Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Does instagram still retain control of any image posted on instagram? That's one reason to not put anything serious on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

^^ wow

Attempting some scanning and color correction myself. Maybe slightly magenta?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Thoogsby posted:

Check your cropping in the top right

yikes, thanks.

btw, they moved the bb code share link under the arrow when you hover over the picture.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

if you got the money, learn on film, learn on large format. who cares. just take photos, imo. actually, maybe don't learn on large format.

film isn't going anywhere, the sales of film leveled off in like 2011~ if i remember correctly. Maybe if they made a sub-$1000 medium format digital, you'd see another drop in film sales. I don't think that will happen for a long time tho.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

This is a reflective meter right? I've been looking at using this specific one for some of my old rangefinders, but I don't know how important having an incident meter like the one cyberpunk goose posted is.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Karl Barks fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 25, 2016

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Awkward Davies posted:

What film/speed was this?

That would be Porta 400.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Did you mean to scan this with the film upside down?

lol, no, but I'm curious how you could tell.

^^ really amazing stuff deaders

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I mean... it was 100% intentional.

I got as close to him as I could without being obvious, he looked up and cocked his head right before I took the picture.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

*italian chef kissing fingers*

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

more like large format if you ask me, on account of how big that image is

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Karl Barks fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 30, 2016

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Karl Barks fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 1, 2016

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

last few posts are realllly good. did everyone go to japan?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Karl Barks fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 30, 2016

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

The rule is 1/focal length for 35mm. I assume you have to convert for medium and large format? So 80mm on a medium format camera would be sharp at 1/50-ish. If I'm shooting handheld I try do one shutter speed above that ratio, so 1/60 on a 50mm, etc. Can someone back me up on that?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you can't look at a scene and have some conceptual idea of what aperture you might like to shoot that scene at, maybe you aren't ready to shoot medium format yet. Full disclosure: it's a buck a frame, developed cost.

Also, if a half stop either way on the aperture would kill your ~creative control~, and you are unable to adapt to this with your technical expertise on how to work a camera: you need a shutter priority camera, and also to not be shooting medium format yet.

The P67 is not any more complex than a K1000. That's the 35mm comparison: it's a big K1000 that shoots 6x7 negatives, and that's a camera that literally every photo student has shot for the last 40 years. But not everyone is cracked up to shoot a K1000, even as simple as that is. Some people need program modes to do everything for them. But you're not going to fool anyone in this thread by pretending a K1000 is some complex monster. It's got a meter built in, that makes it easier than 95% of the medium format cameras on the market.

(double extra pro-tip: learn sunny-16 and you can predict the exposures you're going to take even without picking up a meter, and then you have a free second to tweak the shutter speed dial, because it's literally just "that's a shady area under a tree", "that's a beach", etc)

Again, I don't want to encourage anyone to not do medium format, it's easy, literally as easy as 35mm, that's the point here. Go ahead and buy The Big K1000 (tm), or a TLR, or whatever. "It's Easy Enough Your Conservative Dad Figured It Out 50 Years Ago". And he didn't even have the Internet to help.

great post

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

if you aren't hand holding your field camera, perhaps you aren't ready for it

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Karl Barks fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 26, 2017

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

couple more of these

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

thank you! yeah, there were 2 guys there drinking beer and watching for those little flags on wooden poles you see in the first set to pop up. seems like a nice lifestyle. we talked for a bit and they warned us where not to step. of course, I ended up putting one foot through the ice and had to bail.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

awesome sludge tank

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

looks a bit magenta/red imo

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Nm

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

CodfishCartographer posted:

A local store recently got in a CLA'd Yashica Mat 124, which also had a new mirror put in. I'm not sure on the price, but assuming it's not outrageous I'll probably pick it up. It'll be my first foray into medium format, anything I should know about or keep in mind going in?

I've had one for about 2 years, it's my main medium format camera and I've probably put over a hundred rolls through it. I'm biased, but I think they're really nice cameras and just as effective as the rolleiflexes people pay double or triple for. The fact it was just CLAd is even better.

They're really sharp, silent because of the copal shutter, and lightweight compared to other TLRs. The light meter has worked fine for me unless you're in difficult conditions, in which case knowledge of exposures is going to be more important than the light meter itself. I think it needs a converter for the battery, since they originally took mercury.