Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Never before have I played a game that I both equally enjoyed and hated.

gently caress Garurumon. :argh:

The entire line is a massive pain in the rear end and a gigantic difficulty spike that thankfully only lasts for their fights. As someone who loves DCB, I second this: gently caress Garurumon. And even moreso, gently caress whoever decided that you needed to face both him and MetalGarurumon twice in a game where forced rematches aren't that common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Oh hey, a new page! That's as good an excuse as any, right?

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Update 3: MMO Sidequests

Anyway, now that we've got some Digivolutions, let's go over how they work. To start out with a Digivolution active, just go into the Status menu and turn it on. The one that's in blue is the one you'll start out as.

Now, let's just get into a random battle and...

...FUCKER. Okay, okay, fine, game. I'll show off Ambushes and the DV menu instead. Christ.

See, when you're ambushed you start out as your base Rookie form. You've got three Megas? You're in the final area of the game? You get ambushed? Too loving bad, back to a Kotemon for you. So instead, you have to burn a turn Digivolving.

Which, to be fair, is pretty rad. I like the wireframes.

Anyway, what should have happened was that I just started out as Dinohumon, but NO the game just had to go and ruin that for me. Jerk.

Yeah, okay, I like that.

Click for ambience!

Now that we're level 5, we can head over this way - the west exit of Central Park, the one by Leomon's Gym. This is Plug Cape, and there's one and exactly one important thing here.

It is that hole.

...which makes you pay a toll.

Nah, it's this dork here.

The kid runs up and kicks a tree. Something I wish I could do right now gently caress YOU PATAMON

Leave Pikachu alone! Thread, I need you to give Yeti a stern talking to about treating his Pokemon right. Better we intervene before PETA does.

Soccer Kid Hide: Man, Cardmon isn't coming out... And why did I lose Gabumon...

Soccer Kid Hide: Huh? Did you ask why am I kicking the trees?

Giver, did he ask why is the kid kicking the trees?

I dunno, but we should ask again to be sure.

Oh yes, that naturally follows.

Kite: Cardmon? What's that? A Digimon?
Soccer Kid Hide: Cardmon is a Digimon that drops Boosters with extra cards in it. Only Divermon in the city can open the boosters.

Kite: Cardmon drops Boosters?!

Kite is all over that poo poo.

It's Angel Dust, naturally.

Soccer Kid Hide: Heh heh heh. You need Tree Boots to kick them. So, you probably want to get the boots. Well then... I lost my Gabumon card, will you find it?
Soccer Kid Hide: If you find it I'll tell you how to get the boots.

I was going to transcribe Kite's line, but I figured no one would believe me that the game actually had that text.

So you need Tree Boots to kick Cardmon to get Boosters so you can go to Divermon to boost your poo poo? loving hell, this IS an MMO.

We just got a literal fetch quest, I'm not exactly sure what else you were expecting.

We will also be performing a magic trick with this kid's card. Either that or petty larceny, one of the two.

Exploring the rest of this area is kind of dangerous, for one reason, but I'm feeling pretty lucky.

poo poo THIS IS NOT WHAT I WANTED.

Name: Coelamon
Level: Champion
Asuka South - Bulk Swamp, Bios Swamp, Tranquil Swamp, Bulk Bridge, Jungle Grave

Fishing: Asuka Central - Central Park, Plug Cape, Shell Beach, Wire Forest Entrance
Asuka South - West Wire Forest, East Wire Forest, Wind Prairie

Drops: Water Chip

3 STR, 3 DEF, 3 SPR, 3 WIS, 3 SPD,
3 FIRE, 3 WATER, 1 ICE, 2 WIND, 1 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 40, BIT: 80

Regular Attack: Water Element
Technique: None

This fucker right here is why you want to be at least level 5 before you come to Plug Cape. He hits like a truck, and has a ton of health.

Carvanha no

For example, that's one physical attack from Dinohumon (when they're Digivolved, I'll use their Digivolution form's name to keep them straight). That same attack can one-shot Kuwagamon and Betamon.

Coelamon is a fucker, but he does about as much to Dinohumon in one hit and I'm pretty sure I'm faster than him. I can probably win this.

Not if THAT happens!

:rolldice:

Ah, here we go. Dinohumon gained a Skill Level!

There's actually a hidden stat associated with each battle called DV EXP. Each battle gives you an amount of DV EXP from 1 to 10; once your Digivolution gets to a certain level of DV EXP, it goes up a skill level. There are tiers associated with each Digivolution: Dinohumon, Angemon, and Kyubimon are all Tier 1, so will take 10 DV for every level up to level 99. That is, 980 DV EXP to fully level up.

The problem with DV, and why I'm not listing it in the short enemy bios, is that it also depends on your Rookie's level. As the Rookie level goes up, the DV gained from battling an enemy goes down. Kunemon and Tapirmon are special in that they always give 1 DV EXP.

Which is why I really shouldn't be fighting Coelamon right now - it gave me either 9 or 10 DV, since Dinohumon leveled up. I... I'm gonna get out of here.

It's called a Challenge Run. Stop being a bitch.

Conga, conga, conga.

PIKACHU! YOU'RE LAGGING AGAIN.

Pikachu is now riding on Shovel Knight's head, because he's a lazy gently caress.

Let's get the hell out of here! Also this is a ledge - it's one way, since we can't climb sheer cliffs.

Ah, Shell Beach. A much nicer locale (the south exit to Central Park) with 100% less Coelamon.

It's kinda nice - also, I'm pretty sure those are banana boats :v:

Throw them off the boat! Make them swim with the fishes.

On your right, you'll see the namesake of the beach.

Anyway, this area introduces something pretty neat - encounter pools that differ based on where you're standing. Up here on the grassy area, Betamon and Vegiemon rule the roost:

Name: Vegiemon
Asuka East - Kicking Forest

Drops: None

3 STR, 3 DEF, 3 SPR, 3 WIS, 4 SPD,
1 FIRE, 3 WATER, 2 ICE, 3 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 1 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 20, BIT: 40

Regular Attack: No Element

(It says you can fight them in Plug Cape but I've never encountered one there.)

...but head on to the beach, and you're only fighting one enemy.

drat, Weepingbell, what happened?

Gizamon. Who, despite his appearance, isn't very threatening in the slightest.

Name: Gizamon
Level: Rookie
Asuka East - Kicking Forest

3 FIRE, 3 WATER, 1 ICE, 2 WIND, 1 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 19, BIT: 40

Weak to Ice and Thunder - Renamon can kill these things in one hit. Failing that, two regular attacks should knock them out.

Sandslash seems to have an all right attack level, at least.

Tai Kong Wang: How about it? If you want to fish you need a pole, string, and a hook. Then I'll make you a fishing pole.

You might have noticed that Coelamon's bio had fishing encounter spots too. That's because of this - we'll be getting a fishing pole from this old guy as soon as we have the ingredients.

In the meantime, however, Gizamon give us 5+ DV EXP per fight with them. So!

Grinding session #3 highlights

Dinohumon got his first Tech. While Rookies come with their Finisher learned, Champion and up have to hit a certain level to use them. This isn't Dinohumon's Finisher, it's just a fire-type physical move.

loving PATAMON you useless flying rat you can't even kill a loving Gizamon in two hits I hate you.

Ground > Electric, dude.

He's Flying type right now, though, see the wings?

The Champions all learn their first tech at level 5. Angemon's Tech is just a Wind-elemental Magic attack. At least it looks pretty?

I'm actually a fan of Kyubimon's design. Don't know why.

Holy poo poo, is this Naruto we're ripping off of, now?

Grind Session #3 over

Of course, now that everyone is level 7, there's some TP burning a hole in my pocket. Let's go fix that, shall we?

Training #3 Results:

Renamon: Speed +33, Spirit +33
Patamon: Speed +67
Kotemon: Power +65

This is also known as 'That time where I figured out I needed to raise Patamon's speed'.

Now that we've gone through and done what we can do in Central Park, let's head back to Asuka City.

First stop is that trio of barrels in Gatomon's Inn. Somehow, between when we examined it the first time and now, a Gabumon card has magically spawned.

After that, we're gonna head through that underground tunnel again (seriously, who designed this town?) and go back to El Dorado, the blue building next to the Yellow Cruiser. Last time, some jerk immediately banned us because our Digimon weren't cool enough.

Not so tough now, are you?!

This is because of a secret (well, secret-ish) sixth stat called Charisma. You might have seen it in the training screenshots; it's a few sparkles. You increase Charisma by leveling up, Digivolving, and equipping equipment. We got kicked out before because we only had 3 total Charisma, but now that we have 60+ the El Dorado mooks are more than willing to let us through. Charisma also affects who will Card Battle you, but screw Card Battling.

Ponchomon: This is an Item Maniac's El Dorado! ...You're cool. I'll give you an El Dorado ID.

Thanks, guy.

...No. Please stop talking.

So let's check out El Dorado! There is exactly nothing to do here.

loving stop blocking the stairway!

You might notice the Dramon Destroyers (the orange claws) as well as the Transcendent Sword and Supreme Cannon. I don't know the third item on the lower half of El Dorado, but I'm pretty sure it's a reference to something.

