Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Gully Foyle posted:

I've never played the old King's Bounty personally, but going by that LP, its not nearly as broken in this game. There's nothing really equivalent to the game-breaking power of Raise Control/Clone spells (that I know of, at least).

I think it's fine that troops are limited and do not replenish outside of certain castles but the equivalent of Clone in the reboot can be used to exploit AI behaviour and make loseless victories significantly easier to achieve consistently.

Bets are off if you get the spell to drop before you break the game over your knee using half a dozen other ways. I gave up opening the battlefield scroll chests when all they kept giving me was fear and plague. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The quest log in KB does very good job at telling you what to do: bookmark anything important on the map. The first continent is relatively painless. Once you leave Darion, the game is not so nice.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The best spells aren't even that expensive to cast.

Glazius posted:

Do simple enough enemies, like, willingly group up for easier explosions?

The AI tends to target units based on if they have ranged attacks, will take the most damage or are in range. Stacks of the same unit will therefore appear to act in tandem because they move one after another but it's not clever enough to emulate player tactics like baiting retaliation or body blocking.

As a result while low leadership units tend to have the highest damage for leadership ratios, the AI will throw the kitchen sink at them (quickly reducing their damage output) if you don't give it more enticing targets.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Eeepies posted:

I'm not a fan of Archmages at all though. Too little damage for their cost, and in this game, money is pretty hard to come by. Then again, I'm not a fan of any Human unit in particular, they're all pretty weak.

Archmages are not going to blow anyone away with their damage, they only do slightly more than priests and come in significantly less numbers. They have ample utility though. Telekinesis lets you move a unit closer to a chest or an enemy away from a ranged unit to keep it firing another turn. Shock is a very good debuff when it kicks in. Finally magic shield cuts all sources of damage by 50% for three turns on any unit you choose. Due to decent initiative they can work their magic before the majority of units act. Archmages are one way of achieving loseless victories so you never have to worry about money or finding unit replacements until you encounter tough heroes.

Personally I find humans have a decent roster that still works later on and only get better in the sequel. They may not be the best but they can plug up any deficiencies in your lineup.

e:beaten like a stack of peasants

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Ancient bears are amazing, being more than a match for swordsman and in the sequel where you can get morale for animals, a decent melee choice for elves. I like royal snakes but not as much as I like one of the neutrals in the sequel. :black101:

Gully Foyle posted:

Oh wow, I had no idea you could use those at all - tempting to go back to get that +2 Rage (I won't, it's part of the fun). I'll keep an eye out for using Quest items in the future though.

Go wild and use all the items you get your hands on. If you don't like the effect well...you did make a save beforehand, right? :v:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Gully Foyle posted:

One later later

You've got a typo there.

Inquisitors are quite the improvement over priests, their Resurrection talent is completely superior to the Healing of Priests. Unlike the spell Heal, it will restore current health and excess healing will bring back killed units of a stack. 'Quisitors also have Holy Anger which gives you rage, blesses the unit and improves damage against the undead. The tooltip doesn't tell you it acts as Bless and it lasts one turn longer than a Priest's Bless.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

quote:

Crikey! What wonderful news you have brought to me. my knight. He remembers me, and he asks about my health. He must have forgiven me and freed himself from his fierce hatred. But what made him hate me? I said nothing and did nothing to hurt his feelings.

Wrong portrait, I think.

I like how the brother asking for the royal seal turns out to be completely innocuous. It's usually part of some plan for good old brotherly regicide. Cvakha seems to like pulling one over on people, almost like Granny Weatherwax.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The different hero classes can all beat the games but they do so in different ways.

The warrior will have giant armies that deal and take less damage, the paladin can field a diverse combination of units with high morale (e.g fielding elf units with demons and undead) and the mage will break the game over its knee with higher magic but takes heavy losses against boss enemies if you're not prepared or overlevelled.

Higher magic is a test if you can figure out direct damage, debuffs, buffs or illusion magic will let you walk out of a fight with no losses.

I like to think that King's Bounty provides a way of scratching that old HoMM itch since the newer ubisoft ones have gone in another direction.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Slaan posted:

I know VI wasn't very great, as I have it and played it a bit. I never got into it. Is 7 any better?

I should say 'newer' is relative to the the KB reboot being a long time after the original. :v: I thought HoMM V was pretty neat (I know HoMM 3 is considered faraway the best) but VI and VII didn't remotely pique my interest. I've always liked TBS games but I likely wouldn't play them even if I got them for free.

(Not even a jab at uplay being bad. It certainly is, but not the point)

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

I'm pretty sure the King was saying "two lost troop expeditions led us to believe there's a giant boss that will beat weak horde units to a pulp" which is completely true, boss fights are liable to incur far more losses than normal fights if you're not careful or utterly overlevelled.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Giants :argh:, you could have fooled me if you said that they exist only to frustrate players and preventing loseless victories. Too slow for players to be useful but always able to jump one or two times for the AI who have no leadership restrictions like the player does.

Poil posted:

I don't think I've ever used alchemists myself. They always seemed to be too weak for their cost. But I could be wrong, since I'm not very good at this game. :v:

They're better in the next game, they can refresh their potions. Their alternate version is unmistakably better though. Still, I used them to annihilate the undead in the sequel, the undead themed area is at a much higher level than here.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

meristem posted:

Doesn't the Spider Queen web the ranged units from time to time, or am I misremembering things?

Anyway, the most hilarious way to deal with her is, I think, to spam Fire Arrows + no retaliation/ranged attacks, and let the walker units just deal with the spiderettes. At 25,000 health points, it may take some 10-12 turns, but hey.

And I really hope you're planning to go back and talk to that dwarf who very specifically told you never to come back and talk to him again. Heh.

If you kill her spawns fast enough, she'll mostly spawn more spiders or change position, I think the webbing is random because I had no problem one rounding the spawns and damaging her from range so my units didn't need to move anyway.

Glazius posted:

Does every powerful item have its own hangups that way, or only the real heavy hitters?

There's no real rhythm to whether an item has morale or not. A fair few of the game-changing army buffing items don't have morale, some bad or mediocre items do. But the majority of good gear has multiple stages upgraded through Keeper fights.

Cannoneers are positively wonderful to have for those fights, their characteristics are just what you need to punch above your weight and upgrade items, if you're willing to take losses (not a problem with a convenient source of human units hordes to soak up damage).

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

You need to bless cannoneers to make the most of salvo vs towers, I can't remember the number of times it bumped up a 0-1 tower prediction to a sure kill. it may not be an exciting skill (relegated to "that thing priests can cast! :v:") but mass bless is decent, just not when the enemy can spam divine armour. I think inquisitors were buffed in the next game that their holy rage spell also bestows bless.

I wonder if you'll have enough rage for Reaper's bigger skills.

Poil posted:

Level 2 tolerance as soon as possible please! The good and just treasure seeker needs his huge stacks of demons to more easily find gold and valuables.

I had no idea skeleton archers were that good. Maybe I should have used them myself. Undead are a lot of fun too.

It's largely due to their large stack size, hordes have high damage output but lose effectiveness extremely quickly. For the AI the player is going to debuff or burst them down and for players you'll get proportionately more spells thrown at you. Having to replenish them (if not commonly available) can be a chore too.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Level three geyser. :getin:

Since you mentioned mana shortages, do you level down spells to save mana when doublecasting?

Glazius posted:

I like that the game automatically sets up Horsemen to charge. Does it do that with the ice ball too, or does that only move in one direction a turn?

A nice touch is if horsemen are in melee contact with a enemy unit, they will do a run up attack if there's unoccupied hexes behind the horsemen.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The levelup choices for rage skills is a little annoying because it will offer the choice of drastically lowering cost/rest time for a ability but future levelups will ignore those values. That soul draining ability for instance, you can choose the five rage option but future levels might set it back to 30 or 40 rage; rather than a increase of 10, the rage cost goes up by 25 or 30. A skill might gain an extra two turn cooldown.

You can try skip around it by picking other abilities to level but the game will eventually force you to level every ability. It may be to prevent abuse but there are far worse shenanigans you can get away with, that were never 'fixed'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Looks like I was wrong about the rage levelups, there are specific conditions where a rage reduction is offered but for most skills it will be offset within one or two levelups. To use an example from the sequel, you may get -10 rage reduction for a skill but the next damage levelup will increase the rage cost by 11. I find a 21 point swing is mildly extortionate, so I would try ignoring leveling that skill for as long as possible.

As such a few skills have a sweet spot where the skill is economical and leaves room for multiple casts and other rage skills.
For Turn Back Time, you have little choice if you want it to affect tier 4 units. For skills like Black Hole, the cost spirals out of control to the point you need to use rage potions or in the case of the mage, you don't have enough rage to use the ability any more.
There's a small snowballing effect to consider too, you get more rage skill experience for rage used earlier in a fight than later. Having enough rage or cheap rage skills to cast straight away is a long term rage experience boost.

I suppose it's an intentional tradeoff. The mage will find lategame rage abilities consuming almost the entire orb (thank goodness for rage draining) but enjoys Higher Magic while the warrior will quickly level up rage skills but struggle to cast more than a couple of level 3 spells. For the latter, Lina can help. It remains skewed in the mage's favour though.

Let's explore the Underground Seas.

• Locked thread