Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

mauman posted:

Not to mention that the "demons" they constantly fought were explicitly described as "creatures from another world" or aliens......yeah, those "fans" had their heads WAY up their asses :bang:

I recall the celebration on the forums (Heroes 2, not here) when the Conflux was announced. Oh, well. At least there were a lot of good HoMM 2 maps available there. My impression is that the grognard HoMM players hadn't actually played the RPGs. Certainly the terribleness of the whole affair supports that impression.

Looking forward to this LP. I bought The Legend in the store (one of my last pre-Steam purchases) and played Paladin on my first run. Losing double-casting was a big deal, but it did allow you to adapt as needed over the course of the game. Part of what makes the King's Bounty series so enjoyable, IMO, is the degree to which you may need to try new tactics in a given game depending upon what troops and spells are initially available.

No idea how long I spent with The Legend, but Steam tells me I've spent 495 hours playing all the sequels. I'm not sure how much I'll have to say about the original as I don't have much memory of it (aside from some of the Boss battles), but I think Mage is probably a good choice for the original game LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Delacroix posted:

Archmages are not going to blow anyone away with their damage, they only do slightly more than priests and come in significantly less numbers. They have ample utility though. Telekinesis lets you move a unit closer to a chest or an enemy away from a ranged unit to keep it firing another turn. Shock is a very good debuff when it kicks in. Finally magic shield cuts all sources of damage by 50% for three turns on any unit you choose. Due to decent initiative they can work their magic before the majority of units act. Archmages are one way of achieving loseless victories so you never have to worry about money or finding unit replacements until you encounter tough heroes.

Personally I find humans have a decent roster that still works later on and only get better in the sequel. They may not be the best but they can plug up any deficiencies in your lineup.

e:beaten like a stack of peasants

The main utility for Shock is that it allows you to use magic to halt a different enemy unit or deal damage. Later in the game and in later games in the series, you either have other options or there's so many dangerous enemy stacks that you need to lock a lot more than one or two down to sweep the board. Archmages do have a few other advantages, like not suffering a range penalty, and they're often one of the few higher level ranged attackers available to you at certain stages of the game. Then again, I tend to roll with a mostly ranged army except for certain specific circumstances, because dealing unanswered damage is always preferable to a fighting exchange.

Both magic shield and telekinesis are useful later in the series when your characters can get benefits for meeting certain achievements (killing X enemies, dealing Y damage of particular types, casting Z number of a specific list of spells). But we can discuss that when the mechanic is introduced. TK is useful in very specific circumstances where a battlefield has only a few paths for enemies to reach you, as you can use an enemy that already moved to block in several stacks.

I like human troops, but much like in the original King's Bounty they tend to be second-best at doing everything.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Gully Foyle posted:

I do like them a lot as well (Royal Thorns, that is), since they are one of the stronger ranged units in the game, and have a way better Talent than the junior Thorns do. But as was said, they are hard to get in numbers and they die easily, especially when Fire damage get to be more common (cough, dragons, cough). But I will hopefully show them off for a couple battles at least, if I find enough. One of the nice things about the smaller Leadership cap of the Mage is that I don't need as many troops for a full stack.

Any stack with a "per battle" summoning ability has value, and it's even more valuable on a ranged attacker. But yes, Royal Thorns are hard to get and keep. I also feel like they have less hitting power than I expect them to.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Poil posted:

Are you sure it's wise to put hundreds of snakes on a boat?

Better on a boat than a plain.

And based on the later games in the series, "challenge" isn't really much of a problem to maintain, with the exception of a few fairly broken tactics.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You can get the map without killing her fiancée, and the Kraken is wholly optional.

I recall being uninteresting in wooing another bride the first time I played, and missed the Kraken entirely. Finished the game and wondered whether they'd miscounted the number of boss monsters in the advertising materials.

• Locked thread