Edit courtesy of goons:
On the counter on the right as we walk in, from left to right it's MagnaAngemon's helmet, Angewomon's helmet, and a Holy Ring on the pedestal (That's the ring around Gatomon's tail, or the one Salamon wears as a collar). Crossed on the wall are the weapons of MagnaAngemon and Angewomon, Excalibur the purple beam sword and an unnamed bow respectively. Behind Ponchomon is the Dramon Destroyers, as well as WarGreymon's Brave Shield (so named because of the Crest of Courage on it). Beside them is MetalGarurumon's head. The third item I couldn't name was Imperialdramon's helmet. Also - something I saw but never pointed out - on the wall to the right is the official Bandai art of MetalGarurumon, WarGreymon, Impmon, and Calumon from left to right. Neat little callbacks to Seasons 1 through 3!

Good Girl Kimmy: Then you're like me!

Gamer Hiroshi: But this Digimon Online is great! I was really surprised.

Programmer Eddy: So it's important to know the features of each weapon.

For some reason, Hiroshi reminds me of Giver (some fat jerk, I mean) so let's get out of here.

Up your rear end in broken glass.

This is the Water Tunnel - there's nothing here, unfortunately.

Jaws 3 flashbacks.

But it looks pretty :shobon:

The Water Tunnel leads us into the lower floor of the Clock Tower...

:siren: Motherfuckers what are you doing!? Get on this lift!

...but despite pressing the button, nothing new is here either.

By the way, for those playing along - make sure you purchase a Bamboo Spear from the Armory, even if you're not going to use it! It's important!

Silly Yeti, no-one's playing this game.

Now, back to Plug Cape, since we found that kid's Gabumon card.

First, for no particular reason I'm going to stuff it into my folder.

Soccer Kid Hide: You really found it! Thanks!
Soccer Kid Hide: OK, I'll tell you about the Tree Boots, now. You can get it if you become friends with Veemon. But Veemon is so unpredictable, he's hard to find.

Well, poo poo. How are we gonna find Veemon?

Look it up online...AH, poo poo.

Because Lamb Chop is awesome music.

If you said 'Go talk to Waitress Debbie despite no other NPCs having changed dialogue and with no hints to do so', congrats! This game, sometimes.

You're supposed to hit on the waitress, though.

Waitress Debbie: He was looking for something at Wind Prairie.

Well, that's it for us. By the way, the reason I put the Gabumon card in the folder? When you talk to Hide, the game removes a Gabumon card from the pack. But, the game sets the flag for progressing the sidequest when you collect the card from the barrels. I took advantage of that to stuff the card in my folder instead, so when it searched for the card in the pack it didn't find anything.

In other words, we stole the card from the kid :v:

Learning from the best, huh, Yeti?

Whatever you're babbling about, you're wrong.

Next time: Actual progress. I promise.

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 25, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The third item down at the bottom floor of El Dorado is Imperialdramon's helmet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Maybe I didn't get far enough in this game to get one, assuming there's a fast transport, but it'd be nice if the game that was heavily cribbing off of Pokémon gave you a bike or something.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Maybe I didn't get far enough in this game to get one, assuming there's a fast transport, but it'd be nice if the game that was heavily cribbing off of Pokémon gave you a bike or something.

There's no fast travel but there are 2 alternate means of getting around that might get you places faster if you have a bunch of maps on hand.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

There's more in El Dorado than just the items GeneralYeti pointed out: the entry has Angewomon and HolyAngemon's helmets, HolyAngemon's Excalibur and a Holy Ring. Behind the counter there's WarGreymon's Brave Shield and MetalGarurumon's head. To the right of the stairs are the Bandai artworks of MetalGarurumon, WarGreymon, Impmon and Calumon.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It doesn't but I don't think the game's big enough for it to be annoying, plus the player character runs decently fast. And the game's so poorly optimized that going faster could probably crash it with how badly it loads.

Also I didn't know about the Gabumon card trick. I can't imagine a Gabumon being too useful but I'll still remember it for if I ever play this game again because, hey, free poo poo!

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I can type up a post describing the various starters in more detail if people wanted (I did that for the last thread before it went under).

Yes please! I'm also curious about how arcane some of the digivolution requirements can be for this one since I remember DW2 had some that there were ridiculous.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

TravelLog posted:

Yes please! I'm also curious about how arcane some of the digivolution requirements can be for this one since I remember DW2 had some that there were ridiculous.

I'll let you know right now, there's no ridiculously arcane requirements towards digivolution.

Just incredibly, incredibly grindy ones.

Also yeah, ApplesandOranges if you want to type up the post describing the starters go right ahead.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Vegiemon is on the ground level of Plug Cape, east of the bridge.

Other things worth mentioning: Champion Digimon gets a hidden power boost to their attack, which also applies for the other five stages of evolution in this game

Now that you have access to get past the rapper you should also have had access to the like fifth best shop in the game.

Also come on giver there was a perfectly good ninetales joke to make, no need to drag Naruto into this :colbert:

GeneralYeti posted:

I'll let you know right now, there's no ridiculously arcane requirements towards digivolution.

Yeah the worst it gets is like rookie natural Mega into alternate ultimate into alternate ultimate into alternate Mega, which is just a massive slog. Getting access to the stage 3 Mega Digimon are also really obnoxious and roughly as time wasting, but at least you get an actual stronger Digimon out of it

Waterfall of Salt fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 24, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Patamon looks like he gets up to a ton of animation-related shenanigans in the second spot in the marching order. I approve.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Partner Analysis Part One

Preface: While the Digimon's natural stats and elemental tolerances are given, almost all of them can be tweaked with training (even HP/MP). The only things that can't be altered are equipment options.

Kotemon

Starting stats:
HP: 150
MP: 100
Str: 48
Def: 44
Spr: 41
Wis: 34
Spd: 33
Elemental Tolerances: Water > Thunder > Machine > Dark > Fire > Ice = Wind

The balanced swordsman, Koteman appropriately belongs in the Balance pack. He heavily leans towards physical offense, his natural line picking up access to Fire and Ice based physical attacks. He also picks up healing techniques, although nowhere near as fast as Patamon. Excellent early tolerances to Water and Thunder serve him well early on, and his weak points to Wind and Ice are nearly nonexistent til near the end of the game.

One problem Kotemon has is a lack of options. He's almost more or less stuck with his Dinohumon line for a long while for physical options. However, Kotemon does get early access to the Greymon line, and is the fastest route to Wargreymon and Omnimon, opening up avenues for magical offense and utility. He's not terribly exciting, but it's hard to go wrong with Kotemon - his stats are well balanced and can go in whichever direction you want. He also has a good array of equipment options and doesn't have to fight with Agumon or Guilmon for weapons, so for the undecided, he's an easy pick.

Monmon

Starting stats:
HP: 140
MP: 80
Str: 40
Def: 42
Spr: 26
Wis: 37
Spd: 55
Elemental Tolerances: Machine > Ice = Dark > Fire > Wind = Thunder > Water

Marksman Monmon is the fastest starter of the game, and while his physical stats are a mite lower they still allow him to compete. High Machine tolerance is great, although low Water tolerance does hurt him. Solitary access to bows and guns and the like means he never has to compete with others for weapon options, too. His natural line learns a different set of moves compared to most Digimon; instead of learning elementally-charged attacks, the Hookmon line learns 'Buster'-type moves - moves that deal greatly increased damage to certain families of Digimon, such as Birds, Bugs, etc. While these present a great elementally-neutral option, if up against an opponent for which he has no Busters for, Monmon is left with just average attacks. He does learn the 'Big Shot' line, which offers huge damage at the expense of accuracy, if one wishes to take that risk.

If Kotemon suffered from a lack of options, Monmon is even more bereft - his only early alternate line, Exveemon, is a dead end til Monmon hits level 40. The magical Angemon line is ill-suited for him as well. So that leaves the MetalMamemon line as his only alternate option for a while - which is a fine enough line at least. Fortunately, his natural tree is pretty strong and playing to his strengths (good Speed and physical stats) will easily make him more than capable of holding his own til you eventually open up other avenues late game, if you were still interested.

Mr FUZZUMS Kumamon

Trivia: Kumamon was eventually renamed to Bearmon for translation purposes down the road, as another Digimon was translated as Kumamon in the American dub of Digimon Frontier (which is called Chackmon in JP).

Starting stats:
HP: 180
MP: 10
Str: 56
Def: 58
Spr: 19
Wis: 17
Spd: 49
Elemental Tolerances: Wind > Water = Machine > Ice > Thunder > Fire > Dark

If you want a physical brawler, look no further than Kumamon. With the highest starting HP, Str and Def, and the third highest Spd, Kumamon can throw down in the ring all day. As expected though, he's not nearly as good on the magical side of things - with a shockingly low starting MP of 10, he can't even use his signature tech when he first starts out. Rock-bottom Wisdom scores also means he'll take more damage from magical assaults, and you're going to have to devote a bit of training if you want him to be a fist wizard. As the counterpart to Kotemon, Kumamon's natural line learns Lightning and Wind based physical assaults to contrast with the former's Fire/Ice inclinations. Kumamon's line also learns the 'Chi' based line of moves, which greatly strengthens the power of his next move, including counter-based attacks. His incredibly poor MP means you can't just burn it willy-nilly, though.

Aside from the MetalMamemon line, Kumamon only really has one other option for most of the game - the Kyubimon line, if he really wants to on the magical side of things. Which is a pretty poor option considering his starting stat inclinations - you can make a magical Kumamon, but there are both easier and faster options. The other thing hurting Kumamon is his slow EXP curve, leading him to take longer to gain levels. Kumamon's great stats serve him well early on, but the baseball bear does have to work hard to keep up with the rest of the pack around midgame.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jul 26, 2016

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Update 4: Mistakes

Alright, everyone ready to get some actual progress towards the goal of the game?

