Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Warrior
Bill Gilbert
Emblem H

Getting screwed by the random spells is so annoying. But on the other hand as is not finding any good troops in decent quantities. It's so tempting to cheat in this series so you don't have to spent so much time running back to hire more troops all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gully Foyle posted:

I'm not usually too worried about finding any good troops in quantity, since there are a lot of viable options, and you will always get infinite amounts of some troops that are actually decent, if a little pedestrian. I will say there are two units I hope I can find in large enough numbers, and I will be sad if our game doesn't have them. It's sort of the same thing with spells, as there are quite a lot of good spells in the game, and it'd be extremely rare to miss all of the ones you like. Now, there's a couple very specific strategies which require a specific spell, which is where the randomness is more likely to screw you over. But at least on Normal, none of these strategies are required.
You are clearly not as hopelessly terrible at the game as I am. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Slaan posted:

I've not played the newest one, however. It any good?

Overall: yes. I haven't played the campaigns but I've done a lot of hotseat. It's way too buggy to be worth full price but it is still much more fun and better than HoMM6 in my opinion. No inferno faction sadly but apparently the dwarven Fortress faction from HoMM5 will be back in an expansion which is awesome. Naturally the game balance is completely broken by overpowered spells, skills, spells and artifacts.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Personally I really like demon troops (and dragons), but they're kinda less convenient to use than humans for obvious reasons. Stupid king not allowing them to set up shop in the castle to summon up infernal beings for sale. :argh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Neat, I had forgotten about the cow even though I remembered the rest of the thorns quest. Too bad you couldn't hire the big red one. :(

Oh man. You had to level up a hero skill in order for your troops to have all abilities like fire arrow? The later games sure changed a lot for convenience.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Orcs are really good but man are they awful to fight against, especially later in the series. So many bullshit abilities. :gonk:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thorns are really adorable. :3:

anilEhilated posted:

Someone was mentioning that it's a shame you can't recruit the big red one: you can get them later in the game, they're basically a cheaper, weaker high-level unit.
I really like them. But they're just so drat rare and hard to keep their numbers up.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Narsham posted:

Any stack with a "per battle" summoning ability has value, and it's even more valuable on a ranged attacker. But yes, Royal Thorns are hard to get and keep. I also feel like they have less hitting power than I expect them to.
I thought it was a cooldown ability. Or was that only in Armored Princess and later?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Royal snakes are pretty sweet. Fast, strong and good abilities. Quite a solid unit. :v:

Please show a gif of snakes attacking each other if you have the opportunity. It's great, especially if there's a retaliation strike too.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Doopliss posted:

As we'll be seeing later, the elves in this setting are kinda dumb.
No kidding, even the trees seem smarter.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, losses are mostly bad because it's so annoying to have to run back and hire new troops. Even if you don't take into account that you might run out.

Griffins are so annoying, they love to fly as far towards you as they can and then split and the second stack starts with full movement. Freaking jerks. :argh:

Cyclops are cool units, not as good as in Heroes of Might and Magic (at least in 4 and later) but still a rock solid choice. Boulder to the face!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Glazius posted:

So what kind of unit replenishment does an extra 1000 gold of looting buy you?
100 peasants?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ghostrim. Help the living dead claim their vengeance! :black101:

Oh man, upgrading items. On one hand it is an interesting idea but on the other it is kinda tedious and you have to savescum to know if you can do it or not. Maybe the worst part was only added in the sequel and on but I don't really like it for some reason.

Inquisitors are a unit I always bring along because they're just so useful. Personally I only use the best griffins, throwing disposables at your enemy sure feels great.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Eggs are such junk items, at least the snake eggs have a small chance to give you royal snakes (I think), but the spiders eggs are basically vendor trash. Don't sell for much either as the shopkeepers know how useful they are. That belt is pretty sweet though.

I can't wait until we get some actual fun RAGE!!! stuff. But I suppose the wall will always be useful regardless of enemy numbers.

Werewolves might not be the best units but the concept of switching forms with different strengths is very cool. It can make battles drag on however. Especially if there are 5+ stacks of shapeshifting jerks.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's random when the AI decides to use it. It's an activated ability you chose to use or not just like any other. It just takes time to watch several stacks change shape instead of charging towards their deaths.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gremlins?

Still eagerly waiting. Hope things get solved :)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:neckbeard:

Evil Shoal is really fun if I remember correctly. Nom nom nom. :3:

Oh and that lizzzzard princcce, issss it hissss people that sssshow up in Armored Princesssss?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Let the barbarians be, they need their fun. Also the vikings vs pirates situation is too awesome to break up.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I remember a much better wife being available soon anyway. Not a very healthy relationship there either though. :(

One of the best things about the later games is that they let you have the reserve slots right away without having to unlock them. It's such a great convenience.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Royal snakes are really good. Unlike a lot of good troops they're not too difficult to find but like all good troops it's a pain to run back and recruit more all the time.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't think I've ever used vampires in this series. The difficulty to get them and I believe you get morale penalties for bringing undead.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

VII is actually a decent HoMM game, hidden beneath all the tons and tons of bugs and glitches, poor balance and some questionable decisions.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Xarn posted:

I actually really enjoyed the direction of the mechanics changes in HOMM IV, even if they lacked polish and the graphics aged poorly.
Me too, I've spent so many hours playing it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dispel is a lie! In Armored Princess (I think) I got hit by some utter bullshit ability (gently caress orcs and their lame poo poo like transferring damage one of their troops take to one of your troops and you can't prevent it), and it didn't go away when I cast the spell. But maybe it was the order magic spell to get rid of all negative stuff I used. Either way it didn't! :argh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Continue with the graveyard vandalism and smash the statue. Cover the remains in graffiti and let your horse piss all over it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Trap is a fun spell but you have to take two things into consideration if you plan to put one directly in front of your own unit beyond the obvious that you might want to advance. First, it's useless if you're fighting snakes or other enemies who will strike from one hex away (I've totally never had that happen). And second, don't do it if the enemy can pull your troop forwards (absolutely never had that happen to me neither). That's a really bad.

Bosses... oh the bosses. The turtle is probably the best one because it's the least annoying to fight even when you're not overleveled for it and it's not recycled every loving game. The lack of rage abilities is very annoying. It would have been fine if only normal direct damage worked. It would still have been fine if the actual boss was immune to them but you could use them anyway. Hey here are some cool spells for you but you can't actually use them when you need them the most because gently caress you.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Delacroix posted:

I'm pretty sure the King was saying "two lost troop expeditions led us to believe there's a giant boss that will beat weak horde units to a pulp" which is completely true, boss fights are liable to incur far more losses than normal fights if you're not careful or utterly overlevelled.
Some troops are also incredibly bad at fighting bosses but you don't actually know until you do. Hope you made a save before fighting one, and before any point of no return until you beat it script. For example I've found archers to be terrible at some bosses because they end up having to melee which is not a good idea.

meristem posted:

I only played the first and the second game. Do the bosses get recycled afterwards as well?

On Trap, my most vivid memory is that in the second game, you could get an achievement for how many units you killed with traps, and in return, for each rank you got a new trap at the start of the battle and a bonus to damage. Getting it was a pain in the rear end, since the unit had to be *killed* by the trap (so it had to be weakened *just enough* before stepping on it). But once I got to the second or third level of the achievement, and since I also obtained two trap items, by the end of the game, I had four or five traps laid out across the battlefield at the start of each battle. And with all the bonuses (both from the achievement and the normal one from intelligence, and I think I *was* playing a wizard)... it was a minefield. Pretty funny. It was certainly a different gameplay.
Oh yes.

Traps are a lot of fun but that achievement is much easier if you do it early but actually getting the spell is 100% RNG which will often screw you over.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Some of Dark Side has incredibly poor map design at times. On the level of rushing modder who didn't give a poo poo kind of poor. I gave up on it kinda early though so maybe it got better.

In Warriors of The North I got stuck at some point and couldn't motivate myself to try any further. You have to fight several battles against enemy heroes in a row but you're not using your own hero and army for it. Instead you have these premade ones with units, skills and spells you might not be familiar with at all, either because you've never used them or tried but quickly stopped because they're poo poo/boring/don't work for you. Some might think that sounds like an interesting puzzle but I just got annoyed. You also have to really like viking troops for the first bit of the game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The elf bar is empty. This is... unacceptable! :argh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The snake ring was full of snakes? Now there's a surprise. :v:

Orc shamans! I hope you ditch the useless pirates for them.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gully Foyle posted:

Thanks for the encouragement! I didn't mean to leave this thread for so long with no update, but I started a new job recently and the adjustment to a new schedule has been more stressful than I thought it would be. I've actually been sitting on a partially-done update for a while now, just haven't had the time to work on it. But the LP is not abandoned, and I think I should be able to get an update out soon. Now that I'm getting used to the new job, hopefully I get my personal time better managed and the LP will continue with regular-ish updates.
We're looking forward to it. :toot:

There's still a lot of cool and fun stuff in the game like spoiler or spoiler when the spoiler the spoiler and spoiler has to spoiler but spoiler was spoiler.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Shamans are really good. But I think there are some really obnoxious goblins (and shamans) in the later game that are just a pain to fight against.

Wouldn't fighting that lazy pirate be a better idea since then you get all the treasure for yourself, whatever he is carrying and some xp as well? :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Snake Boots! They go perfect with a huge mass of powerful snakes who are definitely not the slightest bit upset that you're wearing the skin of their families.

Gully Foyle posted:

It's gotta suck having a huge glob of swamp poison spat at you when your body largely consists of eyeball.
It's an exploding barrel of laughs. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

drat useless shops everywhere! :argh:

But beholders are pretty nice units. At least against weak enemies like you said.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Brendon. If the other brothers are more powerful that means they'll have larger armies and we'll get more xp for fighting them. Also that treasure map sounds interesting.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

60kg in 10 years? That's fairly dedicated.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kill Wild Duke, pirate madness is no excuse for pirate rudeness.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Are you sure it's wise to put hundreds of snakes on a boat?

Slaan posted:

He's stealing.... Stealing souls for God :catholic:
Eh, probably just grave robbing. :shrug:

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 19, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah it's really hard to get evil beholders going. Which is a shame considering how fun they are. But I thought they were dark purpleish, are they only red in Legends?

Now I'm imagining going into a dwarf smithy and being greeted with a "Thes axe was forged frae th' tears ay titans!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gully Foyle posted:

They definitely change colours for the next game. The most confusing one is Pirates, who for some reason get morph to look exactly like the Sea Dogs do in this game (red shirt and all), while the Sea Dogs acquire an entirely new model.
I... didn't notice that. Which is weird considering how much I hate sea dogs. Freaking awful miss chance! :argh:

• Locked thread