Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Taiso posted:

I heard there is another update coming in a week where they fully remove the hunters weapons and replace them with rocks and pointy sticks.

Its true this weeks patch pretty much made every hunter worse, again! Pretty good poo poo man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
At least they fixed the Wraith exploit, only took a week. Maybe next year Quantum Caira will be viable. :v:

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Lowered weapon damage from X to 90% of X.

Hunters now useless.

You hunters whine so hard at so small a nerf.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
Just got out of a game where the hunters didn't bother shooting my banshee mines or even dodge a single lightning strike the whole match but I'm supposed to feel bad for their perks getting minor nerfs when they don't even do basic things necessary to have a chance of winning.

I thought the new "advanced" tutorials were gonna get into some proper stuff like teaching Hunters to repeatedly climb up/down/around cliffs to try to disrupt the monsters attacks, or things like remaining calm and not wasting jetpack dodges just because the monster is close to you and you're scared rather than because it is using an ability. Or a whole bunch of other poo poo. Instead they just made the same old "you're support your job is to support the team/you're the medic it's your job to medic the team, dome the monster, now fight it, good luck" also training people to dome the monster when it comes to attack the relay rather than when it wants to flee, thanks TRS.

Tha_Joker_GAmer fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 10, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Hunter's are still stronger then monsters in a competitive landscape. But who the gently caress cares since 99% of people play this game in pubs. I have put more time into this game than likely anyone in the thread. I pretty much only play hunter now since my monster win rate is >80% and unless the hunters are competent and just cheese the gently caress out of cliff running there is almost zero challenge. Yah sure, a group of four hunters who know exactly what to do and make zero mistakes can win. That is less than 1% of the people playing the game. And if you balance a game such that 99% of the players are getting constantly poo poo on the game won't last long.

I think this game is neat but it inherently has some serious balance hurdles I'm not sure it'll ever overcome.

edit: Just in case

double edit: Not to beat a dead horse but I think the real problem is, hunters cannot make a single mistake. They really can't. If they do it will almost certainly cost them the game. However the monster can make a poo poo load of mistakes and still take the game. Mistakes are so much more punishing for hunters, and there are four of them, four random idiots on one team. Its crazy.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 10, 2016

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
It would be insane to balance the game around people who don't really know how to play. You would get games where premades destroy you in one game and games where you barely hold your own all because the game is balanced around people not knowing how to play the game.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

blackguy32 posted:

It would be insane to balance the game around people who don't really know how to play. You would get games where premades destroy you in one game and games where you barely hold your own all because the game is balanced around people not knowing how to play the game.

So then you balance the game where 99% of games are a loss for pubs because there are super occasionally competent premades? I'm not saying I know the solution to the problem but this game suffers hard from this problem.

Also just to note, its not that pubs don't know how to play, its just that to be successful as hunters all four of you need to not just play but play perfectly and communicate incredibly well. Something that is just highly highly unlikely in pubs.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Balancing towards the 1% seems like trying to kill the game a second time. Just make a Pro mode or something.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It'd be cool if developers realized not every game needs to be comp esports balance model poo poo, it's a niche/gimmick thing in the first place, just make it more fun to play.

Like I'm still enjoying the game, but changes really are getting baffling.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Even besides overall balance there really are some poo poo tier hunters. Like gently caress off if you choose jack or maggie (and they nerfed her more this patch). Also gently caress rogue val, emet, slim, quantum caira and lazarus, they are trash tier. Like i main lazarus but thats because its a challenge, not because he is good.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

So then you balance the game where 99% of games are a loss for pubs because there are super occasionally competent premades? I'm not saying I know the solution to the problem but this game suffers hard from this problem.

Also just to note, its not that pubs don't know how to play, its just that to be successful as hunters all four of you need to not just play but play perfectly and communicate incredibly well. Something that is just highly highly unlikely in pubs.

No, you balance a game around its mechanics, and most of the time, I see people not really doing that. Like pubbies have awful jetpack management or they simply have difficulty dodging.

Pubs are losing because they aren't really playing the game right. But I think this whole balance thing is around for all asymmetrical multiplayer games. People complain about the same thing in dead by daylight.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

blackguy32 posted:

No, you balance a game around its mechanics, and most of the time, I see people not really doing that. Like pubbies have awful jetpack management or they simply have difficulty dodging.

Pubs are losing because they aren't really playing the game right. But I think this whole balance thing is around for all asymmetrical multiplayer games. People complain about the same thing in dead by daylight.

Jetpack management is part of it but the only way to really succeed as a hunter is to wall-cheese or rock hop. Its kind of lame when the only reliable way to play against monsters is to hug walls and go up and down and up and down. That's just not fun gameplay.

Surely in pubs both parties would not be playing the game right. Again the difference is, a monster not playing the game right will always beat a team of hunters not playing the game right.

And at my level of play I would assume most of the pubs are playing the game right, but maybe not. People are in general terrible, but regardless of whether this is by design, by failings of players or whatever, it will drive the population to zero.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

Jetpack management is part of it but the only way to really succeed as a hunter is to wall-cheese or rock hop. Its kind of lame when the only reliable way to play against monsters is to hug walls and go up and down and up and down. That's just not fun gameplay.

Surely in pubs both parties would not be playing the game right. Again the difference is, a monster not playing the game right will always beat a team of hunters not playing the game right.

And at my level of play I would assume most of the pubs are playing the game right, but maybe not. People are in general terrible, but regardless of whether this is by design, by failings of players or whatever, it will drive the population to zero.

I think that will happen regardless. Either way, one side will not be happy about balance changes

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The best way to get a 100 win-streak is to be a monster.Even if you have a group of friends it's just better to play monster if you want a better chance at winning. It's ridiculous. Ran into a goliath player with 88 win streak going. Said he was going for the 100 because why not? So instead of these assholes playing ranked so they can fight people their skill level they can basically guarantee a pub stomp.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 11, 2016

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I've been traveling and not able to play for a few weeks. You guys are making me scared the whole game will be gone by the time I get back.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ularg posted:

The best way to get a 100 win-streak is to be a monster.Even if you have a group of friends it's just better to play monster if you want a better chance at winning. It's ridiculous. Ran into a goliath player with 88 win streak going. Said he was going for the 100 because why not? So instead of these assholes playing ranked so they can fight people their skill level they can basically guarantee a pub stomp.

Playing ranked is terrible because it takes much longer to make a game start. Not to say that guy in particular isn't a dickhead, but long waits are a legit reason to avoid ranked. Allegedly they just brought over elo type ranking for non ranked hunt mode too, which is good.

They have talked about giving solo queue hunter bonuses (more hp?? They won't say) but what I think they need to do is have the hunters team elo be a factor of how many solo queue players exist. Only if you have 4/4 premade should it match you with an equal level monster.

Until then I try to give hunters a good time in a match now by giving them the choice of what monster they want to fight in the lobby, instead of trying to up my sick win ratio on Goliath.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Captain Beans posted:

Playing ranked is terrible because it takes much longer to make a game start. Not to say that guy in particular isn't a dickhead, but long waits are a legit reason to avoid ranked. Allegedly they just brought over elo type ranking for non ranked hunt mode too, which is good.

They have talked about giving solo queue hunter bonuses (more hp?? They won't say) but what I think they need to do is have the hunters team elo be a factor of how many solo queue players exist. Only if you have 4/4 premade should it match you with an equal level monster.

Until then I try to give hunters a good time in a match now by giving them the choice of what monster they want to fight in the lobby, instead of trying to up my sick win ratio on Goliath.

I generally like to only down one hunter and let them do some damage to me in the dome. My goal is generally to get two strikes on each hunter for the final stage three battle so I can just systematically take them out but I think they have more fun too because they think the games are closer (lol).

Its pretty telling when every single streamer only plays monster (because they want to stomp for their viewers) lol

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 11, 2016

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
They could definitely do a lot more to help Hunters out in ways that wouldn't affect the balance too much (by elevating players who aren't so good while not buffing eXtreme MLG premades). I was thinking that it would be nice if the Hunters got all their jetpack fuel recharged either when the dome gets deployed (if they are in it) or when they enter the dome (if they are outside it). No one likes using up all their fuel to dome the monster then having it turn around and poo poo on you because you have no fuel left. That's not skilled or fun or interesting it's just silly. I don't feel like it would be a big change but it's just something that might help.

I mean I play solo and I still get those games where we all get poo poo on by a stage 1 wraith and although I don't feel like it was because the afterburner perk got nerfed from 5% to 4.5% I do agree that it sucks to just see Hunters get nerfed patch after patch but there must be ways to make playing as Hunter a little easier without necessarily affecting their overall strength.

Tha_Joker_GAmer fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 11, 2016

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I feel being unable to dome when you're the only hunter within a certain distance would help. Most games I'm in has some hot poo poo who gets way ahead of everyone, domes the monster, and gets poo poo stomped and wastes the dome.

That or being able to vote cancel the dome to let the monster go if it turns out it's a bad dome.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

John Dyne posted:

I feel being unable to dome when you're the only hunter within a certain distance would help. Most games I'm in has some hot poo poo who gets way ahead of everyone, domes the monster, and gets poo poo stomped and wastes the dome.

That or being able to vote cancel the dome to let the monster go if it turns out it's a bad dome.

You can cancel the dome I believe. Hold down F again.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I wish they'd just grey out monster preference if you're in a group if they're going to keep groups from being the monster. Annoying to see 4 "Pref monster" while you pref assault then get sent to the monster because they're a premade.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

John Dyne posted:

Chances are he's not a hot poo poo as much as everyone else is bad at tracking/anticipating the monster/jetpack efficiency.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
For reference Knifegrab is usually the one that is way ahead of everyone and domes the monster alone. :v:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Ularg posted:

For reference Knifegrab is usually the one that is way ahead of everyone and domes the monster alone. :v:

Can't keep up don't play with the big dogs.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Knifegrab posted:

Hey man I'm baby sitting the pubbie that keeps running into Megamouths and man-eater plants.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I think more people need to realize that the absolutely fastest way around a map is to let your jetpack FULLY recharge, then do four dodges forward, making sure to space them appropriately to get max distance. Then let your jetpack RECHARGE FULLY again before boosting again. If you do this while chasing you will always be considerably ahead of anyone who is impatient.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Knifegrab posted:

Chances are he's not a hot poo poo as much as everyone else is bad at tracking/anticipating the monster/jetpack efficiency.

Whatever the reason for them being ahead, they always dome the monster IMMEDIATELY and get wrecked. It's usually the trapper getting the speed boost from planetary scan, too.

I'm usually second to the fight in those situations and it's either commit and give up two strikes or let the chance slip away.

But yeah I blame dorks running into plants and mega mouths.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

Don't pay attention to teammates, die alone.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
You can also just dome the monster and then avoid it while your team catches up instead of trying to duel it.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

It's nice to see huntards bicker over something besides how OP the monster is.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knifegrab posted:

I think more people need to realize that the absolutely fastest way around a map is to let your jetpack FULLY recharge, then do four dodges forward, making sure to space them appropriately to get max distance. Then let your jetpack RECHARGE FULLY again before boosting again. If you do this while chasing you will always be considerably ahead of anyone who is impatient.

You said you win 80% of Monster matches, do you have some stats for that? I think you can find it in your personal file. A screenshot would suffice.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Tenasscity posted:

It's nice to see huntards bicker over something besides how OP the monster is.

Lol. This game is a piss easy pubstomp in quickplay for the monster. I say this as person with over ~67% wins on every monster except gorgon. And on a few of those monsters I literally only have like 2 hours played.

This game is balanced around hunters acually using their jetpack boost to move around and dodge poo poo. Yet the devs never emphasize this and barely even mention it in a tutorial.

The only time you will ever have trouble as the monster is if you face a premade that has played the game for 900 hours and knows exactly what pillar to hump, which cliff to climb, and which ability to dodge.

This game requires far too much coordination for public play.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

You said you win 80% of Monster matches, do you have some stats for that? I think you can find it in your personal file. A screenshot would suffice.

Sure here is every single monster in my profile

Please note I have only recently started learning kraken/elder kraken so that is why I have not done well or have many matches played with them

I did the math and if you add up all of my monsters including my non-main monsters (goliaths) I have a winrate at 77% overall with monsters. Sorry its slightly under 80%!

For the record too most of my monster losses actually come from hackers. Though I have lost a few games earnest to just some bang up hunters.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

As soon as you learn vanilla Kraken nearly at all, have fun pretty much never losing again, because they're far and away the most ridiculous right now.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
if you've played a video game before in your life ever you are going to have a high monster winrate, that's just how the game is. The overall monster winrate is just balanced out by those weird fuckers who get domed stage 1 and fight until they die instead of fleeing to stage up. It's not even an extraordinary claim, I'm surprised you asked for proof.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

As soon as you learn vanilla Kraken nearly at all, have fun pretty much never losing again, because they're far and away the most ridiculous right now.

So I've heard. I haven't figured out what perks really work for it.

What I'm saying is give me tips.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 13, 2016

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
It's grounder pretty much.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Knifegrab posted:

Even besides overall balance there really are some poo poo tier hunters. Like gently caress off if you choose jack or maggie (and they nerfed her more this patch). Also gently caress rogue val, emet, slim, quantum caira and lazarus, they are trash tier. Like i main lazarus but thats because its a challenge, not because he is good.

A good half of those are like top tier picks.

none as good as Wasteland Maggie though

:getin:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

A good half of those are like top tier picks.

none as good as Wasteland Maggie though

:getin:

I don't know how you did this but I am going to assume its some sort of witchcraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Man these player stats are getting woefully low. The only people who really play monster anymroe are insane pro-bros so its pretty much never fun to play hunter in a pub lol. This game is on track to be so dead soon.

• Locked thread