Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

atomicthumbs posted:

I never take my camera out of the bag

Arting 101- creating value through scarcity.

Been doing more with my 8x10 paper neg project. At some point I hope to have a full compliment of prints from this series.
A at Home by Jason, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

I'll post this one here since all the fun bits are pointed away.
8x10 paper neg, enlarged to 16x20 and sepia toned.

M Turns Away by Jason, on Flickr

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

This one is technically :nws: even though all the fun bits are blurred. So here's a thumbnail.

Anne In San Francisco by Jason, on Flickr

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

8x10 paper neg, 16x20 silver gelatin print.

Ariel by Jason, on Flickr

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Hey Sludge, just for a slightly different perspective-
I went through a breakup over the summer, and my life for a while was pretty depressing. I spent a lot of time alone and indoors feeling lovely, with no energy to get out and do anything. The one exception I made was to force myself to keep going with my photography- in fact I even made it a point to schedule more sessions even though I was feeling lovely. The result is that in the second half of this year I've made some of my (I feel like) best work in the last couple of years, and it began only a couple of days after the split wen I was otherwise shut inside and depressed. The work I've done since that time in Mid-July has been chosen for several juried shows and publications.
Successes in another area of life can give you some excitement when something like a breakup throws a dark cloud over everything. Stay strong.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Ghosts by Jason, on Flickr

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Seems appropriate to put this here since I shot it with an 8x10. Slightly :nws: if you look closely.

Lauralee by Jason, on Flickr

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Father O'Blivion posted:

Trying out a yellow 8 and then some camera movements on the lf.

The Koni-Omega is pretty capable but a set of lenses are rarer than hen's teeth. A 6x7 negative enlargement, especially a crop, stomps all over a 35mm.

These are all really grey. Are they scans or prints?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

D in the Forest by Jason, on Flickr

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

When you're shooting people, don't forget to consider the angles you show bent limbs. Her leg is severely foreshortened/distorted because her bent knee is directly at camera.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

girl pants posted:

Does anybody here use really cheap toy medium format cameras (e.g. Holga, Diana)? What are the results like?

If you're good enough in the darkroom, you can take the negatives from a quality camera and make them look like they came from a Holga.
No matter how good you are in the darkroom, you CAN'T take the negatives from a Holga and make them look like they came from a quality camera.
That should be all you need to know to stay away from a Holga for life.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

This is a shot from an 8x10 paper negative, darkroom printed to 16x20.

Lyola by Jason, on Flickr

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Pondex posted:

What's the workflow like making a enlargement from a paper negative? Similar to a film-negative?

Similar, but it's a much longer exposure. The paper neg goes into the negative carrier on the enlarger emulsion down, just like a cellulose negative. Obviously paper is opaque, so the amount of light that makes it through to the easel is pretty minimal, but it does get there. The paper neg itself tends to be super contrasty, then the enlarger shooting through solid paper turns it all very flat. So you need to use a high contrast filter to get good results. Obviously all the contrast manipulation results in a lot of changes to the quality of the image, but that's the point. There's absolutely no silver grain at all, obviously, but there's some granularity from the paper itself that makes its way to the image.

Basically just shoot some 4x5 paper negatives and experiment with them on an enlarger. You'll be surprised at the quality that is possible.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

I've been doing more work with the big camera lately. Looking for that next bit of inspiration. Made this in the meantime.

Entryway by Jason, on Flickr

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

^^Thanks!

VelociBacon posted:

How much dodging/burning do you do in the processing of the film with that alt process? That looks great.

A lot, but probably not as much as you think. A big part of the process is retraining your brain to understand how different colors and contrast situations are going to read on the paper negative, because it's usually way different than cellulose film. And while the actual time on enlarger is often as much as 10 minutes, most of the broad strokes are already there in the negative if you've shot it right.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

I made a picture of a tree.

Tree by Jason, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Blackhawk posted:

Was that x-ray film? Just looking at the notch(?) on the left long edge.

Nope, it's darkroom paper. The notch thing is actually a leftover from the enlarger I use. It's a 5x7 enlarger modified to take 8x10. Something in the condenser leaves a blank space on the side.