Yes, finally. I can only keep up the Pokemon jokes for so long. I need to snark about the plot to make it seem like I'm funny and critical

If it makes you feel better, I've never thought you were funny.

First thing to do, we're gonna chat with Natsumi here. Remember how I talked about Charisma, and how some people will fight us if we have enough of it?

god drat it kotemon get with the formation

:argh: Shovel Knight!! How am I supposed to whip these guys into shape.

Tamer Natsumi: Hey, let's Digimon Battle! I'm really good!

Click for music!

This is our first fight in which the opponent has more than one Digimon! There's also some new music, but I'm not a huge fan of it. It's too... triumphant? I think, for my tastes.

Anyway, first on the chopping block is a Betamon. Now, you might be asking yourself, 'But Yeti! You've been grinding off of Betamon in the Wire Forest! How is this Betamon a threat?'

Short answer: The Betamon isn't a threat. Angemon evaded its counter attack and killed it next turn.

Longer answer: It's not a threat, but Digimon that belong to Tamers get stat boosts. The Betamons in Wire Forest have about 120 HP (approximately; there's no official HP stat in the game, and I guess at the HP based on what they survive), and this one has about 175-ish. Again, I'm guessing, here.

Pokemon that belong to a Trainer also give bonus EXP. :eng101:

Natsumi's second Digimon is Vegiemon. It gets wrecked in short order, despite how smug it looks. This is a guaranteed encounter with one, but I did go back and wander around Shell Beach until I got into a fight with a Vegiemon, just to make sure they actually could be fought there.

Remember kids, always eat your veggies, even if they look like monsters who want to kill you.

And her last Digimon is Kiwimon. We haven't met this one yet, but we will soon. Later this update, in fact.

Holy poo poo I wanna punch that thing it looks so dumb.

Because Kiwimon can actually pack a punch, I'm switching out for my physical tank.

Kiwimon attacks by spitting little baby ChibiKiwimon at us. I... I don't know.

In unrelated news, Dinohumon is a loving beast. This wasn't even hitting an elemental weakness, Dinohumon has 200 strength and puts it to good use.

200 strength this early? Not legit! LPer is cheating!

Anyway, now that that little bit of unpleasantness is out of the way, we're gonna head off towards progress. Remember that path I mentioned in West Wire Forest, but didn't take?

no

Click for ambience!

Welcome to East Wire Forest. The encounters here are exactly the same as its Western counterpart.

"Hey, where did Kite go? HE ABANDONED US!

Tamer Lucia: Hey, I was called "Gal Gamer Lucia" back in the day!

And I bet all the boys let you win.

If we chat with her again, we'll be able to Card Battle her, but that game is irritating, so I'm gonna pass on that. To be fair, the Card Battling here isn't terrible; it's just another form of grinding in a game that has too much grinding already.

And here we have Kite running into a tree like the smart-aleck he is. What a wonderful protagonist.

That little path on the left, hidden by the foreground trees, might be a little tricky to spot. I know I missed it the first time I was playing the game as a wee little LieutenantYeti, but then again I was seven at the time.

See, Yeti was only a Lieutenant because he threatened to cry if the Toy Army Men didn't let him play.

Let's go drop by the Forest Inn, shall we?

...After I deal with this uppity Kuwagamon. Also hey! First 4-digit damage of the game! I'm so proud.

...Is that Boomer Kuwanger from X1?

Click for music!

.LOADING

As we progress through the areas, the Inns will cost more and more money to get a full heal. I usually don't stay at inns all that often, but I wanted to restore Patamon's MP for reasons.

Because heals, right?

Upstairs we'll find the requisite Guardromon, as well as a girl who's possibly just a little bit too interested in Veemon. Hands off, he's ours until he gives us the Tree Boots.

FFRRRRIIIEEEENNNDDDD

Oh god it's Battle Network all over again.

Let's head downstairs, shall we?

This might have been a mistake.

Bakemon Fan Cary: And I see ghosts here... they're eveywhere...[sic] ...acting like normal Digimon... it scares me.

Typo spotted. Also: :ghost:

I like spores, molds and fungus.

It's just a haunted house below an Inn. Don't be scared. PIKACHU STOP WETTING YOURSELF

I dunno what that kid is smoking, but there's no ghosts here, Digimon or otherwise.

Let's get out of here, this place is giving me the creeps.

And here we can see Yeti being a little wuss.

After we hook around this little path here, following the sign towards Seiryu town, there's a small clearing.

This is the path towards Seiryu Town, but like always the correct thing to do in any RPG is determine the path towards progress and then go the exact opposite direction.

Sage.

Like so: This is at the north end of the clearing.

This guy is just another Card Battle enthusiast. Let's not talk to him for a while.

Never Card Battle. They're a needless addition to a world where Digimon can fight in real-time.

ROLL CALL! Ah, poo poo! Shovel Knight's missing!

Oh hey, it's that place that the ambience is named after! I wonder what it looks like.

Oh god.

Oh god. :ohdear:

Spiders?

I hope you like spiders.

Name: Dokugumon

Drops: Spider Web

3 STR, 2 DEF, 3 SPR, 3 WIS, 3 SPD,
2 FIRE, 2 WATER, 2 ICE, 1 WIND, 3 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 3 DARK

EXP: 21, BIT: 40

Regular Attack: No Element (Chance of Poison)

Dokugumon infest the first half of Protocol Forest - they're literally the only enemy in the place. Fortunately, they're weak to Wind, so I can kill them in one shot.

That's actually a neat design, I like it. I'm calling her Charlotte.

After the fight, Angemon hit level 10 and learned this! It's a good thing because now Patamon can safely be relegated to a walking first-aid kit. I mean, for the time being I'll keep him leveled up, but that's going to be his main role.

Charlotte wat r u doing

Pikachu no

I got ambushed while wandering around in Protocol Forest, and this was the result. Dokugumon's main attack doesn't actually do that much damage, but it has a (fairly high - every time I got hit, it triggered) chance of poisoning your Digimon. Poison in this game is pretty nasty, so make sure you kill your opponent in one attack after being poisoned; the HP only drains when your turn finishes.

After squashing a few more spiders, I got what I came for: the Spider Web.

And no, picking up the webs on the map wouldn't have counted. :v:

I also stuck around, grinded a few Skill Levels; the Dokugumon were giving 5+ DV, so might as well.

Right, now that that business is taken care of, back down here!

Click for music!

Divermon's Lake is a nice break from the Wire Forest, mainly because real music is playing again.

There's only one new encounter here:

Name: Crabmon

4 STR, 2 DEF, 2 SPR, 2 WIS, 4 SPD,
2 FIRE, 3 WATER, 2 ICE, 2 WIND, 1 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 17, BIT: 30

He's not hard - pretty brittle, actually. About on par with the Betamon that are also in the area.

Where's the weak point, Yeti

There's a Bandana in this chest over here (head armor) but what I have already outclasses it, so it's vendor trash.

Holy poo poo, what's wrong with you guys? I look at a crab and you all disappear? Jesus H. Christ.

Well, I found them-hey, Pikachu! I said get in the front!

No, you stop sniffing Shovel Knight's rear end! Bad Pikachu!

That thing in the water is a Divermon; makes sense, since it's their lake. Let's go have a chat with the guy!

Oh no. :ohdear:

Divermon: Please take it out!
Divermon: ..........................
Divermon: Thanks, that feels better! Oh, a Red Snapper was stuck. I don't need it so you can have it. Later! By the way, thanks for all your help. Come over to Duel Island some time. My friends will play Card Battle with you.

Never visiting Duel Island, check.

Where is this so-called plot progression I was promised.

Do... Do those clams have teeth? That's terrifying.

They need to jump on the bridge and chomp your rear end to oblivion.

Yeti, don't be mean to your Digimon, you're STOMPING ON HIM.

How else are they supposed to learn?!

Conga, conga, conga.

The path is pretty straightforward. We just have to follow the winding path - which, naturally, winds so that we end up fighting ten Crabmon along the way. They aren't even good DV fodder.

Grind here. Kill 20 Crabmon and bring it back to me for a small XP boost.

There's a small corner tucked away behind these trees, but there's nothing here... for now. (I don't actually know if anything shows up here in the future.)

What are the Divermon even storing? Water from their lake? Regardless of the strange decor choices, we just keep following the path east.

And of course one of the Digimon is facing the wrong way. :allears:

I'm not sure why the number pad of a keyboard is a landscape decoration, but sure, why not. For some unknown reason, 1-2-5 is pressed on the first one, and 5-7-9 on the second.

:siren: Upcoming puzzle involving those digits is imminent. DIGIMON! Take note! Don't tell me you can't recognize numbers, you can talk, dammit!

Either way, we'll just take the only exit, the one I'm standing right in front of.

Click for ambience!

This is Wind Prairie. As the name might suggest, there's very little to do here, but the screen itself is wide and open.

Anyway, new screen and new music usually means new encounters, and this one's no different.

Name: Kiwimon

2 STR, 3 DEF, 3 SPR, 3 WIS, 4 SPD,
2 FIRE, 2 WATER, 1 ICE, 3 WIND, 1 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 15, BIT: 35

Name: Yanmamon

Kicking Trees: Asuka East - Kicking Forest
Asuka South - Bulk Swamp, Tranquil Swamp, Bios Swamp

3 STR, 2 DEF, 3 SPR, 3 WIS, 4 SPD,
2 FIRE, 2 WATER, 2 ICE, 1 WIND, 3 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 3 DARK

EXP: 16, BIT: 30

These guys aren't terribly bulky, but their SPD is higher than we've seen, meaning if you aren't careful they might be difficult to hit. That being said, since I've been pretty good about keeping my own SPD high, we're not gonna have a problem with them.

