usual, but that might be the single most uninviting table I've ever seen.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I'm finally parting ways with my Mamiya 7 and using the funds to buy some guitar stuff, but most importantly, some large format stuff.

I've tried shooting LF with a Speed Graphic before and it was kind of underwhelming/irritating. Most of my shots will be landscape, and two of the most important things are quick setup and being able to handle a little bit of rain.

Something like a Travelwide would almost be perfect in a lot of ways: very fast setup, cheap, and I don't care as much if I get it wet but you can't find them and they're a little too janky/limited. Does anyone have an experience with Intrepid (or similar) and it's limitations? Otherwise I'm obviously looking at a Chamonix, probably a 45N-2. I'm just not sure I'd like to subject a nice camera like that to wind, dust, rain.

Also: what's up with the ebay stores that sell Chamonix? Just typical kind of "gray market" stuff?

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 18, 2022

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

The last time I used my Mamiya on a storm, I got bruises from 2" hail, so sometimes I actually do care more about just getting the shot with a larger negative than using movements and getting everything *just right*.

That being said, I'll probably end up with the Chamonix.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

bellows lugosi posted:

are you having trouble with enlargements? the difference in negative size is not nearly as impressive as, say, 35mm to 6x7.

Kind of, I'm a fan of panoramas in large sizes, like: https://www.alexburkephoto.com/artist-favorites?category=Panorama.

It's admittedly a challenge I'm doing to myself. I love film and focusing on ground glass. LF or even MF weather photography really isn't done (except for Alex Burke, linked above). My problem has always been that I only ever pack the MFs for weather because they're so much easier to use. If I really want to capture that scene of an EF-4 ripping through a canola field on LF - I have to force myself to pack LF everytime I go out, and love using it.

I totally get if none of this makes sense, but I've been thinking about this problem and refining what I'm looking to accomplish for probably 8-9 years now. I've gotten the MF shots and they haven't been enough (this is a rough draft of one I had handy on my phone):

I ended up getting a Chamonix after thinking about it for a few days, and hearing how people love using it. Time to just dive in.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 19, 2022

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Any advice on a first lens? I've shot a lot at ~45deg field of view and I want something a little tighter to start. I'm guessing my options are 150 (42deg) or 210 (30deg).

A Nikkor 150 seems like a pretty sweet deal for ~$500. With some in-store credit, I can also pick up a Nikkor 210 for $200. How do the Nikkors compare to the Fujis?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

That Stearman is exactly what I need - thanks!

Sludge Tank posted:

Just get the drat chamomix you'll only end up buying one later anyway

I already did. Now I just need to mull over which overpriced lens to buy from ebay. Prices have gotten crazy.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Sludge Tank posted:

Oneofusoneofusoneofus

I had a great affordable rodenstock 150mm 5.6 that I got a heap of use out of. Between that and a Schneider super angulon 90mm 5.6 (or the cheaper f8) that's a neat little landscape kit. Mind you that was like 8 years ago I've no idea what the markets like now

I bought my Mamiya 7 + 80mm for $1100 and just sold it for close to $3000 if that gives you any idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Sweet, decided on the Nikkor 210mm because it's local and pretty cheap :sickos: