Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Glazius posted:

Heh, the swamp's got horrid thunderclouds over it. That's a nice touch, but unless this game is super-small they're probably going to run out of interesting things to do with map clouds.

The kings bounty games are not known for being small

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
There's definitely certain fights in the game that magic resistance comes in handy for, but not to the extent it does in Crossworlds

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Narsham posted:

Better on a boat than a plain.

And based on the later games in the series, "challenge" isn't really much of a problem to maintain, with the exception of a few fairly broken tactics.

Having played all of them Crossworlds was the only one that consistently had some tough fights, the others didn't have merely a few broken tactics, they had flat out overpowered mess of being difficult to not stumble into them. Coincidentally North/Dark were also not done by Katauri, the group that did TL and AP, so there's probably a good reason why the caliber is simply not as high for them, and both of DS/North suffered from holy poo poo being way too long

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Gully Foyle posted:

By a count of 4-3, looks like we will be taking a train next time. Don't worry though, the Underground Sea will be next on the list.

You could indeed, though you could also just swap the tank with one of their weaker stacks, and beat up the stack that is now sitting isolated in your lines while your slow tank absorbs the other army's attacks. There are a lot of fun tricks you can do.

Oh yeah, the Demoness has a ton of potential. I admit I haven't used them that much, since it takes a while to get access to them and often times I don't bother getting the Tolerance skill.

Indeed. The additional Rage abilities of the Warrior definitely do not match up to the huge benefits of Higher Magic and fantastic spells, but they do help the Warrior get access to some forms of AoE/direct damage that he would normally not be able to get. The Warrior does get +50% more Leadership from levels, so his army will be much bigger and tougher than the Mage's. When we (eventually) get to the next game, they do a pretty big balance change - Rage abilities get a lot better, and Higher Magic gets significantly worse - and the Mage becomes much less over-powered, to the point where I think the Warrior easily becomes the more powerful class.

The best thing about rage skills is they can actually affect magic immunes. the rock guy's stuff in particular all affects dragons. And yeah how future games changed rage was interesting, although they compensated magic a bit in the form of burning/frozen/poison status being far more damaging, to the point that inflicting burning/poison was the point of higher magic. "How many dudes can i poison and set on fire right now"

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Poil posted:

If my memory is correct it's the same game only crossroads has a lot more stuff. On one hand it adds to the game but on the other it makes it more complicated. :v:

there is some magic nerfs i believe, but it's been a while. all i really recall is damage spells are not nearly as good in the games after The Legend

A necessary change but i also felt it went a little too far

• Locked thread