"...since I've been pretty good about keeping my own SPD high," HAHAHA, Yeti, PLEASE. Last update you were getting slammed by starter mobs.

Because this place is pretty big, it's best to explore it all at once and hope you don't get lost. Good news is, though, this battery (at least I think it's a battery) makes for a nice landmark for 12 o'clock.

Exploring counter-clockwise, there's this guy chilling out around 9 o'clock.

Tamer Akiba: This is great! I feel lucky and happy! All I need is to Digimon Battle now! So fight with me!

Just a side note: most people with the Tamer title will eventually challenge us to a Digimon Battle. Sometimes it takes work, sometimes they'll jump at the chance, like Tamer Akiba here.

Is there a PvP-only server where you can be attacked randomly.

Pfft. This is embarrassing. Still, remember what I mentioned about the Tamer Digimon; this Tapirmon ate 200 damage worth of Renamon's attack, and it barely cracked half its HP. It also did 150+ damage in response. It can be a challenge, especially if I hadn't been keeping ahead of the difficulty curve because I knew stuff like this would pop out.

At least it's an optional enemy.

Moving on, there's another hole off by 8 o'clock, against the tree line...

A living hole for the dormant troll who Yeti thinks is a mole.

HATE.

This rock at about 5...

And then a Veemon at the furthest east we can go on the screen. This Veemon wouldn't have spawned until you talk to Waitress Debbie after getting back that kid's Gabumon card.

We'll be back later to deal with him, but I want to finish the loop first. There's a drop-down point here, around 4 o'clock.

And at about 2:30 or so, there's a ramp up towards the cliff face. There's a few trees scattered along the walls here and there, but that's everything to do in the Wind Prairie. So let's go talk to the Veemon and get our Tree Boots, shall we?

Go up the ramp, you puss.

Veemon: Then what should we play? Hmmmmm...
Kite: Woah, Veemon! I want the Tree Boots.

Kite ain't got time for this poo poo, he's a busy kid.

Busy, yet he just plays this game all day.

As opposed to the boots for kicking Digimon?

You mean like what I've doing?

Veemon: Yeah, sure, but only if you play with me!
Kite: Sure thing! What're we going to play?!
Veemon: I'll go hide in the Kicking Forest, and you have to find me. If you can find me, I'll give you the Tree Boots! You lose if you leave the forest without finding me! And if you leave the Kicking Forest, I'm gonna go home to eat!

It's easier to fail this than you think, but I'll explain once we actually start the game.

Eh, it's simple. Burn the whole forest down, watch him come out screaming, then say "Gotcha."

Kite: OK! I'm gonna find you!
Veemon: Heh heh heh. It won't be that easy! Count to 10 and come to the forest!

Veemon wanders off into the forest. Kite continues to be a gullible idiot.

It's a nice touch that he actually does count, though it's not the full 'the text appears a little at a time' joke.

Kite: ......... Was that too fast?

Kite is briefly struck by crushing guilt and depression before shrugging it aside in the manner of 12-year-olds everywhere.

Kite: Oh, well! OK, let's go find him!

Click for ambience!

It's harder to keep track of Digimon than a loving full schoolyard of kids.

I am getting sick and tired of this ambience track. There's only so much bugs chirping that I can stand.

Kite: OK, I'm gonna find Veemon and get the Tree Boots!

Alright, so here's the deal. We get free reign to wander around and try to find Veemon. (There's still some encounters with some higher-level Digimon, but I'll cover the new ones when we officially come here.) The only problem is, and the catch with the whole schtick, if we get too close to the edge of the screen, we leave. Normally, we have to hit X to leave screens, but some utter jackass decided that it was a great idea to change up how literally every screen transition has changed in the one place where it matters. And if you do accidentally leave the screen, know how Veemon said he was going to go eat dinner?

That means you have to shlep all the way back to Asuka City and talk to Waitress Debbie again so that Veemon will reappear here.

Brilliant job, game designers :bravo:

...Hahahahahaha. FEEL MY PAIN WITH TERRIBLE GAME DESIGN YETI.

So, here's a little game for you all: Veemon is on this screen somewhere. Can you find him?

I'll take "Pixel Hunt" for $200

...Found him yet?

Take a look: there's two tiny bits of shadow behind the tree. Yeah, that's the only hint to where he actually is. Honestly? Just run up and down the grove smashing X. It's faster.

Jackass Veemon.

Veemon: OK, I'll give you the Tree Boots like I promised!

Scene fade, exit stage left.

I very much dislike you right now.

Which means I like him. Go Veemon!

Veemon: Here, take the Tree Boots!
Kite: Cool! Thanks, Veemon. Yeah! I got the Tree Boots!
Veemon: Good for you! OK, I'm going home to eat! Let's play again sometime. Later!

So, the Tree Boots. Walk up to one of these palmtree-looking dealies and hit X. There's a very satisfying 'thunk' sound effect that plays as we kick the tree, and then this radar pops up. It's kinda like an FOE monitor, for those who are familiar with the Etrian Odyssey series; for those readers that aren't, it's a proximity radar. Purple (like this) means that there's no Digimon in nearby trees...

....And now we're using Headbutt to find Pokemon in trees. You should have told me we were playing Silver version. That's MY poo poo.

gently caress yeah Silver version best version :hf:

...while Red means that there's a Digimon close by. There's also a blue-ish color where there's a Digimon nearby, but not in the current grove of trees, or whatever. It's not an exact science.

Just go around kicking trees until you find something.

Nine times out of ten you'll run into a Cardmon. These weird things have Cards spinning over their heads. They look like floating exclamation points. They're also pretty drat powerful - they give good EXP, and almost always drop a Booster Pack item for you (the B series; the A series you get from beating Tamers in Card Battles) when you beat them.

Still, for right now they're a little too strong to comfortably fight - and besides, I'm doing my level best to avoid the Card game anyway, so it's not like not fighting them will hurt my chances.

Translation: "I'm a little bitch, Giver."

Anyway, if you'll go over some of the weird items I've collected, three should stand out in particular - a Bamboo Spear, a Spider Web, and a Red Snapper. Or, in other words, a pole, a string, and a hook.

Yeah, it's time to stroll back to Central Park and get ourselves a Fishing Pole.

Tai Kong WangWong: Wait a moment, I'll make you a fishing pole...

Yeah, the game screwed his name up.

They fixed it quickly, though.

Tai Kong Wang: Of course, it's only a matter of opinion! Use this fishing pole I made, and you'll catch big fishes!.[sic] Good luck catching the big fishs! OK, here you go, boy!
Kite: Huh?! Thanks, Pops! Yeah! I got the Fishing Pole!
Tai Kong Wang: Ho ho ho ho ho. Well, good luck.

Really throwing a lot of text errors at us in quick succession, aren't they?

All I'm seeing is innuendos.

So, fishing! This gimmick is going to be either your best friend or a colossal nightmare. Regardless, when you're running around and you spot a body of water, head over to it; anywhere you can fish, this little icon will pop up over Kite's head.

Kite will cast a lure and the microgame begins; that little bar start moving left and right. If you hit X and stop it over a length of blue bar, nothing happens.

But if you stop it over the yellow...

You'll fish up a Cardmon! These ones have the booster pack behind them, so they actually look like little blue fish. It's pretty neat.

The first problem with fighting aquatic Cardmon at our level is that they're stupid strong; roughly twice the strength of the tree-dwelling Cardmon, if the EXP and BIT rewards are any indication.

Second, the longer the battle drags out, the more likely you're going to get cursed. Cardmon has a chance of inflicting this ailment with every attack, and it's not pleasant. Curse decreases one of three stats of the Rookie - either STR, DEF, or SPD - for three to five battles every time you get cursed. The amount decreased ranges from 1 to 20 - I got lucky here and only lost two points of strength.

Still, that just means that the longer you go on fighting, the more likely you're going to get cursed. They also hit pretty hard, too - Angemon took 200 damage from one attack.

Cardmons don't play

So I switched out to Renamon, see if her Thunder Bolt would do more damage (it wouldn't; every Cardmon has a flat 3 in every stat across the board.)

No weakness hits? Really?

This proved to be unwise. But hey, now I get to talk about Blasting!

See that little bar underneath Renamon's HP gauge, the one that's been slowly filling up across the screenshots? That's the Blast Gauge. As your Digimon takes damage, it'll fill up according to the amount taken. Renamon Blasted first because of her low defenses.

In regular play, you'll rarely ever Blast. That's because the Blast Gauge resets every time you load a saved game. That being said, since I'm using savestates, it doesn't empty for me.

Blast Digivolution looks pretty drat cool, even if it's the exact same as regular Digivolution only with flames.

When your Digimon Blast Digivolves, it Digivolves to the next rank up. Blasting when the Rookie is 1-4 results in a Champion Digimon, 5-19 an Ultimate, and 20 and up a Mega. Blasting above level 40 does weird things, but I've never actually seen what happens because I've never played the game that far.

Renamon, in this case, Blasts to Taomon.

Crouching Tao, Hidden Mon.

When Blasted, your health refills to full and you have access to the Signature Technique of that Digivolution. Just in case, it costs no MP to cast.

I got lucky, here. Cardmon had already taken about 170 damage, so the 300 extra managed to kill it.

Angemon did learn Double Guard from the fight, though, so it's not all bad. Still, aquatic Cardmon are definitely out of my league for now.

Go grind off of them. Do it. NOW.

