Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Wasn't sure where to post this--

In the Canon thread I was asking about the 5dsr because I've reached a point in my large prints where I'm not super happy with the results.

Well, I think I want to step into medium format, and after a lot of research and finding something that suits my style and needs, the new Hasselblad X1D seems to be something MAYBE feasible.

You guys have been very helpful, I'd love to get some insight on the pros and cons of a mirrorless medium format camera. Overall, it looks fantastic, and while mirrorless on full frame cameras can make them "slow", Medium format isn't exactly a rapid fire kind of photography anyways, so it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Help me out goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

VelociBacon posted:

What is it that you're unhappy with from the 5dsr? I could see the low light performance being poor at 50mp due to the size of the sensor pixels or w/e but that's more what you sacrifice to get a sensor with that resolution. I would assume also the lens ecosystem for that X1D is ludicrous in it's cost.

I havent used a 5dsR, but from my research the print quality isn't drastically better at large sizes compared to the 5d mark III. I could be wrong of course, but I've looked at various websites and everyone kind of says the same thing. That was my initial pick for the record, so I'd love to be proven wrong but medium format seems to be the next logical choice for me.

I recently sold the license for a photo for a good 10k and I'm debating if that money should be spent on a great upgrade, or if i should wait for the competition to drive prices down on similar systems.

I'm not looking to make a rush decision, this is really just a discussion on the benefits and drawbacks to certain cameras being used for large format printing.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Is DMF really medium format? It's like APS-H to 645 film's FF. Besides that, you could save yourself the early adopter premium and just get a Pentax 645Z or whatever.

I've thought of that but a few things-

The 645z can only go to 1/125 with flash currently.

The 645z is considerably heavier and I believe a much higher target for theft and stuff due to it looking "expensive" while traveling.

I've used the 645z and it's pretty comfortable to hold but I don't know if it fits my style.

And lastly, I think a digital viewfinder for MF sounds awesome. Would help a ton with nailing focus is imagine considering the depth of field of MF.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

alkanphel posted:

Wait for Fuji's much more affordable clone of the X1D. Should be announced at Photokina but I could be wrong. If you've ever played with a digital MF raw file, it's very different from the normal FF camera files, regardless of the megapixels. However you didn't exactly mention what you don't like about your current large prints?

In what way is it different? (MF raw compared to FF)

My current large prints are hung in a gallery and up close you start to see it break apart a bit. I printed something at 30x60 and it looked "ok" but I wish It had more detail.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Spedman posted:

I recently saw a show where 8x10 negs were wet printed to that kind of size, and if you got close you could start to easily see the grain etc. I think you're trying to solve a problem that isn't actually a problem, but you've got $10k to burn and more megapixels would somewhat elevate this non-issue.

What kind of work do you shoot? Is there other gear that would improve you're shooting or make you're job easier? Would some travel give some opportunities you'd never have otherwise?

I recently sold a print of this at 30"x60" and the ice looked "pixelated" a bit when printed at that size.

mendenhall by David Franco, on Flickr

It wasn't AWFUL, i mean, it sold-- but I noticed the people interested in buying the work got really close to look at details, and it kind of bothered me that they would be looking at a limitation on my camera. I might be overthinking it of course, but I felt like medium format would help in not only resolution, but in general clarity.

I also do a lot of portraiture, and here I need the resolution less, but I do love the look of medium format portraiture (the depth of field is so nice) Here is an example of my portrait stuff.

Michaele by David Franco, on Flickr

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 29, 2016