Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
A quick overview of the different Digimon
(or, my last-ditch attempt to get Balanced to win)

Kotemon
EXP gain: Average
Kotemon is the jack-of-all-trades Digimon, with above-average stats in everything. Naturally, he gets a bunch of blade-based evolutions (which culminates into the best Digimon of all time) and moves.
Pros: Good at absolutely everything
Bad: Only average EXP gain?

Kumamon
EXP gain: Slowest
Kumamon is garbage. The worst. Kumamon exchanges MP for high attack and speed. Problem is, Kumamon cannot equip two-handed weapons unlike everyone else which means that he falls far, far behind on the power curve, not only because two-handed weapons are broken as poo poo, but that he also has the slowest levelling out of the entire cast.
Pros: A bear
Cons: Everything else

Monmon
EXP gain: Fastest
Monkey D Luffy here is amazing. Skills focus on elemental weaknesses so Monmon will almost always be able to deal good damage. Highest stat is speed, which is great because Speed is the most important stat to raise in the game.
Pros: Good at everything
Cons: Evolution tree kinda boring??

Renamon
EXP gain: Fast
Renamon is the best magic user in the game (and thanks to it being able to equip halberds, a better physical attacker than Kumamon). Renamon levels up fast, is quick, deals a lot of damage, but can't take a hit.
Pros: Quick Mega access, best mage
Cons: Frail, magic pales in comparison to physical attacks

Patamon
EXP gain: Slow
Patamon, on the other hand, is the worst magic user. Patamon is the designated white mage of the cast. It has high defenses, but it's slow, and in DW3, speed is always a better choice than defenses. Kotemon is the better healer.
Pros: Good during the Rookie stage of the game, not Kumamon
Cons: Viability drops drastically after that.

Agumon
EXP gain: Slow
Agumon is the final mage. Agumon has a much better evolution tree than Patamon, but is also fairly slow. He's okay, I guess.
Pros: Good evolution tree, good set of equipment, fairly powerful
Cons: Slow, levels up slowly

Guilmon
EXP gain: Fast
Guilmon is weird. Guilmon gains a variety of buffs and stealing techs, but lacks the good techs to use them effectively. A decent pick, regardless.
Pros: Fast leveling, good set of equipment.
Cons: Bad set of techs, stats could be better.

Additionally, avatars I made for an old LP attempt at this game

The 5 servers mentioned in the update? Yamato Server appears in Digimon World 4 as what became the Doom Server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

Gonna go for Balance pack and name the dumb kid Ash

Anonipan1
Mar 2, 2015
Gotta go for Balanced Pack no care for the name

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
Name your character Jerry and choose the Balanced Pack, and make it your goal to acquire a Leomon in this game.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

GodofDiscord posted:

Name your character Jerry and choose the Balanced Pack, and make it your goal to acquire a Leomon in this game.

If you want a Leomon, the fastest way to get one is to choose the Maniac pack. Just so you know.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Grab the Balanced Pack and name yourself Ash!

edit: There's also this gem of a digimon game from the PS1 era:

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 17, 2016

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH
Well, isn't it obvious? He should be named Kirisame, because Digimon is all about Power!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Oh that one was a fun fighter even if it's small by modern standards. Fourteen playable fighters not counting Digivolutions, the roster consists of characters from the Adventure and Tamers universes.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Numemon isn't literal poo poo. That's Sukamon. Numemon is a puddle of slime who is similar in being a you-hosed-up-Mon but is not literal poo poo. He evolves into Monzaemon, which is a plus.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Alright, folks, voting is now closed. Thanks to everyone that submitted. After counting up the votes, looks like we're gonna be Kite, using the Balanced pack.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

alcharagia posted:

Numemon isn't literal poo poo. That's Sukamon. Numemon is a puddle of slime who is similar in being a you-hosed-up-Mon but is not literal poo poo. He evolves into Monzaemon, which is a plus.

Technically speaking, Numemon's a slug with its Type even being Mollusk. There's even a snail variant of it called KaratsukiNumemon:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Do you think you could link this game's music where appropriate? One unabashedly good thing this game does have is its OST, imo.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Genocyber posted:

Do you think you could link this game's music where appropriate? One unabashedly good thing this game does have is its OST, imo.
Here's what we've got so far:

Ambience:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFYtiJxNEjA - Kusanagi Street Corner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efL79MfP94w - Login room

Actual music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkKN5nXnmdI - Online Center
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-IOP3Ix6lQ . Main Lobby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I14UElW8tyM - Battle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEYzTf77_PM - Lamb Chop/Yellow Cruiser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUgaMwIY06c - Asuka City/Start screen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_7n4iVM1l0 - Inn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcGM79uKwiY - Save Screen

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Genocyber posted:

That seems to be the running theme for both of the LPs they're doing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ephraim225 posted:

What happened to it, anyways? Images all disappeared?

Anyways, you're all gonna vote for the maniac pack for obvious reasons so I may as well go with the crowd.

No, I think it was just pruned from the archive along with a few others for reasons.

Chimera-gui posted:

Technically speaking, Numemon's a slug with its Type even being Mollusk. There's even a snail variant of it called KaratsukiNumemon:

Numemon has the best line ever;

The king of the poop snails.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Nuebot posted:

Numemon has the best line ever;

The king of the poop snails.

Oh yeah, BlackKingNumemon. The Mega Level stage is even more loving hilarious:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh man, DW3. I'm a giant Digimon fan and I'll say this outright: the only good Digimon games are Rumble Arena and Digital Card Battle (and I've heard Cyber Sleuth is good but I can't play it). This? This is not a good game. This is something that gets close to a good game, and then screws up massively and becomes nearly unplayable. It has one of the worst exp curves I've ever seen, which is 100% of the time against the player, with several extreme difficulty spikes that the game expects you to beat through tedious grinding because nothing, nothing, gives good exp.

The plot is nice. The characters are bland, but the designs are pretty neat. The battle system is actually quite nice despite not telling you poo poo about some of its factors (don't ever expect something to point out which elements are good against what). But that exp curve, oh god that exp curve.

And yet? I love this game. I can't play it. I beat it as a kid, but every time I try to do so now, I lose my interest at a specific moment where the game just decides to kick you constantly in the balls, so you'll either die or learn to kill any attempt at pleasure you might have in exchange for absolute grinding forever. How I beat it as a kid, I don't know, and I don't think I'll ever know. But I still enjoy it far more than other Digimon games (excluding the actually good ones mentioned above) because it isn't bland like the DS games, it isn't a mess like the first World, it isn't a dungeon crawler like DW2 and it isn't the gigantic loving terrible poo poo that is DW4. It's beyond grindy, but it rewards your boredom with actual fun, if you can get through it. And yet, I can't call it good - it's something that genuinely comes really close to being good, then fails utterly. And in that failure, many LPs have died. Please break that curse, GeneralYeti, I truly want to see the games of my childhood in the LP Archive and even moreso if they're games I genuinely enjoyed back then regardless of quality (this is not Forbidden Memories - even as a kid I knew that wasn't good).

Having given all of that, I feel the need to post the original opening to this game, because I like it quite a bit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxClZxjgZ4E

Adding the sound effects to that would make the best version, honestly. Also I fully recommend the full version, Miracle Maker is a great song.

And with all of that said...Yeti, why the hell are you not playing the PAL version? You won't be able to actually complete the game!

...Oh, and I guess I should vote...

giver336 posted:

I vote the character be named DumbYeti. Also, yes, Manic pack.

...that'll do.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh man, DW3. I'm a giant Digimon fan and I'll say this outright: the only good Digimon games are Rumble Arena and Digital Card Battle (and I've heard Cyber Sleuth is good but I can't play it). This? This is not a good game. This is something that gets close to a good game, and then screws up massively and becomes nearly unplayable. It has one of the worst exp curves I've ever seen, which is 100% of the time against the player, with several extreme difficulty spikes that the game expects you to beat through tedious grinding because nothing, nothing, gives good exp.

I can confirm that Cyber Sleuth is a good game (provided that you know how to cut grinding down by about 95%). Coincidentally PlatinumNumemon is part of how you do that.

This game always seemed really cool because of the amount of Digimon that you could get and you didn't have to keep on raising them every couple of hours because the little idiot somehow poo poo all of its nutrients. The way that the techniques worked where you can swap them in and out added to wanting to get as many Digimon as possible to have a varied team.

But getting down to the real issue, what's the over-under on Yeti calling it quits because the game such a grinding mess? I'd set it just after gym 2.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
This is one of the games I really loved when I was a kid, but going back to it now...I'm not so sure anymore.

I still think it's better than the other 2 Digimon Games to come before it, mainly because I found Digimon 1's mechanics to be very annoying and made even worse by the poor translation, and 2 was repetitive and looked atrocious for a game that saved on disk space by having every dungeon look exactly the same.

This game at least has a good plot as 90's JRPGs go, and the Digievolutions you can get are really sweet. The combat system and the grinding however...

Also, I disagree. SAVING IN THIS GAME DESERVES TO BE SHOWN. In a game where moving one screen too far can mean getting rekt by the local fauna, you are also being punished for being extra cautious and saving frequently by having to sit through something around 25-30 seconds of watching the saving bar slowly make progress.

There is also a weird bug related to saving when playing on an emulator (ePSXe at least). Going too long without restarting the game properly (ie. using Savestates) will cause the maps to not load properly. This can be fixed easily by saving, going to the start menu and loading...except when it happens in the middle of a dungeon!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Blue Ghost posted:

I can confirm that Cyber Sleuth is a good game (provided that you know how to cut grinding down by about 95%). Coincidentally PlatinumNumemon is part of how you do that.

Even if you reduce the grinding Cyber Sleuth has a huge problem with how it handles the evolutions. You need to meet super specific stats and conditions, some of which are literally impossible to meet on all the things that can potentially evolve into the one you want without min/max bullshit that takes IRL hours of waiting to accomplish due to the really stupid farm mechanic. This is all because every digimon has a set max stat cap and at best you can give them like 25 bonus points from the farm or something. It's just really annoying considering the predecessors to this let you grind digimon to 999 in every stat if you really wanted, so it means using anything but the highest form available to you is just crippling your team's fighting strength. But they kept the degenerating level cap raising bullshit even though there's no actual stat gains from it after a certain point for most digimon. Also the attack variety is kind of terrible, not that you generally use anything besides your digimon's signature attacks in most cases anyway. :shrug: It just feels like a step back from Dusk/Dawn in nearly every way in terms of gameplay and that's really disappointing.

Blaze Dragon posted:

And with all of that said...Yeti, why the hell are you not playing the PAL version? You won't be able to actually complete the game
:eyepop: I assume this is a spoiler of some kind, but if possible could you elaborate? This is the only Digimon World game I've never really played for more than an hour and I would love to know what kind of gamebreaking glitch this one has. These games don't seem to have much luck when it comes to bugs.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Hm, and here I was thinking of suggesting Giver336 and Power

I'll go with DumbYeti though

Unless voting is up, Timezones are weird

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Nuebot posted:

:eyepop: I assume this is a spoiler of some kind, but if possible could you elaborate? This is the only Digimon World game I've never really played for more than an hour and I would love to know what kind of gamebreaking glitch this one has. These games don't seem to have much luck when it comes to bugs.

None that I know of, but PAL version has a postgame with some extra stuff to do.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Even if you reduce the grinding Cyber Sleuth has a huge problem with how it handles the evolutions. You need to meet super specific stats and conditions, some of which are literally impossible to meet on all the things that can potentially evolve into the one you want without min/max bullshit that takes IRL hours of waiting to accomplish due to the really stupid farm mechanic. This is all because every digimon has a set max stat cap and at best you can give them like 25 bonus points from the farm or something. It's just really annoying considering the predecessors to this let you grind digimon to 999 in every stat if you really wanted, so it means using anything but the highest form available to you is just crippling your team's fighting strength. But they kept the degenerating level cap raising bullshit even though there's no actual stat gains from it after a certain point for most digimon. Also the attack variety is kind of terrible, not that you generally use anything besides your digimon's signature attacks in most cases anyway. :shrug: It just feels like a step back from Dusk/Dawn in nearly every way in terms of gameplay and that's really disappointing.

That is a fair criticism (but there is only one Digimon that has to be done this way) and I will admit that I was salty when after de-evolving a Digimon and its stats were the same as it was before with the only changes due to training. Speaking of training, the training in this game is luck based and you have a limited resource to train so if you roll poorly then you it's either reload or stay with the less than great stats.

lezard_valeth posted:

None that I know of, but PAL version has a postgame with some extra stuff to do.

There is an item that doesn't always activate, fishing isn't infinite without leave the screen and you can't do more that 9999 damage a turn in Pal. These are just a few of the differences.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Maniac Pack, It's got two of my favorite rookie designs in it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nuebot posted:

It isn't a glitch, just the NTSC version lacks the postgame for some reason. Basically, the NTSC version ends after Giovanni, the PAL version lets you challenge the Elite Four.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
NTSC is most likely based on a earlier revision, which is why it has a lot more beneficial glitches as well.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Maniac If you're having fun you're doing it wrong.

Chisato is the hero we deserve.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

GeneralYeti posted:

Alright, folks, voting is now closed. Thanks to everyone that submitted. After counting up the votes, looks like we're gonna be Kite, using the Balanced pack.

People might have missed this, earlier. On Sunday.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
I demand a recount.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

giver336 posted:

I demand a recount.

No it was right the first time. We never get to see Kotemon when people try this LP.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

MarquiseMindfang posted:

No it was right the first time. We never get to see Kotemon when people try this LP.

Formal protest.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Digimon Cyber Sleuth might be the first ever good digimon videogame.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

corn in the bible posted:

As much as I have nostalgia for this game, I would actually have to agree with this statement.

Cyber Sleuth's real good, you guys

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Digimon always had the better show, but good god, the games are terrible.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Digimon always had the better show, but good god, the games are terrible.

I will protest to the end of my life that Digimon World 1 was somehow, accidentally amazing. It was like a game made entirely of every weird playground rumour brought to life. "There's a 2% chance of this digimon appearing every time you enter this screen." "Take a baby to Freezeland and let it pass out." "You can fish up a goddamn sea dragon."

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Well, ok, I lied, there's also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vli0jcfAO3M

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rumble Arena and especially Digital Card Battle were great games and came far before Cyber Sleuth. Everything else is from mediocre to terrible, though.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Rumble Arena and especially Digital Card Battle were great games and came far before Cyber Sleuth. Everything else is from mediocre to terrible, though.

Rumble Arena is entertaining for a couple of battles but gets boring and repetitive very quickly. Card battle is great right up till the end when the final boss straight up cheats by opening a command window and rearranging your deck so at minimum your partner cards are on the very bottom. I not sure if it also messes with how the rest of your cards show up but I have never finished the game because of it.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

mateo360 posted:

Rumble Arena is entertaining for a couple of battles but gets boring and repetitive very quickly.

Pretty much, I imagine it'd be more fun with a second player it does suffer from the same problem that all fighting games do in that the single player mode gets repetitive very quickly, especially if you're trying to unlock everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Cyber Sleuth is really great. Needs more unique locale graphics, rather than the bulk of the digital stuff looking the same in one of like 3 ways, as well as fewer random generic fetch quests. That digivolution system is top loving notch, however.

I really have fond memories of this one, what with the more traditional JRPG aspect. The card game can go gently caress itself, though, along with some of the arcane requirements for some of the digivolutions. And All. The. Loading. Screens. Finishing redoing that faq is on my eternal to do list under "things I think about doing but realistically never will"

The actual card battle game is awesome, though.

• Locked thread