Since everyone hit level 9 while I was fighting Dokugumon and stuff, I figured I'd swing by Leomon's Gym while I was here.

Training Results:

Renamon: Spirit +32, Wisdom +32
Patamon: Wisdom +32, Speed +32
Kotemon: Speed +32, Defense +33

Everyone's getting some defenses, though since Renamon was already pretty fast I upped her SPR instead for extra magical damaging capabilities. I'm thinking for now Renamon will be staying a glass cannon (for extra Blasting capabilities), and Patamon and Kotemon will be acting as the magical and physical tanks respectively. It's not perfect, since ideally Patamon would be able to hold his own in a fight, but beggars, choosers, etc.

Beggers CAN be choosers if they got the balls to make it happen. :colbert:

As for fishing, there's one more thing I forgot to mention. Say your bar lands on the green marker. If that happens...

Mistakes may have been made at this point.

If you land on green, you fight a wild Digimon. Said Digimon are usually pretty drat strong, and are the best places for grinding. That being said, Divermon is classified as an Ultimate. I barely have Champions.

My reaction when this happened and I was suddenly staring at a Divermon: "Oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress :supaburn: what do I do what do I do!" I got lucky with the Blast Digivolution - MagnaAngemon's Signature Technique, Gate of Destiny, instantly defeated the Divermon.

:supaburn: perfectly sums up Yeti's competence level at videogames.

Let's not speak of that series of unfortunate events ever again and instead go back to Wind Prairie and head up this ramp okay cool.

I will never let you live it down.

Click for music!

That hole in the wall actually leads to the next city, and our current destination: Seiryu City.

This guy's a Tamer, and we all know what that means.

Tamer Chris: It would be a waste if I didn't fight! All right then! Digimon Battle!

He starts off with a Kuwagamon with frankly ridiculous speed. Normal Digimon might have trouble hitting him.

Angemon, however, is our dedicated bugswatter, so down goes Kuwagamon in one shot.

Next up is a Flymon, and it's also pretty fast, so it might be difficult to hit.

Oh wait no, Angemon one-shots it. :fuckoff:

Flymon? These names.

It's a green Yanmamon, but it doesn't last any longer than the other two did. The thing is, all of Tamer Chris's Digimon share a crippling weakness to the Wind element, and Angemon has Wind-based techs. I'm also probably a little higher-level than I should be, but hosed if I'm playing by this game's rules regarding difficulty curves.

Good boy.

Your approval fills me with shame.

After I finish crushing Tamer Chris's hopes and dreams, we're gonna head in here.

Welcome to the Zephyr Tower. This is a combination Inn/Smith Shop; we can rest our Digimon and buy some supplies here. However, there isn't a Guardromon nearby, so you can't actually save your game. There is a Divermon, for all the good that does us.

no save point at an Inn? :negative:

Charming Elle: I'm worried because she's such a crybaby.

The Inn's also gone up in price another 4 BITs, costing us 16 BIT per Digimon now. Still, it's all good, I have 3000 BITs to spare.

Or, at least, I did until I went on a shopping spree to get all the new gear. I had enough money between my incessant grinding and selling all my old stuff to get everyone a full upgrade except a second weapon upgrade for Renamon, so right now she's holding a dagger in one... paw... and a copy of Leomon's sword in the other. It's all very bizarre.

Now that I've proved I'm fiscally irresponsible, let's cross the road.

Good thing we don't need food or water, otherwise that would be a problem.

Oh hello there. I'll tell you what you shouldn't do:

Talk to Giver?

You shouldn't go into Gale Tower because there is a sleeping Airdramon in there and that thing has teeth as big as our arm. I'm sure everyone's heard the saying by now: meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.

But I taste bad. I'm too spicy.

We'll be coming back here later.

Continuing through town, there's... really not that much else to do. There's this girl over here, :swoon:ing over the Seiryu Leader -

Sarah: Seiryu Leader is sooo handsome! He's sooo cool!

Ladies, how would you like to have fun with Giver? :smuggo:

And there's a ladder that leads to nothing in particular right now. I'll be back for this soon enough, goons in the thread that have played this game before.

Pikachu, wait your turn, the door opens up SLOWLY.

Finally, there's Seiryu Tower. This is where the Guardromon is; that little pink thing on the left is Pixmon, and it acts as the Digimon Lab. We can switch out Digimon partners, change our Digivolutions, or load Techs if we talk to him; however, since we don't have any, only have one, and can't at the moment respectively, there's no reason to chat up the puffball with wings.

Going up the stairs, we find this well-dressed lady and gentleman participating in some... unsavory activities.

Ms. Olivia (on the left): Oh, why is this so much fun? This is so much fun, I'm disgusted!
Manager Sasaki: We're from MAGAMI's rival company. Don't tell, but we're here to spy on Digimon Online.

Corporate espionage, and revealing it to a grade-schooler? Someone tell these two to go back to Spy 101 because they're pretty bad at their jobs.

Are you loving kidding me? Jokes aside, I legitimately got flashbacks to Battle Network with the exact way that line was written. Just the non-chalant reveal coupled with the extreme stupidity.

Continuing along, we find a map of Asuka Server. There's no real detail, so it's not very important. Besides, we have a better map in our Status screen (that I'll eventually remember to show off, promise!)

Yeti is a slacker.

Repeating Tom: It's northwest of here.

You can't lie to me! I bet he's just waiting beyond that door!

Oh. Well then.

Since Repeating Tom was so kind as to tell us where we should be going next, let's go search for the Seiryu Leader. Unfortunately, I don't remember any place called Protocol Ruins...

...But there is a place called Protocol Forest. More spiders. Joy.

Please be patient while the game loads the next update.

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 25, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I somehow entirely forgot that fishing could do that. Then again, I don't think I ever did that much fishing - I hate fishing minigames in general.

Blast Evolution is a really cool mechanic that's so poorly implemented you might never see it, or you might see it once in the entire playthrough. Emptying when you reset the game is terrible, and you need to be really reckless to get it to work, little damage won't fill it at all. You basically need to pick fights above your level just to see it in action, although the results are drat good. I remember one fight later on where I had to use Blast to win because I didn't grind enough, but this is not the time to talk about it. Or the other one where I used Blast gauge-increasing items to get there. Those aren't very useful!

Also the shell with teeth are Syakomon, or rather, Syakomon shells - they lack the Digimon inside of them. The shell of the fittingly-named Shellmon can also be seen in that part of the game!

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

GeneralYeti posted:

Take a look: there's two tiny bits of shadow behind the tree. Yeah, that's the only hint to where he actually is. Honestly? Just run up and down the grove smashing X. It's faster.

Jackass Veemon.

Veemon: OK, I'll give you the Tree Boots like I promised!

Scene fade, exit stage left.

Not shown: not only is there a pixel hunt for the Veemon, there's also decoy digimon hidden in the area that have no purpose but to annoy you.

quote:

So, fishing! This gimmick is going to be either your best friend or a colossal nightmare.
Definitely best friend. One of the differences between 2003 and 3 is that in 2003 the fishing spots eventually dry up and you'll have to exit and reenter the area. 3 has no such limit, so you can just set up a turbo controller or whatever and just mash the attack button and grind without even looking.

quote:

I'm also probably a little higher-level than I should be, but hosed if I'm playing by this game's rules regarding difficulty curves.

----

Or, at least, I did until I went on a shopping spree to get all the new gear. I had enough money between my incessant grinding and selling all my old stuff to get everyone a full upgrade except a second weapon upgrade for Renamon, so right now she's holding a dagger in one... paw... and a copy of Leomon's sword in the other. It's all very bizarre.

Now that I've proved I'm fiscally irresponsible, let's cross the road.

I mean, that money could have been used to absolutely snap the difficulty in half even more. Talk to the guy to the left in the Asuka store :colbert:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
go and play that card game right now damnit

You're gonna have to be halfway competent at it eventually if you want to show everything off, seeing as there are sidequests and such tied to it. Hell, there's even special tamers and digimon to challenge for one-of-a-kind cards.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yapping Eevee posted:

You're gonna have to be halfway competent at it eventually if you want to show everything off, seeing as there are sidequests and such tied to it. Hell, there's even special tamers and digimon to challenge for one-of-a-kind cards.

And halfway competent basically just means buying a bunch of summon devimon and actual devimon in the next town and building your deck around that. You'll have to do something else eventually but it's more than strong enough for quite some time.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Yapping Eevee posted:

you can't make me :colbert:

In all seriousness though, the stuff hidden under the spoiler only has cards for prizes. As far as I'm aware, at least. The game is pretty good at separating the two halves of its gameplay.

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

I guess I should share the excellent handling of Kiwimon in the english dub of the anime https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORPpnviSPzU&t=5s

I also want some card games. You can't make a Let's Play on SA without doing Literally Everything (I don't know if it's mandatory I never got far into this game because I couldn't speak English when I played it)

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Update 5: Curbstomp

Update has been successfully loaded. Thank you for your patience.

So last time we left off in Protocol Forest. Before we pick up where we left off, though, I went and did some grinding off of Coelamon (what you fish up in the opening areas).

First off, when Kyubimon hits level 20 while Renamon has a base strength of 80, Stingmon is unlocked as a Digivolution. Renamon's gonna be hanging out in Stingmon for a while, grinding it up to level 20 for reasons.

Kotemon also unlocks a Digivolution, Greymon, though this trigger is only Dinohumon hitting level 20. No other requirements.

Finally, Patamon... doesn't get anything. Yet. (Note that Angemon is over level 20. This will be instrumental in shattering the first third of the difficulty curve over my knee.)

Since I did get everyone up to level 11, though, we have a little bit of TP to burn.

Training Results:

Renamon: Spirit +66
Patamon: Power +66
Kotemon: Power +32, Speed +34

Renamon and Kotemon continue to become ridiculously strong for this part of the game. Patamon, on the other hand, gets a Strength boost. This is also important - right now, Patamon has over 100 Strength.

I find it weird how the game gives relative stats (1-5) for the enemies, but leaves them as 'normal' for you. I guess it can be tense? But then why not just leave both sides as normal.

Click for ambience!

We're just going to put that aside for now. Giver was whining that Renamon wasn't getting enough screentime, so I've put her in the lead for now in an attempt to make him shut up. It won't work, of course.

No, it won't because you put away all your Digimon! How am I supposed to keep them in line.

Up to the top is that spider egg tree from last update, but our destination is towards the right.

...Oh dear. Anyone ever play that old Gameboy game, Mario & Luigi? Remember that one part of that dungeon where you had to wander through a maze of barrels?

It was just barrels of fun, Yeti. Especially during low level runs!

It wasn't much fun in that game either.

I hate these kinds of mazes.

While Dokugumon infest the dirt areas, there's a new encounter in the forest.

Name: Goburimon

5 STR, 3 DEF, 2 SPR, 2 WIS, 2 SPD,
1 FIRE, 2 WATER, 3 ICE, 3 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 1 DARK

EXP: 22, BIT: 45

Goburimon (or Goblimon, if you prefer) are mini-Ogremon. They're not very threatening, but they might hit kinda hard. Y'know, if you let them have a turn. With a weakness to Fire and two of the three packs having access to Fire techs with their first Champion Digivolution, you shouldn't have any problem with these.

It's hard to give directions through this, but you kinda hug the bottom wall, then curve north but not too north and curve left before hooking around and coming out the other side?

When I got out of there, I just kinda sat there for a few seconds and took stock of what I was doing with my life. Sadly, it was a grand total of 'Playing video games for the internet.'

'Getting insulted by Giver every 2 images while playing games for the Internet' Yep, you should kill yourself you worthless pile of trash.

Pictured: Yeti's tomb when he finishes this game.

I'm getting a decidedly Egyptian vibe from this place. The obelisk out in front, though, is remarkably similar to the Black Pillars from Season 2 of the show.

Click for music!

Welcome to the Protocol Ruins! Last time I claimed it was a dungeon, and it is... in a sense.

That sense being that we're fighting Minotarumon and Goburimon. And everyone knows that Minotaurs come from labyrinths, and labyrinths are dungeons labyrinths are occasionally dungeons. Quad erat demonstratum.

Excuse me, sir, labyrinths are mazes. Not all mazes are dungeons. You just been lawyer'd.

Edit from the future: I have been informed by the thread (whom I trust more than I trust Giver) that a labyrinth is not necessarily a dungeon. THE MORE YOU KNOW.

Name: Minotarumon
Level: Champion/Ultimate (it's complicated)

5 STR, 4 DEF, 2 SPR, 2 WIS, 2 SPD,
1 FIRE, 2 WATER, 2 ICE, 3 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 27, BIT: 55

Same deal as the Goburimon outside. He might hit pretty hard, but with only 2 SPD he shouldn't get more than one turn.

Well, enough about that. The first decision we come to really isn't that much of a decision, though that snake section is pretty cool.

But what I mean by not much of a decision is, the western and northern branches end up spiralling together.

At the end of the spiral, there's two branches. The first leads up here; there's nothing here at the moment. There might be something here later, there might not be.

The other branch shows our destination. There's some guys up there; we are down here, and we want to be down there.

In unrelated news, Stingmon is a giant bug. Who attacks by launching at the enemy with a sweet jump kick.

Holy poo poo, it's Liu Kang.

Ahem. Regardless of that, since the northern and western paths lead to the same place, and we came from the southern path, that only leaves one path left for us to explore.

It's, uh... not very interesting. It's just a straight line.

Straight lines generally mean you're approaching the end.

Over there is our destination. I'm glad we can see where we're going, actually.

Though really, it's just another straight line to the end of the 'dungeon'. We don't really need to look too hard for figuring out where to go - this will, unfortunately, be a rarity past the East Server.

See, you wrote 'dungeon', meaning even you think its questionable.

Before we jump down, though, there's something a little more interesting to do first.

Pharaohmon: I vow to the Digimon God that I won't lose!
Kite: Then I'll challenge you!

Kite, how does that follow? You dunce.

It doesn't.

Pharaohmon: You show no fear! I must warn you. I am powerful!
Kite: We won't know until we do it!
Pharaohmon: ...Good, you're ready. Then I'll go full force!

Click for music!

Hora hora! Check out that background! That's the Transcendent Sword on the right, and the Berserk Sword on the left (Omnimon and Knightmon's weapons, respectively). Welcome to our first Boss Digimon fight.

Name: Pharaohmon (Boss)
Level: Mega

Drops: Old Wand (After Defeat)

1 FIRE, 2 WATER, 2 ICE, 2 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 120, BIT: 240

Technique: Necro Mist (Physical, Chance of Poison)

Pharaohmon! He's a pretty cool dude. At least, his design is; I've always had a fondness for certain boss designs, and Pharaohmon checks pretty much all of the boxes. Much larger than your character, neat music, sweet background.

Pharaohmon's regular attack has him punch a shockwave towards us. It hits pretty hard, at around 200 damage a shot.

His special attack is Necro Mist, which does about ~70 damage and has a pretty good chance of poisoning you.

Now, normally I'd be all over this fight. The only problem is... I might have grinded a little bit too much. Either Pharaohmon was easier than I remembered, or I was underleveled when I fought him as a kid, but he went down like a chump. He also has a crippling weakness to Fire techs; which, as mentioned earlier, you'll probably have access to unless you started with the Manic Pack. And even then, the Accessories in Asuka City can add a Fire attribute to your regular attack, making him a huge joke.

I had the same issue with Battle Network 2's Hard Mode. One of PharoahMan's attacks only hits for 60 damage. And your HP is likely around 800.

He doesn't have that much health, so hitting for 350 a shot... yeah. It chews through him pretty quick. Still, he's a boss, so there's gonna be a link near the end of the update to a video of me fighting him.

Which wouldn't be hard because KITE looks like a dumb teenage kid. (I said KITE, Giver.)

This is why I voted for DumbYeti to be the name. Thread! You've let me down!

Kite: Yeah, of course!
Pharaohmon: As praise to you, I'll give you this.
Kite: Yeah! I got the Old Wand!
Pharaohmon: You're strong. Our gods will be with you!

The Old Wand is an equipment that boosts SPR a little bit. Renamon immediately gets it, replacing that Dagger she was still using, and now has a staff in one paw and Leomon's sword in the other.

Alright, now that we've taken care of the optional boss, let's keep moving.

...Or, apparently, get into a random battle on landing. I swear I didn't touch any buttons.

Well, at least you can throw in some more grinding. This game DOES seem like a slog to play, at times. I get a bit exhausted just co-commentating this.

After we wrap around, we come across who I'm going to have to assume is the Seiryu Leader. After all, he's the only other person in here.

Whiny bitch.

But first, talking to his digimon.

Agumon: One and two, and one, and two. I'm training so I can digivolve to MetalGreymon!

Yeah you are, buddy :unsmith: (I'll admit to having a soft spot for Guilmon since I played as him my first ever LP of Digimon World 4.)

Guilmon: I'm going to be great in the next battle!

Of course, everyone likes Charmeleon.

Well, that's enough chatting with the important people. Let's talk to Seiryu Leader and convince him to come get his rear end handed to him.

Seiryu Leader: I'm sorry, but I don't fight with the weak.

Bitch did you not just see me wreck Pharaohmon

:allears: He has shades of Giver. Best character so far.

Seiryu Leader: But if you really want to then defeat MasterTyranno in Tyranno Valley first!

Fine, fine, whatever. Go kill some other dude and you'll fight us, yeah? Sounds like a plan, you loving prick.

Now, now, Yeti. You must do this in the correct order. Even MMOs railroad you.

Click for ambince!

Rssm frssm... Stupid quest chains... Ahem. He said that Tyranno Valley is northeast of Seiryu City, and since we can't go any further north of the city that leaves us going to the east - Kicking Forest. And since we're actually supposed to be here, not just playing a game with Veemon, let's go over the bios of what we can encounter in the area, shall we?

Name: Woodmon
Asuka South - Phoenix Bay, Ether Jungle

Kicking Trees: Asuka Central - Central Park, Plug Cape, Shell Beach, Wire Forest Entrance
Asuka East - West Wire Forest, East Wire Forest, Divermon's Lake, Wind Prairie

1 FIRE, 3 WATER, 2 ICE, 3 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 1 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 25, BIT: 50

Woodmon is pretty simple - hit him with a Fire attack and he's done. You can also run into Gizamon and Vegiemon here.

Name: Seadramon
Asuka East - Divermon's Lake

Fishing: Asuka East - Kicking Forest
Asuka South - Bulk Bridge, Tranquil Swamp, Bios Swamp, Jungle Grave, Phoenix Bay

Drops: Water Power 1

2 STR, 4 DEF, 4 SPR, 3 WIS, 2 SPD,
3 FIRE, 3 WATER, 2 ICE, 2 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 1 DARK

EXP: 58, BIT: 120

Seadramon can be encountered by fishing, but they're still a little bit out of our league for a bit. Our guys can go toe to to with one, thanks to those (relative) weaknesses to Ice, Wind, and Thunder, but the 4 DEF means Kotemon/Dinohumon/Stingmon won't be hitting very hard (our physical attackers) and the 3 WIS means even Kyubimon will have a little bit of trouble. They're good for grinding, but since it's only 18 extra EXP compared to a Coelamon, I recommend against it for now unless you've grinded severely.

But that's the boring stuff out of the way. Let's wander around for a bit.

On the northern side of the lake, Kite admires his shoes and Patamon is shocked by this. (We'll be coming back to the ladder later, don't worry.)

:siren: Shovel Knight, don't push Pikachu into the water! No! BAD DIGIMON!

For some reason, we can't fish on the little pier, but we can fish off the edge. I am pretty sure I know the reason why! And because I'm a jerk, I'm not telling.

And yet, Yeti calls me a jerk.

Come shake your body, baby do that conga.

I know you can't control yourself any longer.

As we head east around the southern side of the lake, across the tree trunk, there's another one of those holes on a cliff...

Go into the hole and collect copious numbers of coal, thereby letting us reach our goal.

...and a chest on another plateau. Interesting.

OPEN IT! I MUST SEE WHAT'S INSIDE!

The large clearing there has branches to the south and to the east. We'll be exploring the southern path first.

Nothing down here but another hole.

The amount of holes makes me fold towards the goal. Instead, I will build a pole.

Feel the rhythm of your body getting stronger.

I do like how this waterfall looks. It might have problems with faces, but I do like the isomorphic perspective most of the time.

At the end of this little path, there's something called an East Station. We'll be getting into that next update.

why do you have a poo poo name

At the end of the eastern branch of that large clearing earlier, there's this old guy.

Tamer Bob: No matter how much I think, I can't find answer![sic] It's no use! I can't fight with this by myself.

why are u so random

Well, that was fun. Existential angst aside, let's go back north and climb up this ladder.

Good thing it ain't windy.

...and then this one too.

Well, whaddaya know? A northern exit. To a screen that seems to be northeast of Seiryu City.

Click for ambience!

Tyranno Valley. It's very, uh... bleak.

Oooo, I like the look of this.

But it's a new area, so that means new encounters. Three of them, in fact, one of which is very important.

Name: Tyrannomon

Drops: Fire Power 1

3 STR, 4 DEF, 4 SPR, 2 WIS, 2 SPD,
3 FIRE, 2 WATER, 1 ICE, 2 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 31, BIT: 60

Regular Attack: Fire Element

As expected in Tyranno Valley. The crippling weakness to Ice means Renamon and Kyubimon will make short work of them.

Or, you know, just show them Ice Ages 2-5.

We're fighting them, not torturing them.

Name: Airdramon

Drops: Fire Chip

Stats:
1 STR, 4 DEF, 5 SPR, 3 WIS, 4 SPD,
2 FIRE, 2 WATER, 2 ICE, 3 WIND, 3 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 1 DARK

EXP: 29, BIT: 70

Technique: Air Blast (Magic-Wind)

Nothing special about this one. Be aware that its technique is Magic-based, using its 5 SPR, but it shouldn't be very hard.

That looks sufficiently cool enough that I'll refrain from making a joke.

Name: Triceramon
Level: Ultimate
Asuka East - Tyranno Valley

Drops: TNT Ball

4 STR, 3 DEF, 3 SPR, 3 WIS, 2 SPD,

EXP: 30, BIT: 60

Regular Attack: Fire Element

Yes, you can run into these guys as early as Plug Cape (that little windy path up top that I showed off). Yes, they will gently caress you up, since even if you go to Plug Cape after getting your first Digivolutions you'll only be level 5-6. Now, though, he's basically the same as Tyrannomon. This guy is the important one, by the way.

Those dual candy-corn horns look way too silly. That would just throw you way off balance in a battle.

By the way, what does TNT Ball do.

Both the west and the east ladders lead nowhere, so we're just gonna go straight up the north one!

Not even treasure.

Oh poo poo! This is pretty neat. I wonder what died to leave these bones.

Your mom

Or these bones, holy poo poo! Tyranno Valley is shaped like that old-timey AND sign; the one that looks like a curved E with a line on the top and bottom. This spot is the bottom prong of the E, and for some reason it's my favorite grinding spot on this screen. I don't know why, exactly.

Well, it definitely does look cool. If this were a legit MMO, this would be a place reserved for high levels.

Please keep all hands, feet and paws inside the dinosaur at all times.

I'm just adding these here because holy poo poo this place is badass. We're running around on massive dinosaur fossils. Pretty rad.

I wonder... Quick, someone get some polka music going...

On it.

Forecast for today: Windy, with a chance of death!

Eventually, we follow the spinal cord up to this ladder here.

Oh, hello there. This Digimon is just sitting out in the open, just like... Pharaohmon...

Kite: MasterTyranno, fight with me!

Is this gonna be how this kid introduces himself? "Fight with me, I'm Kite!"?

I'M AN ELEVEN YEAR OLD BOY AND I DEMAND WE DO BATTLE

MasterTyranno: Sure! I just ate, so I'm at full power.
Kite: Right on! This will show how strong I am.
MasterTyranno: You're pretty optimistic kid! But it takes more than that to beat me!

Click for music!

If the pre-fight conversation or name didn't clue you in, the music and background should definitely be a hint! MasterTyrannomon is our second boss fight of the game, and second of the update.

dem swords

Name: MasterTyrannomon (Boss)
Level: Ultimate

Drop: Old Claw (After Defeat)

3 STR, 4 DEF, 4 SPR, 3 WIS, 2 SPD,

EXP: 140, BIT: 280

Technique: Master Fire (Magic-Fire)

Honestly, he's... not that threatening. He's just a beefed up Tyrannomon that lost the fire element on his regular attack and gained a(n admittedly dangerous) Magical Technique. Still, though, Renamon will mop the floor with the guy.

By which I mean Stingmon will launch a jump kick straight into his loving chest.

Here's Master Fire. Note the wavy fire background: that's because Master Fire is technically an Ultimate Technique. MasterTyrannomon is an Ultimate Digimon, but he's not very threatening (Hell, Pharaohmon was a MEGA and he went down like a chump).

Still, Stingmon's kick didn't do much, so I Digivolved to Kyubimon. (Ignore the Tech description, it didn't update in time.) I think we can all guess how this ended. Video of the fight at the end of the update.

Hoo hah.

Hah hoo.

MasterTyranno: I'll give you this for defeating me.
Kite: Yeah! I got the Old Claw!
MasterTyranno: Take that to the Seiryu Leader! Then he'll battle with you.
Kite: Thanks, MasterTyranno!
MasterTyranno: Seiryu Leader is pretty tough. Be on your guard!

The Old Claw is also a piece of equipment, but none of our Digimon can equip it. It's okay, we've got a full upgrade set anyway.

Now, what we're going to do is fight in Tyranno Valley for a while.

Grinding time!

Remember how Angemon was over level 20 and Patamon got trained up to 100+ Power? This happened after the first fight. When Angemon hits level 20 with 100+ base Strength, we unlock the Digitamamon Digivolution.

Digitamamon is an Ultimate. 9 levels early.

That cracking sound you just heard was the first third of the difficulty curve snapping in half. But we're not done yet; I just got that because I could. It's not my true goal.

But my true goal will have to wait (drat, only 4 levels away...) because I got what I came here for. Triceramon will drop TNT Balls on occasion, and you want at least one.

So let's just jump off this giant ledge and land perfectly safely without any problems whatsoever. We don't even get attacked this time! Game, are you feeling okay?

Do you WANT fall damage to be a thing? Pretty sure that would aggravate everyone.

I noticed this for the first time when wandering back to Seiryu City to fight the leader. Weird and neat.

Hah, nice cactuar reference, game.

it's a gyroid/haniwa

Click for music!

Now that the Seiryu Leader is back, a few of his Digimon are out and about.

Guilmon: Tonight's dinner is pizza!

Not that they have anything useful to say, of course.

While I was grinding for the TNT Ball, Angemon reached level 25 and can now load Air Blast. How loading Techs works: You learn them at one level, and then can load them at a second. The level varies per Digivolution (Rookies never learn new Techs), and varies per Tech. Every Digivolution has at least one Tech that doesn't get loaded until they hit level 99, though, so if you really want to load Double Guard better get ready to grind.

Since there's no reason not to, I load Angemon's Air Blast and Dinohumon's Heat Cutter. Loading Techs makes them available to every form of that Rookie so long as the Digivolution is equipped (one of the three slots) but increases the cost a little bit. If Digitamamon, for example, wanted to use Air Blast it would cost 24 MP instead of 20.

But now that all of our pre-fight shenanigans are taken care of, let's get down to it.

Yeah, we're the kid that beat the poo poo out of a Mega Digimon in front of you. And now we went and beat up a dinosaur :c00l:

I guess only a scrub would feel good about beating other scrubs.

I would like to submit that jump-kicking a dinosaur in the chest is inherently cool, regardless of the capabilities of said dinosaur.

Kite: Seiryu Leader, I defeated MasterTyranno! Now will you battle with me?

Kite's got a one-track mind and the only destination is WAR.

Seiryu Leader: I see. You have the Old Claw. All right. Make your move!

Click for music!

We're kicking things off as Digitamamon vs. Minotarumon.

Look at that poo poo. Ultimate Digimon do not gently caress around. I'm also fast enough at this point that I'm consistently getting two turns to the enemy's one, so Minotarumon got literally one attack off, doing 160 damage, before I killed it.

Next up is Tyrannomon. Tyrannomon, meet Kyubimon. Remember what I was saying about Tyrannomons earlier?

Yeah.

Hax. The LPer is cheating.

And here's his signature Digimon!

Name: Apemon

2 STR, 2 DEF, 3 SPR, 3 WIS, 5 SPD,
1 FIRE, 2 WATER, 3 ICE, 3 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 1 DARK

I'll give his full bio when we meet Apemon in the wild, but for now look at two numbers in particular. First, his SPD - 5 SPD means that thing is pretty drat fast. You might be in trouble if you're not very quick; unfortunately for Apemon, we're already lapping his team. Second, look at that 1 Fire resistance. Yeah.

APEMON SMASH PUNY DIGIMON

So I'm going to switch to Dinohumon to take advantage of that slightly weaker defense and - oh poo poo. Is that...

It is! I can't believe I've completely forgotten about this until just now.

Certain Digimon, when you tag out, can DNA Digivolve together. For a (fairly hefty early-game) MP cost from both Digimon, you get a free attack. Each of the starting packs has one; for Balanced it's Kyubimon and Dinohumon, Powerful it's Hookmon and Greymon, and for Maniac it's Grizzmon and Growlmon.

Yeti's pacing sux

Seriously, watch the video after this. I can't do this little cutscene justice just through screenshots alone.

Grizzmon and Growlmon DNA Digivolve to become KendoGarurumon, while Hookmon/Greymon and Kyubimon/Dinohumon become Agunimon. (They're from Digimon Frontier. The lovely show where the humans don't have partner Digimon and instead fuse with ancient artifacts to temporarily become Digimon themselves. Frontier is terrible.)

As terrible as this franchise?

Agunimon, by the way, does FIRE damage.

:owned:

:boom:

At this point it's just adding insult to injury.

And we don't even get a level up from beating the Seiryu Leader! Jerk.

Kite: I'm Kite. That was an honorable battle!

Kite, don't lie to the man. That was brutal and unforgiving.

Seiryu Leader: All right then, Kite, take this with you.
Kite: I got the Seiryu Badge and Silver Ticket!
Seiryu Leader: You will need them in the battles ahead. They're important items, so don't lose them.
Kite: Thanks, Seiryu Leader!

Seiryu Leader: You still have a long ways ahead, but you can do it. Good luck!

One down, three to go. We're on our way to being the Server Champ and from there the World Champ.

Here's the video of all three bosses. I plow through them pretty quick, but they all get a chance to attack... once or twice...

Next time: this chucklehead. And cleaning up the rest of the stuff to do before heading South.

Push him off the cliff!

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 25, 2017

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
If I remember correctly, Digitamamon actually does not count as an Ultimate in this game, instead being a level in-between it and Champion. There's two other ultimates that are treated the same, but Digitamamon is an evolutionary dead end so it sucks.

Also early Stingmon DOES make Renamon a surprisingly good physical attacker, if only because that line is very good and makes it really easy to get one of the best Digimon in the game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

GeneralYeti posted:

The game is pretty good at separating the two halves of its gameplay.

You know, I'm still up in the air over whether a sidegame activity that only benefits sidegame activities is better or worse than one that affects the main game directly.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Waterfall of Salt posted:

If I remember correctly, Digitamamon actually does not count as an Ultimate in this game, instead being a level in-between it and Champion. There's two other ultimates that are treated the same, but Digitamamon is an evolutionary dead end so it sucks.

Also early Stingmon DOES make Renamon a surprisingly good physical attacker, if only because that line is very good and makes it really easy to get one of the best Digimon in the game.

On the flipside, Kabuterimon is considered an Ultimate in this game, despite being a Champion in official media.

I'll probably do another starter post sometime over the next couple days, it'll be either Renamon+Patamon or the three two season mascots.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Hey! Frontier's premise wasn't the problem, the problem was the writing issues! :mad:

Besides Frontier wasn't even the first series where humans became Digimon anyway, Spirit Evolution was the logical continuation of Tamers' Biomerge Digivolution.

Hell, 02 gave us Arukenimon and Mummymon who were revealed to be Digimon/human hybrids before Frontier made it into a level.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 1, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I need to point out just how bad the roads covered by trees are: they're one-tile big (so you'll hit walls if you go where you shouldn't, fine) and they contain actual deadends. You can continue because you didn't hit anything and think the game doesn't want you to turn, but it does, so you effectively went nowhere and have to backtrack. You end up kinda learning them after doing them enough, though.

Yeti, I definitely wouldn't call every labyrinth a dungeon. I called Labyrinth "Dungeon" once and my girlfriend won't stop making fun of me because of it (we were talking about Final Fantasy, who the Emperor was based on, and I got the name of the movie wrong, whoops)

Pharaohmon is definitely that easy because you're overlevelled. Last time I faced it, I needed to Jogress Evolve (Greymon/Hookmon -> Agnimon) to win. I didn't know about his Fire weakness though, because nothing in this goddamn game ever points out elemental weaknesses or resistances. You can, and in fact most likely you will, go the entire game without knowing about them. Talking about being unclear, the game is also very unclear about Pharaohmon being optional, I didn't even learn that he wasn't a forced boss until a short while ago and I owned this game when it came out.
I then had to use Blast Evolution (Greymon -> SkullGreymon) to beat Pharaohmon. This part of the game allows you to slack on the grind if you're willing to use what you get, I guess...but that's the last kindness it gives.

Also c'mon Giver, Seadramon and you link Dratini? You can do better than this.

Oh, and the boss background has more than just Omegamon's Grey Sword, it also has Knightmon's Berserk Sword.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh, and the boss background has more than just Omegamon's Grey Sword, it also has Knightmon's Berserk Sword.

So that's the one! I knew I recognized it, but I couldn't put the name to the second sword. Thanks, editing it into the update now.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also c'mon Giver, Seadramon and you link Dratini? You can do better than this.

All you're saying is that it ripped off two pokemon :colbert:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Is it just me, or am I the only one that always went "[Digimon Name 1]! [Digimon Name 2]! DNA Digivolve to...!" every time they triggered that mechanic in-game.

I mean that as a joke, of course. What kind of nerd would do something like that? :ohdear:

Chimera-gui posted:

Hey! Frontier's premise wasn't the problem, the problem was the writing issues! :mad:

Wasn't there just an entire part of the latter season where they just jobbed to the same two villains for, like, twelve episodes in a row?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Wasn't there just an entire part of the latter season where they just jobbed to the same two villains for, like, twelve episodes in a row?

That was one of the biggest writing problem that hurt Frontier.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 1, 2016

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

That was the biggest writing problem that hurt Frontier and the one people hate most.

Not the one where every character who wasn't the main hero or his rival consistently couldn't get a finishing blow in, even in their focus episodes, and had to be saved by said hero or rival? The one that eventually got so bad that they became nothing more than Super Mushrooms for the hero and rival, giving up their powers to access the main duo's stronger forms?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Kurui Reiten posted:

Not the one where every character who wasn't the main hero or his rival consistently couldn't get a finishing blow in, even in their focus episodes, and had to be saved by said hero or rival? The one that eventually got so bad that they became nothing more than Super Mushrooms for the hero and rival, giving up their powers to access the main duo's stronger forms?

Okay, one of the two biggest problems that everyone hated about Frontier.

Also the Spirits were actually incomplete Digicores, presumably the fractured Digicores of the Ancient Ten Warriors that died prior to the series waiting for the human characters who are heavily implied to be the partners of Legendary Warriors.

Let that sink in.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
SO I went and got a copy of Digimon World Dawn for me to play while I am on my trip next week. :shepicide:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Whats the one where the MC punches digimon in the face

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Chimera-gui posted:

it was stupid because it reduced the number of characters with no benefit to the writing

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mateo360 posted:

SO I went and got a copy of Digimon World Dawn for me to play while I am on my trip next week. :shepicide:

Eh that game is fine. Somewhat grindy but it's got a pretty fun battle system.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Whats the one where the MC punches digimon in the face

Digimon Savers, the second best anime (after Tamers)

corn in the bible posted:

it was stupid because it reduced the number of characters with no benefit to the writing

It was rather impressive how it literally cut half the possible cast then proceeded to completely ignore 2/3 of the cast it did have for Takuya and Koji and literally no one else, not even the sixth.

Then Hunters decided that was too little and topped it by not only ignoring its own cast in favour of only the goggleboy, but also brought back all the previous goggleboys to ignore them as well in favour of its own.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Please read my comment, the issue you're citing was with the writing not the premise itself.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
oh yeah and the premise sucked because digimon were cool and there aren't any

i'm going off my impressions as a kid here but i remember thinking some dude who throws fire was a million times less cool than having a pet big-rear end dinosaur

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

oh yeah and the premise sucked because digimon were cool and there aren't any

i'm going off my impressions as a kid here but i remember thinking some dude who throws fire was a million times less cool than having a pet big-rear end dinosaur

Except that, as stated earlier, the cast were essentially merging with the remnants of their dead partners to become Digimon themselves. Hell the finale even showed original Legendary Warriors, the ones who died prior to the series, resurrected as the human Hybrid forms and talking to their respective partners before returning the kids to the human world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Chimera-gui posted:

Except that, as stated earlier, the cast were essentially merging with the remnants of their dead partners to become Digimon themselves. Hell the finale even showed original Legendary Warriors, the ones who died prior to the series, resurrected as the human Hybrid forms and talking to their respective partners before returning the kids to the human world.

I want a growlithe. I don't want to be a growlithe.

• Locked thread