Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm obsessed with Luca Tombolini's landscapes, but his prints are way out of my price range. Any suggestions for photographers that do similar large format stuff?

His stuff is seriously inspiring and is making me consider trying large format for the first time. My wallet is hosed.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Is there a consensus "cheapest large format camera worth buying", or is the link in the op still pretty accurate?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Gotcha, in that case LF is probably out of the equation until I get my Sony a7ii and lenses at least. Is MF marginally cheaper or significantly so?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

alkanphel posted:

Shouldn't you spend that A7ii money on the LF camera?
MF can be very cheap or expensive depending on the camera you get and its condition.
Which is exactly the same as LF. You can get a super cheap LF monorail camera for like a hundred bucks or so.

Fair point. I'll likely have about $1500 assuming I'm able to sell my full kit, I'll investigate those monorail cameras as well.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Sludge Tank posted:

buying new digital cameras is dumb imho unless youre a business and can claim it on tax. ditch the sony and buy a chamonix

Yeah it's been collecting dust for a long time, and I've also been using my x100f exclusively for a while now. I miss the reward of shooting film, and I think LF landscape photography in particular will give me the motivation I need to see some new places.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

That's good to know, I was just looking at ebay for one. I priced out a a development kit a few years back when I was looking into MF, but is there a LF specific accessory/development list/primer for that gear similar to the camera one in the op?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Earlier today I went over to ask one of my photography buddies at work if he had done any LF, he said no but he had done some MF back in the day and then asked me if I wanted any of the film he brought in to give away..

]

I think it's mostly useless, most of the stack on the right is duplicating film and the entire lot is dated from 1999-2005 (the porta is 2005). I'll take it as a sign either way though :hfive:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Love it. What film is that?

God drat someone needs to buy my Sony poo poo I need this in my life

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

a cyberpunk goose posted:

People said already but yeah portra 400 on a 4x5 view camera with a 210mm

Thanks.

Speaking of selling my Sony poo poo I'm almost rid of it. Still going back and forth between the n2 and f2, I'm primarily interested in landscapes, but I'm not sure how often I will actually do asymmetric movements.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Is there anyone in particular I can look at for good examples of what can be done with asymmetrical movements and landscapes?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Alright going to pull the trigger on the 45n2. Going to start looking for a fujinon 150 5.6 as well.

Any suggestions for a loupe? After some research it seems like some people use +4.00 or whatever drugstore reading glasses instead of a loupe which makes sense, frees up your hand. Is there any reason not to try that?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Pulled the trigger on the 45n-2!

Tripod question, I have an older Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod with a 496rc2 ballhead, will that be alright for the Chamonix? I don't know poo poo about tripods in regards to LF cameras.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Any suggestions for some affordable black and white 4x5 to practice with? Thinking about picking up the sp-445 kit with the solution and a 100 pack of foma 100, but I'm not familiar with it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

ansel autisms posted:

yo seriously if you want "affordable" just don't shoot 4x5. don't waste your time shooting garbage film like foma, even for testing

Yeah I looked at film prices after I posted that and it's all pretty much the same, thought there was a wider range. What are the non garbage bw films I should try out?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Been researching enlargers and I see intrepid is selling a kit to convert an lf camera. Does it look like it'll be a legit option?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Anyone use a jobo 2520 tank and the 2509n reel with manual rotation on one of the roller bases for 4x5? Wondering how that compares to the sp-445 in regards to ease of use and consistency since the cost is comparable.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Also scored this lot of 15 holders for $100, 6 basically new fidelity elites loaded with tmax 100, a mix of good condition fidelity deluxe, lisco, riteways and 2 wooden ones.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Just got my 045-n2 and god drat it's way nicer than I was expecting, top notch materials and construction, for real.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Spent the weekend blacking out my second bedroom using pond liner (14 mil) and it's danged dark. I saw some comment that said to load in tent rather than a darkroom because there's less chance of fogging, is that actually a concern? I suppose it comes down to how well you blacked out your room, but just want to make sure I'm not missing something as it seems like loading in a tent would suck rear end compared to a room.

