Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

GeneralYeti posted:

Heya folks, been a while, huh?

No update yet, or really anywhere close to being ready. I still have to somehow summon up the will to deal with the post-game bullshit, which means I have no footage to work with. It doesn't help that the past month has basically been 'gently caress you' the school semester - putting in 12 hours of school work a day just to keep up isn't exactly conducive to doing an LP, much less of a game that I've technically finished and really want to forget exists.

But I'm getting there. Next week is finals week, and then I'll be done. Hopefully I should have an update either by the end of the month or sometime June.

Eh, no problem. If you're gonna be doing tedious poo poo might as well be productive and prepare for exams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Update 29: Limits

Guess what we're playing! That's right, the EU version of the game. There are more changes than just being able to select your language of choice and the title screen - and I'd love to go through and see if they made a bunch of spelling errors in the translated versions too, but I don't know any of them well enough.

Changes include:
Counter Crest activating randomly instead of every time physical damage is dealt.
Only being able to fight 16 Digimon with fishing/kicking trees per screen - to reset the counter, you have to leave the screen and enter again.
Ambush rate, critical rate, drop rate, and technique effect proc rate is raised
The health bar for the enemy empties to the right instead of the left (the important change)
9999 damage cap, but that doesn't really matter
A few animation changes in enemies and training.
Neat little animations before the beginning of Digimon battles; these are quick and fast and barely noticeable.
A little sound effect plays when you fish up a Cardmon.

Alright, so we've finished up the game - and the version of the game we've been playing just crashes to an end screen as soon as Kite walks into the crosswalk.

...Okay, that mental image is surprisingly funny.

The good news is, in the EU version (I'm just going to say 2003 from now on, if it comes up again) we're treated to a rehash of the logging-in FMV.

And we're back!

Junior: Hmph! Knowing them they've gone ahead.

Unfortunately, Kite has undergone a name change, thanks to what was probably a mid-life crisis and is now Junior again. This is 100% because the file I'm using for the EU game had Junior, and there's exactly zero chance in hell I'm replaying all of this game just so we can have Kite in the postgame.

Boo! BOOOOOO! Down with the LPer!

Tour Leader: We'll be practicing today to prepare you for your start. You're restricted to the East Sector and Central Amaterasu. However, there are more Circuit Board and Seabed areas. Digimon data is being used as it was before. Of course techniques and digivolutions will also stay the same. However, I'd like to perform a data check just in case. Before heading out, be sure to save with Guardromon.
Junior: Sure thing! Alright! This'll be fun!

So, that's a little heavy, so let me simplify that: we only have East and Central Sectors to run around in, the Circuit Board and Seabed areas are new maps to account for this, and the Digimon spawns are entirely different. Also, SAVE YOUR GAME because there's no save after beating Galacticmon (or Gallacticmon, the mistake was in this version too).

This is... ugh. You know what I wanted, game? A fun post game. 'What's that? You wanted more tedium and annoyance? SURE!' said the game. gently caress. At least it's been a month since I last played, so I can at least take refuge in the tedium and not jump straight to pure rage.

(We'll get there. Oh, we'll get there, I just loving KNOW.)

I actually prefer postgames that let you fight the final boss over and over again. But looking past that, it seems...stupid that we don't have access to every single map. Instead, we get like 30%. Maybe if the developers were putting in more than 30% we could have gotten a better game.

This man has his priorities straight.

>Manager

We're hosed.

The game does, at least, offer an excuse as for why they've restricted us. Apparently the Digital World is somehow a game again, or this is a copy of the Digital World, so we only have access to the two servers while they're getting the rest of the game ready, or...

gently caress. Game! I try and try to give you an out, and then you just poo poo your pants repeatedly!

I geniunely don't know why the US didn't get a postgame. Was it because we got the game first and the postgame just wasn't ready?

At least Genji still believes in us. It's weird, but somehow Kite has become a celebrity. We're getting the recognition we deserve!

Hey, at least that makes sense. :woop:

Also, there are only five Tamer battles left, and you'll know what they are. Every other human NPC will play cards with us, and I do mean EVERY.

I've had enough of the game's bullshit. Also, because gently caress having to waste my time grinding these fuckers.

C-C-Cheater! You darned pumpkin eater! :argh:

Click for music!

The biggest and most important thing to realize, if you didn't pick up on it earlier, is that everything is finally back to normal. No weird tint to the world, no lovely A.o.A theme blaring constantly, and NO GODDAMN OINKMON.

Oink, oink, bitch.

Ivy: He rebuilt so much of Digimon Online! Maybe you should learn something by watching him!

....What the gently caress? Are we in the Twilight Zone?

Hah... I really don't even know what this setting is supposed to be, anymore. Now the Digimon are actually just computer programs, but... they're sentient?

Anyway, let's take care of the whole needing to save bit. As you can see, blitzing through the game takes about 20 hours; our real file is actually at about 90-ish hours. I'm expecting to hit the full 100 by the end of the LP.

