Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Poil posted:

If my memory is correct it's the same game only crossroads has a lot more stuff. On one hand it adds to the game but on the other it makes it more complicated. :v:

there is some magic nerfs i believe, but it's been a while. all i really recall is damage spells are not nearly as good in the games after The Legend

A necessary change but i also felt it went a little too far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012

Sloober posted:

there is some magic nerfs i believe, but it's been a while. all i really recall is damage spells are not nearly as good in the games after The Legend

A necessary change but i also felt it went a little too far

Theoretically, the balance changes make your army actually relevant as a Mage - you get less out of the damage spells but instead get generally better unit upgrades and options, and therefore have to focus more on clever solutions and finding the right spell for the right situation. It's also definitely true that the Warrior and Paladin are much better options in comparison for the sequel games. The balance shifts definitely take some time to get used to, though, which is kind of exacerbated by how the games very much look and play the same regardless.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Sloober posted:

We'll get to it (eventually, lol), but the nerfs to Mage include:

- Weaker damage spells
- Higher Magic is weaker. Instead of being able to cast any two spells, once per battle per level, it gets a mana limit for the first spell. So Higher Magic 1 lets you cast two spells once per battle, but only if the first spell cost no more than 7 Mana. It does go up to 20 Mana at Level 3, but it is a restriction. So no double Geyser.
- The relative army size difference is enhanced between the classes. The way you get Leadership while leveling is different, but in Armored Princess/Crossworlds, a Warrior will get 2x the Leadership of a Mage while leveling, compared to only 1.5x in Legends.
- Unit combat is more effective in general (for a number of reasons), so Mages with smaller armies are hurt more.

There is one significant change that Mages benefit greatly from - Damage over Time effects are hugely buffed, so things that cause Poisoning/Burning effects are much better.

Xarn posted:

Just some? I always thought that the modern KB series is all about how much you can break the game :v:

Hah, true, but that's not quite what I mean. In fact, the unit balance is for the most part a lot better - fewer boring units (almost every unit gets some sort of unique ability if it didn't have one), and the races with only a few units or obvious gaps in capability are filled out. But one particular change is to the Orcs. In addition to new units, Orcs get a whole new system that only affects them and is stupidly powerful. So pure Orc armies that you face can be much harder than the game indicates. Sure, you can (eventually) exploit this, but a) you have to find access to the orc troops in good quantity, and b) to truly take advantage you have to commit to mostly Orc-based armies.

• Locked thread