By the way, stearman press released a new version of the film holder for the sp-445 https://shop.stearmanpress.com/blogs/news/and-the-film-holder-saga-continues-rev-4

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 20, 2019

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

How do you all feel about roll film backs? I like the idea for c41 since I can get color roll film developed for insanely cheap, but then again it'll just be a big medium format camera with movements. I suppose it would be a cheaper way to learn the camera.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 22, 2019

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Is there a good way to send out 4x5 negs to a lab for processing without the film box? I only have one box of film that I'm still working out of, but I'd like to send out a few shots now as a sample.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Blackhawk posted:

FP4+ with a 6-stop ND

Nice. How are you metering?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Sick

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Speaking of scanning, I got my ebay v700 last night. Are the better scanning holders worth it, or should I just pick up a used v850 holder?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Picked up some Fuji Super HR-U green sensitive medium speed x-ray film, any suggestions for a starting point with hc-110? I plan on giving it a go in my SP-445 and then stripping the emulsion for scanning.

Might just try tossing some sheets in when I do my next run of HP5+ 1+63/8:37 (21c water).

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 7, 2019

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I was using a phone app, but I wasn't really confident how well it was working for landscapes, ended up getting a one degree digital soligor on ebay for pretty cheap and I really like it. App seems fine for most other things.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 3, 2019

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I like the tree and your picture of it

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Has anyone used a 6x9 slide in roll film back with a chamonix n2? The thickness of the backs vary a little between manufacturers (thus moving the film plane?), and I'm not sure if it's enough to make a difference when focusing.

Found this little chart for reference:

Model Type / Formats / Depth
Cambo slide-in / 6x4.5 / 4.95mm
Cambo slide-in / 6x7, 6x9 / 4.95mm
Cambo slide-in / 6x12 / 4.95mm
Horseman clip-on / 6x7,6x9 / 4.95mm
Horseman clip-on / 6x12 / 4.95mm
Linhof S-Rollex clip-on / 6x7,6x9 / 4.85mm
Linhof Rapid Rollex slide-in / 6x7 / 4.85mm
Linhof Techno-Rollex clip-on / 6x12 / 4.85mm
Sinar Zoom slide-in / 6x4.5 to 6x12 / 4.85mm
Sinar standard slide-in / 6x7, 6x9 / 4.85mm
Toyo clip-on / 6x7,6x9 / 5.05mm
Wista clip-on / 6x7, 6x9 / 5.10mm
Wista Type DX / slide-in 6x7, 6x9 / 5.10mm

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

MrBlandAverage posted:

I have a Chamonix 045N-2 and both Horseman and Sinar Zoom backs and I have not noticed the 0.1mm difference in practical use. I don't use them for portrait distances as in Yond Cassius' calculation, FWIW. I'm guessing that you're not doing critical focus work with a Chamonix and rollfilm backs.

Nah I'm not, just wasn't sure if it was something to consider. Any thoughts on those two backs?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Gonna try doing this today, seems kinda fun and neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuDwwTMwr1I

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Speaking of Instax, does anyone have tips on metering for it? It's supposedly iso 800 but I imagine it's not that consistent

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Man I'm glad I learned shooting Instax using film holders is a thing. I took a long break due to covid and whatnot shortly after getting my Chamonix, and now I'm getting the reps to nail down the muscle memory and metering. Using an ND2 filter so that I can meter as I would with portra 400.

Can't wait for my lomograflok back to ship.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

my lomograflock ships next month and I'm excited about it

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Is anyone rocking a 75mm on 4x5? Curious how often you use it

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Another gear question, anyone using a real hiking/backpacking pack with an ICU for your 4x5 gear? Please post pics if so, looking for ideas

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

might i suggest aquiring two or more goats for travel instead

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

For those using Instax wide, what ND filter would you suggest I use if I want to most closely match how I'd meter for portra 400?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

eggsovereasy posted:

not really sure if this is what you mean, but instax is 800 iso so i guess a one stop nd filter?

Yeah that's what I meant. I was curious if anyone had any personal experience with it, I've seen some mixed info on the actual speed of Instax. I'll order a set and play around with it though, thanks

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Just got the shipping for my Lomograflock finally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

pro tip you gotta be careful where the tip goes! Gotta pull it out of the danger zone or else it might bind on the graflok sliders!

I'm using a Chamonix which has decent clearance. I did place an order to have this printed though:

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/85070-4x5-ground-glass-frame-for-use-with-a-lomography-i

Playing around with this indoors has made me kind of want to get a flash/strobe to play around with, what would be the cheapest strobe worth buying to add a stop or two of light? Currently using the Nikon NIKKOR-W 135mm f/5.6 on my 4x5