Remember this place? This is where the Gabumon card was, back when we first started out the game. Man, that was a long time ago. I remember when I didn't hate this game, and didn't hate Giver nearly as much as I do now.

Character development, hooray! Don't worry, Yeti, I hate you too :unsmith:

Yep, still nothing here.

That, however, suddenly changes the sixth time we examine the area.

Junior: Yes! I got 8500 BIT!!

Interestingly, there are a bunch of chests scattered everywhere. This one holds a Fire Chip.

Everybody we've talked to before is back, and I'm pretty sure they have new card decks, if I were to give a poo poo about the card game in the slightest.

No, you play the card game. BAD YETI!

What's more, this spot is now considered a fishing point.

Encounters:
-Fishing:
Coelamon
Cardmon, blue, 1 card (Booster 1b or R01)

Yes! Every single screen and fishing spot has a unique encounter pool. I won't be redoing all of the bios, but I will post a list of the encounters every time we're in a new screen.

This guy here is talking about the Digimon partners. Unlike before, the Ultimate Digimon we get DDNA from are just chilling in the Circuit Board area, but the rules have changed; all partners need to be at least level 45 before you can fight them. So, if you didn't get all the Digimon during the game proper, or you missed a window of opportunity, guess what you're doing?

More grinding. And once you get the new Digimon partner, you have to grind that one up to level 45 too.

yay what a postgame.

Junior: Did I imagine it? Maybe I should have a look.

Anyway, we all know what's about to happen here.

Five times it's nothing...

And then we finally get a reward the sixth time.

Junior: Hey! Check it out! A "P Members' Card!" A Platinum Members Card! Let's see... What to do with it?

Well, we'll see shortly, but for now we have to check the Water Tower proper.

6 times? Why? I could understand 2-3, but 6?

Nick: Ah! I slipped back into that habit! Ha ha ha!

Nick here will give out a Folder Bag if a player didn't get it earlier.

Let's check out the first use for the Platinum Card.

Mr. Wedge: If that's the case, come this way. I've some fine items!

The best part of this postgame is that we now have access to the Black Market again. Yay? It would have been nice if we didn't have to beat the game first, though.

Or that it didn't get Oink'd earlier?

That's it for Amaterasu City, though, so let's keep moving.

The Amaterasu Seabed is actually the same as it used to be; there are new encounters, though.

Encounters:
-1st screen (below Amaterasu Bridge):
Gesomon
MarineDevimon
-2nd screen (below Amaterasu Sewer):
Gesomon
Tylomon
MarineDevimon

There's also this chest to the left of the first screen, remember. Of course, the prize is useless, thanks to the cheating the hard work of whoever provided the save.

Click for music

The sewers have this too. It's equally useless.

Encounters:
-Walking:
Monzaemon
Nanimon

More confusing bullshit regarding the construction. All of the entrances to the Admin room have been cut off, which means we don't have access to the Gunslinger.

Co-commentating on this game is so tiring, I bet you feel the same Yeti. Though, I guess it makes sense to restrict access to stuff like the Gunslinger? But that doesn't explain all the other areas.

Fun fact, Kurt's in Datamon's room. It has a proper name, but I don't remember and/or care.

D.O. Operator: Junior, your data is just amazing! I'll definitely use it in setting the game balance.

Oops. Maybe we shouldn't have level 99 partners. This might have backfired a bit. (Please note, the difficulty doesn't scale at all unless the enemy can counter.)

Kurt: Thanks to you, Digimon Online's gonna open again! Thanks a lot! OK, go and have fun!

Click for music

Well that's enough of that.

Encounters:
-Walking:
Kunemon
Tapirmon
Betamon
Kuwagamon (red)
-Fishing
Seadramon (blue)
Cardmon, blue, 2 cards (Booster 4b or R02)
-Kicking trees:
Yanmamon (green)
Cardmon, yellow, 2 cards (Booster 9b or R03)

Central Park basically folds in all the enemies from Asuka Central Park, Asuka Plug Cape, and Asuka West Wire Forest.

The other half of the Platinum Card is to unlock Super Training for every training, including the Elemental trainings. This is also useless, because, well, just take a look at Veemon's stats.

There's also an Armor Chip up here.

Lisa: I'm so thrilled we have the chance to play again!

Lisa will also play cards with us. gently caress that.

Card games :negative: Noooooo! Not the grinding! Anything but that!! gently caress off with this random-rear end fusions!!

Plug Cape is Plug Cape. No new chests, but if you don't have the Kicking Boots you can talk to the Soccer Kid and he'll give you them so long as you have the Folder Bag.

Encounters:
-Entrance and down, walking far from the water:
Vegiemon
Goburimon (green)
-Down, walking close to the water:
Tortomon (yellow)
ShogunGekomon (red)
-Near and up the ladder:
Triceramon (blue)
Airdramon (red)
-Fishing:
MegaSeadramon (blue head)
Cardmon, blue, 4 cards (Booster 5b or R02)
-Kicking Trees:
Kokatorimon (brown)
Cardmon, yellow, 2 cards (Booster 8b or R03)

Guilmon: ...limits. But I hear the Circuit Board has been improved!

Bullshit.

Same deal with the Fishing Pole and the old man as with the Kicking Boots and the Soccer Kid.

Encounters:
-Walking near the entrance:
Yanmamon (yellow)
Kiwimon
-Walking on the sand near the water:
Gizamon
Crabmon
-Fishing:
Shellmon
Cardmon, blue, 1 card (Booster 2b or R01)
-Kicking Trees:
Flymon (yellow)
Cardmon, yellow, 1 card (Booster 2b or R01)

It's worth noting that every NPC Digimon is in the post-game; all the trainers, and all the Digimon partners we can talk to normally.

Wire Forest Entrance:
-Walking:
Kokatorimon (white)
Apemon
RedVegiemon
-Fishing:
Dolphmon
Cardmon, blue, 2 cards (Booster 3b or R01)
-Kicking Trees:
Woodmon
Cardmon, yellow, 1 card (Booster 3b or R01)

Tamer Mitsuko: I'm you're biggest fan! Oh, I feel faint!

Oh, game, you were doing so well with the whole no typos thing. Though, granted, that's probably because there's no more plot-related dialogue for the game to gently caress up. Anyway, like I said, we're finally getting the recognition we deserve.

Click for ambience

West Wire Forest:
-Walking:
Ogremon
Tuskmon
Mammothmon (brown)
Airdramon (white)
-Fishing:
Scorpiomon (black)
Cardmon, black, 4 cards (Booster 14b or R05)
-Kicking Trees:
Woodmon (green)
Cardmon, yellow, 3 cards (Booster 10b or R04)

It's worth noting that this is the best place to grind, thanks to the Scorpiomon. Remember, beating it gives us at least 9 DV Exp, as well as a chance to get some extra TP 5 Chips. Plus the reward money and EXP is pretty good.

Useless.

Tamer Alexei: ...that if I became human again, I'd quit drinking!

East Wire Forest:
-Walking:
Deltamon
Flymon (pink)
Kuwagamon (green)
Blossomon (blue)
-Kicking Trees:
Okuwamon
Cardmon, yellow, 3 cards (Booster 11b or R04)

For now, we're going to ignore Protocol Forest. We'll be heading there later, don't worry.

Digimon Fan Emmie: Even if only once, I'd love to run into one of those!

Let's take a break from going through the available areas and check out the Forest Inn. Up here, Emmie is telling us about the weapon forgers. Naturally, since we don't have access to the other sectors, we can't go about and get the ultimate weapons forged - if we hadn't done it already, of course. Like the Ultimate Digimon, all of the forgers are in the Circuit Board. To get those guys to show up, you need all eight partner Digimon at level 45+. From there, it's basically the same deal as before - give them the items they want, and you get the weapon.

OK, I hate this. You can't forge the Ultimate Weapons anymore?

Guilmon: Maybe it was filled in while under maintenance.

At least they fixed the gaping hole in the wall.

Click for music

Back on track, Divermon's Lake is still the exact same.

Encounters:
Divermon's Lake:
-Walking:
Brachiomon
Tortomon (blue)
ShogunGekomon (blue)
Blossomon (pink)
-Fishing:
Divermon
Cardmon, blue, 4 cards (Booster 6b or R02)
-Kicking Trees:
H-Kabuterimon
Cardmon, yellow, 3 cards (Booster 12b or R04)

Another stat chip in the same place we found Nick, a while ago.

Click for ambience

Encounters:
Wind Prairie:
-Walking:
Triceramon (red)
Snimon (green)
Antylamon (light brown)
Fugamon
-Kicking Trees:
Snimon (red)
Cardmon, yellow, 4 transparent cards (Booster 13b or R01)

Click for ambience

Kicking Forest is the last new walking area; I'm also putting off Tyranno Valley for the moment.

Encounters:
Kicking Forest:
-Walking, most of the area:
Mammothmon (white)
Cherrymon (green)
Puppetmon
Piedmon
-Walking, crossing the bridge near the East Station, and some random patches of land:
Arukenimon
Quetzalmon
-Fishing:
Ebidramon (pink)
Cardmon, black, 4 cards (Booster 7b or R03)
-Kicking trees:
Cherrymon (red)
Cardmon, yellow, 4 cards (Booster 15b or R05)

There's a lot of dangerous Digimon here, so be careful.

D.O. Staff: ...construction. I'm sorry, but you must withdraw from here.

It's pretty obvious, so just for confirmation, we can't actually go into South Sector.

Click for music

That's everything for the dry land, so let's start with the Seabeds. These are different from what they used to be, thanks to the game restricting us to just the two Sectors. This Seabed entrance in Kicking Forest links up with the one in Central Park.

Encounters:
Central Park-Kicking Forest, from left to right, starting at Central Park:
-1st screen (below Central Park)
Dolphmon
-2nd screen:
Gesomon
Pukumon
Ebidramon (red)
-3rd screen:
Gesomon
Ebidramon (red)
-4th screen:
Gesomon
Pukumon
Ebidramon (red)
-5th screen:
Gesomon
Pukumon
Ebidramon (red)
-6th screen:
Gesomon
Ebidramon (red)
-7th screen:
Gesomon
Pukumon
Ebidramon (red)
-8th screen:
Gesomon
Ebidramon (red)
-9th screen (below Kicking Forest):
Dolphmon

Yes, that is in fact nine screens of encounters you see there. And they must have done something weird to the controls, because it felt really awkward to control Submarimon. I mean, even moreso than the usual tank controls. Or maybe it was the month-long break, I don't know.

Yeah, your mind isn't acclimated to its bullshit anymore. And yet, you jumped right back into this game.

These two treasures are in the Seabed. This is how the game gets around the whole not being able to create the weapons if you don't have the materials; the shops in Qing Long and Amaterasu Cities still sell the other items needed to combine to form the ultimate weapons.

Oh. Phew. They still provide you with a way to do that. I was about to have an anuerysm.

The Kaiser Fist this time, and it's courtesy of the Shell Beach Seabed.

Encounters:
Shell Beach:
-1st screen (below Shell Beach):
Dolphmon
Seadramon (orange)
-2nd screen:
Dolphmon
Seadramon (orange)
-3rd screen:
Seadramon (orange)
-4th screen (dead end):
MegaSeadramon (blue head)
Scorpiomon (yellow)

Plug Beach has two more weapons, the ones for making Patamon/Renamon's weapon, and the one for making Kotemon's weapon.

Encounters:
Plug Cape:
-1st screen (below Plug Cape):
Octomon
-2nd screen:
Octomon
Dragomon
-3rd screen:
Whamon (white)
MetalSeadramon (platinum)
-4th screen:
Octomon
Dragomon
-5th screen:
Octomon
Dragomon
-6th screen (dead end):
Whamon (black)
MetalSeadramon (platinum)

The colors might be a little off, since this listing is different from the bestiary I use, but they should be close enough to match. Anyway, it's not like it really matters all that much, right?

Clearly unacceptable. Leave, Yeti.

Finally, Divermon's Lake; I'll be coming here eventually for another reason, so we're only gonna deal with the Seabed and not Duel Island.

Encounters:
Divermon's Lake-Duel Island, from left to right, starting at the 2nd screen to
the left of Divermon's Lake:
-2nd screen to the left (dead end):
MegaSeadramon (yellow head)
MetalSeadramon (golden)
-1st screen to the left:
MegaSeadramon (yellow head)
-starting screen (below Divermon's Lake):
Divermon
-1st screen to the right:
Divermon
-2nd screen to the right (below Duel Island):
Divermon

Whoo. That's a lot of Digimon. And we still haven't fought them all, since a good half of the encounters are in the Circuit Board. Regardless, we're at a good stopping point, so I'll pick up next time in Qing Long City. We're gonna have some fun.

Or, uh, as much fun as you can have in this game.

Stay tuned for more exciting updates!

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Amazing how they can compress the whole game into 2 sectors and it feels more naturally paced than the actual game

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Please do Digimon World Next Order next thx

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

corn in the bible posted:

Please do Digimon World Next Order next thx

I'd rather him play Cyber Sleuth instead, but we gotta let Yeti absorb the compressed bullshit that is 2003

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The postgame makes most of the game inaccessible? Sure, why not?

At least you can still make the Ultimate Weapons.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The postgame makes most of the game inaccessible? Sure, why not?

At least you can still make the Ultimate Weapons.

Gonna give the game the benefit of the doubt and say this has more to do with disk space limitation and less with the endgame being half assed.

Thought this being Digimon World 3 the latter is also completely plausible.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

lezard_valeth posted:

Gonna give the game the benefit of the doubt and say this has more to do with disk space limitation and less with the endgame being half assed.

Thought this being Digimon World 3 the latter is also completely plausible.

FFVII would have fit all on one disk if there weren't FMVs, and this game has less of everything than FFVII.

Unless their file compression is absolute garbage (which I normally wouldn't put past them, except that Digimon World 1 was entirely 3D and had FMVs, yet fit all on one disk), this is absolutely them half-assing the postgame.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Sordas Volantyr posted:

FFVII would have fit all on one disk if there weren't FMVs, and this game has less of everything than FFVII.

Unless their file compression is absolute garbage (which I normally wouldn't put past them, except that Digimon World 1 was entirely 3D and had FMVs, yet fit all on one disk), this is absolutely them half-assing the postgame.

