Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Dear Leader has promised to reveal the Big Surprise within the hour once the honorable National Security Council meeting has ended. Prepare your butts you euro whiteys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
It would be cool if Turkey became a secular democracy and teamed up with Israel to redeem the middle East

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Saturn5_/status/755504016872833024?lang=en

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kikkelivelho posted:

Dear Leader has promised to reveal the Big Surprise within the hour once the honorable National Security Council meeting has ended. Prepare your butts you euro whiteys.

Sultan, not stupid rear end dear leader. Turks don't eat kimchi.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

He was replying to my north korea opinion post.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

This great nations decades long secular nightmare will soon be over. I think by next week most of the rebels and gulenists have been taken into custody and removed from important positions of power.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

So turkey has become iraq?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Turkamania

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
To the goon wondering about his/her cool Turkish lady professor who was in Istanbul, it may be a minute before you see her again.

https://www.rt.com/news/352218-turkey-academics-ban-travel/

quote:

The Turkish higher board of education has prohibited all academics from traveling abroad, according to local broadcaster TRT.

The ban is a temporary measure to prevent alleged coup plotters in universities from escaping, according to a Turkish government official, cited by Reuters. Some people at the universities were communicating with military cells, the official claimed.

Four university rectors have also been suspended as part of the crackdown, according to broadcaster NTV.

It comes shortly after the government ordered the resignation of all university deans – namely, 1,577 people.

Also, the authorities canceled the licenses of 21,000 private-school teachers, bringing the total number of dismissed professionals to almost 60,000, according to Bloomberg estimates.

Academics around the world have expressed their outrage at the situation, too. Fiona de Londras, professor of Global Legal Studies at the University of Birmingham, has launched an online petition to support academic freedom in Turkey.

The Anonymous hacktivist group has also condemned the crackdown on education and media, urging to pay attention to the upcoming publications on the WikiLeaks whistleblowing website. On Wednesday, access to WikiLeaks was blocked in Turkey after a cache of some 300,000 government emails went online.

The purge comes as the government suspects the academics of links with the US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen, who denies claims that he was behind the recent attempted coup.

PM Binali Yildirim said the preacher led a "terrorist organization," and pledged in a speech to parliament to “dig them up by their roots."

Gulen, in his turn, hinted that Erdogan may have staged it himself; the Turkish president called the claim “nonsensical.”

US Secretary of State John Kerry said that Turkey would need to provide “evidence, not allegations” against the cleric, currently living in Pennsylvania, in order to have him extradited to Turkey.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Are you aware that RT is Putin's mouthpiece? I wouldn't cite it as a news outlet.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

So turkey has become iraq?

I'd say more Iran post revolution.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
Well they're not the only ones saying he's banned book readers from leaving the country

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

notZaar posted:

Are you aware that RT is Putin's mouthpiece? I wouldn't cite it as a news outlet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...6f96_story.html

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
It's also reported that all Turkish academics abroad are told to return to Turkey. Lol I doubt many will heed the call now.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
turkish coup better footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wutr1QgmjI

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
Look to be fair book readers usually tend to whine when you start running over secularists with tanks

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast

Boy did this get out of hand. What is North Korea's official stance on this situation?

They are sending taylors, hair stylists and choreographers. Honestly Erdogan needs to improve his image as a dictator.
Meanwhile Slovak government is sending junior officials to learn some tricks while declaring the wonderful friendship between our two nations rolling happily in them piles of democracy and freedom.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

North Korea's kidnapping problem is more wide spread than I thought if they have our Taylors

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

His first language obviously isn't english. Come on guy...

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I've heard of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, but this is ridiculous.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I thought it was a phone autocorrect :(

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Good lookin out broseph

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

mobby_6kl posted:

I think the military is more antagonistic towards Russia than Putin, so there might be a chance he'd sell them out to Erdogan in exchange for keeping quite on the Tatar issue etc, seeing as how Erdo has already tried to suck up by apologizing for shooting down their plane.

Didn't know about that. How is the Turkish military in Egypt's books? They on decent terms? If I were one of those Admirals, I'd try and put into a port of a country that wouldn't pack me one a plane to Turkey, and if possible, maybe even allow me and my fleet to operate as a "Free Turkish Navy", although that last one is pretty far-fetched.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Feels like the Cultural Revolution. Are we suddenly back in the 60s?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sincx posted:

Feels like the Cultural Revolution. Are we suddenly back in the 60s?

The Cultural Revolution was unique because Mao decided to use the brainwashed youth to attack the administrative state machine and bureaucratic system. He didn't have to since the army was still royal to him. He did it kind of prove he could.

After a few years and the student Red Guards were getting out of hands, he promptly sent them all to the countryside to "learn from the rural brothers". Talk about master troll.

Most of the Sunni regions military take overs don't have strong ideological foundation because Sunni Islam doesn't care about scholar support.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Blistex posted:

Didn't know about that. How is the Turkish military in Egypt's books? They on decent terms? If I were one of those Admirals, I'd try and put into a port of a country that wouldn't pack me one a plane to Turkey, and if possible, maybe even allow me and my fleet to operate as a "Free Turkish Navy", although that last one is pretty far-fetched.

Just wanted to point out that I messedbup in that post - it's supposed to be " than Erdogan" of course. It's hard to say for certain but it that seems to be the situation.

Not sure about their relation with Egypt tbh.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blistex posted:

maybe even allow me and my fleet to operate as a "Free Turkish Navy", although that last one is pretty far-fetched.

im pretty sure thats an act of war lol

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think they can establish the Turkish government in exile unless they've previously been the Turkish government.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

goatface posted:

I don't think they can establish the Turkish government in exile unless they've previously been the Turkish government.

Like that stopped Charles de Gaulle.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

yogizh posted:

They are sending taylors, hair stylists and choreographers. Honestly Erdogan needs to improve his image as a dictator.
Meanwhile Slovak government is sending junior officials to learn some tricks while declaring the wonderful friendship between our two nations rolling happily in them piles of democracy and freedom.

I've suspected Fico of many things, but being a secret Islamist has never been one of them.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

goatface posted:

Hey man rule of law is secured by whoever has the muscles to back it up

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

notZaar posted:

It would be cool if Turkey became a secular democracy and teamed up with Israel to redeem the middle East

For that Israel would need to become a secular democracy first though :can:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

mobby_6kl posted:

Why would that need to happen? As long as it's not Islamist it's good.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

jews dont care about religion lol (well some of them do, but they are major sperg lords). its mostly the people that downloaded the various Torah DLC that get troublesome

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Rutibex posted:

jews dont care about religion lol (well some of them do, but they are major sperg lords). its mostly the people that downloaded the various Torah DLC that get troublesome

lol go hand out in some of the super orthodox areas in New York City. They're just as insular and reclusive and distrusting of outsiders as any other hardcore sect.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

davecrazy posted:

lol go hand out in some of the super orthodox areas in New York City. They're just as insular and reclusive and distrusting of outsiders as any other hardcore sect.

Marx is jew though. So they cancel out each other.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

whatever7 posted:

Marx is jew though. So they cancel out each other.

Marx said: "When I was 10, my grandma gave me a Torah--- When I was 20, I returned it to her cut in twain with my katana"

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Islam and religion are loving stupid.. But mostly Islam

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

vyst posted:

Islam and religion are loving stupid.. But mostly Islam

Daoism is cool. You have sex with virgins to archive immorality immortality.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Brannock posted:

I kinda want to go back in 2 months' time when Erdogan is full blown fascist Islam Hitler and retweet all the "It is EVIL to support a coup against a democratically elected leader!!" retards

I just like seeing soldiers get owned and atheists fill their diapers. Its more aesthetic than moral.

• Locked thread