Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

rootdown posted:

edit: There we go, still learning this internet thing.

Is this on 800T?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Good stuff! I keep getting my mind blown by things that would irritate me if I saw them in my pictures, but when I see them in other people's pictures it's cool and good. In this case it's halation, a few years ago it was grain. Two years of film photography, both the consumption of others' work and doing it myself, has been far more educational for me than 10 years of digital photography.

Edit: I had time to think about why I like the two Berlin pictures so much. I lived in a small town in eastern Germany between 1988 and 2002. When the first Matrix movie came out, I just had to see it, but my local cinema carded people and I was a year too young to get in. The cinemas in Berlin were known to not card people, so I took the train to Berlin to watch the movie, and it obviously ruled. Unfortunately I had missed the last train for the day by ~5 minutes, and so I had to spend the night in Berlin all by myself (I was 15 I think). My departure train station (Zoo) had a reputation for drug addicts, so I stayed the hell away from it. Fortunately it was summer, and I knew the area relatively well from many daytime visits, so I just walked around all night. The two pictures look like an area where I most definitely would have gotten kidnapped.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 10, 2022

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Last frame on this subject, I promise.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

alkanphel posted:

I dig this one

Thanks!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Tell me about your 6x12 camera!

If you hate money, there is a guy who will convert old 6x6 folders into 6x12 cameras: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dirkfletcher/albums

Edit: I do not have one, but I have always lusted after a 6x12.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Not too bad for a roll that just would not get on the rail because my dark box was too humid and that fell on my filthy shower floor.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

^
Very nice!

Sorry in advance if this question is silly/bad, but why do people like pinhole cameras that use 120 film? Doesn't diffraction completely ruin the resolution of the final negative? Seems to me like a terrible use for 120 film. In addition, what subject matters work well with pinhole cameras? I've looked at countless pictures and I don't get it so far, but perhaps I have been looking at the wrong images.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

eggsovereasy posted:

the effects of diffraction are less evident in larger formats, i shoot f/22 on 4x5 most of the time, but try to avoid it on 35mm for example. i've only shot on a pinhole camera once or twice, just to do it, but if i were looking for a project or something i'd try to really lean into the flaws (softness, low contrast, subject movement from long exposure etc).

But the typical pinhole camera is somewhere around f/160.

Anyway, if anyone has awesome pinhole camera pics to share, please do as I am curious. I am thinking about taking one on a mountaineering trip where the temperatures will be so low that my digital camera might die. :getin:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Re: pinhole, I got one and this will certainly take some getting used to.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Yeah, I think the subject is 100% to credit for it looking halfway decent. The rest of the roll was garbage - mostly my fault of course. Will try it in 6x9 next time.

Anyway, different camera:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Megabound posted:

It's rude how good this is

Full disclosure: I used the HDR slider to mask some of the vignetting. :negative:

But many thanks anyway.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

eggsovereasy posted:

handle it gently, double sided means there's twice the emulsion to scratch

= twice the character

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Pondex posted:

Is the Hasselblad Makro-Planar 120/f4 CF lens any good for portraits?

While I do not have one, everyone online swears by it.

First actual roll with Rodinal:

I need to pay more attention to the sky as I passionately dislike how flat it looks in some of these frames.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Revisiting old subjects with a new developer. Apparently Ilford Ortho Plus and Rodinal do not get along (see dot-like defect in shaded areas in second pic).

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Megabound posted:

That's not a developer issue, it's a backing paper issue.
https://www.5x4.co.uk/threads/ilford-fp4-mottled-negatives.1270/

drat it Ilford!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I see a lot of photos of LF lenses with handwritten labels indicating the f-stop. Why would the actual f-stop be different from the one indicated on the shutter/lens? How do people measure the actual f-stop?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Cassius Belli posted:

... If a lens is moved to a donor shutter that used to hold a different-length lens, the old markings have nothing to do with the new lens, and handwriting a label is cheaper/easier/faster than getting a new one etched ...

Got it, thanks!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I have a GW690II and find it to be amazing.

I tried to put together a GL690 kit with the 65/100/180 mm lenses and after two rolls it fell apart like a house of cards.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I use a Jobo 1504 on a Simma sine-wave roller because I wanted something more reproducible than manual agitation.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Baby bought its first 4x5 camera and it came with a heavily used Bogen 3047 tripod head. One of the axes requires a lot of force to properly lock, and in the process I always end up moving the camera, so it requires lots of locking/unlocking until I get it right. Is this something that can be easily fixed? Would a new Manfrotto 229 resolve this issue?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

How worried should I be about the relatively small 200PL plate for a 4x5 camera (vs. a 030-14 plate)? But I do like the idea of a geared head.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

frumpykvetchbot posted:

I managed to fix my ancient preproduction Phaseone P45+ digiback for V-mount which broke about a decade ago and I never got it repaired until now. It was just a smoked DC/DC converter which I could bypass with an auxiliary battery pack with its own converter, injecting power through the firewire port.

I went for a photo walk in the city and I liked. the results. I had almost forgotten how much I loved the Planar T* 80mm f/2.8. I also am glad I held onto my old Hasselblad 501cm. But I am getting old, and in the decade since I last used this camera, my vision has decayed a bit and I now think I need to find a pentaprism viewfinder for it with a diopter.

The Hasselblad Chimney Finder is another option. It looks like complete rear end but it works wonderfully and it's dirt cheap too.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Yeah, the screen matters a big deal too. I have a 42218 (diagonal range finder in the center, microprisms just outside of the range finder) and I think it's great. The 42215 would perhaps be even better?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Thanks.

Edit:

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 11, 2024

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

spf3million posted:

This one is especially pleasing

Thanks.

I'll have to try this subject again with the squares in the upper right more in focus. I totally didn't notice them when I composed this shot.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 27, 2024

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 12, 2024