Welp, turns out you are right. The whole game's size is roughly 340ish mb from what I could find.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It wouldn't make any sense even if they did have space problems, all of those areas already exist in-game. You're just locked from going to them because the postgame happens on a very specific area and for some reason the team behind this game really didn't want the player to deviate from that, despite this being the goddamn postgame.

The postgame shouldn't feel more claustrophobic than the main game, that's ridiculous, but also not the worst thing in this game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So the endgame is just filling out the bestiary? I suppose that's a... fairly average level of bullshit, really.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

"I don't have the energy to put up with idiots. She makes me want to punch kittens."
Yeti's character development from an eager-eyed young child full of nostalgia for a game with pretty sprite art into a jaded bitter ragebeast tempered only by Giver's snark is what kept me coming back to this LP. Storytelling at its finest!

Seriously though, I'd love to see you guys take a crack as Cyber Sleuth or Next Order for your next Digimon game. Neither of them are perfect, but they are worlds better than anything the Digimon franchise has produced before. So you guys might actually... you know... have fun?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I was into CyberSleuth as soon as I saw that one of the starters was Hagurumon Picked him immediately and never looked back.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

BioEnchanted posted:

I was into CyberSleuth as soon as I saw that one of the starters was Hagurumon Picked him immediately and never looked back.

Early-game breaking over your knee? Sign me up.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Kemix posted:

Early-game breaking over your knee? Sign me up.

Not even that, just Hagurumon is always ignored by the anime and relegated to side-character at best so it was nice to be able to give one the spotlight for a change. Agumon and Palmon have had their chance.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

guilmon is the best digimon friend

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

BioEnchanted posted:

BioEnchanted posted:

Not even that, just Hagurumon is always ignored by the anime and relegated to side-character at best so it was nice to be able to give one the spotlight for a change. Agumon and Palmon have had their chance.

Holy poo poo, I thought I was the only one!

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

serefin99 posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought I was the only one!

Don't worry, my card battle decks are all based around him, you're not alone there.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Update 30: gently caress the Card Game
Sub-Title: It's Time to D-D-D-Destroy This loving Game

Really, the title(s) tells you everything you need to know about this update.

So, the thing about the Circuit Board; they didn't bother, y'know, making any new maps for the overworld in the postgame, so all the entrances are in the same place as they were in the full game. That means, of course, that they must have spent all their effort in making the Circuit Board a new, vibrant place with plenty of-

Click for music

Hahaha of course not, gently caress off. The Circuit Board is just as obnoxious as it used to be.

Hooray for consistency!

So, fun fact! I finally managed to find maps of the Circuit Boards in the regular game, including a list of entrances, exits, and the treasure locations. That being said, they're useless! The Circuit Boards in the postgame are entirely different beasts.

They're split up into four different board maps; the one we're in right now is the Black Digimon board, as might be obvious given the Black Digimon right in front of us. This particular Circuit Board is basically just a straight line; there's a few choice paths, but none of them have treasure chests and there's only one screen to a dead-end.

The enemies in here are, uh, kinda eclectic. Just assume that if it's not on the overworld, it's on one of the Circuit Boards; which screen, though (and of course, they vary the encounters per screen) is basically up to luck.

Let's just, uh... deal with... B-Sent Gargoylemon.

what the gently caress.

:psyduck: B-Sent...?

B-Sent Gargoylemon: I'm strong. You're nothing compared to me!
B-Sent Gargoylemon: What? You want to fight me? Are you out of your mind? Very well. I'm going to beat you into mashed potatoes!

Fight is exactly the same as in the first game. The only difference is that the stats are boosted a huge bunch - but my level 99 'mons can wreck poo poo anyway.

Aha, B-Sent Gargoylemon SP went down like a chump.

Next up is BK Imperialdramon. Or, uh, whatever the gently caress it's translated as...

B-IP Doramon: ..Mega Death! If you got a problem with that, leave my presence immediately!
B-IP Doramon: Fool! I gave you a chance to leave and you're still here! You're going to pay for that decision dearly!

Seeing "Mega Death" seriously just triggered me.

Let's just keep going. Thankfully, I have a zero-encounter code, so the game's just tedious instead of tedious AND making me spend a minute in a fight for every thirty seconds of plodding through these boards.

Cheating LPer. For shame.

B Seraphimon: ...been chosen may enter this area. Those without confidence should depart in peace.
B Seraphimon: To pass this point you must first defeat me. Know, however, that I will not be the one to lose this battle.

The thing is, none of these fights are any different - they're exactly the same as before, only with more numbers. And, there's not even any snappy post-fight dialogue; the BK Digimon just disappear once we win.

Our postgame, everyone! It's funny how you expect 'snappy dialogue' in this game. You should temper your expectations.

B MegaroGrowlmon: No one has ever fought me and lived to tell about it!
B MegaroGrowlmon: WHAT? You have the audicity to challenge me? Very well. I will teach you just how pathetic you are.

Good news is, there's just two more to go.

B WarGreymon: ...I'll give you that. However, your quest ends here.
B WarGreymon: You are gravely mistaken to think you can challenge me at your level. But since you insist I will destroy you. Be grateful for my generosity!

No. Nooooooooooooooooooo.

The stupid thing is, the Circuit Board maps are just put together differently. They didn't bother changing any assets or anything. Um... At least the music isn't A.o.A anymore?

also my nemesis returns

B King Numemon: ...B King Numemon, am the B Digimon king! Those who challenge me shall never live to see another day! NumeNume!
B King Numemon: NuNu! You still insist on fighting? Senseless imbecile! Very well, I will show you the fires of Hades! I will hear the sound of you crying in agony!

This time, I'm not putting up with any of his poo poo.

Our reward for making it through this gauntlet of repeat bossfights is a few more Ultimate Weapon crafting materials; Tempest Arm, as well as Old Wand and Rusty Katana if the player didn't grab them before beating Galacticmon. (Remember, those two are the only ones that aren't earned through plot-necessary battles, we get Old Wand from beating Pharaohmon and Rusty Katana from beating Zanbamon, and those two idiots aren't available in the postgame.)

The other nice thing is that the second exit is the screen right above the chest. I am legitimately surprised that the game didn't make us walk all the way back to the original entrance.

Kite's reaction bubble/Yeti's commentary combo.

Yay.

Moving along, this entrance leads us to the Equipment Forging Circuit Board. You can find all the armor digimon here (except those two assholes that are underwater, you need to go to the Seabeds in Central Park-Kicking Forest and Shell Beach for them). Fun fact, there's no more order restriction, so we can get them all in whatever order we so desire. Just have the materials necessary.

This one (the upper part of Plug Cape) leads to the Ultimate Digimon, so you can retrieve the rest of the partners. The rules have changed a little bit; instead of talking to the Agents and then fighting the Digimon with the partners in a certain range of levels, we just need to have all our partners (including the ones in the bank, not just the ones in the active party) at level 45 or above. Once we beat an Ultimate Digimon, we get the partner immediately.

Really? What's the point of having your banked Digimon at a level that isn't a blatant time fill?

Yes, that does mean that once you beat the first Ultimate, you have to go and grind your new partner up to level 45 before you can get the next one. No, this game is not well designed.

...I loving hate this miserable game.

The Circuit Board also has a bunch of the forging materials scattered about.

The final Circuit Board has three entrances; this one, the one in the lower half of Plug Cape, and then the other hole in Central Board.

Good news! We don't have to fight bosses in this one.

BlackAgumon: You're Junior! I always wanted to meet you!
BlackAgumon: OK buddy, let's play cards. I ain't losing to you.

Bad news! We have to play the card game.

There are fifteen NPCs dotting the Circuit Board; five BlackAgumons, five Numemons, and five MetalEtemons. Each of them will give us a card for beating them in the game, and these cards are incredibly powerful. Since we'll be covering the card game section of the postgame, I figured I'll give a quick look at it so you all can see WHY I HATE IT SO MUCH.

Hating card games? Yeti, this is a toy commercial video game. Everyone and the player is supposed to love it!

Pictured: the SINGLE rational thing about this game. It's just trying to call the coinflip.

So, the game itself is stupidly simple. You have a folder of 40 cards, and each round you draw 6 cards from it. Those 6 cards are your hand; you don't get any more that round, though there are a few cards that let you draw more or discard a few.

The first stage of battle is playing Program Cards, which do things to the hand. Stuff like discarding, drawing, things like that. The problem is, and what's displayed here, the game supposedly lets you counter Program Cards with the Freeze Bug Program, but you can only have three cards on the stack. That means that the opponent plays a card -> you counter -> they counter your counter and you're hosed.

Oh, so whoever put down the first card will always win assuming they have the proper PG Card count.

...Hah. That speaks for itself.

So if he summons Celtic Guardian, and I counter with Trap Hole, he can counter me with Seven Tools of the Bandit. I lose the card chain since only 3 is allowed.

This is worse than Forbidden Memories.

After both the player and the NPC opponent don't play a Program Card, you summon Digimon (seen here). The attack and defenses are totaled for each side, and then more Program Cards are played. What you see here is the opponent trying to destroy one of my Digimon, me trying to counter it with Freeze Bug, and then my counter being countered.

gently caress this game.

After that round of Program Cards, the clash happens. Whoever has more HP left at the end wins.

gently caress this game

Hah, all your Digimon are brown. BYE YETI! You got hit with Brown Raigeki!

gently caress THIS GAME

Draw? Nah, you lose. gently caress OFF.

See, right here is the hot bullshit that makes the card game a pain in my rear end. See, the NPC has two win conditions - have more HP than you, or have EQUAL HP to you. That means, essentially, that 'gently caress you, nuke the board' is a valid strategy for the computer to follow. Meanwhile, the player has only one condition - have more HP than the opponent.

gently caress.

Hooray for fairness!

There's one good thing about this Circuit Board, and that's that it leads you to another chest.

Yay.

This is the fastest way to get to the chest; it's just a few screens away.

Anyway. With the 15 best cards in our pocket, and with all the Circuit Boards explored, it's time for hell.

Somebody help us. This is too much. :smith:

Click for music

I'd say the music is good, but we never get to hear it, since we're ALWAYS PLAYING CARD GAMES.

Tamer Haruka: I will not allow you to proceed!
Tamer Haruka: You dare challenge me? Not knowing one's limits can be called bravery, I suppose.

Haruka's deck is a white deck, so she loves saying 'gently caress anything that's not a White card'. Pictured: me swearing at the game because that Program she just played lets her remove three cards from my deck because gently caress YOU THAT'S WHY.

Oh poo poo. She's running Lightsworn.

The winning strategy here is to use a White deck.

Tamer Haruka: And be grateful for my generosity!

I will slaughter you in your sleep.

Why in her sleep? Don't be a pussy, Yeti.

I will slaughter her wherever the gently caress I can, her sleep is probably just the easiest.

Next up on the rear end in a top hat train is this idiot.

Tamer Poemy: Please cease and desist your progression!
Tamer Poemy: You insist on passing? I, however, cannot withdraw from my position. Oh, the tragedy! This is truly a love story of romantic proportions!

As opposed to a love story of... comedy proportions? What would that be, anyway? Every sitcom ever?

If this was a sitcom, it'd be a better game.

Poemy's deck is Black, with an emphasis on hand denial. A lot of his (her?) cards attack your hand and deck instead of the battlefield itself.

Pictured: the game's little gently caress you. Also pictured: a second before I loaded a save state because hahaha guess what my counter got countered again.

poo poo. He/Shes using Card Destruction.

The winning strategy is to use a Black deck and spam Darkness Gale whenever possible to screw over the NPC.

Tamer Poemy: I will always be with you in spirit!

This is about the point that I was incredibly tempted to look into developing a walk through walls cheat code for the game.

More effort than the game deserves.

This was the point that I wanted to just claw my eyes out and not have to read this lovely dialogue.

Tamer Pierre: ...pass here... oh non non!
Tamer Pierre: If you absolument insist, you must defeat moi! One match, s'il vous plait!

Yeti, please. The dialogue has always been poo poo. WHERE IS YOUR TOLERANCE.

Pierre's deck is a blue deck, focusing mainly around stealing your Digimon and battlefield control.

Pictured: half a second before the game bounces all my Digimon back to my hand. What's that? I have a Freeze Bug? So does he.

poo poo, he spams Change of Heart.

The winning strategy is to use a Black deck and spam Darkness Gale whenever possible to screw over the NPC.

Tamer Pierre: Very well, you may pass.

Tamer Pierre: ...your battle with the King. Au Revoir!

They're a blight on this world and I want them to burn.

A way of marketing to kids to take more of their parent's money.

Tamer Bomuji: I have thought long and hard on this, but to no avail.
Tamer Bomuji: I'm sorry, but I cannot allow you to pass here yet. If you must, you will have to defeat me.

Bomuji's deck is a Red deck, focusing on destroying our Digimon with powerful Programs once they're on the field.

Pictured: me pulling a Giver.

See, the NPCs don't actually have, y'know, AI or anything like that. What they have is a series of instructions that they follow.

The game itself isn't actually a game, so much as it's a puzzle that you have to solve and then hope that the RNG doesn't gently caress you over when trying to implement your solution. The NPC draws are always the same, and they always make the exact same move every time. This is where my winning move here comes in; right before this, it had been 0/0 to 0/0 - the NPC's program had just dealt 60 to all of my cards, killing everything. If the NPC had just not moved, I would have lost the match. Instead, because the instructions said 'summon a Goburimon', they did so - and I stole the card. It can't kill me, because the last card in its hand only deals damage to non-Red Digimon.

Oh gently caress yes. You channel my skills, Yeti! Create shock and awe as you masterfully use their own strategies against them by pointing out every single flaw! :c00lbert:

Basically, gently caress you game you piece of poo poo, try not cheating for once.

Also as a little gently caress you, every single draw from the NPC contains a Freeze Bug. Hope you have one of your own, or your Program's getting cancelled.

Tamer Bomjui: Very well. You may proceed!

gently caress you, game. gently caress you.

We already did. We figured out your bullshit.

Granted, most of that strength is courtesy of the 99 copies of every card in the game from the save file.

Tamer Alice: You... want... passage. No! You... must... defeat me... at... cards... to... pass.

Ellipses... Ellipses... Are... A... Wonderful... Thing... Yes... Indeed...

Alice's deck is a Black Deck.

Pictured: literally her first card.

gently caress this game.

Hahahahaha, they cheat just like Forbidden Memories. Hahahahahaha.

The winning strategy is to use a Black deck and spam Darkness Gale whenever possible to screw over the NPC. Also go first otherwise you're hosed.

Oh poo poo it's Elvis we're about to play cards against Elvis.

In a shocking twist that nobody saw coming (unless they paid attention to the last... two images?) the King is actually Keith. Fucker.

Hah, the guy you said was just like me earlier is the most powerful card-master. Eat poo poo, Yeti.

Keith: ...luck ends here! Let me explain it to you. You see, the Card King-that would be me-is perfect! I'm simply too cool to lose, capiche?
Keith: You got it? Alright then, let's go!

Keith's deck is just all-around powerful. He uses basically every technique; hand denial, field control, so on and so forth.

Pictured: him using Darkness Gale because get hosed, game, I hate you.

GO KEITH!

Notice a trend?

Keith: You are inextricably unbelievable! Here, take this. It's the KoC Trophy. It's proof that you beat the Card King! But the real battle's only just begun! Good luck!

So.

Our reward for beating all these idiots is a completely useless Key Item that does nothing.

Also, Kite is now the holder of the KoC Trophy. I just want to let that sink in.

I hate this game. Just... hate, straight from zero to sixty.

And Yeti's character development is finally complete.

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 4, 2017

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Digi A to LL
CHAMPION

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I remember actually having fun with the card game, but I also never got this far, I only played with the opponents you get during the story. That said, it's much worse than the alternative (Digital Card Battle, also for PS1) which is a really fun game.

Talking about DCB, what annoys me the most about this particular card game is the sheer laziness when it comes to artwork. You can see it in the images, there's two types of card: cards with a good background and extremely shrunk models on a black background. The reason for this is that the former are taken straight from DCB (with some changing names and effects completely, like Dark Sevens becoming Darkness Gale) while the latter were made for this game...as cheaply as they could. They look very ugly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Black Saint Gargoylemon, maybe?

This update made me want to replay Digital Card Battle.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 4, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Black Saint Gargoylemon, maybe?

Black Saint Galgomon, actually, but this translation is awful. Not only it can't be arsed to be consistent (the correct dub name would be BlackMegaGargomon), it can't even romanize properly (Sent was blatantly Saint). Ga(l/r)go becoming gargoyle...I can see why it happened since the other Gargomon is indeed Gargoylemon in the dub but it by no means should have happened.

Also stupid: garururu. You couldn't be arsed to translate a goddamn growl? Seriously? I'm willing to ignore BlackMegaroGrowlmon (should be BlackWarGrowlmon if in dub, and even if you want a straight translation it'd be BlackMegaloGrowmon) but c'mon, that's not even bad romanization, that's just lazy.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm willing to ignore BlackMegaroGrowlmon (should be BlackWarGrowlmon if in dub, and even if you want a straight translation it'd be BlackMegaloGrowmon)
Early Digimon games had real trouble with consistent name translations. Goblimon being Goburimon in several games springs to mind.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Blaze Dragon posted:

That said, it's much worse than the alternative (Digital Card Battle, also for PS1) which is a really fun game.
I still say that game should be what these two do after this. :v:

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

The best part about that translation shitstorm is that earlier in the game, they get it right. Remember, it's BK MegaGargomon when we fought him in update 17 (though granted, that was the US translation; the UK version might be different, though I doubt it because the devs were so loving lazy.)

Yapping Eevee posted:

I still say that game should be what these two do after this. :v:

Don't you dare give him ideas :argh:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

GeneralYeti posted:

You're right. Digital Card Battle is actually good, so you need a bad game to play instead. Maybe Digimon World 2?

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

GeneralYeti posted:

Haifisch posted:

You're right. Digital Card Battle is actually good, so you need a bad game to play instead. Maybe Digimon World 2?
Now that's just mean.

And yeah, as someone who played the entirety of DCB when they were younger, I can safely say that it's the best card-based videogame I've played.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Digital Card Battle is impressive because it's both a good card game and a good Digimon game, both things that very rarely happen, the latter especially.

It's a game I've always wanted to LP and show, but I can't think of any way to make a card game interesting to the readers. Still, if I ever did my own LP, it would probably be of that game, I really, really like it.

Except the Garurumon fight, he can go to Hell.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Never play dw2

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

No, it's still better than this. Actually came up with an interesting premise for the game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
DW2 had a great soundtrack, and I still attach notable nostalgia value to it so even with all its flaws I can't subjectively say it's bad.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Kemix posted:

No, it's still better than this. Actually came up with an interesting premise for the game.

never play any Digimon World

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

:frogout:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Do, however, play the Digimon Story games, they're mostly "okay" rather than awful, and Cyber Sleuth is apparently very good! I just can't be arsed to buy it because Hacker's Memory is going to come with it included anyways.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Except the Garurumon fight, he can go to Hell.

Counterattack! :shepicide:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Thanks for never bothering with the card game until now.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

hey

hey guys

get us to a new page

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh boy, new insanity. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU